AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-15, 17:33   Link #1961
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otani-kun View Post
The song doesnt fit with the trailer (nor the game) at all imo. :x
In my books it did, especially the first half of the trailer. It's just the trailer went into "let's show random scenes one after enough at light speed", which didn't help it much.
Old 2010-01-15, 18:25   Link #1962
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Here's an interesting observation from various incarnation of Amazon worldwide upon the preorder status of this game as of 07:20 16/1 local time :-

US :-

UK :-

Canada :-

You know, it's alright if SEX want to extend their consumer base to earn more profit from this title, but I expect more from the 360 crowds if the penetration rate is as high as MS claim they are from North America and UK. Or maybe the rumour is true that 360 people cares only for shooters and not much for other genre.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 18:37   Link #1963
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

^ I think it might be due to the fact that this is the first mainstream Final Fantasy game to be on a system other than a Sony one (that piece of crap Final Fantasy XI doesn't count). Even though its on both systems, and some people own both systems, its likely that the PS3 version will be higher in sales and these rankings because Final Fantasy has been a Sony franchise for pretty much the entirety of the last decade. There is sure to be some uncertainty about the 360 version of the game. People seem reluctant to change, and I hear a lot of bitching about the disk-swapping factor, though this likely means that these so called "fans" never played any of the PS1 FF games. Disk swapping is like a Final Fantasy tradition

I for one have both a PS3 and a 360, but I opted to preorder the 360 version, primarily because:
a) Achievements
b) I'm honestly curious to see how it will play on the 360.

And I am a 360 gamer primarily, and I love multiple genre's of games, not just shooters. I can't speak for anyone other than myself obviously, but that stereotype is getting so annoying. It doesn't help that the original Xbox got shafted when it came to RPG's. I don't think this stereotype would exist if it had had even a few more DECENT RPG's, but then again, RPG's are only one genre out of a dozen or more, so really one genre of game shouldn't define a console.

Well, thats just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
Old 2010-01-15, 18:52   Link #1964
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
You know, it's alright if SEX want to extend their consumer base to earn more profit from this title, but I expect more from the 360 crowds if the penetration rate is as high as MS claim they are from North America and UK. Or maybe the rumour is true that 360 people cares only for shooters and not much for other genre.
Nah, it's because Mass Effect 2 is coming out. Honestly it's hard to get hyped about FF13 when ME2 is coming. It's ranked a lot higher than FF13 by the western audience, including me.

Not to mention almost everyone who has both consoles is going to buy it on the PS3, including me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
b) I'm honestly curious to see how it will play on the 360.
Have to say I'm curious as well. To bad none of my friends is getting it. :/
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 22:24   Link #1965
Xion Valkyrie

I think I'll wait until the reviews are out before deciding between Xbox360 and the PS3 version. Since I have both systems, might as well grab the superior version.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 07:00   Link #1966
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So apparently after composing what may be the biggest soundtrack of his life Masashi Hamauzu has decided to split from Square Enix. This is a big shame since I had really been hoping he would stay on and become the new main composer for the franchise.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 10:59   Link #1967
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So apparently after composing what may be the biggest soundtrack of his life Masashi Hamauzu has decided to split from Square Enix. This is a big shame since I had really been hoping he would stay on and become the new main composer for the franchise.
I suspect it's no coincidence that he chose now to venture off; with a soundtrack like this under his belt, he should have no problem finding work. I suspect many composers would prefer to be in a position where they can decide their own projects and work on their own terms, but most of them just aren't known enough to make that feasible. (At least when you work for a company, you get a consistent paycheck.) Of course, it's either that or he got "scooped" by some other company, but I don't think that's too likely. I think he probably just decided that he can be his own brand now.
Old 2010-01-20, 12:36   Link #1968
rg4619

Game composers have been breaking off from their companies for a long time now. I already thought Hamauzu (who was already highly acclaimed but lacked a mammoth hit in his resume) would become independent after FFXIII.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 23:36   Link #1969
Xion Valkyrie

From everything I've heard and read about FFXIII, I wonder if it could still even be considered a RPG. It seems like it's really a game from a different genre, hence people going in expecting a grand traditional Final Fantasy, but instead get something completely different.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 08:07   Link #1970
Animelover#1
Kouta...

can't wait for this game. I recently re-completed FFX as that game was epic.
This one is just the same but in HD with many improvements :3.
This is gonna be one for the ages.
Animelover#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 10:19   Link #1971
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Probably because Uematsu is back composing the OST for FF14, which he didn't like.^^
Old 2010-01-24, 08:01   Link #1972
Hope Estheim
A Hope of Light beckons..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post

Spoiler for yes, i know...:
Seriously now, you really hated it that bad? I thought it was just moderately passable, it wasn't outstanding, but it was worth the watch, if only for the tears. Maybe it's just Cloud.

Quote:
Well, FFX was bascially some random Japanese/Korean love drama playing out in the studios of SQEX and on your PS2s.
That's harsh. Really harsh. Now I've gotta admit that since FF7, the plots veered away from traditional Final Fantasy plotlines like that in FF6, I thought it was a welcome move to suit the FF fans who were maturing since they first had FF1 and 2.

But the last time they tried to return to the original, FF9 wasn't to my liking.

And neither were FF11 or 12, so I kept away from FF until now, BECAUSE LIGHTNING IS HAWT. Yeah. (What's wrong? In real life I date someone 8 years older than me.)

Quote:
FF13 is different, it's closer to some Bible-influenced storyline, with people willing to stand up against tyranny (think Daniel and his 3 friends who were thrown in the furnace vs King Nebuchanezzar), which is closer to the original FF.
Right of opposition, sir, but I think it's more of growing, whether it be growing up (specifically Hope) or growing emotionally (Lightning, and to a lesser extent, most of the cast). That's the real idea of FF, a Bildsrungroman if you will.

Quote:
Well, if anything, I just got my hands on FF13 today (IN JAPANESE). ...

And I just have to say this: Other than Ligtning and Hope, ALL THE CHARACTERS are FLAT. Really now, how bad does it have to go?
Not true. I'd say it's progressive, to say the least.

Fang and Vanille: For the first time in FF, a lesbian coupling.

Snow: He's different, I swear. The first white in FF that isn't a saviour or something.

Serah: Some say she's typical. I beg to differ. At the very least, she's strong-willed. Though I do have reservation on her choice of men, like Lightning does.

Sazh: Racial diversity 1. There's another one. Later. And it's not his child.

Lightning: She's HAWT! I mean, she's able to evoke the Terra Branfort thing, only with a certain kinda sex appeal that you'd be hardpressed to find, and more so to explain.

Hope: He shares a surname with me. That should make him an Australian Aboriginal like me.
But on a serious note, his boomerang and neckscarf do hint at some Aboriginal thing, but I doubt it's on his dad's side. Probably his mom's side if anything. It IS fairly common to find female warriors amongst Aboriginals.

Then again, he should be a descendant of the Stolen Generations, given the fact that his family is pretty well off.
Hope Estheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 08:12   Link #1973
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
How is it a big shame? If anything we're going to see more work from Masashi Hamauzu now than if he was still tied to Square-Enix. Yoko Shimamaru is handling Final Fantasy XIII Versus & The 3rd Birthday, Takeharu Ishimoto has Final Fantasy XII Agito and Uematsu is confirmed for Final Fantasy XIV. Doesn't exactly leave much for Hamauzu does it? A HD Kingdom Hearts is probably the next biggest game after the FF titles and Shimamaru will of course be handling that. Sure he probably would've got FF XV whenever that comes out but yeah I'll like to see more from him in the 5 years before that comes out.

And most Square Enix producers split from them once they score a major Square game, for the reasons relentless said. It's not like him leaving Square prevents him from doing the next major FF after XIV. Yoko and Uematsu doing the next two main FF games show that...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 08:22   Link #1974
Hope Estheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
How is it a big shame? If anything we're going to see more work from Masashi Hamauzu now than if he was still tied to Square-Enix. Yoko Shimamaru is handling Final Fantasy XIII Versus & The 3rd Birthday, Takeharu Ishimoto has Final Fantasy XII Agito and Uematsu is confirmed for Final Fantasy XIV. Doesn't exactly leave much for Hamauzu does it? A HD Kingdom Hearts is probably the next biggest game after the FF titles and Shimamaru will of course be handling that. Sure he probably would've got FF XV whenever that comes out but yeah I'll like to see more from him in the 5 years before that comes out.

And most Square Enix producers split from them once they score a major Square game, for the reasons relentless said. It's not like him leaving Square prevents him from doing the next major FF after XIV. Yoko and Uematsu doing the next two main FF games show that...
I agree. When Steve Jobs was booted out of Apple, he created Pixar. For all you know, Hamauzu could now set up a records company and have greater freedom on composing music. It's all good.
Old 2010-01-26, 02:53   Link #1975
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Hmmmm....yeah when you put it that way I guess it is probably best for him to go freelance.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 04:47   Link #1976
Iron Maw
Banned

This rather late, but I haven't seen it posted in thread:

Quote:
Dengeki has released the results of a readers poll in which people voted for what they thought was the best game of 2009. A list of the top 20 has been published on their website and Final Fantasy XIII has managed to secure second place. Although there has been a backlash of Japanese fans who have complaints ranging from Final Fantasy XIII's linearity to there being no levels, it still seems to have won people over. See the full list of top 20 games below.

1. Dragon Quest IX
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. Tales of Vesperia
4. Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver
5. Steins;Gate
6. Phantasy Star Portable 2
7. Demon’s Souls
8. PERSONA3 PORTABLE
9. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
10. Tales of Graces
11. Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam Next PLUS
12. Monster Hunter Tri
13. Love Plus
14. Bayonetta
15. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA
16. Shin Megami Tensei STRANGE JOURNEY
17. Layton-kyoju to Majin no Fue
18. THE IDOLM@STER SP
19. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
20. MACROSS ULTIMATE FRONTIER

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/2010/01...e-of-2009.html
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 05:48   Link #1977
Hope Estheim

Across the Causeway in Singapore, Straits Times reveals that Asia isn't getting XBOX FFXIII. Region coding on XBOX and HD-DVD to blame.
Old 2010-01-27, 07:06   Link #1978
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Estheim View Post
Across the Causeway in Singapore, Straits Times reveals that Asia isn't getting XBOX FFXIII. Region coding on XBOX and HD-DVD to blame.
No. It all boils down to SEX's decision to make the 360 port a Euro-American exclusive.

But hey, if you manage to snag a Japanese 360, you can play the 360 release. It's a very little known fact that the Japanese 360 console is able to play American and European regioned coded game as part of MS's tactic to capture the Japanese Market.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-27, 13:10   Link #1979
Animelover#1
Kouta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Estheim View Post
Theres two ways around this, buy a foreign xbox and buy the foreign FFXIII, or search the internet for a way to hack your xbox and remove the region coding - however doing so will invalidate your warrenty and may break your console so do so at your own risk.
Animelover#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-28, 00:44   Link #1980
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Quote:
Trivial information supporting the above statement: Sakimoto was already working independently as a founding member of Basiscape (along with Iwata) when he was called in to score FFXII (though I suspect Matsuno called for it since the two worked together so often).

So yeah, Hamauzu going out on his own doesn't preclude him from working on future Square projects. In fact, it allows him freedom to compose for non-Square games! More Hamauzu music is something that I'd like to see personally
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy, ps3, rpg, square-enix, xbox 360