AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-07-29, 14:12   Link #41
krem

short and sweet anime, with brilliant characters and off the wall madness. clever self parodies, and good animation. love it. there could never be a second season, why does everything need a second season? short and sweet is good, second season, no no no no.
krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 01:42   Link #42
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
i never got the "Deep Story Line" but its my favorite OVA animes.
so funny. but some people dont get the funny-ness, like my friends.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-28, 20:43   Link #43
refused!

(sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I had too :P)

I loved this anime, it sounds silly, but it's one of those that could very well change your life somehow

I'm totally addicted to it. I watched it 3 times in less than 24 hours, and I can't wait to find the time to watch it a 4th or 5th time. The soundtrack, the crazyness, everything, it's just too good! The way, at first glance, it just seems freaking random and crazy, but then as you lie sleepless at night, you get all those little hints and can't wait to watch it a second time :P

Arrghh, and why don't more people want a second ova? Well, I can understand that this ending was great, but I think it also somehow made it ready for a continuation. The way Mamimi & Haruko just disappeared, Haruko without her guitarr, and especially how the guitarr string started vibrating in that very last scene. Plus, we never got to see just how strong his NO channel was, or how strong he'd be compared to Atomsk or Haruko. On second thought, maybe not a multi-episode-ova, but how about a movie? :|
refused! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-28, 22:51   Link #44
AngelKyo
Shizune is numba#1

Send a message via AIM to AngelKyo Send a message via MSN to AngelKyo Send a message via Yahoo to AngelKyo
Haruko...u have to admit, she'd be pretty sexy...if she wasn't a totally insane alien chick. But the anime was good even though it was only 6 episodes. Very funny! man this song's addicting...
AngelKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-28, 23:27   Link #45
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by refused!
Arrghh, and why don't more people want a second ova? Well, I can understand that this ending was great, but I think it also somehow made it ready for a continuation. The way Mamimi & Haruko just disappeared, Haruko without her guitarr, and especially how the guitarr string started vibrating in that very last scene. Plus, we never got to see just how strong his NO channel was, or how strong he'd be compared to Atomsk or Haruko. On second thought, maybe not a multi-episode-ova, but how about a movie? :|
Huh?

It really doesn't need anything more. Haruko doesn't need her Azureglo Rickenbacker 4001 anyone more, you'll note that in the end she left it taking Atmosk's modified Gibson EB-0 and the guitar that came from Noata's head (I can't remember it's name). Mamimi and Haruko didn't just disappear, Mamimi left for Tokyo to become a photographer and Haruko left to chase after Atmosk just as she had been doing before. As for Noata's NO channel, it was pretty much closed after Atmosk escaped through it and with the plant destroyed nothing else will be coming out of it.

Continuing the story through after the fact OVAs would really ruin its briliance. Especially if you knew how the manga ended...
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 01:51   Link #46
The Yellow Dwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxial
yeah, it's one of my favorites. It's probably the first anime that I'd ever thought about as much as something like The Catcher in the Rye (and please god, i hope you know that's a book, and that you've read it ). I might have to watch it once again to try to undestand it all. There's just something about it that makes it cool. Some people that say "I don't get it"... well, think about it more.
I almost completely agree with you. FLCL is pretty much one of the most amazing anime ever produced (and I don't care how clueless the producers may or may not have been). Only that I think a better comparison for FLCL is Murakami Haruki's Norwegian Wood, simply because of its slightly more uplifting look at the struggle between innocence and maturity in the growth of a young boy (and a little bit of similarities in the plot), while Catcher is just downright depressing and more complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClancyDamon
I thought I recalled from my teacher that you never mixed up words between the two character sets, meaning writing one word in both Katakana and Hirigana. Kanji obviously denotes a Hirigana spelling, so I'm wondering why this combination is. Why is her name spelled half foreign, with Katakana, and half native, with Kanji?
Haruko isn't her real name. Her name IIRC is Raharu which is probably foreign and spelled entirely with katakana. Since she went to Japan she had to fake a Japanese name, so she called herself Haruko (which is sort of like a pretty standard girl name). And she probably didn't decide on the kanji for "haru" so she just kept the katakana.

I quite agree with the sentiment that FLCL shouldn't have a second season, for the same reason I don't want to see an old fat superman who can barely lift his coffee in the morning and coughs unchewed bacon bits all over his newspaper. However, I'm actually quite taken to the idea of a movie that takes place much much much later in Naota's life - when he's old and fat and sits at his table in the morning barely able to lift his coffee and coughs unchewed bacon bits all over his newspaper while contemplating his life. But that kind of movie can be made from a different setting altogether.
The Yellow Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 08:05   Link #47
refused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Huh?

It really doesn't need anything more. Haruko doesn't need her Azureglo Rickenbacker 4001 anyone more, you'll note that in the end she left it taking Atmosk's modified Gibson EB-0 and the guitar that came from Noata's head (I can't remember it's name). Mamimi and Haruko didn't just disappear, Mamimi left for Tokyo to become a photographer and Haruko left to chase after Atmosk just as she had been doing before. As for Noata's NO channel, it was pretty much closed after Atmosk escaped through it and with the plant destroyed nothing else will be coming out of it.

Continuing the story through after the fact OVAs would really ruin its briliance. Especially if you knew how the manga ended...
I know they didn't just 'disappear' into nothingness, but they did infact 'disappear', Mamimi to Tokyo and Haruko after Atmosk. Yes. How do we know that his N-O channel is closed, though? And I know Haruko had the two guitarrs with her, combined into one, but that doesn't change the fact that she left HER guitarr there, with Naota, and that 'it's' string started vibrating in the end. Maybe it's supposed to mean something to the story, but to me, personally, it meant that it wasn't finished.

Maybe that was the whole point, though, to symbolize that things never 'are finished' or something, I don't know, but it also, in the same time, opens up for another new story, a continuation. At least in my opinion.
refused! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 00:12   Link #48
muramasa007

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchunter226
Well i was watching T.V. and discovered an anime named FLCL, i watched the first episode. It is by far the starngest anime i have ever seen, its so weird and hard to follow, other than that its is decent artistry (other than intentional bad parts) and has a very cool soundtrack. Has anyone else seen it? and what did they think of it?
I thought the anime wuz a great one cuz the story has secret messages. these messages are not reconized becuz you need to watch the movie (or OVA's) seriously and carefully in order to know wut the author meant in certain scenes
muramasa007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 01:25   Link #49
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

FLCL had one of the most conclusive and awesome endings I've ever seen in an anime. Nothing more is needed, and any attempts to expand on it would just detract from its greatness.

Six episodes, no more, no less, just perfect.

FLCL was indeed awesome, if albeit a bit confusing at first.
Old 2004-09-04, 02:45   Link #50
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
FLCL had one of the most conclusive and awesome endings I've ever seen in an anime. Nothing more is needed, and any attempts to expand on it would just detract from its greatness.

Six episodes, no more, no less, just perfect.

FLCL was indeed awesome, if albeit a bit confusing at first.
i agree

but raharu = laharl????
prolly not.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 04:44   Link #51
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I felt the need to post this late night, sleep deprived realization...

Within the first few minutes of the first episode of FLCL Mamimi can be quoted as saying "He who conquers the left side, conquers the world!" I had never given this any particular thought until a few moments ago while reading a promotional ad for vintage Vespas that contained an almost identicle statement. At first, given the context the line is used in, I originally assumed Mamimi was meaning batting from the left side.

Now it should go without saying that many of the top guys at Gainax own and drive vintage Vespa but what makes that line stick out is how abstract it is. Only in recent years did Vespa switch to making their scooters controllable via the right hand like every other major motor cycle and scooter manufacturer. This is the key to it all! All the original Vespa scooters were made to be controlled via the left hand, accelerating and gear shifting had to be handled through the left hand. This made sales in countries outside of Europe difficult since most other products of that type were controlled via the right hand and the difference was too difficult for many to overcome. However, after Audrey Hepburn rode a Vespa around in the movie Roman Holiday sales sky rocketed. To encourage further sales in North America and other countries, Vespa adopted the slogan "He who conquers the left side, conquers the world!" This played nicely with some of their other slogans that said things like "Vespa - the world awaits."

