AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2007-04-06, 11:46   Link #161
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah I just assumed the parents were getting involved with the stock market or something. What a couple of idiots, but I guess it's a conveneient way to remove them. The guy certainly has bad luck, and the angel vs devil was fun to watch. Especially the devil thinking Hayate and the Angel were going a bit far.

Enjoyed the first episode plenty of funny parts. Got to love a kidnapping on one end being seen as a proposal on the other end. Should be a fun series to keep an eye on.
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 11:47   Link #162
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I don't know about you, but "investing in dreams" sounds much funnier than "gambling" in the context it's placed .
It does sound pretty funny as a euphemism, but since there's no explanation of it, it doesn't make much sense and just confuses people. Especially confusing is Hayate's conversation with his boss. Why in the world would his boss understand what he was talking about? I wouldn't mind them calling it "investing in dreams" everywhere else if they called it gambling in that scene. His mother calling it "investing in dreams" was a joke in the manga anyway.

I guess the important thing is that if they're willing to censor such a tiny thing as gambling (in a story where parents sold their son to the yakuza...), it makes one wary of future censorship.

Edit: See, confused people can mistake the euphemism for a less idiodic activity, further mucking up the boss scene. The basic idea is that his parents were wasting all his money at the racetrack, which is absurd enough that his boss didn't believe it. Mistaking that for investing in the stock market makes them simply unlucky or unskilled, rather than completely disrespectful of his money.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 13:16   Link #163
iwubanime
FMP wubber

oh so that's what "investing in dreams" meant, hahaha

that makes it a lot funnier

how much censorship will this series have??
iwubanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 13:53   Link #164
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Good anime, I really enjoyed episode 1 from the beginning to the end. A lot of nonsense humour, hilarious quotes (Nagi and the robot, Nagi and the kidnappers, Hayate with his angel and devil), certainly designed to be an excellent light comedy fix for this season.
For many reasons, it reminded me of Karin. First: the dark-ish setting (at least for this episode), second: the mansion, third: Hayate's character design strongly reminded me of a young version of Karin's oniichan, Ren.

As always, Kugimiya Rie cracks me up with her lines and her unmistakable way of delivering them. Speaking of which, I look forward to the day, if it will ever come, in which she will be the servant with her own master.
It's also curious to have both "Ries" in the same show (Kugimiya and Tanaka), if my memory doesn't serve me wrong, it's the first time I heard them together in a anime. Good job also by Shiraishi Ryoko as Hayate, it's that kind of male character, clumsy, unlucky kind and easy to sympathize with, which is well suited to be voiced by a woman.

Definitely looking forward for the prosecution, as this show is very very promising.

Some random animated avatars frome episode 1...

... the angel...

and the devil!

Old 2007-04-06, 14:01   Link #165
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Some random animated avatars frome episode 1...

Mind if I use the second one (Hayate throwing petals)?
Old 2007-04-06, 14:06   Link #166
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Mind if I use the second one (Hayate throwing petals)?
Ah sure, go ahead

---

I also wanted to add a comment about the "investing in dreams", leaving the censorship alone, I think that in a normal word, with a normal family and normal persons, "gambling" would have been the best choice. But when you have two eggheads like Hayate's parents, I think you can't expect nothing less than that (jokes aside, it was all so ludicrous that at the end, it even made sense ^^)

As for the narrator, I liked him, and never found his presence as intrusive
Old 2007-04-06, 14:13   Link #167
Clarste
Human

"Investing in dreams" is certainly a funny way to say "gambling." But they never explain that in the episode, leading to some confusion and making the joke not as funny. ie: His parents calling it that is funny. Hayate calling it that is just weird.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 14:15   Link #168
FireChick

Ummm...if you don't mind me asking, does anyone have a single picture of Nagi kind of like from TV Tokyo's website on the characters page? Cuz' I'm thinking about drawing her for the Anime Convention that I'm going to in July. I hope you don't mind.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 16:33   Link #169
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

This was definitely a nice and funny episode I would go as far as to say i was quite impressed by it Maybe my expectations were not the highest, but i liked this one quite a lot more i though i would. The narration was funny, and the voice just cracked me up.

Hayate's red eyes and eerie voice when he jumped on the car was classic, but it sure got me laughing And lol @ the angel vs devil discussion

Nagi seems to be an interesting character While she is, obviously, spoiled beyond belief, she struck me as a some one with a good character. At least she is sincere, even if blunt

Voice acting was spot on, couldn't ask for better.

Though the "investing in dream" was an "eh?" moment for me. If i wouldn't know they meant gambling from reading bits from this thread, i wouldn't have figures that one out...at least not easily, anyway... though it does sound as something that such lunatic parents as his would say, but that still doesn't make it any easier to understand.

... So - Nagi obviously likes Hayate, while i don't think he has any feelings for her. (Though they will be there with time, obviously ) ... though he did seem attracted to that brown haired girl (Nagi's maid ?). I sense a love triangle forming up (or heck - even a harem, considering how many girls there are in the OP/ED )

... How old are the characters anyway ? Nagi sure doesn't look older than 13-14 years old

Seems like a very nice show, definitely a keeper.
And the HD version is definitely a winner. Thanks to SS/Eclipse
Old 2007-04-06, 16:55   Link #170
Kensuke

This thread was quite popular, so I watched the episode, not knowing a thing about it, just checked the character designs.

Well, it certainly was a funny 20+ minutes, so I think I will watch more. I did not catch the invest in dreams part until I read it in this thread. Some lousy parents, but at least they are not dead, like so many other shows.

I wonder if they are going to remove the censorship in animation and voice acting in DVD release?

And last but not least, Rie Kugimiya voicing a loli-ish, tsundere character. I have seen that at least twice before this.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:18   Link #171
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Nagi seems to be an interesting character While she is, obviously, spoiled beyond belief, she struck me as a some one with a good character. At least she is sincere, even if blunt
Nagi is a brilliant creation. This is the only show I know which has a female tsundere, who is 100% certain to be in a requited love relationship with a male lead, who in turn is totally clueless about her feelings (and - at least at the time being - doesn't reciprocrate it. After all, to him, Nagi is just a child).

What makes me really really like her is that while she'll throw tantrums every once in a while, she's a _caring_ character by nature. Fairly smart, easily embarrassed, but most of all, she's genuinely caring for others. VERRRRRY unusual. And very fun ^_^

(She isn't the most enjoyable character in the show, however. That title goes to Hinagiku ^_^)
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:29   Link #172
piccu

This is a good adaptation of my favourite comedy manga, but they cut some funny parts as well (like Matt Soulblade metioned already)
The anime references are so funny though I surely haven't caught everything!

e.g:
Pink Pikachu in the shelf after the Gendo Ikari reference

In the preview for 2nd episode you can see a bust that looks like Conan Edogawa (Meitentei Conan) ; also Hayate&Nagi posing (with the red->blue background) in the preview reminds me of something... could it be that it's Sailor Moon or Pokémon?
piccu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:38   Link #173
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccu View Post
The anime references are so funny though I surely haven't caught everything!
Speaking of references, does anyone know who the two customers are in this shot?

They look suspiciously like real people, not anime characters.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:42   Link #174
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well that was quite cute and enjoyable I gotta admit heh. The humor was light but face paced and it kept a smile on my face for most of the show, so i'm really looking forward to episode 2 now.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 18:14   Link #175
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Had watched the raw before, but got to see it subbed today (thanks, Eclipse and Static-Subs). Mentar is right, Nagi is just an awesome character overall. This really lives up to the manga, which was a tall order to fill. And Onsokumaru's Wakamoto's narration was hilarious as expected.

If I can think of any complaint, it's that I noticed there isn't a lot of SD, which I think would make some of the comic moments even funnier. Maybe I've gotten too used to comedies like PPD or Magikano (or this season's Seto no Hanayome and Nagasarete Airantou) that use super-deformed reaction shots for characters in comic situations, but the reactions in Hayate (for when Hayate lands on the roof of the car for example) almost seem subdued by comparison. SD can be overdone, but I kind of think Hayate could use some more of it, just to give the funny parts more impact.

But that's a pretty minor complaint--I loved watching the first episode and can't wait to see more. Once again, it's a damn good season to be an anime fan
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 18:20   Link #176
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Aye... Nagi seems like a very interesting creation. (And seems it gets better, according to people here ).

One thing i am certain about - i think she will certainly not hesitate to show Hayate that she likes him... while he will, obviously, disregard it all the way. (and, no doubt, some heavy drama at the end will make him change his views ... unless we get a crappy open end).

I wonder what the plot of this is going to be like... Hayate saving Nagi each day from "villain of the week", while Nagi keeps on trying to get Hayate to acknowledge her, while he keeps chasing after some other girl ?

So...any one care to spill the age of the characters ? /beg
Old 2007-04-06, 18:26   Link #177
stevency
To kill or be killed?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru View Post
Had watched the raw before, but got to see it subbed today (thanks, Eclipse and Static-Subs). Mentar is right, Nagi is just an awesome character overall. This really lives up to the manga, which was a tall order to fill. And Onsokumaru's Wakamoto's narration was hilarious as expected.
The cast had even made fun of the "boardcasting code(no blood, no gamble s**t)" by braking the forth wall.

PS: Did Hayate made a berserk eye sight (looks like EVA-01 to me, or other show else) after he got run over by the car?
stevency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 18:32   Link #178
Kisuke06
I see...

Damn, this first episode was very good! The comedy is very good plus the good animation = Win!
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 18:43   Link #179
indicatoto101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Speaking of references, does anyone know who the two customers are in this shot?

They look suspiciously like real people, not anime characters.
Jay and Silent Bob?
indicatoto101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 18:47   Link #180
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
So...any one care to spill the age of the characters ? /beg
Nagi is 13
Hayate is 16
Maria is 17
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote