Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-12-11, 05:45   Link #41
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
-snip-
Proximity reasons. However, I couldn't help but notice that despite the fact that there are quite a number of Korean fans of Japanese anime and manga, there seems to be quite the bad blood between the two nations, World War II and all.

I do understand why there are little to no Korean characters in Japanese manga and anime (see above), and even if there are, they are almost always portrayed as antagonists, but most of them are portrayed as flat-out evil. You can literally count honorable Korean characters with only one hand.

Pretty much the only well-written Korean character I know of is Choi Myeong-hwa of Saki, but she isn't even full Korean, she's half-French.

I want to know what are your thoughts about this.

Last edited by judasmartel; 2015-12-11 at 05:56.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-12, 08:28   Link #42
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Proximity reasons. However, I couldn't help but notice that despite the fact that there are quite a number of Korean fans of Japanese anime and manga, there seems to be quite the bad blood between the two nations, World War II and all.

I do understand why there are little to no Korean characters in Japanese manga and anime (see above), and even if there are, they are almost always portrayed as antagonists, but most of them are portrayed as flat-out evil. You can literally count honorable Korean characters with only one hand.

Pretty much the only well-written Korean character I know of is Choi Myeong-hwa of Saki, but she isn't even full Korean, she's half-French.

I want to know what are your thoughts about this.
The level of apology Japan made to surrounding countries is no where close to the level Germany made to its neighboring countries. Japan has no desire to make such apology, even though it is mostly symbolic gesture, despite that this relationship problem is probably costing Japan Billions of dollars in lost economical opportunities. In order to justify itself, Japanese culture often makes villain of people from neighboring countries. This, in turn, does make it harder for Korean "ruling caste members" to stop criticizing Japanese anime.

Despite all this, much of political and economical power in Korea is in hands of those who acquired wealth by flattering and bribing Imperial Japanese Occupiers during early part of 20th century. Many of these people in power show blatant preference to the Japanese product/method/system, maybe to justify the fact that their parents acquired wealth through exploitation of fellow Koreans by cooperating with Japanese colonization of Korea. These people show complicated attitude towards Japanese anime, as they admire it but also use it as a pinata whenever they need to pretend to be Anti-Japanese-Korean-Nationalists.

There exist a large number of Korean intellectuals who welcome Japanese anime just like they would welcome European movies and works by Nobel Laureate . Many others, however, are nationalists who actually are unsophisticated xenophobes . Therefore reception of anime in Korea is a really complicated matter.

Despite all the complexity, the proximity to Japan makes almost everyone in Korea know a little about Japanese anime. If we assume about 5% of the population to be someone who enjoys watching Japanese anime regularly , that is almost 3 million people in a piece of land third the size of the Philippines. I also think that 5% is an underestimation as well. This density of Japanese anime fans in Korea makes it possible to enjoy anime experiences not readily available in countries outside Japan. So, despite all the bad blood, complicated history, and convoluted attitudes of the "ruling families" and the "nationalists", I still think Korea is the best place to be an anime fan if you can't be in Japan.
Old 2015-12-12, 08:48   Link #43
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
-snip-
Use anything that benefits you, indeed.

Thank you for that wonderful comment about the state of things in the Korean fandom.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-12, 10:45   Link #44
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, I wouldn't suggest that kind of cross-cultural hate is nonexistent due to history, but it's certainly important not to generalize a matter of politics and personal opinion. But this is considering the utterly embarrassing things the leaders of my own country have said about other places and I DO NOT share such opinions, especially from Neo-cons.

For example, I know that a lot of older Chinese people would not appreciate any discussion about anything Japanese related because of the terrible things that happened, but as the years have passed a lot of people have learned to place the blame on the fascists that are most likely rotting away or have rot away and lot of the younger folk don't have such a problem with Japanese culture. A lot of the vitriol is generally behind the more conservative blowhards on both ends.

Of course, many will certainly keep in mind the terrible atrocities that Japan did in World War 2 so obviously that remains rightfully a hotbutton issue, especially when radicals try to deny what happened which is genuinely offensive.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote