Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-09-25, 09:43   Link #21
pisceanreve

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
This thread is rather puzzling.

It's on Suggestions but is not particularly asking for one as far as I can tell, with the content seemingly suited for the already existing General Eroge Impressions and Discussions thread (though it seems this made some people usually unseen in that thread to appear).

Fate was heavy in chuunibyou and that genre tends to choose its audience. I didn't know that Ever17 was titled the most amazing VN ever and I kinda disagree with that, but it IS a good VN nonetheless.
yeah, the admin moved it to the suggestions page, thinking it was a suggestion thread *shrug*

I think Ever17 was probably one of the better ones out there, I should say that I am pretty picky about my stories whether it be visual novels or some other medium. I started MuvLuv (installation finally worked once I changed my locale settings to Japanese...oops) and so far it's cute, though I'm only at the beginning. I always find that I really have to adjust to the visual novel and don't find myself entertained until partway through the story.
pisceanreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-25, 09:49   Link #22
pisceanreve

To expand on Fate, I did only play the common route, but only got into the story on and off. I heard the other routes were amazing, but I just didn't really like the characters enough. I liked Rin a lot until that weird H-scene -_-

Though if a game has rape as there seems to be in the UBW route, then it will totally turn me off. The h-scene with Saber felt like that even though it wasn't intended...
The H-scenes in G-Senjou were also sort of disgusting but not as much as in Fate, so I just sort of clicked through them.
I heard it also happens in Saya no Uta. Even though it has rave reviews, I read a synopsis and might rethink that one. I'll probably just go through most of Key's stuff too XD
Has anyone played Air? Also, I will repeat: if you play anything, play Little Busters!
Old 2013-09-25, 16:09   Link #23
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceanreve View Post
To expand on Fate, I did only play the common route, but only got into the story on and off. I heard the other routes were amazing, but I just didn't really like the characters enough. I liked Rin a lot until that weird H-scene -_-

Though if a game has rape as there seems to be in the UBW route, then it will totally turn me off. The h-scene with Saber felt like that even though it wasn't intended...
The H-scenes in G-Senjou were also sort of disgusting but not as much as in Fate, so I just sort of clicked through them.
I heard it also happens in Saya no Uta. Even though it has rave reviews, I read a synopsis and might rethink that one. I'll probably just go through most of Key's stuff too XD
Has anyone played Air? Also, I will repeat: if you play anything, play Little Busters!
The common route of Fate/stay night is the weaker of the three and the most annoying to many people because of Emiya's retarded behavior.
The "rape" issue only appears on heaven's feel, unless I'm missing something, but it's not exactly shown, it's more like part of the background of a certain character.

Saya no Uta does have a rape sex scene, but perhaps it can help if you force yourself to think about what is really happening there... not that it would be any less disgusting.

Note that there is one even in Muv Luv Alternative, but I don't think that that's supposed to be erotic at all even if unlike what happens in Fate/Stay Night it is clearly shown and described in details.
Its main purpose is, anyway, to portray the traumatic experience of the character in question.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 06:32   Link #24
Jaden

I guess the F/SN VN looks good because it gets compared to the anime. Personally I was drawn in by the interesting lore, how magic, heroic spirits and such work. And I stayed for the epic and cheesy moments.

I suppose that objectively speaking it would be an average juvenile fantasy with awkward H-scenes, but that's what people like! And I'm not ashamed to be one of those people.

Ever17 is super long winded, at first I gave up because I couldn't drudge through all these routes where the same shit keeps happening over and over. But it does that to prepare you for the climax, which is arguably worth it. Certainly one of the most mind blowing plot twists that I've read.
Old 2013-09-26, 06:57   Link #25
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

I actually liked Air best out of all the Key stuff. Though with AB! VN coming, that would likely change
Old 2013-10-08, 08:16   Link #26
Xarvi

I was disappointed in fate/stay night aswell..
However, gollymoses i loved
Muvluv + alternative
They took ages to play through, however, if you're going to play them, do NOT read up about them before, people are assholes and will spoil everything.
That's one of those movies/books/vns that change how you view the world.
You have to watch Muv-luv before Muv-luv alternative, fair warning they are really... reeaaaal long. And there are quite a bit of blabbering, where you just read the thought of the maincharacter. However in this case, I just somehow really enjoyed it.
I loved the art, I love the characters, and the plot is pretty damned amazing.
It will make you happy, it will make you sad.. you'll cry and you'll be amazed.

I must say, Muv-luv is not as good as Alternative, but you sort of have to read at least the main story line in muv luv to really be able to enjoy alternative.
But now that I love you, I am afraid to lose you...
Xarvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 10:17   Link #27
AntonKutovoi

Played Shuffle! recently. Well, King of Gods and King of Demons were more interesting than all girls combined
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 15:49   Link #28
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I've only tried playing/reading a couple visual novels (G Senjou and Umineko), and yeah, they are loooong.

The sense I get from most VN fans is that the final chapters of the better VNs tend to be exceptionally good, and that may well be true, but my own experience is that getting there is a real slog. I just didn't have the patience for it. I think these VNs would be a lot better if they streamlined the narrative, and cut down on the padding.

I get the appeal of VNs - Most are romance simulators and I can't think of anything that captures that romance simulation as well as VNs do. I think that whoever came up with this entertainment medium was very inspired and creative. But the medium itself is not maximized to its full potential. It would benefit from more actual choices, giving a greater sense of interactivity. It's too much novel, and not enough game, imo.
I've played a few Visual Novels and my thoughts on them ranged from "Can't stop reading this!" to "Can this damn padding please end!". Fate is clearly on that second category for me while stuff like Clannad and Saya no Uta manage to get into the first category (however and to be fair Clannad did start to get a little tiring near the end).

Then there's stuff like the Christine Love vns that have just the right amount of content to enjoy a run in a lazy Sunday or two and still feel like coming back. Those hit the sweet spot.

I personally can't say I'm a big fan of the genre but there are some interesting works there and the game play can be used to great effect even if, sadly, it almost never is.

I wonder though if most of these stories wouldn't be better served by a presentation more in line with what Corpse Party or To The Moon had: a very simple RPG style presentation that mostly serves to drive story than gameplay.
Old 2014-01-15, 00:06   Link #29
pisceanreve

I guess I'm reviving this thread from the dead, but I just tried the first part of Cross Channel, which everyone has raved about. Once again, I don't know why everyone loves it so much. It sounds like there's a cool premise, but I don't want to be bored stiff getting there. No, what really did it was that the protagonist had huge sexual harrassment problems and was already a borderline rapist :/ I know he improves a bit later, but....yeah...
So I'm trying Clannad out now XP
Old 2014-01-15, 07:12   Link #30
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
I guess I'm reviving this thread from the dead, but I just tried the first part of Cross Channel, which everyone has raved about. Once again, I don't know why everyone loves it so much. It sounds like there's a cool premise, but I don't want to be bored stiff getting there. No, what really did it was that the protagonist had huge sexual harrassment problems and was already a borderline rapist :/ I know he improves a bit later, but....yeah...
So I'm trying Clannad out now XP
You made a good choice with Clannad! I back it!
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ever17, fate/stay night, visual novel