AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-04-12, 01:22   Link #1
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Do you believe Harem Males are "Wusses" compared to the normal guy?

I dont know if someone else was here when I decided to create this topic, but to you guys, do you believe that in Harem Anime the males always loses their composture in front of women or when given an oppurtunity to finally lose his virginity doesnt succumb to temptation. Do you believe this is against the code of the average joe where in a similiar situation for us Hormones will go haywire at such situation. So what are your views on this? Do the Harem Males need a boost in confidence when it comes to intelligence, or this is a strengh rather then a flaw?
Old 2007-04-12, 01:24   Link #2
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I think your generalization is actually fairly accurate for the majority of harem series. That's probably why the folks over on the Kanon forum are singing the praises of Yuuichi for not being a stereotypical wimp. Honestly, if there's something that needs a breath of fresh creativity, it's this. Many harem shows are rendered completely unwatchable to me because of this (well, that and my below-average tolerance for ecchi/fanservice).
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 01:28   Link #3
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Well, considering how anime girls automatically bend over (figuratively and literally) to the "nice guy," I would say it is an asset. Not surprisingly, the perverts within the harem series always get the short end of the stick.

However, harem series are often adaptations of the h-games where the male leads are not afraid to go the extra mile, yet, the games only follow a particular girl's route so having the conviction would not bring consequences to relationships with other girls.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 01:33   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Agreed. The 'traditional' male harem character is so dead and reeking... yeah, there will always be 'the shy guy' ... but usually he's unaware that girls are chasing him. There are all sorts of possible character personalities that could end up in such a competition... also they need to get out of the damned highschools and into college more often.

OTOH, I don't consider it a flaw for guys to have some chivalry or respect for a girl when it comes to being selective about when to have sex or not.
Old 2007-04-12, 01:36   Link #5
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
Well, considering how anime girls automatically bend over (figuratively and literally) to the "nice guy," I would say it is an asset. Not surprisingly, the perverts within the harem series always get the short end of the stick.

However, harem series are often adaptations of the h-games where the male leads are not afraid to go the extra mile, yet, the games only follow a particular girl's route so having the conviction would not bring consequences to relationships with other girls.
I am not seeking a perv for a main lead, just some guy who has charm and the moxy needed to screw one of the chick in the series (nothing graphic, just the proof afterwards is good enough). Yet maintain a level-head consistency as he goes to his other girls as if nothing too extreme happened. Why cant we have more guys like that? Playboys seem to be in short quantity in Harem Anime.
Old 2007-04-12, 01:51   Link #6
Dark Lord Zenigame
ロリコン

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lord Zenigame
...I wouldn't call that "charm" at all. That's just being a bastard.
Dark Lord Zenigame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 02:54   Link #7
DanielSong39

Some example of "non-wusses":

Makoto (El Hazard) - Must give the guy a bit of credit for choosing a girl and sticking with her. Never was really interested in anyone else.

Hiroyuki (To Heart) - A prototype dating sim male. Helpful to girls, but not really interested in a relationship.

Jyunichi (D.C. ~ Da Capo) - Comes through when it counts; genuinely loves both Sakura and Nemu, but knows that he must choose. And he does.

Kenji (Lamune) - Only has eyes for Nanami. Not exactly a spoiler...

Haruhiko (Gift ~ Eternal Rainbow) - He has a lot of conviction, and always does what he feels is right.

Yuuichi (Kanon) - Well, he isn't a "wuss", but a bit on the domineering side.

And for my "Hall of Shame":

Keitaro (Love Hina) - Anyone with a spine would've dumped Naru a long time ago.

Takayuki (Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien) - His indecisiveness and wishy-washy approach to life is an absolute killer.

Rin (Shuffle!) - His dealings with Sia and Kaede puts him in the lower half of harem males... the blade incident sends him near the bottom.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 03:37   Link #8
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Zenigame View Post
...I wouldn't call that "charm" at all. That's just being a bastard.
I'm gonna have to agree with this statement. Playboys won't get me any more interested in the harem genre.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 03:59   Link #9
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

The following blog post reflects most of my feelings on the matter.

Click Here

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-12, 04:11   Link #10
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It depends.

One of the earliest harem "wusses" tapped 7 women, and married them all. Sadly, he's a wuss in the fact that in the end, he couldn't make a choice, and chose to run away from making one. Well, he still has 7 women, so I suppose he can die happy, even without friendship.

My favourite harem male is probably Yang Guo. He has many women liking him, he's not unaware of it, but his sheer devotion to the one he truly loves makes it painful for him. To extents of pains, deaths, long waits, and lost arm. Painful, indeed.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 05:38   Link #11
Honey_and_Cleaver

I havent seen all the harem animes. But all ive seen so far are nothing but useless male leads. Even if you find a dark,cool looking biseinen kind of character like Yukito,(spolier)-->>> hes already a walking dead zombie spirit throughout the whole anime.

Yeah its hard to get a right male lead for a harem. I want less nerdy voice and more manlier voice. Not to the extreme, just somewhere in the mid. I hate male leads often say " moooo", "yoo" and "mattakum".

