AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-12, 09:21   Link #1
refused!

mind recommending a title or two? :)

I haven't watched that much series, since I just started watching, and I don't have any close friends that like anime either, so I thought I'd give it a try and ask if you have any recommendations for me..

My fav. anime is currently Full Metal Panic?. Followed close by Love Hina, Naruto, Hunter X Hunter and Chrno crusade. I've also watched Avenger, Battle Programmer Shirase, Gunslinger Girl and Hellsing, altho I also like them ALOT, they are nothing compared to fmp? and LH, imho.

I'm looking for something that has a good plot. Besides that I like everything from Action to drama to humoristic (sp?) animes.

I'm also thinking of getting Noir, anyone knows if it's worth watching?
Old 2004-04-12, 15:03   Link #2
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Noir is a good series, has a deep plot like Avenger. Noir has nice Dvd package too. ^^

Have you try:

- One Piece - Action, adventure, comedy - about Luffy and his pirate crew's adventure trying to cross the Grand Line to find the legendary treasure One Piece. highly recomended.
- Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - Drama, romance - very touching love story and friendship.
- Shingetsutan Tsukihime - romance, fantasy - story about vampires.
Old 2004-04-12, 15:34   Link #3
Keiokie

Send a message via MSN to Keiokie
I'll suggest a few ones that I've seen and liked.

Cowboy Bebop - Adventure, Comedy, Action
Spike, Ed, Faye, and Jet are a crew of Bounty Hunters searching for money, and bounties.

Vampire Hunter D - Action, Some romance, tragedy
A vampire named D who hunts other vampires. Hes trying to find a girl who was kidnapped. Good series.

Full Metal Alchemist - Action, tragedy, humor
Very... original series. Two boys lost their mother, and almost their lives by trying to revive her. They search for the philosophers stone.

Hoped that helped. A few other series I dont feel like getting into depth, but I highly recommend. Utena, Hikaru no Go, Nasucaa, and Angelic Layer.
Old 2004-04-12, 20:05   Link #4
7thMethuselah

I'll stick to those available on animesuki that are excellent choices in my opinion.

Da Capo : (Romance - drama - magic)
Basically a highschool romance story about one boy and the women around him who all have something going for him. One day, Junichi's cousin and childhood friend, Sakura Yoshino came back from America all of a sudden. To Junichi's surprise, she looks exactly the same as the girl that moved away six years ago, and hasn't aged one bit. And she came back to remind Junichi of their childhood promise... It is a bittersweet tale of magic, love, hidden desires, and unattainable dreams. First half is rather light, second part is very tragic and dramatic and something you can't stop watching ...

Kanon : (Romance - drama - magic)
Boy returns to live with his aunt after being away for 7 years. He meets several girls he knew before but he doesn't remember any of them, the story revolves about current and previous things that happened between him and them. Heartwarming, at times depressing , a touch of magic but very beautifull.

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien : (Drama- Romance)
A love story (very dramatic and at times depressing) about a triangle relationship between a boy and 2 girls. Takayuki is together with Mitsuki and just when their relationship starts to grow, tragedy strikes, what follows is a very tragic story of a guy being torn between 2 women and the suffering this brings upon those women and his environment. It was considered as one of the best anime of 2003 and I completely agree with that.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime : (Mystery - Romance - Horror)
Shiki Tohno sustained a life threatening injury as a child, and due to that incident he was sent away from the Tohno household and was given to a relative to be raised. Years later, he is ordered to move back in by his sister Akiha, who is the new head of the household. However, Shiki holds a huge secret. Ever since his injury, he has been seeing lines on objects, and only with a special pair of glasses is he able to stop seeing them. Also he is unable to remember anything well from the time before his accident. Then he meets Arcueid who claims he has killed her and in ordor to repay he has to help her ... The story revolves around the mystery surrounding Shiki and his relation with Arcueid, Romance and mystery with a little bit of action.

Peace Maker Kurogane (Historical - action - comedy)
Tetsunosuke Ichimura has always been upset about his short stature. After he sees his parents being murdered by a Choushuu assassin right in front of him, he vows with all his heart to become strong enough to take revenge on their killer. It is now 1864, the first year of Genji. Tetsunosuke, now 15, heads to the headquarters of the Shinsengumi with his older brother Tatsunosuke, looking to join the historical group to fulfill his dreams of getting stronger. Little does he realize what he is about to experience by doing so, for in order to join this army, one must forego his humanity and become a demon.

Scrapped Princess : (adventure - fantasy - science fiction)
Pacifica Kasull is the most feared and hated person by the followers of the God Mauzel. Known as the Scrapped Princess, she is the poison that will destroy the world. To avoid being killed by the zealots of Mauzel, Pacifica and her adoptive brother and sister leave the village of Manilin. Her brother, Shannon, is an expert with the sword while Racquel is proficient with magic. At every step of the way, however, someone is constantly trying to kill Pacifica, hoping to somehow avert the catastrophe that is supposed to befall the world on her 16th birthday.

Yumeria : (comedy - ecchi)
On his 16th birthday, Tomokazu Mikuri had a realistic dream where he sees a girl battling a giant floating monstrosity. When he wakes up, he is surprised that the girl is actually sleeping next to him... Whenever he sleeps from now on, he ends up back at the dream world, and more and more people that he knows keep showing up there too. He finds out from a mysterious masked woman in the dream world named Silk that they are fighting against one named Faydoom, and he is the one who provides the powers to those girls so that they can fight these monsters. And so it goes

Gilgamesh (Mystery - Action - Dark)
A very mysterious end-of-the-world anime that left me feeling like EVA and Lain did when i finished it. The ending is alot clearer that those two however. The story : In the desert of Mesopotamia (current Iraq) the grave of the legendary king Gilgamesh is discovered. In it scientists find alot of secrets but then a terrorist called Enkidu penetrates the grave with the event called Twin X as result. From that moment all computer drop dead, the sky is turned into a mirror and society as we know it falls apart. The story picks up 10 years later, the world lies in ruins as Kiyoko and Tatsuya get chased by the Yakuza. They are safed by the mysterious Gilgamesh children who have some weird powers, who offer to help them but then they get attacked by a group of kids that appear to have telepathic powers. What follows is a story that keeps you guessing who the good guys and bad guys are and that revolves around the secrets surrounding tatsuya and his sister, Gilgamesh, Twin X, ...
Old 2004-04-12, 21:00   Link #5
MasafumiGotoh

Quote:
Shingetsutan Tsukihime : (Mystery - Romance - Horror)
Shiki Tohno sustained a life threatening injury as a child, and due to that incident he was sent away from the Tohno household and was given to a relative to be raised. Years later, he is ordered to move back in by his sister Akiha, who is the new head of the household. However, Shiki holds a huge secret. Ever since his injury, he has been seeing lines on objects, and only with a special pair of glasses is he able to stop seeing them. Also he is unable to remember anything well from the time before his accident. Then he meets Arcueid who claims he has killed her and in ordor to repay he has to help her ... The story revolves around the mystery surrounding Shiki and his relation with Arcueid, Romance and mystery with a little bit of action.
7th has a very good choice of anime to sugguest but Shingetsutan Tsukihime IMO takes the cake for best anime of 2003. Its short(sadly) but the story is magnificient. Presented in dark themed style with a story that unfolds slightly in each episode. Charecter development is in the middle of good and excellent and because some charecters are like "WTF i wanna know more about so and so."
Overall though its not bad as a miniseries. This one I am buying when it is licensed here in the States.

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien is 2nd place. But 13 episodes for a love triangle is a little bit too long. It is dramtical so it shouldnt be short either. The anime provides comic relief in some parts but for fans that like love hina and ai yori aoshi might not pull a person in the anime very well in the beginning. Although I never finished the anime(i dont regret it, I will finish it someday) this anime is a helluva anime. Maybe a taker when released on DVD.

If you want humor how about a RPG parody of your favorite RPGs when it was 1993ish. Mahoujin Guru Guru is your choice!(do i sound like a commercial?) It features 2 13 year olds(Kukuri and Nike) on a adventure to stop the evil Giri that was sealed 300 years ago but now released! I cant give much of a summary but it is quite funny. Most people however will not get the hang of animation which was made in 1993. However i watched this when i was in Hong Kong in 1995 and i actually whined to my mom I wanna stay at Hong Kong till the series end. Was never licensed in USA and i dont think it will be.
Old 2004-04-13, 06:05   Link #6
refused!

thanks for all answers, I'll check them out!
Old 2004-04-13, 07:08   Link #7
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Edited, sorry.

Last edited by Thyrz; 2004-04-13 at 13:57.
Old 2004-04-25, 07:24   Link #8
Innotech

I definitely recommend Haibane Renmei, Kino's journey, Noir, Millenium Actress, Last Exile...but I REALLY want to see Scrapped Princess. I know its licensed but I hope its releasing soon. Ill definitely buy it.
Closed Thread