AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-05, 16:46   Link #261
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
*laughs* Impatient, much?

Any show can hang on character development. This one clearly needs that to happen, or Cecily will quickly grind many would-be fans out.
I wouldnt call it being impatient. Anyone with half a sense can come up with a character its how the character is presented which decides if they are successful or not. If the writers do a poor job in Cecily character development then of course eye candy alone wont satisfy most viewers. Discussing such facts is only naturally and encouraged. Honestly my biggest fear is how fast will they develop her obvious immaturity and her swordsmanship. Too slow and it will drag the hell on, but too fast and it wont seem realistic.

btw did anyone else get a "Princess Bride" vibe when Cecily kept introducing herself? Everytime she did i couldnt help to think "my name is inigo montoya you killed my father prepare to die"
Old 2009-10-05, 16:49   Link #262
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
btw did anyone else get a "Princess Bride" vibe when Cecily kept introducing herself? Everytime she did i couldnt help to think "my name is inigo montoya you killed my father prepare to die"
I didn't think of it at the time. But now that you mention it...

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 17:08   Link #263
qwerty_
Knowledge Researcher

Great animation [and production values, BTW] and a funny mood catched me. Yes, it's THE generic fantasy drama anime with tidbits of moe, but who cares?

Also, Luke - what a tsundere!

Expect better reviews next time, XD.
qwerty_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 17:25   Link #264
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Just saw it.

I'm the only one who chuckled when Luke told Cecily to buy him some time only for the monster to do nothing while Cecily looked on in wonder? It must have been a RPG monster and it wasn't its turn.

Other than that, solid first episode, nice animation. I expect Cecily to get better and I'm looking forward to the proper introduction of Aria.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 17:26   Link #265
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post

Princess Bride had a good background on why he kept saying his name. This anime didn't have any. Probably by the end, if she still say it, it will be like Princess bride.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 18:05   Link #266
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
I'm the only one who chuckled when Luke told Cecily to buy him some time only for the monster to do nothing while Cecily looked on in wonder? It must have been a RPG monster and it wasn't its turn.
I was sort of chuckling. Actually, I hoped Luke would criticize her for not keeping the monster being while he spellcast. But since the episode ended before he delivered any post-spell lines, maybe he'll get the chance to be scathing at the beginning of the next episode.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 18:15   Link #267
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Well, her getting better seems to be part of the story, and she is part of the cast. Honestly, I thought this should've been obvious or at least expected by now.

Personally, the only thing worth criticizing about Cecily at this point is her armour. Seriously, for something like that to be made of metal is a waste. It might not be as heavy, but it's obvious the anime is blatantly going for something maid-like in appearance.

Cecily announcing her name and heritage is reminiscent of samurai of yore, when at the battlefield they would announce their descent and the accomplishments of their clan. When she pulls out her broken sword it's a symbolic gesture more than anything, showing her dedication to what she believes in, for herself and in front of Luke who refused to forge her a new sword. The problem here is that the 'name-announcing' could get pretty old after a while, and the anime doesn't really need to remind its audience of this fact every now and then.

I think at this point it's utterly silly to criticize Cecily for being such a noob at her profession, because well, that's the point. Characters who start from zero are everywhere, and they exist in order to portray a story of growth. If her character doesn't grow and develop from this, then that's worth criticizing.
Mmm can't speak for others, but I was more commenting on her personality in general not really anything relating to her being a "noob" as it were.

But thats just entirely personal bias talking...I wouldn't say she's a "bad" character just not the type I can derive much enjoyment from watching in general. For now I'm hedging my bets that the loli with the nifty eyes and the girl dressed in green can balance the show out for me in the end.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 18:51   Link #268
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Just saw it.

Other than that, solid first episode, nice animation. I expect Cecily to get better and I'm looking forward to the proper introduction of Aria.
Good thing it wasn't the monsters turn. Or else she would have been hit in the side of the head while not paying attention to it. I guess the monster was pretty curious as well so everyone just stopped to watch .

It will be nice when Cecily gets more skilled. A good person just needs to pick up the ability. At least she will get plenty of combat experience in order to push her development .
Old 2009-10-05, 20:24   Link #269
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Sorry for the noob question, but what the hell is "bishiness"? I'm assuming it has something to do with bishoujo? And i have nooo idea what that means lol. i could google it...but it'd be better if someone here explained it .

Anyway, the monsters in here are s00 ugly. And I'm not sure if anyone else picked up on this, but when Luke said that the name of the store was NOT Lisa, but rather Liza, Lisa did this little "sad face" thing...perhaps suggesting Liza is her older sister/mother? Perhaps the forging "partner" of Luke's father? Maybe?
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 20:36   Link #270
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
could google it...but it'd be better if someone here explained it .
Why work when you can make others work for you. The argument goes something like "Luke is a bishounen", or bishie in Western slang, a pretty boy to draw in female viewers and provide fan-service for the female audience. This is common in girl's manga/anime. Bishoujo is the female equivalent. Blacksmith seems to aim for both, though there are of course more pretty girls since it looks like some kind of harem show.

Quote:
Anyway, the monsters in here are s00 ugly.
Just another byproduct of the mediocricity and generic-ness of this show. IMHO it's like they are not even trying with the monster designs. I cried/facepalmed when I saw that monster. But then they totally topped that with the ultra-lame forging sequence.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 21:00   Link #271
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Why work when you can make others work for you. The argument goes something like "Luke is a bishounen", or bishie in Western slang, a pretty boy to draw in female viewers and provide fan-service for the female audience. This is common in girl's manga/anime. Bishoujo is the female equivalent. Blacksmith seems to aim for both, though there are of course more pretty girls since it looks like some kind of harem show.

Just another byproduct of the mediocricity and generic-ness of this show. IMHO it's like they are not even trying with the monster designs. I cried/facepalmed when I saw that monster. But then they totally topped that with the ultra-lame forging sequence.
yeah tell me about it, the only reason i played that sequence over and over was just because the BGM sounded so familiar and i wanted to remember what it was from...hoping that if i listened to it enough times i would finally remember...so far no luck lawl.

And thanks for the explanation. And you're exactly right, why work when i have plenty of online friends(slaves)..just kidding.
Old 2009-10-05, 21:01   Link #272
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Anyway, the monsters in here are s00 ugly.
You want pretty monsters?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 21:09   Link #273
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Quote:
Just saw it.

If by chuckled you mean facepalm'd then no you weren't the only one. Despite that fact however it didn't take away from the very end of the episode being the highlight for me.
Karlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 21:09   Link #274
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Compared to that crazed oldman berserker fellow, the monsters are as pretty as carebears.
Old 2009-10-05, 21:09   Link #275
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
You want pretty monsters?
hahaa there's just such a stark contrast between character design (cute, moe) and the monsters (lack of originality, *cough* ugly as hell, and just...plain boring). Since it is the first episode, I'll just have to wait and see ;P.

And Yes, i was hoping for monsters wearing tutus and pink ribbons
Old 2009-10-05, 21:26   Link #276
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlotte View Post
Mmm can't speak for others, but I was more commenting on her personality in general not really anything relating to her being a "noob" as it were.

But thats just entirely personal bias talking...I wouldn't say she's a "bad" character just not the type I can derive much enjoyment from watching in general. For now I'm hedging my bets that the loli with the nifty eyes and the girl dressed in green can balance the show out for me in the end.
I agree with this completely. Her attitude does nothing for me. Actually her character type is one of my greatest annoyances in anime. If 90% of the character focus ends up being on her, I may not make it through the 12 episodes.
Old 2009-10-05, 21:30   Link #277
Clarste
Human

I'm optimistically thinking of her personality as having lots of room to grow. I'm not really expecting too much though, given the length of the series.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 21:49   Link #278
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

So it's set in stone that this series is 12 episodes? Oh boy...she has got some work to doo
Old 2009-10-05, 22:04   Link #279
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlson
If by chuckled you mean facepalm'd then no you weren't the only one. Despite that fact however it didn't take away from the very end of the episode being the highlight for me.
I lol'd too at that part and thought it's a turn based RPG event with poor direction.

But after a while I realized it has something to do with what Cecily was wearing. It'stoo distracting even for the eye of an ice-demon, which I assume is male judging from how it derived (from the eye patched guy). If you thought of it that way the buying time part is not that surprising.

TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 22:07   Link #280
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Luke reminds me of Akizuki...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy, shounen