AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-10, 05:30   Link #301
Snuffle
likes cute things

Funny how this thread exploded with me only voicing my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
Annyonig little brats reminds me how annoying and clingy little sisters and their freinds can be.

Masuzu seems to not really be that kind of a person who would really do that. So I treat is just like a empty threat.
Besides, you don't chose who you fell in in love in the first place and this blackmail is only used as a plot device.
Anyway, let's see how it develops between them before making fanboy statements.
Oh please... You're calling me a fanboy for not liking a character? If that's what you consider a fanboy then what you're doing is no different than me. The plot device is obvious so you don't even need to go there.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 10:11   Link #302
larethian

^ Yeah I find it funny why some people are targeting you rather than the "knowers". You are mostly in speculative mode and reserving 'final judgment' the way I understand it. Perhaps there's some communication breakdown with some of the posters. I'm always amused however by some of the seers who can see through the series and characters from just episode 1.

On a side note, I'm glad I didn't think of TLing the series seriously or you would have been bombarded on why your speculations are wrong and why everyone should continue watching the series, spoilers included. To me, it's just his loss if anyone makes an uninformed decision and dropped it at episode 1.

On another side note, I don't really agree Masuzu is portrayed as plain. Perhaps we have a difference in perception of the presentation or character design in the anime, but I thought it was pretty obvious otherwise with regards to portrayal. *shrug*

On another side note, I was just wondering whether pointing out certain scenes in the anime as significant (like 'you guys missed this scene') while not providing an explanation on why so would be considered as spoiler hints? I was wondering why some of the things that I expected to be brought up were not brought up. Perhaps, the first half was just too boring.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 10:38   Link #303
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
On another side note, I was just wondering whether pointing out certain scenes in the anime as significant (like 'you guys missed this scene') while not providing an explanation on why so would be considered as spoiler hints?
Yes, it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I'm glad I didn't think of TLing the series seriously or you would have been bombarded on why your speculations are wrong and why everyone should continue watching the series, spoilers included.
I'm glad you didn't do that either because that would have been against the Spoiler Policy... Even this comment goes further than it probably should. Please do not correct anyone's speculations using knowledge of the source material.

Feel free to post your observations in the Novel thread.
Old 2013-01-10, 10:38   Link #304
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
Funny how this thread exploded with me only voicing my opinion.

Oh please... You're calling me a fanboy for not liking a character? If that's what you consider a fanboy then what you're doing is no different than me. The plot device is obvious so you don't even need to go there.
I'm not calling you a fanboy for not liking a charater, that is you right.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 10:50   Link #305
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Masuzu IS the school idol for the reasons listed by Justin. It's likely that light novel writer have written her with those tropes in mind to give her the whole highclass, mysterious, un-attainable aura. What's more interesting about her are the other quirks she have been given.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 14:53   Link #306
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
So let me get this straight... Boy meets girl, girl blackmails boy, if this story follows the usual romantic comedy style, then boy and girl will fall in love... Really? A girl that blackmails you is a love interest?
How is that any worse than a girl that punches you on a regular basis being your love interest?

Quote:
Aside from that, I don't see why Masuzu is the school beauty.
Tall. Long, luscious hair. Soft and slender figure. Good face. She meets all the usual requirements for being an anime "school beauty", imo.

Is she an utter bombshell? No. But nor is Akemi Homura or Accel World's KYH, but they were similarly presented as "school beauties".

Quote:
Playing around with tropes is fine, as long as it makes enough sense for the genre it's being used in. I have a hard time seeing how a person would fall in love with another after they have blackmailed you...
I probably wouldn't fall for a person that blackmailed me either, but weirder things have happened in anime, imo.
Old 2013-01-10, 15:51   Link #307
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

I just noticed that the first public broadcast of this on niconico has gotten close to 7k views and over 1k comments in 5 hours (it was posted at 12 : 00 am, and thus it's "downtime"). That's a much better view / time ratio than other series that I have checked.
Old 2013-01-10, 16:15   Link #308
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
...I probably wouldn't fall for a person that blackmailed me either, but weirder things have happened in anime, imo.
It's sort of insulting that she's just using him, but maybe it will make him want to get her to fall in love with him for real, to clear the insult. And maybe if she starts to see his good points, she will start to treat him well and that will make him like her more.

Anyway, I don't dislike her, but (as usual) I like the osananajimi better. She actually likes him already, so creating a relationship would be easier. And she is reasonably good looking, and a fun person.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 17:25   Link #309
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
How is that any worse than a girl that punches you on a regular basis being your love interest?

I probably wouldn't fall for a person that blackmailed me either, but weirder things have happened in anime, imo.
I think on a deeper level, about the tone of the setting and/or theme, I don't do things like saying "well something like this or that happened in some other show."

For example, often times in shoujo shows a slap to the face is something pretty serious (from what I've seen, which is not many) since the relationships there are meant to be portrayed as close to reality as possible. But compared to something like To Love Ru, getting punched up into the sky, getting stomped on the ground, etc. is the norm there, so the viewer really isn't suppose to think nothing of it.

To me, this show is still setting up what it wants to be. Slice of life? Comedy? Romance? A bunch of fun and games? And how much of each? So for now I have to take a neutral opinion and relate it to real life.
Old 2013-01-10, 18:12   Link #310
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I think on a deeper level, about the tone of the setting and/or theme, I don't do things like saying "well something like this or that happened in some other show."
I don't think that tone alone can excuse or justify everything. A relationship in which one person is regularly raining physical abuse down on the other person is simply not a relationship that looks good to me, unless it clearly moves out of that phase. I don't care how comedic it is, it's still presenting regular physical abuse within a relationship, which is very off-putting to me. It's certainly not better than a lone case of blackmail.

Also, didn't you just question how Masuzu could be considered a school beauty based on "other school beauties in some other shows"?

So you're drawing comparisons between the characters/situations in this show to characters/situations in other shows just like I am.

Which is fine. There's nothing about that which is somehow incompatible with "thinking on a deeper level".
Old 2013-01-10, 18:30   Link #311
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
I don't think that tone alone can excuse or justify everything. A relationship in which one person is regularly raining physical abuse down on the other person is simply not a relationship that looks good to me, unless it clearly moves out of that phase. I don't care how comedic it is, it's still presenting regular physical abuse within a relationship, which is very off-putting to me. It's certainly not better than a lone case of blackmail.

Also, didn't you just question how Masuzu could be considered a school beauty based on "other school beauties in some other shows"?

So you're drawing comparisons between the characters/situations in this show to characters/situations in other shows just like I am.

Which is fine. There's nothing about that which is somehow incompatible with "thinking on a deeper level".
There's nothing wrong with seeing it that way, I don't disagree either. Looking at it from a single or a not so loose perspective no matter the theme is actually quite interesting, I enjoy reading posts by people that have a different view than my own. I personally just adjust how seriously I take what is being shown to me based on the tone, just my way of enjoying entertainment.

I judged the school beauty thing based on the art style and design, that list I made came in an edit after I posted, it was just for reference. However, I might've compared unconsciously.

Last edited by Snuffle; 2013-01-10 at 18:49.
Old 2013-01-10, 18:55   Link #312
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
The anime reminds me of those commonly used plots in romance novels: two people who absolutely can't stand each other ends up falling in love.
Not at all, that's something completely different. Neither Masuzu nor Eita have any form of dislike, much less hate, for each other. The only thing they both dislike is love itself.
If Masuzu disliked Eita, she would've never picked him to play her fake boyfriend. You don't ask someone you hate to pretend to be your boyfriend.
Same goes for Eita. If he would dislike Masuzu in any form, he would've never agreed. He was quite reluctant already, and if he'd disliked her in any way, not even the notebook would've been enough for him to agree.

At the very least, Masuzu and Eita are indifferent to each other. I would however say that they even have a bit of sympathy for each other (even if they won't admit it yet). This sympathy made Masuzu pick Eita as a suitable candidate, and it made Eita play along and not flat out reject her.

Thus, with the seeds already being there, it's not a long shot that something will develop from it.
Therefore, it's very different from from some extremely unrealistic (and generally very schmalzy) love story where they start hating each other and end up loving each other.
Old 2013-01-10, 21:56   Link #313
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
It doesn't matter how realistic it is for Kidou to have romantic feelings toward Masuzu, who threatens to reveal his embarrassing past unless he helps her out. It seems clear to me that the anime is setting up the premise of pairing two people who profess no interest in a romantic relationship. Just look at the title of the show.

The anime reminds me of those commonly used plots in romance novels: two people who absolutely can't stand each other ends up falling in love.
Huh, it's rather surprising to me that so many people here think that the ending is obviously going to be Masuzu and Kidou. Is this based on some sort of manga knowledge?

To me the obvious love interest was Chiwa the childhood friend, with this jerkass beauty being the jolt to a childhood friendship relationship that turns it into romance.

Sigh... of course I was hoping for a similar thing in Ano Natsu, and we saw how that turned out. Maybe this has to do with a cultural difference in how the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope tends to turn out.

On the other hand, Chiwa is the first girl here, and we have her relationship with the male lead developed quite a bit before we get to Masuzu, and Masuzu is so mean to Kidou that I really have trouble figuring out how they'll end up together.

Of course I wouldn't be surprised if there is a whole plot at some point were Masuzu does develop feelings for Kidou and then can't get him to take her seriously because he assumes she's just being a faker again.

My main complaint was the OP. Man the opening was terribly bland and generic from my view.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 22:25   Link #314
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with seeing it that way, I don't disagree either. Looking at it from a single or a not so loose perspective no matter the theme is actually quite interesting, I enjoy reading posts by people that have a different view than my own. I personally just adjust how seriously I take what is being shown to me based on the tone, just my way of enjoying entertainment.
That's fine. It's possible that I've become too jaded towards certain harem tropes in my (relatively) old age.

Quote:
I judged the school beauty thing based on the art style and design, that list I made came in an edit after I posted, it was just for reference. However, I might've compared unconsciously.
To be fair, Masuzu's character design isn't one of my personal favorites. But what I find is that the "school beauty" tends to have certain character traits (basically the four I mentioned to you), and Masuzu checks them all off.

On Masuzu vs. Chiwa... Chiwa's overall enthusiasm level kind of crosses the line for me. She goes from cute genki girl to a bit more busybody-ish than what I like. She honestly makes me think of a mini-Chisato*.

Masuzu doesn't seem as nice or sincere a person, but she is more interesting to me. So I have to say that, right now at least, I prefer Eita/Masuzu.

Plus there's the fact I just love the delicious irony of two people brought together in love due to their shared dislike of love.

*Chisato from Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
Old 2013-01-11, 10:13   Link #315
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
I'd watch out for those dagger sharp elbows.

Don't know much about this series yet. But apparently the source is so popular that 13 Chinese fansub groups jumped on the first episode. (Yes, you read it correct, 13 of them True Shuraba of fansubbers). I'll see what the rest of the episodes brings.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 16:17   Link #316
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Overall, I really liked the first episode of this. I cracked up everytime Eita said Burning Fighting Fighter. I'm sure other people just couldn't help but laugh at that.

I liked the OP, it was pretty good for a romantic comedy series. The ED that played over Chiwa running towards Eita and Masuzu sounded good too.

I'll form my opinion on whom I want Eita to end up with once I meet all of them, but I think I might be cheering on the osananajimi even though she does have some annoying traits. So fight on, Chiwa, fight on.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 22:48   Link #317
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Don't know much about this series yet. But apparently the source is so popular that 13 Chinese fansub groups jumped on the first episode. (Yes, you read it correct, 13 of them True Shuraba of fansubbers). I'll see what the rest of the episodes brings.
Good grief... where did you get the info that 13 Chinese groups are doing the series? XD

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-01-12 at 02:16. Reason: removed unrelated meme video
Shimapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 11:18   Link #318
arkxkra
全力全開

ep1 not bad, Masuzu catch my eye. and love Yukari voice
Old 2013-01-12, 11:49   Link #319
Itlandm
Porcupine

On a random note, I was baffled to see the protagonist study using mini-cards on his way to school. Surely Japanese these days use their smartphone just like we. Japan was actually earlier with smartphones than the west.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 12:22   Link #320
ookamigirl

Masuzu & Eita + Chiwa as the third wheel.
Looks like she's the one opposed to that relationship.
Judging by her reaction to Eita's girlfriend, she also has feelings for him.
Masuzu sure knows how to spin others as she pleases.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, coming of age, harem, romance, school life, shounen