AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-02-03, 17:05   Link #1
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Nano fansubs:.Typesetting help, members, etc...

Hey, you may have read my previous posts under the fansub group name of ChibiDraghon Fansubs...well, it was kind of a bad name so...Nano Fansubs is our new name! Yay! [Hopefully this name is better?]

Anyways, I'm sticking to subbing Opening and Endings at the moment, due to lack of members. I was just wondering some things.

I use Substation alpha 4.08 and I know the basic type-settings such as positioning,
karaoke and font/color changing. But I was wonder, what are the codes to do such effects as fading, drop-shadowing, expanding [seen in The Triad's Popotan release [in the Opening] and such other effects?

If you are willing to teach me a few things or know a good site with some tutorials, please help out.

Also...
We need more members!!
What we are looking for at the moment:

Translators:. What group couldn't use these? The best luck we'll have
here is low-experience translators or just some people with kind hearts. We don't need anyone thats real good or perfect [not AJ bad either...] for the moment. So if your a newbie translator and can find any groups, feel free to help us!! Once we're known better, we'll most likely get the attraction of some higher-class translators, yet the newbies will also gain a lot of experience from us.
Need: TOP PRIORITY

Editors:. Well, we need these people to check over the scripts and translations. Must be able to write english as well as know a little japanese [not really manditory] Editors will simply read through the translated script and add in puncuation, fix spelling errors, and such things required in english writting. Once again, a high experienced editor is really not needed here, newbies will do well. I can also edit, so...not many are needed.
Need: LOW

Timers:. Well, we need a decent amount of people for this. This job really doesn't require too much except a lot of patience, and I mean a LOT. We really want to do a good job on timing, as most groups do. I can time fairly decent, so again, I can also help out. What you guys do is basically take the translated script,
and time in where the dialogue should occur. Be precise and accurate when doing this. The translator should leave notes of where the rough locations should be.
Need: GREAT

Quality Check:. Anyone can do this really, so it may be a nice and easy job, or even a second job to one of the existing members. Simply put, you recieve the encoded file and check the timing, audio/video quality, and english puncuation and spellings. Very basic, good job for group newbies!
Need: MEDIUM

Encoders:. This is something we desperatly need! It is quite a tough task to get everything looking good. Their jobs are [put simply] to encode the raw and scripts, and apply filters and such to make the audio and video good. Their end product results in the finished product. We want high quality video in our releases so a good encoder is nessacary!! This is needed almost as bad as a translator...
Need: GREAT

Distributers/Seeders:. These people will share our releases on P2P programs, IRC, BitTorrent [p2p, I know but still...] and other such programs. Your job is also to advertise the group a little, but not in an annoying way ^^". These people are needed to make sure our releases are actually availible for people to download.Need: MEDIUM

Raw Provider:. Our releases will be limited, unless we get a personal or group provider. This is not really needed at all, since most raws are availible to the public anyways. I guess this job could also be called a Raw Hunter, to hunt us down the raws we need.Need: LOWEST PRIORITY

Ok! So, yah, we basically need everything *sigh*
and please don't tell me to join an existing group...
I know, I know...it woukld be better but I really want to start a group
because I personally find subbing fun, but I cannot just do it alone...
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 07:56   Link #2
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
do you use the textSub filter from gabest ( found in VobSub2.23)
you have a file called ssa ( or aas ) specs it explains most of the stuff you can do with the textsub filter.

it's all basically \t options you will use.
I don't have time to explain everything, but here's a post where some guys explained it to me.
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 17:23   Link #3
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Why can't you have fun in another group?
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 17:35   Link #4
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

It would be easier...
I'm good at timing, editing [regardles of how I spell here, I'm pretty good lol], and I could also seed and be a quality check.

If any groups need me, just post or PM...
I work best on projects I like, and won't do very well on such genres as mecha/military since I get bored of those easily. I pretty much enjoy every genres except mecha
Old 2004-02-04, 17:36   Link #5
DekaMaster
Banned

I'm not really sure but you have no members but are starting a group?
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 17:43   Link #6
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Eh, yeah basically...
We use public scripts, and I can time well,
so that parts done, I try to encode, but the result isn't anything special...average. I just get by ^^"

From this point, egh, wth, Ill join a newbie group and help out ^^
Old 2004-02-04, 18:20   Link #7
lavalyn

Starting a new group

In order, from hardest to easiest to find if you're looking for members:

TRANSLATORS
Raw Providers (this is getting easier, through Winny and P2P, quality varies wildly)
Editors
Encoders
Typesetters
Timers

I think that's fair game to state with authority here, except maybe the Encoder / Typesetters, which may be reversed. Implication: develop the skillz that are in short supply, the others will follow.
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-04, 19:00   Link #8
outlaw55
Banned

I also agree it would be hard to fill all the positions, and don't expect to fill them fast, so many ppl wanna start their own group it isnt' funny. I know that just about EVERY group is advertising for timers and positions like that ALL the time, just pick a group and see if they are recruiting !!!

