AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-07-06, 05:50   Link #61
Oxtail

I didn't think the movie was anti-technology. The main message was that we shouldn't lose ourselves in our technology. Technology can and should be used as a tool to achieve our ends, but it's no substitute for human will and effort. I think the ending credits made it clear the movie was not trying to be Luddite.
Oxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 18:15   Link #62
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
I was driving around downtown Dallas for the holiday and I found this, its not shopped lol
Spoiler for picture:
Disney/Pixar sure does a lot of money ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 19:00   Link #63
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
The main message was that we shouldn't lose ourselves in our technology. Technology can and should be used as a tool to achieve our ends, but it's no substitute for human will and effort.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what being anti-technology is?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 19:15   Link #64
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what being anti-technology is?
No, anti-technology philosophies, like Oxtail's example of the Luddites (great example, btw), seek to destroy technology. Wall-E's sub-plot emphasized that humanity should not lose itself within its technology, not that technology was bad. It would be a little silly if the sub-plot's theme of the film dealt with the evils of technology, while the main plot focused on the love story of two robots...there is a bit of a discrepancy there .

Last edited by james0246; 2008-07-06 at 19:28.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 08:59   Link #65
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

There were three summer CG animated movies this year, Kung Fu Panda didn't interest me much, while the other two were space-themed. Space Chimps had a very silly name, and upon viewing its trailer, I concluded it was extremely retarded, so that leaves me with Wall-E.

I was fortunate in my choice, for Pixar has once again lived up to its good name in the realm of 3D animation, for they always focus on a plot that gets the audience thinking, and its comedy is universal and never insults the audience with excessive caricature adult humour.

I thought I saw the best of Pixar in Finding Nemo and the Incredibles, but they have proven me wrong. I don't think I've ever felt robots this cute before. I would even do as Vexx above has suggested and use the word "moe" to describe Wall-E and Eve, a term normally reserved for humanoid females.

Spoiler for Concerning the "independent from technology" aspect:
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 13:08   Link #66
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
My guess is that the children simply did not get into Wall-E as much as they could, and the socio-political message of the last 1/3 of the film was considered a little too preachy by some parents.
Well, Wall-E finally arrived in Singapore, and being the fan of Pixar that I am, I went to watch it as soon as I could. I'm afraid I'm underwhelmed.

Not sure if it's because of the hype or if it's just me, but like james0246 noted above, I felt the socio-political message was a bit too ham-fisted and obvious, to the point of being didactic. And rather than going for emotional heft, the producers went, one again, for the obvious feel-good ending where...

Spoiler:

It's not that I'm against feel-good endings. I loved Finding Nemo and Toy Story 2, and Monsters, Inc is by far my favourite Pixar movie. Rather, it's more that I find Wall-E too contrived, too predictable. It's yet another Hollywood summer movie where love will solve everything, and (fat) humans will overcome their sloth to undertake the hard work of regenerating Earth once more.

That's my biggest problem with Wall-E. It makes the struggle seem too easy, and in the process, it demeans the effort that real environmentalists have to put in everyday just to make the world a little bit greener.

Technically, the movie is as good as, if not better than, its predecessors. Both Wall-E and Eve are indeed quite cute. But I find the "romance" a bit too obvious and predictable. Surprisingly, my favourite character is Moe, the fastidious cleaner bot that chased Wall-E's grimy trail all over the Axiom.

But story-wise, I'm afraid that Disney's acquisition of Pixar is slowly but surely squeezing creative talent out of the studio. From nuanced storylines filled with sly references aimed at adults while packing tons of delight for younger audiences, we're increasingly seeing more 3D cartoons packaged into neat, wholesome, morality plays for the widest possible demographic (read: lowest common denominator).

Kids will love Wall-E no doubt. But for adults, well, unless they're accompanying their children, I don't expect many to go out of their way just to watch this movie. It gets only a 6 out of 10 from me — an average film. It won't be the best way to use your time, but it won't be a total waste either.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 05:20   Link #67
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Well, Wall-E finally arrived in Singapore, and being the fan of Pixar that I am, I went to watch it as soon as I could. I'm afraid I'm underwhelmed.

Not sure if it's because of the hype or if it's just me, but like james0246 noted above, I felt the socio-political message was a bit too ham-fisted and obvious, to the point of being didactic. And rather than going for emotional heft, the producers went, one again, for the obvious feel-good ending where...

Spoiler:
You're reading too much into the meaning of the background. Andrew Stanton merely created an environment for the storytelling that is Wall-E. If you want to read it as preachy environmentalism, that's your call, but I don't see anything wrong with your typical dystopian sci-fi future setting.

Quote:
But story-wise, I'm afraid that Disney's acquisition of Pixar is slowly but surely squeezing creative talent out of the studio. From nuanced storylines filled with sly references aimed at adults while packing tons of delight for younger audiences, we're increasingly seeing more 3D cartoons packaged into neat, wholesome, morality plays for the widest possible demographic (read: lowest common denominator).
I cannot believe you're saying Wall-E's story is cheesy. Compared to the other crap produced by the other studios, Wall-E's grown-up references are subtle and witty and are definitely not in-your-face like Shark Tales and Space Chimps.

Quote:
Kids will love Wall-E no doubt. But for adults, well, unless they're accompanying their children, I don't expect many to go out of their way just to watch this movie. It gets only a 6 out of 10 from me — an average film. It won't be the best way to use your time, but it won't be a total waste either.
And here is an adult to prove you otherwise. I personally enjoyed it a lot, so did my friends and co-workers, and we all watched it without kids. Perhaps it's just your preferences.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 05:34   Link #68
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Australia had its premiere today, a charity screening 18 days ahead of the official release date here down under.

Who would have thought that the story of a trash-compactor falling in love with a science probe would be so sweet, cute and funny.

Even if you don't have kids yourself, go anyway to let the kid inside you out to play: You'll be a happier person for it.
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 10:35   Link #69
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

I saw the movie yesterday, and wow, it was inspirational (ok, thats probably not the best word). But seriously, i really appreciated how they were able to bring out the feelings of the two without any dialogue. I know about the preachy thing about the environment , i felt a little myself. I thought it was a little... cheesy... like how everything falls together so nicely, but overall i think it dosen't take away much from the entire story. Oh, and the one thing that constantly made me laugh was the foreign contaminant joke XD Poor thing.
Scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-31, 11:23   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have to say it was one of the more charming movies of the summer....
Old 2008-09-01, 01:31   Link #71
FateAnomaly

I think it is really good. Watched it with a bunch of friends and everyone loved it. It is supposed to be a romantic comedy adventure and not meant to be philosophical or scientific even though it had some elements of it.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote