AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-15, 00:05   Link #221
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

If I wanna watch a movie/show where theres no character development and just mindless action. I'll go watch Rambo.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 00:20   Link #222
Xburnout
Cake>Pie.

Spoiler for ep2:
Old 2008-10-15, 00:26   Link #223
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
If I wanna watch a movie/show where theres no character development and just mindless action. I'll go watch Rambo.
There's different types of character development. Rather than saying there's none at the minute, you should look at it the other way. They're actually showing the bad guys as the supervillans first, rather than the usual other way around.

It's a novel way of doing things, and in a market that is fast heading for stagnation it's twists like this that can reinvigorate a story.

Also look at heroic age. Age had almost no development throughout the series, hell id even go as far as to say no development, but that's because he wasn't the focus. While he was the center of the story, the focus was the princess, so he didn't need the development.

The problem is how long they drag it out, 3 or 4 episodes is the limit i'd say. After that it will become tedius, and by 6 or 7 you'll have lost viewers. It's a fine line between novel and boring
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 00:31   Link #224
kamikazex

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer View Post
Hey, the bad guys are winning for once. Doesn't everyone keep saying "it's annoying how the good guys always win"?

I love Yomi's ruthlesness. Normally in a scene like the last one where the good guy is captured and everything seems hopeless, the bad guy will either let their guard down and get killed or the good guy will release some hidden power and win. Instead, Ga Rei pretty much shoves in your face the fact that such shitty plot devices don't work here.
totally agreed. was kind've expecting some hero to come flying in to save her just cuz it's done 99% of the time. very refreshing to watch the victim die for a change
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 01:47   Link #225
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Anyone know the names of the twins with shotguns?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 02:16   Link #226
Cight

Hmm, this one's determined to keep its cards close to its chest. It's quite generic in some ways but then it suddenly throws a gigantic spanner in the works at the end. Hopefully episode 3 will shed some light on direction. Otherwise it could get annoying continually being introduced to new characters and having arbitrarily last second plot twists.
Cight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 04:35   Link #227
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

wow, again, we're suprised.More or less, I wasn't really surprised by Kagura's death but until the last second I was still waiting for some plot device that would save her.There wasn't, Yumi rocks.

But I hope it won't be like this every ep and the generic action has to stop, please.
Old 2008-10-15, 05:04   Link #228
Zippicus

I don't necessarily mind the direction they're taking with this show, provided they give us the "why" part pretty soon. They had a great opportunity to toss us a bone or two during episode 2 but decided not to for whatever reason. IMO the longer they drag out the "why" part, the better the explanation needs to be. If it's some lame reason like the main bad guy is controlling her somehow, they really needed to get that out in the open by now.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 10:26   Link #229
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xburnout View Post
Spoiler for ep2:
LMAO the best comment yet.
Old 2008-10-15, 11:37   Link #230
kljs
Codename : Dreams

Send a message via ICQ to kljs Send a message via MSN to kljs Send a message via Yahoo to kljs
I am predicting a ........... 4 months earlier..........kinda thingy......

because the main website has all the main character that were killed off in episode 1. Episode 2 more characters died.

Maybe the Zero = 0 = Everyone dies = You just wasted 22mins watching this insane anime.

or

you can see a headline on some major anime website
"Ga-rei Zero canceled because the series director has a history psychological problems."

Seriously, give it at least 5 episodes...... if by the end of episode 5, Yomi is still beheading the lead guys, you know it's time to return to reality and say "This show is getting no where."
Episode 3 - episode 5 will define this whole insane anime....... just give it 3 more chances....
kljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 11:41   Link #231
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Yes, just give it a chance and watch it till the end to comprehend just WHY the good guys are really supposed to win in the end Mainly cause bad guys winning ends up nowhere Seriously, I hope the last 3 eps at least shed some light to what the hell is going on and what is the purpose of the anime besides having episodes when different people are killed by the same villain. I don't have a real hope for ep 3, cause since ep 2 is the same, I'm waiting for a half-n-half series.
Old 2008-10-15, 12:17   Link #232
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But the 2 characters featured in ep. 2 are manga characters that occur after Zero's timeline so they would have to survive. 1 of them is the main character of the manga. I'm sure both will survive whatever hit them. It's not like both of them died on camera. They prob have pretty nasty wounds though.