Anyway... that's my little rant for the night. Enjoy.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 14:36   Link #52
kazi_kage
Life Liver

Send a message via AIM to kazi_kage
FLCL (or Fooly Cooly or Furi Kuri)

FLCL was possibly one of the most intriging anime ever made. I say this for a few reasons. One of those is in episodes # 1 and 5 when they had a whole portion done in a style that was stationary, but was full of motion. I am speaking of the infamous 'moving manga', which when the director told the animation team to do, they called him insane.

Now I ask you, do you think that they will ever release a sequel? I really hope so....

"What is the definition of Furi Kuri Haruko-san?" - Mon-chan
kazi_kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 15:12   Link #53
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazi_kage View Post
Now I ask you, do you think that they will ever release a sequel?
No thanks --- i don't feel like its needed. A sequel would feel like its happening just for the sake of it, and this show doesn't need that.
Old 2007-05-11, 23:35   Link #54
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But that's the point of sequels. They are done imo to make money, satisfy fan demands and/or right any grievous wrongs with the first series.

If there is material left to use and they do it right, then go for it imo. Gainax can effectively milk a cash cow after all.
Old 2007-05-12, 02:31   Link #55
ibreatheanime

If they made a sequel to FLCL, it wouldn't be good. I loved those few episodes, but there is no way the story would work well in a sequel.
ibreatheanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 04:07   Link #56
Ella
:3 <3

Talking Flcl

Is anyone else here a huge FLCL fan?
I love the show and the manga, I thumbed quickly through the forum, so I'm not sure if there is a thread on the show yet, but if not I'd like to start one here.
Post whatever you'd like about the show ^_^
Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-02, 06:04   Link #57
kevin13
Disabled By Request

Just finished watching it.

Weird weird weird!

Omfg, smacking people with guitars??

But an awesome show, I've enjoyed it.
kevin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 00:35   Link #58
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
I really enjoyed FLCL. The music is really great in my opinion. And the art for the most part was pretty good. The whole series was just kind of abstract but I loved watching it anyways.
Old 2007-12-22, 11:28   Link #59
CrazySunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by refused! View Post
(sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I had too :P)

I loved this anime, it sounds silly, but it's one of those that could very well change your life somehow

I'm totally addicted to it. I watched it 3 times in less than 24 hours, and I can't wait to find the time to watch it a 4th or 5th time. The soundtrack, the crazyness, everything, it's just too good! The way, at first glance, it just seems freaking random and crazy, but then as you lie sleepless at night, you get all those little hints and can't wait to watch it a second time :P

I agreed with everything but the last paragraph... that ruined your image of the anime for me, lol.

But this is and always will be my favorite anime, if something can surpass it, my brain will explode. There is so much depth as well it's crazy, especially in the characters themselves (except for Haruko). When an anime buys several albums from a band to do their whole sound track it has to mean the anime is something special, especially when that band is The Pillows.

Really people re-watch it over and over. First view you get is it's wierd, and the more you watch it over, the more you find symblism, metaphors, more plot and foreshadowing. It's ****ing crazy!!!

I mean it's probably just because I didn't really care about Amaro's eyebrows, but I finally got why he wears them, I missed a small detail in episode 5. They block the N.O. stream, that's why he gave them to Naota and was mad when he took them off, that's why in episode 5 he scrambled to find them when Haruko was going to use the N.O. stream of his forehead. Can't belive I missed that...

WHY DO WE NOT HAVE A WHOLE SECTION FOR THIS ANIME (OR DO WE?)?! IT SERIOUSLY HAS SO MUC DEPTH FOR DISCUSSION!
CrazySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 11:36   Link #60
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord

FLCL was a very interesting anime. 6 episodes was definitely enough, and it was all the anime needed to achieve greatness. ^^
Scala Caeli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gainax