Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-27, 22:29   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Sonic X question

Just curious of something dealing with Sonic X. Back about 6-9 months ago I started asking about this series but was immediately told the series was licenced and the thread was locked. So I simply took it at that and left it alone. Then when I went back to check on when the DVD's would be out in the states, come to find out there's no trace of them. A little more hunting revealed that Sonic X is not listed on any of the licenced anime databases anywhere, nor on Xris's list of anime episodes, nor do any anime companies that I can find take claim to it.

So, my question is this. IS it truely licenced, and if so, by who? Or is it one of those weird licences like Hi No Tori had? I'm really curious because I got a sneak peak at the first couple of episodes and I'm dying to get this on DVD. If not DVD, then fansub to hold me over till I can get it on DVD. Does anyone know anything about this? I really want to clear the fog on this so I know for certain what's correct on this because I'm getting mixed signals.
Old 2004-08-27, 22:35   Link #2
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Just curious of something dealing with Sonic X. Back about 6-9 months ago I started asking about this series but was immediately told the series was licenced and the thread was locked. So I simply took it at that and left it alone. Then when I went back to check on when the DVD's would be out in the states, come to find out there's no trace of them. A little more hunting revealed that Sonic X is not listed on any of the licenced anime databases anywhere, nor on Xris's list of anime episodes, nor do any anime companies that I can find take claim to it.

So, my question is this. IS it truely licenced, and if so, by who? Or is it one of those weird licences like Hi No Tori had? I'm really curious because I got a sneak peak at the first couple of episodes and I'm dying to get this on DVD. If not DVD, then fansub to hold me over till I can get it on DVD. Does anyone know anything about this? I really want to clear the fog on this so I know for certain what's correct on this because I'm getting mixed signals.
its still airing on FoxBox on saturday mornings.
so if its showing on american television, i guess you can say its licensed.
and my guess is Funimation. or possibly 4Kids.
if u want the sub, i got the link but i cant show it here.
i too was watching the series for a while but i didnt download thru bittorrent then.
Old 2004-08-27, 22:42   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Ah! I didn't know that. Then again, I don't have cable TV either. Of course that now poses the question of why I couldn't find the dvd's when I went looking. Hmm. Time to do some more digging again I guess. :\

EDIT: Nevermind, I just checked Amazon again and THIS TIME they had it when I searched. (stupid amazon) Ok, so that answers that. Oh, and per Amazon, Funi has the licence. So that answers all my questions now. Thanks again.
Old 2004-08-27, 22:57   Link #4
Suikun

No, 4Kids owns the license to Sonic X, and they are the ones who produced the English dub. They also own the Fox Box on which Sonic X airs.

FUNimation is merely the distributor of the DVDs - 4Kids gives FUNimation the source materials and FUNimation authors, packages, and sells the DVDs. Nothing more.

But, regardless, 4Kids definitely owns the license for Sonic X in the US. In fact, it's been heavily rumored that 4Kids is funding/co-funding an additional 26 episodes to be produced after the initial 52.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and yeah, there is a group subbing Sonic X by using HK DVD-rips but re-timing and cleaning up the grammer. If you go this route, it should be easy enough to find - just know that if FUNimation ever releases it subtitled on DVD, you'd all darn well better support it. 4Kids needs to know there's a market for kids' series in Japanese with subtitles.

Last edited by Suikun; 2004-08-28 at 13:05.
Old 2004-08-28, 01:17   Link #5
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Ok, that would make sence. Funi and 4kids have done it before, so this shouldn't really be different. But since we're on the subject of sonic x I have another question.

Why in heavens name do they keep trying to use so much english? I mean I have no problems with it, but one, they're butchering the language in their attempts at it, and two, it's a shocker to have to go from doing the japanese language to someone with uber poor english skills. It just seems weird to me is all.
Old 2004-08-28, 05:01   Link #6
anthonyxscotland
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
Oh, and yeah, there is a group subbing Sonic X by using HK DVD-rips but re-timing and cleaning up the grammer. If you go this route, it should be easy enough to find - just know that if FUNimation ever releases it subtitled on DVD, you'd all darn well better support it. 4Kids needs to know there's a market for kids' series in Japanese with subtitles.
Or they could go out and buy the Korean or Thai Sonic X dvds which come with English subtitles, and are legit and support the creators.
Old 2004-08-28, 13:27   Link #7
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun

The group in question has real translators please don't spread around stuff like that. and 4kids doesn't really care much about anyone over 13 that doesn't watch cartoons in the morning. And anyone who talks about Ultraman Tiga go watch it sometime.. HK dvds have better editing.
Old 2004-08-28, 19:27   Link #8
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
The group in question has real translators please don't spread around stuff like that. and 4kids doesn't really care much about anyone over 13 that doesn't watch cartoons in the morning. And anyone who talks about Ultraman Tiga go watch it sometime.. HK dvds have better editing.
Actaully, the group he mean is a group a friend of mine is doing it. They are using the HK subs. So....yah.
Old 2004-08-28, 21:18   Link #9
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

hehe. Guys. What about my last question I asked?

IE. What's up with them using so much english in the show?
Closed Thread