I don't see it as a problem having Yomi as the main focus of the series. She's an anti-heroine who just happens to be the traditional antagonist. Kagura (the traditional heroine) has probably stated the focus of the series "Why is Yomi doing what she is doing?" . The tagline is an ever present challenge to poor Kagura and Nori "Will you kill someone you love, because of love?"

This is a nice dark title. I hope Yomi continues to paint the town red.
Old 2008-10-15, 12:21   Link #233
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Actually, I consider them kinda dead I mean, what, she wounded them but left them alive? Why would she do that? And ok, even if she IS the series focus, 1) what's the point?, 2) what's the plan? 3) what's the reason? They're just killing random people that seem like the main chars, and there's hardly any reasoning so far. However, it being still ep 2 and waiting for ep 3 to be one of the same, I at least want ep 4 to give reasons and not just have her kill off another bunch of hopefuls And I need a decent resolution. Finding her motives only to see her continue killing groups till the end of the series isn't really doing much. The awe factor is over, now we need a proper series, please

Last edited by npal; 2008-10-15 at 12:43.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 12:30   Link #234
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

You prob need to wait further. The 2 in this episode actually fight another day in the manga so thinking that people who lost to Yomi got killed off camera may not be what happened here. Actually, you don't know what happened to Nori. He refused to fight Yomi apparently. His friend could have went against Yomi and provided some time for him to try to get to Kagura but Yomi beat him there first and then the battle between those 2 started. The rest of the this week's team seemed to have survived.

Actually, the first team bodies were never stated as recovered. Don't you guys think that this little fact is odd too?

To the complainers: Maybe you should consider watching something else and let those who like this title talk about it in peace.
Old 2008-10-15, 12:51   Link #235
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Too short too drop, too early to judge It DOES have a redeeming point of actually appearing to kill off the first group, but rince and repeat won't work forever If it was pure crap, I doubt many would choose to continue with it, it's because the ep1 was interesting enough that people choose to put up with ep 2 and possibly ep 3 doing the same. I bet most are just waiting for at least ep 4 and whether anything new will come out of it before they drop it. But personally, even if it's the same, being only 6 eps, and me having a tendency not to drop anime, I'll just watch the other 2 even if it turns out to be major crap.

Well, it's not like people are complaining cause episode 1 was crap. I think most complain because ep 1 was interesting and ep 2 is just one of the same.
Old 2008-10-15, 12:54   Link #236
Argent

If they're still alive it makes what's happening even more of a lie to the audience. We've got zero understanding for what is going on already, and there's only one fact we know going forward -

Yomi is killing off the people in her past who mattered to her.

But you can't call her an anti-hero because there's no apparent reason for her actions and anti-heroes are main characters who do the right thing for the wrong reasons. And she's not the main character because we don't follow her as the main character. She is the McGuffin. She's Harry Lime in The Third Man. The show is about her, but she's not the center of the show.

Since individual characters keep dying, the "main character" is turning out to be the Ministry of Environment as a whole. Yomi vs MoE (and does anyone else think the whole reason for calling it Ministry of Environment is because the initials are moe?).
Argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 13:00   Link #237
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Watched episode 2, and still enjoying it quite a bit. It is indeed a bit unconventional way to tell the story, but i am all for it. For once we don't have the good guy's saving the day non stop, ensuring that justice prevails one way or the other. For once, the 'big bad' actually takes the front line, instead of chuckling from some dark alley for half the series while it's minions get slaughtered. For once, there is no main character plot shield.

I am intrigued in seeing where this is heading , and i am more than willing to find out. I like the prospects of Yomi being a villain and a main character at the same time - she makes for a classy villain The timing and usage of soundrack is once again spot on, definitely one of the defining aspects of the series. (must ... have ...OST...).

I guess we are to find out the next ep whether Kagura indeed died, or 'just' lost an arm or similar
Old 2008-10-15, 13:29   Link #238
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
The timing and usage of soundrack is once again spot on, definitely one of the defining aspects of the series. (must ... have ...OST...).
Indeed i agree with you, the musical score for the series is one of the many strong points from the series. Especially during the actions scenes.

I'm still a little confused, i mean is this a prequel or an alternate telling of the manga? I guess these first few episodes could be set before the manga, and then they'll move into that material at some point.
Old 2008-10-15, 13:37   Link #239
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent View Post
If they're still alive it makes what's happening even more of a lie to the audience. We've got zero understanding for what is going on already, and there's only one fact we know going forward -

Yomi is killing off the people in her past who mattered to her.

But you can't call her an anti-hero because there's no apparent reason for her actions and anti-heroes are main characters who do the right thing for the wrong reasons. And she's not the main character because we don't follow her as the main character. She is the McGuffin. She's Harry Lime in The Third Man. The show is about her, but she's not the center of the show.

Since individual characters keep dying, the "main character" is turning out to be the Ministry of Environment as a whole. Yomi vs MoE (and does anyone else think the whole reason for calling it Ministry of Environment is because the initials are moe?).
I agree with you and i think you are on to the whole its a lie to audience. I am still very intrigued by the concept. The real problem i see is that this could go two ways. It could go the way some people think and be a very unique way of telling a story or it could continue with the WTF factor and not give enough information to make the pieces fit which would cause it to fail. The direction is risky but the gains could far outweigh the losses if its done properly. Yomi killing her teammates i driving force right now and why so many people are continuing to watch its a good ploy. But i tell yea something good better come out of this because there will be many a pissed off fan if sux ass.

I think many viewers right now including myself have so much they want to watch that prospect of waiting several episodes to even get a small answer to whats really happening is time wasted. I have not seen anything really negative about the series but "whats going on"

Yomi is indeed a curious villian and i dont think we can call her an Anti-hero But for argument sake if she feels killing off the people who were close to her is right then a small ounce of Anti-villiany could apply. The problem is we dont know yet what lead to her corruption and why she feel the need to kill off her former teammates. the only real part that was somewhat explained was her hatred of Kagura and that is just pure jealousy. She admitted that she could not beat Kagura in a fair fight even after turning to the dare i say it "THE DARKSIDE". Really the only reason she won is because Kagura didnt fight back and took advantage of that.

I am going to wait till a couple of episodes come out then watch it in one sitting that way i wont have to wait a week with the WTF factor bothering me.

Anyone who has any hope that episode 3 will reveal anymore than episode 1 or 2 did is for a disappointment its pretty the same as episode 2 with one little exception. You dont even need subs to watch these episodes.

There better be a good reason for killing off Natsuki. To kill off the hot chick who rides a bike is just a crime. Thats like killing Priss from BGC its gotta be a sin.

Last edited by Sinestra; 2008-10-15 at 15:52.
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 13:52   Link #240
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You prob need to wait further. The 2 in this episode actually fight another day in the manga so thinking that people who lost to Yomi got killed off camera may not be what happened here. Actually, you don't know what happened to Nori. He refused to fight Yomi apparently. His friend could have went against Yomi and provided some time for him to try to get to Kagura but Yomi beat him there first and then the battle between those 2 started.
I think the ferret familiar getting beheaded is more than enough clue of Nori's fate

As for this series, I think it is refreshing...and will fully support the view that; "people die when they are killed"...*drum roll on mr obvious*.

I never thought about Yomi being an anti hero...I think it depends on her side of the story as she could easily just be a villain for me right now. But I am all up for a tragic past and why she is doing this. Plus one for the tragic types!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen