AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-18, 13:23   Link #1
tenzin

The generic "Licensed Anime FAQ!" thread

Edit by Mod: Lately there have been a few redundant threads asking questions about the conditions of Licensed Anime, such questions as "What happens to a Licensed Anime?” or "Is Anime Fansubs Illegal?" There is a link to a page on the main site that explains it all but it seems a lot of people don’t even see it or don't bother checking. So without further ado here's the link: Licensed Anime.

From now on all new threads which is covered by the "License Anime FAQ" or threads with similar topics will be moved here.
Old 2004-08-18, 13:32   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Umm... yes.
Old 2004-08-18, 13:34   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

They're released in america whenever the company good and well feels like it. I've seen some series go as long as 3 years before we see it and not every series is english dub (thankfully). A small number of the smaller name releases are subbed only and released onto TV and DVD for kids to watch. From licencing to release is rarely less than 6 months. Usually 9 month to a year normally, sometimes two. Some go to TV, some go to anime networks, some just come out on video/dvd. So there's not really any one "standard" persay on how they hit the shelves and in what time frame. Of course some releases, One Piece for example, are worked on for years and years (2-5) before they're announced as licenced in the US and then released to the public.
Old 2004-08-19, 04:40   Link #4
Djares

I just have to ask this about licensed stuff ...

Hi all,

Just want be make sure I understand something.

If something gots licensed in the USA does that mean it would still be illegal to distribute that anime in Europa where it is NOT licensed?

If I understand it correctly, those licenses are country based.

For example, Saint Seiya is NOT licensed in Belgium, so would it be illegal to distribute that from that location since there is not license in that part?

I was just wondering because it seems so many people are scared to death when something got licensed in USA but he .... USA != rest of the world

So if something gots licensed there, why not move distribution to where it is not?

I was just wondering that, because I did saw servers hosting anime freely because they were located outside the USA.

Or is it because ALL the fansubs are location in USA? That would explain a lot too

Thanks!

Djares
Old 2004-08-19, 05:30   Link #5
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djares
Hi all,

Just want be make sure I understand something.

If something gots licensed in the USA does that mean it would still be illegal to distribute that anime in Europa where it is NOT licensed?

If I understand it correctly, those licenses are country based.

For example, Saint Seiya is NOT licensed in Belgium, so would it be illegal to distribute that from that location since there is not license in that part?

I was just wondering because it seems so many people are scared to death when something got licensed in USA but he .... USA != rest of the world

So if something gots licensed there, why not move distribution to where it is not?

I was just wondering that, because I did saw servers hosting anime freely because they were located outside the USA.

Or is it because ALL the fansubs are location in USA? That would explain a lot too

Thanks!

Djares
Here we go again... Fansubbing itself, regardless of what series, licensed or unlicensed, are all illegal for all countries bound by the Berne Convention. The act of fansubbing, starting from the collection of raws to distribution, are all illegal. What is being done here is done in something of a grey area where the authorities and the parties with the legal standing have chosen to not pursue severe legal recourses against fansubbing--that choice may or may not change in the near future.

This site, to my understanding, currently exists to promote anime by providing links to the fansubbed shows in hope that having seen these shows, or part of them, a person will be more likely to purchase them when they become legitimately available in his/her area.

I'm not one to speak for the heydays of tape-based fansubbing--there are many rants by complich that should explain at lot. Search for them. But the idea (or ideal) or fansub was basically to promote and encourage the legitimate release of a show. With a show already licensed to release, the existence of fansub of that show is then moot. The ethical fansubbers then cease the production and the distribution of fansubs of the licensed show

That's how it's supposed to work.

What's known as "illegal fansubs" here are more like "unethical fansubs" where the fansubber continues to fansub a show even after the show is licensed for release.

AnimeSuki does not allow links to those fansubs.

Regarding the "international contraversy": At AnimeSuki, all fansub distributions of a show are pulled the moment a U.S. distribution license is confirmed. It's not about "being unfair" to the rest of the world as it is about the terms of a particular U.S. license, which can very well cover all international distribution outside of Japan. AvatarADV, or Andrew Kent, a Subtitle & Scripts guy(watch the ED credit of ADV DVDs) at ADV has repeated stated that just because you are outside the U.S. doesn't necessarily mean you are in the clear in terms of "ethical fansubbing" of a licensed show.

For the areas that don't have proper distribution of anime, many have chosen to import Region 1 (North American) DVDs, many of them can be found at the forum of this website:
www.animeondvd.com

Many of them are quite happy, from what I can read.

Last edited by Melazoma; 2004-08-19 at 06:54.
Old 2004-08-19, 05:52   Link #6
anthonyxscotland
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
Here we go again... Fansubbing itself, regardless of what series, licensed or unlicensed, are all illegal for all countries bound by the Berne Convention. The act of fansubbing, starting from the collection of raws to distribution, are all illegal. What is being done here is done in something of a grey area where the authorities and the parties with the legal standing have chosen to not pursue severe legal recourses against fansubbing--that choice may or may not change in the near future.

This site, to my understanding, currently exists to promote anime by providing links to the fansubbed shows in hope that having seen these shows, or part of them, a person will be more likely to purchase them when they become legitimately available in his/her area.

I'm not one to speak for the heydays of tape-based fansubbing--there are many rants by complich that should explain at lot. Search for them. But the idea (or ideal) or fansub was basically to promote and encourage the legitimate release of a show. With a show already licensed to release, the existence of fansub of that show is then moot. The ethical fansubbers then cease the production and the distribution of fansubs of the licensed show

That's how it's supposed to work.

What's known as "illegal fansubs" here are more like "unethical fansubs" where the fansubber continues to fansub a show even after the show is licensed for release.

AnimeSuki does not allow links to those fansubs.

Regarding the "international contraversy": At AnimeSuki, all fansub distributions of a show are pulled the moment a U.S. distribution license is confirmed. It's not about "being unfair" to the rest of the world as it is about the terms of a particular U.S. license, which can very well cover all international distribution outside of Japan. AvatarADV, or Andrew Kent, a Subtitle & Scripts guy(watch the ED credit of ADV DVDs) at ADV has repeated stated that just because you are outside the U.S. doesn't necessarily mean you are in the clear in terms of "ethical fansubbing" of a licensed show.

For the areas that don't have proper distribution of anime, many have chosen to import Region 1 (North American) DVDs, many of them can be found te forum of this website:
www.animeondvd.com

Many of them are quite happy, from what I can read.
Couldnt sum it up better myself. From my understanding, when the American licence is sorted out, its generally for the english speaking terrority rights, hence why it comes off anime-suki. That doesnt mean that local groups couldnt translate it in to French, German etc, as long as that language rights had not been licenced also.
Old 2004-08-19, 12:42   Link #7
Just a subtitler ^_^

Don't -ever- make an assumption about the territories included in a license. Even if the company comes out and says "we hold the license for these territories", it doesn't mean they might not have the rights to more in the contract. By way of specific example, you have no idea whether Saint Seiya is licensed in Belgium or not. (Nor do I, actually. ;p)

On top of that, the Japanese companies -themselves- are getting more and more annoyed about this, and have been starting to do something about it.

Like I've said before, this is not a good subject upon which to play amateur lawyer. The financial damages are designed to dissuade large corporations; even the minimums are enough to wipe out most individuals.
Old 2004-08-19, 13:45   Link #8
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarADV
Don't -ever- make an assumption about the territories included in a license. Even if the company comes out and says "we hold the license for these territories", it doesn't mean they might not have the rights to more in the contract. By way of specific example, you have no idea whether Saint Seiya is licensed in Belgium or not. (Nor do I, actually. ;p)

On top of that, the Japanese companies -themselves- are getting more and more annoyed about this, and have been starting to do something about it.

Like I've said before, this is not a good subject upon which to play amateur lawyer. The financial damages are designed to dissuade large corporations; even the minimums are enough to wipe out most individuals.
Well, Saint Seiya is licensed for Belgium in case you wanted to know. I can know since i have quite a few DVD's of them (french subbed and dubbed however), not to mention you can buy those in just about any anime related store in belgium.

Back on topic : yes it's still illegal even if there is no license for belgium. Besides, once a series gets a region 1 license, it's very very easy to get in our country (belgium), all anime stores import region 1 stuff, not to mention that an internet anime postorder company is stationed in Hasselt (archonia.com).
Old 2004-08-19, 14:15   Link #9
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarADV

You always say you are not against fansubbing as long as it's not licsened. But you always seem to make anti fansubbing statements. And this coming from a person who's company started as fansubbers.
Old 2004-08-19, 15:16   Link #10
rman0099
On my nut

If you truly think about it, no matter how much companies like ADV complain and do, they cannot stop fansubbing. Whether done ethically or unethically it can't be stopped. Just like Hollywood tries to stop the distribution of movies over the internet but doesn't succeed. There are always going to be people who do this and the files are going to be available.
Old 2004-08-19, 15:55   Link #11
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman0099
If you truly think about it, no matter how much companies like ADV complain and do, they cannot stop fansubbing. Whether done ethically or unethically it can't be stopped. Just like Hollywood tries to stop the distribution of movies over the internet but doesn't succeed. There are always going to be people who do this and the files are going to be available.
that may be true, but that doesn't justify piracy either. The fact that something is available doesn't make it legal (or right to obtain it).
Fansubbing is technically spoken illegal but if the fansubbers respect the ethical code they made for themselves, I see no harm done. After all with out the preview I get through fansubs i'd probably buy alot less anime.
Bootleggers, those are the really evil guys that are destroying the industry, not only do they prey upon other peoples work (and are litterally stealing their money), they also steal money out of the pockets of honest fans who want their favorite series, and instead get a low rate version of it.
Old 2004-08-19, 16:03   Link #12
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
You always say you are not against fansubbing as long as it's not licsened. But you always seem to make anti fansubbing statements. And this coming from a person who's company started as fansubbers.
I'm sure the fansubbers who started ADV 12 years ago were more ethical than most fansub groups around nowadays. Then again, I'm sure most fansub groups 12 years ago were more ethical than most fansub groups are nowadays.
Old 2004-08-20, 11:29   Link #13
rman0099
On my nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
that may be true, but that doesn't justify piracy either. The fact that something is available doesn't make it legal (or right to obtain it).
That is very true, but sadly that is the nature of file exchange. And we can all admit to piracy in one way or another. Downloading music, movies, and/or already licensed anime. If I download anything like that though, I make it something that I would have never intended to spend the money on in the first place. If it were something I was willing to buy I might as well wait for it since I'll have it eventually.
Old 2004-08-20, 16:47   Link #14
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman0099
That is very true, but sadly that is the nature of file exchange. And we can all admit to piracy in one way or another. Downloading music, movies, and/or already licensed anime. If I download anything like that though, I make it something that I would have never intended to spend the money on in the first place. If it were something I was willing to buy I might as well wait for it since I'll have it eventually.
It works the other way around for me, if there is something that looks very interesting to buy, I'll try getting in from the net to check it out, if I like it, I'll buy it afterwards, if not, I'll delete and forget about it, so in both cases, I didn't commit a great act of piracy and am buying stuff.
Applied to anime : I do not buy ALL series I watch, I don't earn that much money, I buy what I can afford and what I really liked.
I kinda apply this strategy after I got sick and tired of yet another misbuy, from now on i live by the "try before you buy" strategy
Old 2004-08-20, 17:33   Link #15
rman0099
On my nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
from now on i live by the "try before you buy" strategy
Exactly, and i think thats what ADV and other companies don't understand. Fansubbing should be allowed to give you that sample. It's the same way for Elfen Lied. I have been really excited about it but I can't even think about buying it until I see a little more of it.
Old 2004-08-20, 17:52   Link #16
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

This question has been answered lots of times before. Next time please use the search button on the top of the page before starting any new thread. Thread closed.
Old 2004-08-24, 13:59   Link #17
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Naruto and the rest of licensed anime...

Speaking of licensed anime... what about Naruto?!

Hasn't Naruto been licensed for months?! Then why does animesuki keep showing links to download naruto dor nearly every fansubber?

This really ticks me. Naruto is probably one of, if not THE most popular anime series in the anime community all over the world. It's increadibly easy to get!

Then we have series like Kodomo no Omocha, which must be one the HARDEST to find! And I found out that animesuki doensn't link to it anymore because of their licensed series policy.
This is only "discriminating" the old (and unknown) series!

Shouldn't this policy be aplied to EVERY licensed series, like Naruto?
Old 2004-08-24, 14:04   Link #18
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug
Speaking of licensed anime... what about Naruto?!

Hasn't Naruto been licensed for months?! Then why does animesuki keep showing links to download naruto dor nearly every fansubber?
Naruto (anime) has not been licensed yet. Why in the world do you think it has been.
Old 2004-08-24, 14:15   Link #19
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Because of the hoax some wiseguy prankster posted about a month ago about Naruto been licensed by 4-KIDS.

Which was a complete dupe, moronic, and 'C' class, cheesy prank.
Old 2004-08-25, 05:25   Link #20
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Naruto (anime) has not been licensed yet. Why in the world do you think it has been.
My apologies then. Sumimasen...
Closed Thread