I hate it when they potray the male lead's life as boring and unfortunate when its the other way around. They should zoom in into the females life and how the center male interact with their lives and change them which makes it interesting.

Theres one eroge they should emphasize, its called "Shinigami", the male lead looks interesting, they should get the right voice for the job.

Quote:
Makoto (El Hazard) - Must give the guy a bit of credit for choosing a girl and sticking with her. Never was really interested in anyone else.

Hiroyuki (To Heart) - A prototype dating sim male. Helpful to girls, but not really interested in a relationship.

Jyunichi (D.C. ~ Da Capo) - Comes through when it counts; genuinely loves both Sakura and Nemu, but knows that he must choose. And he does.

Kenji (Lamune) - Only has eyes for Nanami. Not exactly a spoiler...

Haruhiko (Gift ~ Eternal Rainbow) - He has a lot of conviction, and always does what he feels is right.

Yuuichi (Kanon) - Well, he isn't a "wuss", but a bit on the domineering side.

Takayuki (Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien) - His indecisiveness and wishy-washy approach to life is an absolute killer.

Rin (Shuffle!) - His dealings with Sia and Kaede puts him in the lower half of harem males... the blade incident sends him near the bottom.
Nope, theyre all bums.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 07:44   Link #12
Bill

Yes, but no. In a lot of these things, age must be taken to account. Anyone who's in high school, no, I don't fault them for not taking on multiple women - the average high schooler is not a player by any means. The 'wuss' is the normal guy.

As for any of the more mature aged harem males, yes, they are wusses, and yes, they totally drop the ball repeatedly, unable to handle the advances of a single woman - forget the overtures of multiple ones. To these men, I say: "Shame shame shame..."
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 08:27   Link #13
Honey_and_Cleaver

Quote:
Yes, but no. In a lot of these things, age must be taken to account. Anyone who's in high school, no, I don't fault them for not taking on multiple women
Thats generalization. Such thing doesnt happen to anyone. Such of this harems happen in real life?

Quote:
- the average high schooler is not a player by any means. The 'wuss' is the normal guy.
Wuss or unfortunate.

Quote:
As for any of the more mature aged harem males, yes, they are wusses, and yes, they totally drop the ball repeatedly, unable to handle the advances of a single woman - forget the overtures of multiple ones. To these men, I say: "Shame shame shame..."
A irresponsible womenizer virgin killer you mean? I mean more mature mean are more responsible. I think youre getting the wrong idea. How rare is a virgin. Dirtbags get the best?

In real life,virgins are food for grabs.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 08:57   Link #14
jianfish
Looking for something

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post

But Naru is Hawt.
jianfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 10:22   Link #15
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

All i got to say is... look towards the School Days anime ... and then we will see whether you like the male lead or not
Old 2007-04-12, 11:05   Link #16
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
I am not seeking a perv for a main lead, just some guy who has charm and the moxy needed to screw one of the chick in the series (nothing graphic, just the proof afterwards is good enough). Yet maintain a level-head consistency as he goes to his other girls as if nothing too extreme happened. Why cant we have more guys like that? Playboys seem to be in short quantity in Harem Anime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
All i got to say is... look towards the School Days anime ... and then we will see whether you like the male lead or not
What Skyfall said, wait for School Days in July. If they do the series right you will get your wish

*prepares some boiling oil for school days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_and_Cleaver View Post

Nope, theyre all bums.
I agree most of those guys are bums except Makoto? What do you have against him A Straight A studen, good athletes, good at art class. He found the girl he likes and struck with her even if she isn't human.
Old 2007-04-12, 11:15   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I believe Skane's bloggy link nails the personality problem on the head... there ARE a number of male leads that are likeable and have some spunk .. they just make the cardboard cutouts look that much worse (like the To Heart character he mentions).

Part of the reason I stopped liking ero-games is that about 90% of the time, I hated ANY of the choices I was given. They were all either rude, obnoxious, or most often facelessly wimpy. If that is how japanese guys treat women in real life then no wonder the birth rate is plummeting and the divorce rate is skyrocketing there.

Developing a relationship with a girl is mature.... "tapping a chick" is not ...
Old 2007-04-12, 11:57   Link #18
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

All I say is wait for Clannad.

@Vexx

Most bishoujo game, like most entertainment, are crap. I don't play that much but you can already feel that a lot of them are trying to imitate the "winning formula", and most of the time they fail. The "wise guy" archtype had been quite popular for a while, and are way more prevelant in the game side than the wuss, which seems to be more of a manga/anime archtype, but not many can get the "wise guy" right without rubbing people the wrong way.

Last edited by houkoholic; 2007-04-12 at 12:08.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 12:20   Link #19
askia47

Does this mean that most of you want more mature male leads, instead of wimpy ones? I think the idea is to create a pathetic looking character to get a girl that he has impossible odds to get with. In some ways having a strong male character is too, idk, typical in real life. I read Harem manga because of the wimps, lol.
askia47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 13:51   Link #20
DanielSong39

Maybe you're just looking in the wrong genre; males in shoujo anime don't seem to have that problem... they're generally strong characters that are deserving of the attention they receive from other girls.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote