AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

View Poll Results: Darker Than Black - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 14 16.87%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 27.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 25.30%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 18.07%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 6.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.20%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.20%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.20%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-30, 12:53   Link #41
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
July is pretty cool,.

So Hei is giving Suou drunken ninja training eh? She will be pretty badass soon enough.

The Nika-clone has deathflags now, or all variations of Nika come with an expiration date.

And finally, Hei, I think your cool, but stop smacking a little girl around. Your training her, yes, but for the love of god stop with the extracurricular beatings. Its kinda gut wrenching to watch a girls face get bloodied via an adults punch to the face while the girl is defenseless.
Old 2009-10-30, 12:56   Link #42
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
And finally, Hei, I think your cool, but stop smacking a little girl around. Your training her, yes, but for the love of god stop with the extracurricular beatings. Its kinda gut wrenching to watch a girls face get bloodied via an adults punch to the face while the girl is defenseless.
While Suou isn't 100% defenseless I agree those scenes were making me uncomfortable. I don't watch anime to see young girls get beaten up, I watch anime to see women of all ages do all kinds of ass-kicking!
Old 2009-10-30, 13:33   Link #43
Strange
Incoherent at best.

By the way, BSS posted some notes about the "me kill Yin" line from the last episode:

Quote:
Now, to clear up some confusion in episode 3. When Mao asks where Yin is, Hei replies with "Yin... I... I will kill 'her.'". It's hard to translate the first line when Hei doesn't use any verbs. Some ideas as to what he might have meant may be:

"I left Yin to die."

or

"I abandoned Yin."

Something along those lines, though I can't be sure of course. But this means that the person he means to kill doesn't exactly mean that it's Yin, but most likely the person who caused Yin to "die", be taken away from Hei or cause whatever happened to her. The best answer to this though is to wait and continue watching DtB as the story unfolds, which I'm sure you all will.
http://dtb4.pastebin.com/f5b6a0a8
Old 2009-10-30, 13:43   Link #44
Reka

So I just watched this episode and I thought that it was hilarious and interesting.
Old 2009-10-30, 13:51   Link #45
Freeter
beyond

The July and Suou smile expressions killed me

Seeing Misaki light up at the sight of Hei's poster was also hilarious

Suou is certainly going to become as badass as Hei near the end, so watching her take some lumps wasn't that disheartening. Not saying that I condone violence towards women (or little girls), but most of the situations where she was hit were ones that she fell into herself by provoking Hei. I'm sure once their relationship improves and he starts putting down the bottle he won't be as rough towards her.

Meanwhile, lesbian ninja girl gets more creepy and awesome with each appearance
Old 2009-10-30, 13:53   Link #46
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Hei and his attitude which gives us most of the dark feeling. That's why he's such an unconcious molester and woman beater now. Not to mention the backgrounds...the devestated Tokyo is somehow depressing if you take notice of it.
It has that dark feeling, but I think it has many comedic elements too. For example Mao reduced into a cute-mascot full of comedic scenes.
Anyways I am interested what happens next. It seemed from the previews Misaki is almost spot-on locating Hei(while every agency is struggling to even locate the town where he is)...man, Hei sure left a formiable opponent alive
Old 2009-10-30, 13:59   Link #47
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

I am definitely no fan of Hei smacking Suou around but I just know that it goes towards character development. I also think what Hei says is true, they live in a kill or to be killed environment. I meant when was the last time we saw a contractor asking questions before going for the kill? I guess Hei has his way of making her understand the current situation.

EDIT : most of you guys say that Suou is a girl, a child, but in the world they live in she's a contractor and that's the end of it. In their world she's just like every other contractor (which makes Norio important because he doesn't see her as one) who will either be used as a weapon or be killed. If Hei actually treats her like a 13yr old instead of training her then they both be dead.
Old 2009-10-30, 14:09   Link #48
Strange
Incoherent at best.

I think Hei's just smacking her around because he wants her to hate him. Why? Most likely, because of what Hei's supposed to do with her after he trains her. Hei's in his 'emotionless contractor' mode that he was in for much of season one--he's afraid to be hurt again, and abusing her is one way of insuring that there's no feeling of loss when something happens to Suou.

We all know that Contractors do have feelings, and Hei wasn't even one in the first place. Then in the preview, we see him staring at July and Suou as they sleep, and I think it's safe to assume he's starting to feel something for them.

Norio annoys me and I'm kind of peeved that they'll be in this city for the next episode, and probably the one after as well. Get to Tokyo already!

Oreille is also bound to drop Misaki/Yayoi some juicy info about BK201... that should be interesting.
Old 2009-10-30, 14:20   Link #49
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnzsz View Post
lol . I just watched the raw and felt like I was watching Léon.
lol...that means with Hei training Souu, she will eventually fall in love with him like in "The Professional"
Old 2009-10-30, 14:24   Link #50
Sassarai
Army of One

Hei is a drunk and a child abuser now. So different from than his goofy self in season 1.
Old 2009-10-30, 14:28   Link #51
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Hei is a drunk and a child abuser now. So different from than his goofy self in season 1.
Depression + alcohol = dead beat dad?
Old 2009-10-30, 14:31   Link #52
Strange
Incoherent at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
Depression + alcohol = dead beat dad?
Toss in a flying squirrel and you have a soap opera in the making.
Old 2009-10-30, 14:50   Link #53
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

Hei slapping Suou around didn't bother me at all, since if Suou was a boy Hei would still be slapping him. Gender is irrelevant, here, so I have no problem being amused at those parts. I think you guys are being a bit over-sensitive about that aspect.

I think human vs contractor plays a bigger role in whether Hei would actually slap Suou or not, seeing as how he didn't hurt Suou as much when she was just a regular human (outside of binding her).

Though the one slap pre-contractor was excusable since it probably hit an emotional string.
Old 2009-10-30, 14:51   Link #54
Zetsuen_no_Myuu
ボクは、ボクを全て殺す

No one noticed the bit of subtext with Suou's stomachache/strange feeling, and the whole scene at the bar?

Spoiler for Suou:

When she said to Mao about already being a woman...she literally meant it.
Old 2009-10-30, 14:52   Link #55
Strange
Incoherent at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailEmperor View Post
No one noticed the bit of subtext with Suou's stomachache/strange feeling, and the whole scene at the bar?

Spoiler for Suou:

That scene made me wonder what a man was doing with tampons, actually.
Old 2009-10-30, 15:33   Link #56
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

I liked this episode the most so far, Because the jokes and characters remind me of some of the goofiness from season 1. Its the feeling of them being in a town and interacting with these different colorful characters which just wasn't present in the previous episodes. That said i really hope Kurusawa and Kayanuma return for at least one episode seeing as they were my favorite character from last season.
Old 2009-10-30, 15:44   Link #57
Haladflire65
*Artist

It was an interesting enough episode. Am I the only one that's not liking Suou much? I liked Hei much better as the central character. With the little girl as the heroine, it's... I don't know... losing the DTB feel.

The story's not bad, though, and July's smiling cracked me up. Actually, Suou's the only thing that's bothering me... Not enough to drop the series, though, I really want to find out what happened to Yin.
Old 2009-10-30, 15:47   Link #58
Tsuchi

Quote:
I think Hei's just smacking her around because he wants her to hate him. Why? Most likely, because of what Hei's supposed to do with her after he trains her. Hei's in his 'emotionless contractor' mode that he was in for much of season one--he's afraid to be hurt again, and abusing her is one way of insuring that there's no feeling of loss when something happens to Suou.
Agreed. His hobo way of life is proof of his angst too.

Cool episode. Nice to see something more lighthearted for a change instead of lots of characters dying before getting any real development.

So now Hei doesn't seem to eat. At all*. Damn. And he doesn't seem too drunk either, even seeing that the quantity of alcohol he swallows without eating is pretty absurd. It's more like the alcohol just makes him seem more pissed off. The changes in his character are almost shocking.

Suou actually gained charm points in this episode (I laughed at the dance scene) for me. With funny faces to boot.

What I didn't exactly like of this episode? Samurai girl is an obvious lesbian (fact that was already pretty much noticed in the previous episodes) who is already harassing Misaki. Sigh. I'm not fond of Yuri flicks, and I at least hoped for this series to be free from that, but noooo.

Anyway, this episodes keeps the average. I want to know more about what the fuck happened to Jin. And what about the two lolis that accompanied Madame Oreille? I kind of expected them in this episode.

* He may still do it in the background, duh.
Old 2009-10-30, 15:58   Link #59
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchi View Post
What I didn't exactly like of this episode? Samurai girl is an obvious lesbian (fact that was already pretty much noticed in the previous episodes) who is already harassing Misaki. Sigh. I'm not fond of Yuri flicks, and I at least hoped for this series to be free from that, but noooo.
That's also one of my other criticisms that season 2 has just been too full of fanservice, We've seen it in every episode now. The producers just wanna cram it in as much as possible. It wouldn't be a problem if it were funny or original but here it just strikes me as terribly bland and repeated.
Old 2009-10-30, 16:04   Link #60
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by HailEmperor View Post

Spoiler for Suou:

I caught that the second time through, but you cant really know if it was her first or not, though it always may have been. Im glad we are getting a more true to life dynamic though.

Contractors are human beings like everyone else. She is still just a girl, which Mao pointed out to hei before he silentlyraged and went to get more booze. I wonder how much of Bai he is seeing in this relationship?
Closed Thread