If you want to start your group tho, BE PATIENT! It will problably be a WHILE before you get some of those positions filled (probably translator unless you get lucky !!!)
outlaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 02:13   Link #9
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

I've decided...
The whole subbing a full episode just isn't for me, so, I thought,
why not just sub Openings and endings? I have experience, translations are easy
to find and I have a library of high quality raws for over 30 openings and endings.

I shall still be listed under the group name of Nano-Fansubs.
I will try to get my files on BitTorrent, but I will mainly be serving on IRC channels
and sending to anyone who asks.

In our openings, at the top of the screen we will have the japanese wordings,
then under that we will have the characters. At the bottom will be english translations.

We will try and get the most accurate translations, and will encode to the highest possibly quality which could take quite some time. All of our releases will also have karaoke.

The fonts again, will be easily readable, yet not too plain and will git nicly with the
theme of the series or opening itself. We may also release OGMs with switchable subs if someone would teach me how to.

Anyways, for our first release we will be putting out the Happy Lesson Opening. Shortly after that will be the ending, if I get access to the raw.
[My library seems not to have the ending listed, so I may not have access to it]

Hopefully animesuki doesn't mind us subbing licensed anime openings and endings,
we won't be doing much of them anyways.

Also, if anyone would like to help with my projects, as in providing raws
and high quality translations, please feel free to as it would help me greatly.

We are looking for translations of:.
-Stellvia of Universe OP

We are looking for raws of:.
-Final Fantasy Unlimited OP & ED1 & ED2

Last edited by ChibiDusk; 2004-02-08 at 02:49.
Old 2004-02-08, 16:14   Link #10
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
We are looking for translations of:.
-Stellvia of Universe OP

We are looking for raws of:.
-Final Fantasy Unlimited OP & ED1 & ED2
What's animesuki's policy on bits and pieces of licensed anime? =P
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 22:36   Link #11
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

hehe, not sure...^^"
anyways, check out our first project and hopefully be amazed at our quality!

http://www.hostultra.com/~realemotion/project1.htm
[sample screenshot]
Old 2004-02-09, 02:38   Link #12
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Your raw is 849 x 477? >.>
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 02:50   Link #13
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elepsis
Your raw is 849 x 477? >.>
Probably cropped down from 854x480 (I assume hack udeden is anamorphic)
Old 2004-02-09, 15:57   Link #14
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

848x480 actually
while cutting out the screenshots, I might have slipped and cut out some of the actual image or left in a little too much...so, sorry about that

And also I made a short schedule for our releases, we will have a website
up soon as well.

Future Releases
- .Hack//SIGN OP
- .Hack//UdeDen OP [848x480] -> Current Project
- Rurouni Kenshin OP [640x480] -> Upcoming Project

Last edited by ChibiDusk; 2004-02-09 at 17:01.
Old 2004-02-09, 17:19   Link #15
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
848x480 actually
while cutting out the screenshots, I might have slipped and cut out some of the actual image or left in a little too much...so, sorry about that

And also I made a short schedule for our releases, we will have a website
up soon as well.

Future Releases
- .Hack//SIGN OP
- .Hack//UdeDen OP [848x480] -> Current Project
- Rurouni Kenshin OP [640x480] -> Upcoming Project
Just one more thing, as I see all of those are licensed and that two of them are already out...
Why are you subbing these?
Translations for these are already easily available.
Are you subbing it so you can show off your SSA skills or something?
If you're just subbing it to get practice, then don't think about releasing it, because that's like Ford releasing prototype jet fighters to the public.
Old 2004-02-09, 17:38   Link #16
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

^^' Well there basically practice
and I don't think it's quite like the jet fighter
comment. I'm releasing them so I can get feedback of what people like and what they want changed.
I'm using these like this for that specific reason, translations are easily availible.
Old 2004-02-10, 03:15   Link #17
Hiou

Quote:
Translators:. What group couldn't use these? The best luck we'll have
here is low-experience translators or just some people with kind hearts. We don't need anyone thats real good or perfect [not AJ bad either...] for the moment. So if your a newbie translator and can find any groups, feel free to help us!! Once we're known better, we'll most likely get the attraction of some higher-class translators, yet the newbies will also gain a lot of experience from us.
Need: TOP PRIORITY

.... :fingers: FUCK YOU! :fingers:

:fingers:
Hiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 14:41   Link #18
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
^^' Well there basically practice
and I don't think it's quite like the jet fighter
comment. I'm releasing them so I can get feedback of what people like and what they want changed.
I'm using these like this for that specific reason, translations are easily availible.
So instead of proclaiming yourself as a fansub group, why not just do some of these on your own and then send it to your friends? You'd probably get better, more constructive criticism than sending it out to the masses. Besides, you can get a feel for what people like and don't like (in terms of personal views on typesetting choices, etc) by browsing the forums.
Old 2004-02-10, 15:33   Link #19
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiou
.... :fingers: FUCK YOU! :fingers:

:fingers:
...is this related to the AJ refrence?

anyways, fine I will do that.
Close this thread mods, its not usefull anymore