AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-08-01, 20:10   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Windows Tablets/Tablet PCs

I didn't see a thread on this when I searched, so I'd like to have a thread discussing these soon to be released tablets and tablet PCs.

I know that these will release in Q4 of this year. Do people expect them to be good? Should they give Android tablets a good run for their money?

Can anyone fill us in on Windows RT? Is it shaping up good? Are people saying it is disappointing like Windows 8? Should we expect Windows RT to get good app support like iOS and iPads?

I want to learn more about the Microsoft Surface product line. One thing that makes me want one over an iPad is the micro SD slots they will have.
Old 2012-08-01, 21:19   Link #2
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i am interested in getting one as long as the price is in the acceptable range of $400 to $500. I have heard it could go $1000 which imo would kill it as alternative to the ipad.
Old 2012-08-01, 21:27   Link #3
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i am interested in getting one as long as the price is in the acceptable range of $400 to $500. I have heard it could go $1000 which imo would kill it as alternative to the ipad.
It'll have models in the $500 range, maybe even $400 range. The $1000 models are models which will run Windows 8 Professional (same as the one for desktops). It'll be a tablet PC instead of a tablet, and will be able to have a sleek keyboard be hooked up to it to make it a makeshift laptop.
Old 2012-08-08, 19:13   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What is the buzz with the Windows tablets? Are they shaping up to be good? Is Windows 8 bad, or not as bad as people are making it out to be? Also, is Windows RT shaping up to be good? Does anyone have a link to info on Windows RT?
Old 2012-08-08, 19:46   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I know that these will release in Q4 of this year. Do people expect them to be good? Should they give Android tablets a good run for their money?
I've been following rumors on the Surface. It was looking really good, but more recent news seems to indicate that it might miss the mark.

Bearing in mind that these are still rumors, there was a Surface listed on a Swedish page, with the lowest-end Surface (32 GB memory, RT) listed at the equivalent of $530, and $630 for the 64 GB version. The "Surface Pro" would be $800-1000, I believe. Again, those are rumors, and more recent news indicates that the Swedish site supposedly listed the prices as guesses, with no information from Microsoft (supposedly...). If true, they're practically pricing it to be a laptop competitor, instead of a supplemental device.

The other potentially disappointing bit is some speculation about the operating system. People were anticipating a 100% touch-based operating system, but rumor has it that Microsoft has been telling its hardware partners to observe their keyboard cover and have designs of their own. In other words, the OS might require some sort of hardware for the human interface, instead of giving a choice between pure touch and what ever add-on. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but again it differs from most current tablets.

Rumors are just rumors, though. It's way too early to write anything off yet.

Quote:
I want to learn more about the Microsoft Surface product line. One thing that makes me want one over an iPad is the micro SD slots they will have.
While this will vary with each individual's usage, I don't see the big deal about on-board storage. Most tablets are designed around web services, with the idea being that you stream or temporarily download what you need. If you want to use it as a full-out computer replacement (which may be what Microsoft is trying to do with the Surface) then the space probably matters more, but otherwise it's not a particularly big feature.
Old 2012-08-08, 20:01   Link #6
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

easy for me to say but Microsoft need to take a loss on the lower end surface and have it price in the $400 range. if the Surface is price the same as a ipad, people are just going to buy a ipad.
Old 2012-08-08, 22:17   Link #7
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'm starting to think that micro SD support doesn't matter that much anymore. Still, I'd love for iPads to have them.
Old 2012-08-31, 20:28   Link #8
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
I'm starting to think that micro SD support doesn't matter that much anymore. Still, I'd love for iPads to have them.
That's most useful if one is offline or wishes for a significant increase in storage. I hardly ever use my iPad far from WiFi, so the use of cloud storage, like Dropbox, grants me a reasonable improvement to my storage capabilities. That said, I can't store too many videos on Dropbox.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 22:56   Link #9
Random32
Also a Lolicon

For storage, SkyDrive is well integrated into Win 8 and is actually quite reasonably priced. Draconian ToS though, accounts have been shut down and data wiped for having stuff that MS doesn't want on your SkyDrive, so I wouldn't rely on it, though pretty good if you want to get at your data from the cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
easy for me to say but Microsoft need to take a loss on the lower end surface and have it price in the $400 range. if the Surface is price the same as a ipad, people are just going to buy a ipad.
Actually selling the Surface isn't MS's goal. It's a good side goal, but the point of the Surface to be a standard that MS wants OEMs to aim to match an exceed.

btw, there are a lot of cool tablets being shown off at IFA.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 23:04   Link #10
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
That's what disappoints me... without the external for micro SDs.. it'll never be perfect...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 02:26   Link #11
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

i might try Windows RT too if the rumors are true that it will price at only $199 - http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/14/m...t-surface-199/
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 03:21   Link #12
monster

It is unlikely for the Surface RT to be priced at $199. Surface RT will not be competing with the Kindle Fire and others of its kind, yet.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 08:38   Link #13
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Surface RT will not be competing with the Kindle Fire and others of its kind, yet.
the news article i previously link says the opposite though... but we will see soon what is the correct pricing
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 09:38   Link #14
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0x View Post
the news article i previously link says the opposite though...
The article makes that comparison based on the supposed price alone. But, we shall see indeed.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-04, 13:16   Link #15
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i don't think it will be $199. i will buy one immediately if that it is $199 but most likely somewhere between 300 to 400. High enough to not lose money or drive away its hardware partners but low enough to compete with Apple.