AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-02-10, 15:58   Link #1
LuckyLyndy

Subtitles-encoding format problem?

I am having trouble reading the subtitles on some series. I assume it is a problem of
the resolution settings?
I am dropping the files onto my thumbdrive, and then plugging it into my Philips DV
5960 player to a SD CRT TV set. Works great on most files, but not all. The subs can be below the viewing area. I have been using AlltoAVI, and first tried to convert some mkv and other files and encountered this. Now I have some avi files that I cannot view as well. Such as Seta No Hanayome.
Any ideas or links to older thread discussions would be greatly appreciated.

Off topic
I am building a new computer, and was wondering if the Intel chip E2180 would be fine for my stuff. I am not a big gamer, but would like to do things on the 'net while I
am downloading and encoding anime. Just bought the Abit P35 board yesterday.
Thanks,
Lyndon
LuckyLyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 16:24   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Only know solution: get a player that allows you to zoom a little or re-encode the video to include a small border so that only that will be cut off and the full video will be visible.

As for the other matter, a E2180 would probably suffice for any anime viewing, I think. I can't really compare as the only hardware I have is a bit more powerful than that.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 16:50   Link #3
LuckyLyndy

Thanks for the reply, GHDPro
But I am not "getting it"? This is USA type CRT television.
On the Philips dvd player, I can set the screen for 4:3 Pan Scan, 4:3 Letter Box, and 16:9
None of these help the sub title problem.
The TV is a standard CRT Philips with component connections. All the files work just fine on my laptop/desktop with GOM player and Media Player Classic.

I have not tried the zoom options but will.

On other downloads, I get the sound but get the message "Video Resolution not supported". Does that mean I have to re-encode the file to 704X400? Jeez, I hate to waste my time "dumbing down" a file to a poorer resolution. Is there another software program other than AlltoAVI for this purpose?

On the E2180, I know, I know...all my friends are shaking their heads, and saying,
"Dude, you can do better..." But I am tired of waiting on the fence for prices to drop when Penryn is debuted this month.

Just was browsing and read this:
GOM Player (Bad/Evil)

GOM can open the four main video formats (avi, ogm, mp4, mkv) as well as windows media and real formats. Installs its own codecs by default - this is easily disabled, bar the splitters. If the inbuilt codecs are disabled, direct show works like a charm. Unfortunately, the included splitters are on the bad side of terrible. ASSA subtitles display unstyled. Lack of Haali loading is the downfall of this player – will only work (without some serious tweaking) with hardsubbed files. Not compatible with CoreAVC in a default install with inbuilt codecs disabled
If this is true, should I remove GOM, and install a better reader/player?
Old 2008-02-10, 17:00   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Overscan = Your TV (or DVD player) is purposely cutting of a little bit of the picture. If the fansub group chose to put the subtitles at the very edges, the subtitles end up being cut off.

Here is a practical example of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei being played on the same LCD TV using a PC and a PS3:

PC (connected through VGA cable to the LCD TV, whereby it acts as a big PC monitor)

PS3 (connected through HDMI)

As you can see, even though the PS3 is connected with a (digital) HDMI cable, it (for some reason) elects to use "overscan" when playing video. It's the same thing that is happening in your situation (despite the hardware used not being quite the same).

Now on a CRT TV you probably don't have the option to use your TV as a PC monitor (for which overscan doesn't apply), so you'll probably have to re-encode the video and add some borders around the picture in order for the subtitles not to get cut-off.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 17:13   Link #5
LuckyLyndy

Understood.
Now I am wondering where in the AlltoAvi menu the option of adding "borders" is.
Can't seem to show you a screen shot of the menu of it.
By the way, your example is a fun show!
The one I mentioned is pretty hum drum, though I was attracted by a yakuza mermen plot .

Post:Looks like scaling down further is going to work. Am able to see most of subs with a format of 704X480

Last edited by LuckyLyndy; 2008-02-10 at 17:57.
Old 2008-02-13, 16:37   Link #6
leetdood

Don't use GOM Player, just install and use CCCP.

http://www.cccp-project.net/
leetdood is offline   Reply With Quote