AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-04-19, 13:53   Link #681
lyricaldanichan

I have been trying out niceplayer, but the load times between episodes seem too long. I went back to
mplayer that was posted on this , thread, but noticed that the play list isn't working. Any ideas?

Here is my stats:

Intel Mac Core 2 Duo
OS X 10.5.2
1GB

thanks!
Old 2008-04-20, 02:50   Link #682
Skyjersey

Where did you download your mplayer build? Try trashing the prefs file and restart mplayer.
Old 2008-04-20, 06:19   Link #683
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchan009 View Post
Well, whatever it uses, it IS much faster for me anyway. I didn't have to lower quality settings as much with VLC, as it was able to play most high-res mkvs with deblocking on. With mplayer, I always had to turn it off.

Oh well. Some peoples' mileage may vary I suppose.
VLC doesn't offload to the video card, but it is more CPU-efficient than any other video player. It's the only one with which my friend could smoothly play a DivX movie on his old Pentium 3-era laptop. I keep VLC around mainly for when I want to watch movies on a flight, since less CPU usage means more battery life.
Old 2008-04-21, 02:44   Link #684
fyleow

Is there a Core AVC or some faster h264 decoder for Intel macs?
Old 2008-04-21, 07:08   Link #685
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyleow View Post
Is there a Core AVC or some faster h264 decoder for Intel macs?
Yes. It's been on sale for a while through their website.

HOWEVER:

No AC3 passthrough, so you may not get any sound on some files, and it will not support Subtitles either. That's not on their roadmap for another two revisions at least.

CoreAVC is only available as "Coreplayer Pro" version on OS X, and is a standalone application, so it will NOT improve the performance of VLC or MPlayer.

As it stands, you'll get greatly improved performance image-wise, but nothing else, sadly.

Otherwise I'd be using it myself!
Old 2008-04-21, 17:52   Link #686
lyricaldanichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjersey View Post
Where did you download your mplayer build? Try trashing the prefs file and restart mplayer.
Got it from this thread.. hmm didn't think about trashing the prefs .
Old 2008-04-22, 10:04   Link #687
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonezumi View Post
Yes. It's been on sale for a while through their website.

HOWEVER:

No AC3 passthrough, so you may not get any sound on some files, and it will not support Subtitles either. That's not on their roadmap for another two revisions at least.

CoreAVC is only available as "Coreplayer Pro" version on OS X, and is a standalone application, so it will NOT improve the performance of VLC or MPlayer.

As it stands, you'll get greatly improved performance image-wise, but nothing else, sadly.

Otherwise I'd be using it myself!
Not to mention there isn't much reason to use CoreAVC on an Intel Mac... as far as I know, all the Intel Macs Apple has released have had hardware capable of playing back 1080p H264 without hiccups using the normal decoders. I imagine CoreAVC would be more appealing to a PowerPC Mac owner.
Old 2008-04-24, 22:10   Link #688
fyleow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
Not to mention there isn't much reason to use CoreAVC on an Intel Mac... as far as I know, all the Intel Macs Apple has released have had hardware capable of playing back 1080p H264 without hiccups using the normal decoders. I imagine CoreAVC would be more appealing to a PowerPC Mac owner.
A 1.5 ghz Core Solo Mac mini would have issues playing 1080p I think. Even playing the 5 centimeter per second blu ray rip caused my PC to drop frames and I'm using a 3.0 ghz Core 2 Duo. Same deal with my friend's Core 2 Quad at 3 ghz. Now of course ffdshow's multi threading is a bit spotty (non existant?) so the extra cores don't really help but still that's a lot of computing power.

Switching to Core AVC had both cores under 25% the entire time.

Looks like both ffdshow and ffmpeg use libavcodec so I would imagine their performance is similar.
Old 2008-04-25, 22:02   Link #689
ichobi

That's what am about to say fylow!!! Just finished scanning through Thora 5cm Blueray rip. My 1.83 Core 2 Duo macbook cannot play it so well. in fact video comes to halt every now and then. Frame rate is incredibly low.

When I run iStat pro and I see mplayer is using only ONE of my cores. So no however much core you have it's pretty useless as of now. Raw GHZ power aint bringing us anywhere with 1080p video.

We are still have a long way to go until we get perfect one for all anime player app in Mac.

Am sure the current Macintel system lineup can play 1080p uncompressed video fine, but not with high ratio compressed Blueray rip.

Is it even possible to add multicore support for current codec and player?

Last edited by ichobi; 2008-04-25 at 22:49.
Old 2008-04-26, 12:13   Link #690
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Sure, it's possible. I'll be working on it, but it'll take a while.
Old 2008-04-26, 15:04   Link #691
ichobi

Impressive stuff on that google code page you have there, lots of promising projects. I'm sure will be looking forward your work.
Old 2008-04-26, 17:05   Link #692
Kaonashi

Send a message via MSN to Kaonashi
I'm having problems with fonts, particularly Saizen's releases of Ookiku Furikabutte. These are screenshots from your MPlayer compile and from Perian.

MPlayer OS X:

QuickTime + Perian:

As you can see, Perian displays the correct font while MPlayer fails. I've already copied the correspondent ttf fonts (Ottawa Bold) to /Library/Fonts. I was using a command-line version but since I was getting these problems, I've decided to try your custom compile.

These are the additional parameters I'm using:

Code:
-fontconfig -ass -embeddedfonts -alang jpn -slang eng -framedrop
Old 2008-04-27, 07:30   Link #693
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Kaonashi

Have you definitely turned subtitle fonts off? In Preferences, under the General tab, make sure subtitle font is set to 'None', otherwise MPlayer will override the default font. Then make sure you have said parameters enabled, and see if that makes a difference.

-Andiyar
Old 2008-04-27, 08:51   Link #694
Kaonashi

Send a message via MSN to Kaonashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
@ Kaonashi

Have you definitely turned subtitle fonts off? In Preferences, under the General tab, make sure subtitle font is set to 'None', otherwise MPlayer will override the default font. Then make sure you have said parameters enabled, and see if that makes a difference.
Everything's like you said and it doesn't give me any error on the Console. Maybe someone could download an episode and see if they have the same error?

BTW, a fc-list shows that Ottawa Bold is installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc-list | grep Ottawa
Ottawa:style=Bold
Old 2008-04-29, 07:42   Link #695
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Kaonashi

I've dropped an episode into my torrent queue, so I'll have a look when it finishes. Until it does, a quick question - have you tried cycling through all available subtitle tracks with the 'j' key? Perhaps they have multiple subtitles (.ass, .srt, .sub etc) muxed in the one container and your -slang parameter is picking up the wrong one...

-Andiyar
Old 2008-04-29, 08:58   Link #696
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonashi View Post
I'm having problems with fonts, particularly Saizen's releases of Ookiku Furikabutte. These are screenshots from your MPlayer compile and from Perian.

MPlayer OS X:

QuickTime + Perian:

As you can see, Perian displays the correct font while MPlayer fails. I've already copied the correspondent ttf fonts (Ottawa Bold) to /Library/Fonts. I was using a command-line version but since I was getting these problems, I've decided to try your custom compile.

These are the additional parameters I'm using:

Code:
-fontconfig -ass -embeddedfonts -alang jpn -slang eng -framedrop
I've seen this happen before, though it was with a subtitle file then and not an embedded subtitle track. This is an issue on MPlayer's end, not Andiyar's/Nonezumi's. The same thing happens with MPlayer on Linux. I will try and download that episode to see what happens with that one, though.

UPDATE: I'm playing the video on Ubuntu right now, and the subtitles turn out the same way you've posted. You should file a bug report with the MPlayer team and/or libass.

Last edited by Discerptor; 2008-04-30 at 16:37.
Old 2008-04-29, 15:28   Link #697
umeet

This is how my it looks when is press V ^^.
Im using official build on PPC, help needed.

Old 2008-04-29, 22:36   Link #698
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ umeet.

Please read the very first post of this thread.

Regards,

-Andiyar
Old 2008-04-30, 11:16   Link #699
Skyjersey

The official Mplayer RC2 is released today if anyone cares.

Do Intel mac users play h264 videos smoothly with the official build?

EDIT: Slow as hell fps especially when playing h264 similar to macupdates build. Reverted to haque's unofficial RC2 build on my iBook G4.

Last edited by Skyjersey; 2008-04-30 at 11:49.
Old 2008-04-30, 12:25   Link #700
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjersey View Post
Do Intel mac users play h264 videos smoothly with the official build?
I completely forgot which build I'm using these days but I know I tested the official and didn't have any issues at the time, although I wasn't trying to watch those 1280x7**-resolution fansubs with it.

Is anyone watching the 720p H.264 version of Ghost Hound from Genjo-Subs? Perian+Quicktime chokes on the audio within the first 20 seconds (before the opening even starts up) and then there's no audio after that, even if I skip around. Skipping past the pre-opening sequence doesn't seem to help much, but I forgot what the behavior is like. MPlayer has no issues with it. Can anyone confirm that they have an issue with it as well, and/or suggest a possible explanation?

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate