AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-28, 00:51   Link #1981
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Speaking of Masashi Hamauzu the Final Fantasy XIII OST came out today so here's to finally no longer having to listen to muddled youtube quality renditions of the tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
This rather late, but I haven't seen it posted in thread:

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/2010/01...e-of-2009.html
Another month another entirely predictable set of statistics from a Japanese otaku magazine. Ho hum......
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 04:57   Link #1982
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Kitase confirms Final Fantasy XIII DLC

Back in December, Square Enix hinted that downloadable content was being considered for Final Fantasy XIII. Now, a new quote from producer Yoshinori Kitase has all but confirmed the inevitability of extra content for the huge RPG sequel.

"At first we had plans to release the game simultaneously worldwide," Kitase tells Official PlayStation Magazine. "So we had the intention to deliver identical version between the regions. When we noticed that we wouldn’t make it, we decided to release the game as fast as possible in the west after its release in Japan. We initially had doubts to add extra content to the western version but then it would have taken the international version more months of delay. We did prepare DLC but it will arrive a little later in the west."

This is the first solid mention of DLC since December's hint, which would indicate that DLC is pretty much a given now. As to what the DLC will actually be, who could guess? Why not give a try yourself, and let us know what kind of content you'd like to see?

Source: http://www.destructoid.com/kitase-co...c-161766.phtml
Now to wonder what it's gona be. Must be extra dungeons and such
And how much it'll be ...

Also it's out what the european Special Edition is:

Quote:
  • FINAL FANTASY XIII Original Sound Selection: Soundtrack CD including a selection of music tracks from the game that are especially chosen for this Limited Collector’s Edition by composer Masashi Hamauzu. The CD is presented inside a slipcase featuring artwork from FINAL FANTASY XIII, and also liner notes that are written by the composer.
  • The World of FINAL FANTASY XIII: Hardback book featuring character artwork, CG rendered artwork and environments from across the game production.
  • Exclusive Art Prints: 3 highly collectable art prints showing artwork of the Eidolons, powerful summoned allies of the lead playable characters in FINAL FANTASY XIII
  • Unique ‘Brand of the l’Cie’ decal: Collectible decal featuring this most iconic symbol from the game storyline
The traditional cover without Lightning seems to be on the slipcase thing or whatever it is. Pretty similar to the CE of Dissidia. No real must haves, but a nice touch.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 09:56   Link #1983
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
Now to wonder what it's gona be. Must be extra dungeons and such
And how much it'll be ...

Also it's out what the european Special Edition is:

The traditional cover without Lightning seems to be on the slipcase thing or whatever it is. Pretty similar to the CE of Dissidia. No real must haves, but a nice touch.
i was hoping for character skins (preferably characters from previous FF series) although i doubt that but one thing for certain hard-to-obtain items will be in the DLC and maybe new side stories? like in AC2.
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 17:53   Link #1984
Gunbladeuser
Trace... ON!

=_=
I don't like DLC, especially not in RPGs.
I hope it's something really unneccessary like costumes or something.
If it turns out that the DLC is something like addition to the story, then...
Gunbladeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 18:09   Link #1985
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbladeuser View Post
If it turns out that the DLC is something like addition to the story, then...
At most it'll be side stories, though i wouldn't mind extra costumes.
Old 2010-01-30, 18:47   Link #1986
Westlo
Lets be reality

I wouldn't be surprised if Versus has DLC announced from the get go... Square need to do something about the high amount of used copies that happened with XIII (happens to lots of other games too). Due to the high price and the linear nature of the game people are racing through them so they can return them, DLC content similar to say.. Mass Effect 2 might help with that.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 21:22   Link #1987
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

march 9th eh. i'll be home for spring break then. excellent.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 04:08   Link #1988
stpehen
kisses for all

Gah, this pope boss at the end of Chapter 9 is wrecking me up. I get him down to about halfway and then he uses the autodeath time limit and he spams that ultimate attack often enough that I can never break him. I think I need to spend some time upgrading my equipment...
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 05:47   Link #1989
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen View Post
Gah, this pope boss at the end of Chapter 9 is wrecking me up. I get him down to about halfway and then he uses the autodeath time limit and he spams that ultimate attack often enough that I can never break him. I think I need to spend some time upgrading my equipment...
That's precisely what I did prior to fighting him, since people were saying it was such a hard fight and this was the chapter to grind for materials. Got Lightning's second weapon and beefed up Sazh and Vanille's weapons before going in.

I had Sazh enhance everyone while Lightning went to town on the side faces, with Vanille on healing duty. After the faces were gone, I made sure to keep the buffs going while continuing the assault. Managed to make the boss flinch before he fired off his ultimate move, even causing him to miss at one point

Only got three stars for the effort, but at least it was on the first try and he never cast Doom on anyone.

Last edited by Freeter; 2010-01-31 at 15:18.
Freeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 06:49   Link #1990
stpehen
kisses for all

Yeah I googled for some Japanese wikis and they said max out crystalium, farm for credit/premium chips and buy crank shafts to upgrade your weapons. I've done barely any upgrading since the beginning so I'll probably try to boost what I've got on hand and try him 1-2 more times before I surrender to the grind...
Old 2010-02-01, 09:41   Link #1991
stpehen
kisses for all

Got the bastard! No idea how you're supposed to take him down in 8 minutes. I was lucky to beat him in 22.
Old 2010-02-03, 19:49   Link #1992
Iron Maw
Banned

Looks like both Scenario and Battle Ultimania are out and some translations of interview are here:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j.../P1080150s.jpg

Quote:
Toriyama- We made the map and battles function as parts of the story, so that players get the same feeling as the characters. To achieve this, we wanted the story to progress nonstop, until chapter 11.

-FF13 has fewer towns compared to previous FF games, is this related to the nonstop story?

Toriyama- yes, it is one of the reasons, but more importantly, it is a result of considering HD graphics will be the mainstream. Considering the amount of works to make graphics that deserve HD, it is hard to make towns in the conventional style. In the limited period of development time, to convey the the great story that deserves the name of FF and to convey the battles that entertain players enough, we condensed each element.

Kitase- this thing is related to whether FF7 remake will happen or not. It is very hard to make games on PS3 in the same style as the games in that era had. Making graphics will take enormous time.

Toriyama- this time we put together each element, and made them function fully.

Other interesting interview
-Why no MP this time?

Tsuchida- this time the abilities are made on the assumption that players use them based on the situation. For example, Firaga is not always better than Fire. Which is better is based on the situation. But if there is MP system, even in a situation where Firaga is better, it might not be used because of the shortage of MP, or to save MP, players might not use it. To avoid this, only ATB take costs so that players make full use of strategy.

Concept of the story
Toriyama- we made FF13 to show "what is FF". the concept of the hopeless situation in the game came from the actual situation of the society in the real world.
We want people to find hopes in the hard situation and make miracle happen as Lightning and heroes will do.

-As the first FF title on PS3, you had the strong ambition to introduce something new, right?

Toriyama- Of course. But FF games have always done new things, so not as a first title on PS3, but as a numbering FF game, we took over the spirit. This time, we decided in the first that the concept of FF13 is "the future form of RPG" We imagined how RPG will be in the next 10 years and we designed FF13 that will become the pioneer of the future form of RPG.
Some character info:

Quote:
Lightning---21---171cm
Snow---21---200cm
Vanille---19---161cm
Sazh---40---189cm(including afro)
Hope---14---153cm
Fang---21---175cm
Serah---18---164cm
Dajh---6---117cm(including afro)
Nora---163cm
Bartholomew---178cm
Gadot---21---192cm
Lebreau---19---168cm
Maqui---17---162cm
Yuj---19---181cm
Galenth---185cm (Galenth was designed by Nomura and not Nao Ikeda)
Cid---199cm
Yaag---190cm
Jihl---166cm (176cm with heels)
Rygdea---180cm
Amodar---186cm
Some scans:
http://ffplanet.exteen.com/20100203/...ario-ultimania

BTW, The OST is pretty awesome probably up there with my favorites FFVI,VIII and X.

<mod edit: link removed>

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2010-02-03 at 22:28. Reason: You may not link to OST rips or streams
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 01:05   Link #1993
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Wow, I didn't expect Lightning to be that young. She's at most only a few months older than Snow? I didn't see that coming. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 01:48   Link #1994
Xion Valkyrie

The way Toriyama imagined the future form of RPGs is completely the opposite from the way I'd imagine it.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 01:55   Link #1995
problemedchild
ô_ô

I'm probably in the minority here, but does anyone else not like transformable summons? Killing your enemies with magical dust kicked up by your magical Shiva bike feels.... a bit underwhelming.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 02:28   Link #1996
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
I'm probably in the minority here, but does anyone else not like transformable summons? Killing your enemies with magical dust kicked up by your magical Shiva bike feels.... a bit underwhelming.
From one of the interviews, apparently the transformable summons were thought up by the gameplay team, whereas the art team was adamantly against it.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 02:55   Link #1997
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
From one of the interviews, apparently the transformable summons were thought up by the gameplay team, whereas the art team was adamantly against it.
Ya, I saw the news. Too bad for me the gameplay team won.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 22:47   Link #1998
kyosak
poo

Guys, I've finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a PS3 (solely for this game)!

Where is the best place to purchase a JP copy of FF13 from the US?
Apparently PlayAsia is having some kind of sale? http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...I-70-3m3l.html

Does that look like a good deal?
kyosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 23:52   Link #1999
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemedchild View Post
Ya, I saw the news. Too bad for me the gameplay team won.
The merchandising department and the higher-ups executives probably lent their supports too as an excuse to sell exorbital overpriced toys :-

Odin and the others are apparently in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
Guys, I've finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a PS3 (solely for this game)!

Where is the best place to purchase a JP copy of FF13 from the US?
Apparently PlayAsia is having some kind of sale? http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...I-70-3m3l.html

Does that look like a good deal?
It's a very good deal. But I should caution you about what to expect from this game given that there is a reason why the price is slashed from this title which is not even a season old.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 00:48   Link #2000
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
But I should caution you about what to expect from this game given that there is a reason why the price is slashed from this title which is not even a season old.
You just won't give up.

It's actually because it isn't the Japanese firstpress. You'll also notice that it has the "Asia" icon as opposed to the Japan one, and the box shot isn't from the Japanese version. You will notice that the Japanese firstpress edition sells at the same store for double the price.

Tags
final fantasy, ps3, rpg, square-enix, xbox 360