Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-04, 16:08   Link #61
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
HS guys don't, as a rule, act tsundere towards each other, and there was a strong tone of that here.
That's nonsense . Who made up such a rule?

Quote:
As a rule, teenaged boys feel very emotional and act like they don't. Really, these scenes were just lifted straight from a story about girls - there wasn't anything different about them.
Do you really know how much nonsense this comes across as being?

Seriously, why can't males, in your opinion act the way the four boys did in this first episode? Enough with the rules, males can act that way. I've seen it before, many people have seen it before.
Old 2011-10-04, 16:08   Link #62
Funkatron
Highly irregular

It's funny: I kept waiting for the big reveal where the long-haired guy was really a girl in bad drag. That would have least caught my interest
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 17:20   Link #63
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
In sum, there needed to be some rough edge to their interaction, and there wasn't. It was soft and sepia-colored and gentle, and - though I may be struck by lightning for saying it - emo. As a rule, teenaged boys feel very emotional and act like they don't. Really, these scenes were just lifted straight from a story about girls - there wasn't anything different about them. I hope that makes sense - it's not a terribly easy thing to describe. When it comes to authentic guy behavior, I know it when I see it - and this wasn't it.
That's why I said I felt it was mostly one character. I kind of felt the other guys were a "little" bit rough with each other, though not anywhere near the level of typical guys from my experience of course.

But you're perfectly right, this is a show where you could swap the gender and not have very much difference as of episode 1. It's a bit disappointing admittedly.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 17:30   Link #64
Kirarakim

Okay my expectations might have been too high but what I was hoping for was something like Oofuri just without the baseball.

I don't think the characters act like girls, they just seem to lack personality in general to me.
Old 2011-10-04, 18:09   Link #65
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That's nonsense . Who made up such a rule?

Do you really know how much nonsense this comes across as being?

Seriously, why can't males, in your opinion act the way the four boys did in this first episode? Enough with the rules, males can act that way. I've seen it before, many people have seen it before.
Most adolescent psychologists would disagree with you - there are countless books I could recommend that cover this topic, though this one is one I found quite sensitive and well-written.

Obviously there's a range of behavior in any group in any school in any country - we're talking about tendencies here, not rules. Hard as it is to believe, there are very significant differences in the way boys and girls tend to behave. The operative question here is what guys you're going to make a TV series (or at least write a manga) about.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 18:48   Link #66
Irisiel

And K-On and ARIA aren't realistic depictions of girls (if they were, I don't think the Undines would have primarily white uniforms while working all-day jobs that require quite a lot of moving and bending around, think about the bled-through possibilities! And Yui would be crying because her boobs are sore and she can't hug Gita about once every month, not to mention cramps. Oh yeah, and the never-ending quest for bras that fit both your body and lifestyle, don't get me started on that).

I think these kind of shows are just meant to be soothing and wispy by nature. Many guys in my country (and our neighboring countries as well), for example, can be found acting the way these guys are (just, not all the time), so there can also be a cultural element at play.

So in the end one always get the sanitized version in these kind of stories (did we ever hear Nyanko-sensei tease Natsume about morning wood?), mainly because they are supposed to be light and fluffy.

Though I do agree that they need to define the characters a bit more, but still, I enjoyed first episode.
Irisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 18:50   Link #67
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
A fair question, and one I admit is not easy to answer as there's some element of "feel" to it. Again, I would reference Ghost Hound as an example of a non-slapstick or especially machismo series where teenaged boys behave naturally.

I don't think having the guys fixated on cute things that happened when they were chibis was a good idea, for starters. HS guys don't, as a rule, act tsundere towards each other, and there was a strong tone of that here. Guys that age tend to verbally push each other a lot, test their limits, act a little crudely. They talk about girls and sex, they talk about gaming, or something on TV or a movie, they make fun of people they don't like.

In sum, there needed to be some rough edge to their interaction, and there wasn't. It was soft and sepia-colored and gentle, and - though I may be struck by lightning for saying it - emo. As a rule, teenaged boys feel very emotional and act like they don't. Really, these scenes were just lifted straight from a story about girls - there wasn't anything different about them. I hope that makes sense - it's not a terribly easy thing to describe.
The thing is, this supposed 'edge' that they lack is due to their personalities. Kaname is emotional enough but he's also the uptight bookworm personality that prevents him from being more outgoing. The twins are snarky and constantly banter with him (like guys do) but being the deadpan characters they are they appear listless most of the time. Shun is the quiet, girly person of their group. Chizuru is pretty much the liveliest of the group, except he has yet to show up (but I suspect people will find something about him to denounce his manhood with either way). Admittedly I also found the twin's deadpan behaviour during their kindergarten days odd at first but at the same time I'm not gonna deny the possibility of such kids existing and move on with the story.

