AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-28, 12:49   Link #1
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Talking Yes! Pretty Cure 5

As you've already guess this is the fourth entry to the Pretty Cure franchise, which has been both a smash-hit and blockbuster to its target audience in Japan.

Date: February 2nd, 2007. Sundays, 08:30 a.m. (Tokyo time)
Studio: TOEI

Staff
Ai Maeda as Karen Minatsuki / Cure Aqua
Ai Nagano as Komachi Akimoto / Cure Mint
Junko Takeuchi as Rin Natsuki / Cure Rouge
Mariya Ise as Urara Kasugano / Cure Lemonade
Yuko Sanpei as Nozomi Yumehara / Cure Dream
Miyu Irino as Nuts
Takeshi Kusao as Coco

It was matter of time before they add in the 5 girl team to the Pretty Cure franchise, but I find it odd some resemblances on this Pretty Cure team with the Tokyo Mew Mew team.

Has TOEI worn out any original or creative ideas to contribute to the franchise? or is it that aging has totally caught with Pretty Cure and is a matter of time before the whole frachise goes to extinction?

Screenshots

Last edited by Guido; 2007-02-09 at 04:03.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 18:45   Link #2
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

The name of the new season leaves me with one thought:

What is the question?

We have the answer: "Yes! Pretty Cure 5!".... Maybe the question was "Are you f*ckin' kidding me?!"

P.S., although it seems like there is a strange jump in the number of Characters from 2 to 5 this season, there really isn't. In fact, it follows a similar pattern of adding 1 character every season like Ojamajo Doremi.

Spoiler for Splash Star Final Episodes:
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 18:55   Link #3
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
The name of the new season leaves me with one thought:

What is the question?

We have the answer: "Yes! Pretty Cure 5!".... Maybe the question was "Are you f*ckin' kidding me?!"

P.S., although it seems like there is a strange jump in the number of Characters from 2 to 5 this season, there really isn't. In fact, it follows a similar pattern of adding 1 character every season like Ojamajo Doremi.

Spoiler for Splash Star Final Episodes:
Yep! Pretty Cure sure has come a long way to grow up into a full-fledged, magical girl anime in numbers, that's it.

It already has had since the first series the other elements that make this franchise into magical girl.

But I would had suggested Pretty Cure Flash Five as the title instead to keep on with the tradition of extra titles which rhyme on pronuncing cacophonic sounds, added since Pretty Cure Max Heart.

What's next after Yes! Pretty Cure 5? The whole franchise would go on into hiatus for the next three years and then return with Pretty Cure Savers.
Old 2007-01-29, 12:47   Link #4
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Y'know I don't know if I can get into this. I took on the original 'Pretty Cure' series, and am still currently doing 'SS'. As it continues to drag on to whateve ending they can come up with. But 'Pretty Cure 5'?

I remember hearing someone mentioning it and I didn't believe. But I knew something was coming. As one show comes to a end they always have a preview of what's to come after. Then I saw it listed on 'ANN', and I'm like,

"You're kidding right? This is the ****ing title?"

Funny thing is '4Kids' licensed the first series and haven't done anything with it. Hell, I was at one of the two events when 'Toei' was in NY. Then you hear about the license, and nothing happened for the new line up during the fall of 2005 or 2006. Now here's a new show. Chances are they'd grab that and try to revive what the 'Sailor Moon' crazy started.

I'll be surprised if that happens.

But I'll check it out and see where it goes. But I love the ass kicking and emotional impact the first show had. But hey, this is for kids not for hard-core fans. But hell, if 'SS' could find a way to appeal to fans of the other series, then so will the new show. And thus the doujin material will fly off the shelves.

Seems 'Toei' is trying to revive an old fame. What 'Sailor Moon' was of the early 90's, is what 'Pretty Cure' is to the new generation. Only thing is that the series has more incarnations than 'SM'. Meaning, the heroes are never the same. Of course I never expected they would increase the numbers.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 06:36   Link #5
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno View Post
Funny thing is '4Kids' licensed the first series and haven't done anything with it. Hell, I was at one of the two events when 'Toei' was in NY. Then you hear about the license, and nothing happened for the new line up during the fall of 2005 or 2006. Now here's a new show. Chances are they'd grab that and try to revive what the 'Sailor Moon' crazy started.
Actually, what's happened with the 4kids license isn't too odd... When they did Tokyo Mew Mew they originally said that it would air in the fall and then didn't air it until Februrary after one of their other shows went on hiatus.

I suspect that we might finally see what 4kids has wrought with Pretty Cure in a week or two.... scary. However, if it doesn't air in Feb, I think it's a good bet they passed on the license after all. Which would be a real shame, looking at the big picture: Pretty Cure has been dubbed into German, Spanish, Italian, Korean, and Mandarin (and probably something else I don't know about), and it would make english, the world's most "common" language be the only language pretty cure wouldn't be available in.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-01-30, 07:21   Link #6
eggplant
Eggplant

The official website has opened, including a short preview:
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/yes_pr...ecure5_512.asx

-------------------------------

Edit: Ah, the ABC site has also been updated.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

Last edited by eggplant; 2007-01-30 at 07:36.
eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 18:25   Link #7
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post
The official website has opened, including a short preview:
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/yes_pr...ecure5_512.asx

-------------------------------

Edit: Ah, the ABC site has also been updated.
Interesting. It reminds me of 'Tokyo Mew Mew' and 'Sailor Moon'. I can't help but laugh at the title. It's like during the middle of 'Splash Star' someone asked,

"Do ya think they'll do another 'Pretty Cure' after this one?"

Cue the title saying,

"Yes! Pretty Cure 5!!!"

"Stoopid!!"

Hahahaha!!!

I was looking for something along the lines of 'Cure Fujin' and 'Cure Raijin'. Now that would have been cool. Oh well, the kids don't care they just want to watch them bright colors, tales of girly love and protecting the world from the 'Negaverse'...urmm...I-I mean whoever the new villain is going to be. I guess having 5 members is going to make it a whole lot exciting. It's something we never done before in a 'Pretty Cure' show.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 19:28   Link #8
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Heh maybe they should make a special OVA starring the unlucky Pretty Cure girl that fought all by herself. It would make the pattern even more complete. In any case I'm not sure how I'll feel about this new series yet. I mean while Splash Star may have lacked some of the charm of Original/Max Heart I still liked it over all. So perhaps it will be the same way with Yes! 5.
Old 2007-02-01, 20:15   Link #9
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
Heh maybe they should make a special OVA starring the unlucky Pretty Cure girl that fought all by herself. It would make the pattern even more complete. In any case I'm not sure how I'll feel about this new series yet. I mean while Splash Star may have lacked some of the charm of Original/Max Heart I still liked it over all. So perhaps it will be the same way with Yes! 5.
If you're uncertain about this near Pretty Cure show, then simply watch it as your typical, magic-girl anime like I will do.

I'll be checking this title following the traditional formula of the fighter magic-girl show, rather than watching it with high expectations that differ from the conventional theme of the genre.

Yes! Pretty Cure 5 is a full-fledged return to the traditional formula of the genre, though I would have chosen Pretty Cure Flash Five as the title instead.
Old 2007-02-01, 20:44   Link #10
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
If you're uncertain about this near Pretty Cure show, then simply watch it as your typical, magic-girl anime like I will do.
It's not so much a case of being uncertain, but rather a case of I'd prefer to watch at least a few episodes first before deciding how I feel about it. The only concern I may have is how the battles could go. I'm fine with a five member team, but only so long as all five contribute in some form. Even Luminous being a technical support magical girl was fine. In short I don't want it to become like some series where you're given a team concept, but they make it so only the lead is capable of fighting. Still it's probably silly to be concerned about that when the first episode has yet to air.
Old 2007-02-03, 00:43   Link #11
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

While Wikipedia is the least liked from all places to search for trustworthy information, nonetheless, they have uploaded the entry for the fourth Pretty Cure series.

Spoiler for For Story:

The plot shares few striking similarities to that of Card Captor Sakura.

Changes for this season.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-03, 01:35   Link #12
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Changes for this season.
Spoiler:
Spoiler for probably not but, hey:
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-02-04, 00:01   Link #13
Maximum Burst
Intelligent Device

Anyone know the source of this pic?

I can't seem to find the video on youtube.
Maximum Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 02:36   Link #14
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Burst View Post
Anyone know the source of this pic?

I can't seem to find the video on youtube.
It just aired less then 24 hours ago, give it time .

There's raws on certain p2p networks, it's only a matter of time.

Edit: Okay, watched episode 1, and there's no sign of that dancing in it. I suspect that picture is photoshopped, or perhaps some leaked production sketches? I really have no idea, it's not part of any Pretty Cure video that I've seen (and I THINK I've seen them all ).
Sam Pinansky

Last edited by Quarkboy; 2007-02-04 at 03:36.
Old 2007-02-04, 12:00   Link #15
mippa
Mahou Shoujo~!

Send a message via AIM to mippa Send a message via MSN to mippa Send a message via Yahoo to mippa
Okay, saw the opening and ending clips--Quarkboy, I totally think we should pick it up, I will so help you out with it. It looks great.

(The fact that the mascots turn into hot guys is a total selling point for me~and Maeda Ai is in it, and the character designs are really appealing to me!)

Last edited by mippa; 2007-02-04 at 12:28.
mippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 14:29   Link #16
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've seen episode one, and all I can say is how great Sanpei Yuuko (Renton in Eureka 7) is in her starring role as Nozomi. This is a classic magical girl show, with the heroine looking for a dream to pursue and then having extraordinary powers mysteriously thrust upon her, and Yuuko stands out in this cast of real pros.

Her voice covers the range of emotions and styles, and she has great control of it. She's not good because of the uniqueness of her voice, but because of her professional skill, it seems to me. All I knew about her before was her role as Renton (and recently as Souta in Akazukin) and her friendship with Koshimizu Ami. She's only 20, and is definitely a seiyuu to watch. I'm happy for her that she got this great gig in a Sunday-morning family show that will likely be in the top ten in TV ratings.

Not being a connoisseur of the genre, I'll have to leave judgment of the show to others, but I found it entertaining, for sure, with good pacing and direction...koko.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 14:45   Link #17
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I can't wait to watch this. I hope it means that the Pretty Cure franchise will experience the revival it deserves. <3

I noticed that the OP & ED are widescreen. Is this the case for the actual episode as well? If so, wouldn't that make this the first "true" mahou shoujo anime to be made in widescreen? (If Splash Star was widescreen as well, chalk up this comment to ignorance.)
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 14:54   Link #18
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Quote:
Changes for this season.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

In any case I'll be watching this hopefully as soon as I can. If nothing else it looks like it could be fun. Although I suspect it will likely be a case of introduce one member at a time in terms of the transformation scene. Granted I could be wrong, but only time will tell.
Old 2007-02-04, 21:24   Link #19
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
I can't wait to watch this. I hope it means that the Pretty Cure franchise will experience the revival it deserves. <3

I noticed that the OP & ED are widescreen. Is this the case for the actual episode as well? If so, wouldn't that make this the first "true" mahou shoujo anime to be made in widescreen? (If Splash Star was widescreen as well, chalk up this comment to ignorance.)
Yes, the show is widescreen, and not only that, it airs in high definition too!

Sasami's Mahou Shoujo Club was/is wide screen as well, however. If you want to count that as mahou shoujo, that is.... I personally would classify it as a slice of life comedy.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-02-05, 12:08   Link #20
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I meant shoujo mahou shoujo (lol). Magical Project S was mahou shoujo aimed at the same male demographic as the rest of the Tenchi series, so I assumed Sasami's Mahou Shoujo Club was the same... not sure of that though.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical girl, school life