Quote:
When it comes to authentic guy behavior, I know it when I see it - and this wasn't it.
But this is all based on what your experiences and impression of what 'authentic guy behaviour' is and that's fine, cause our surroundings shape our thoughts and all that. What I don't like is how you and many others on the net immediately outright deny and denounce the fact such people exist. Well here's the thing, they do and I'm not even talking about some secluded minority or lost civilization here. Lines like 'I know authentic guy behaviour when I see it', 'This isn't how true guys act' or "As a rule' is just trying to impose your own beliefs on others.

As someone who grew up in an Asian country and is currently living abroad I have seen both your definition 'real guys' and the guys that are shown in KB and can very much say that both are as common as the other so are you all trying to tell me that a great number of guys I know/have met (myself included) are just girls with penises? I'm very much with Shiroth that this is all just coming off as nonsense right now.
Kakkou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 19:00   Link #68
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I don't really want to step into the discussion of what makes for "guy behavior", but I just wanted to agree with Enzo on the point that most of what was not so great about the first episode of Kimi to Boku are the same things that generally are not so great about its estrogen-laden equivalents.

I like the characters, but if the show is going to move like a snail on quaaludes, I don't know how far that will carry it for me.

Also, fair play to whoever added the "hair brushing" tag.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 19:01   Link #69
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Honestly, I feel as if this conversation has about run its natural life cycle. I'm just going to wait and see what future episodes bring at this point.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 22:10   Link #70
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I have no idea what is going on and its only the first episode the whole flash back to preschool really threw me
Old 2011-10-04, 22:32   Link #71
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
And K-On and ARIA aren't realistic depictions of girls (if they were, I don't think the Undines would have primarily white uniforms while working all-day jobs that require quite a lot of moving and bending around, think about the bled-through possibilities! And Yui would be crying because her boobs are sore and she can't hug Gita about once every month, not to mention cramps. Oh yeah, and the never-ending quest for bras that fit both your body and lifestyle, don't get me started on that).
Your right about that ^

Now High School Girls is a closer depiction of real life girls
Old 2011-10-05, 01:45   Link #72
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Everyone looks so sleepy (characters design wise) and the plot is moving slow. I am falling asleep by the seconds...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 03:44   Link #73
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I like the characters, but if the show is going to move like a snail on quaaludes, I don't know how far that will carry it for me.
I don't exactly see why this show needs to move fast. Have you seen a slice of life show before?
Old 2011-10-05, 18:47   Link #74
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Everyone looks so sleepy (characters design wise) and the plot is moving slow. I am falling asleep by the seconds...
They certainly look sleepy, but for me this was one of those shows that ended sooner than I thought it would. It had my attention from beginning to end. Even the second time.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 22:43   Link #75
LC
Shocking Pink

Loved the manga and loved the first episode as well. Hopefully, J.C. Staff can keep up the good work. Last season's Kamisama no Memochou started off strong, but then it sorta faltered.
Old 2011-10-05, 22:45   Link #76
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I'll also agree with Enzo,now I'm not going to debate what males should act like,there's probably cultural differences,and yes I know anime girls in shows like this aren't really realistic.

My disapointment about the way the boys interacted with eachother isn't about "hey,these boys aren't acting like I think boys should" but rather "using boys was an opportunity to show different kind of character interaction but so far it's just the same old thing"

Still found some nice moments in there so I'll still stick with it for now.
Old 2011-10-05, 23:24   Link #77
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

I know even without said sexual tension, the BL fanwork will still roll out like clockwork. I'm not quite sure what to think of this show. Maybe I'll give it a couple eps.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 00:38   Link #78
VoidMiracle

@ http://www.heroacg.com/archives/2046
shortened due to foul language...not made by me, this is meant to be a joke...hope this doesn't offend anyone
VoidMiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 04:19   Link #79
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I don't see a problem about the boys , they have their own tastes & interests , people should stop thinking that there are alone in the world.

"same old thing" who cares. It's not worst than usually Harem/Ecchi anime..
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-06, 09:22   Link #80
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
"same old thing" who cares. It's not worst than usually Harem/Ecchi anime..
Except that when I watch a harem/echi anime I go in expecting "the same old thing" so there's no room for disappointment,here I was hoping for something different.

Tags
j.c. staff, shounen, slice of life