Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-07, 12:08   Link #1181
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Hmm, i don't know about this. Knowing what's going to happen, but having to experience how it happened was much more emotional then a simple surprise.
I don't know. Its a tough choice now that I think about it more. I think you get a different sense of sadness depending on whether you knew or not. But since I knew what was going to happen I was able to prepare for it. There was more of a buffer. I feel that if there wasn't that buffer, it would have hit me harder.

I think they could have made it a little more emotional towards the end too. A little glad they didn't, lol.
Spoiler for Final Few Episodes:
I don't know...I think this is all me and I'm looking too much into, expecting and looking for something that isn't there.

Also, the impending doom feeling that you had in the first couple of episodes kind of disappeared at the end though, that was a little weird. But I guess once the death stone was gone, the dark ki didn't gather like it did before.

Gotta hand it to that white haired little bastard. He planned it all out quite well. And no one knowing about him just added to the tragedy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straferd View Post
You didnt find the amv really sad? asking since you just finished the series.
I'm a little afraid to watch it in all honesty. I might a little later, I'll see.
Old 2009-12-07, 12:10   Link #1182
straferd
Toushi

It is probably now or never, the longer you wait the lesser effect it will have.
crying can be good for the soul as well

well i saw it 4 times in a row and cried every time. But I know what you mean, I am affraid of watching it now.
straferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 13:23   Link #1183
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Going back to the anime here, I am still a little awe struck. They should have done it chronologically, started with episode 3 and placing 1 and 2 towards the end. It would have definitely been more emotional.
I completely disagree. One of the reasons this show was good was because of this method of out-of-order storytelling.

If nothing else, the pacing would have been horrible. In its current form, it begins with two episodes of action, then drops incredibly slow to character drama, slowly building the pace back up for the ending. In chronological order, it would have been too slow at the beginning.
Old 2009-12-07, 14:55   Link #1184
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
It is probably now or never, the longer you wait the lesser effect it will have.
crying can be good for the soul as well

well i saw it 4 times in a row and cried every time. But I know what you mean, I am affraid of watching it now.
I'll watch it when I get home tonight. I'm at work now and the last thing I need is to get all sad and cry a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
I completely disagree. One of the reasons this show was good was because of this method of out-of-order storytelling.

If nothing else, the pacing would have been horrible. In its current form, it begins with two episodes of action, then drops incredibly slow to character drama, slowly building the pace back up for the ending. In chronological order, it would have been too slow at the beginning.
I don't mind a slow pace. But things definitely started with a bang.

But I'm probably just looking for a way to make it better for no good reason, so I'll withdraw what I said. Besides, it was very enjoyable, I liked it a lot, and that's what's most important.

Okay. The AMV made me tear up a little.

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2009-12-07 at 20:23. Reason: Added after watching AMV.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-08, 06:50   Link #1185
straferd
Toushi

Personally I got sadder for each time I saw it..
Old 2009-12-09, 03:32   Link #1186
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I think it worked good here, but it would have been more emotional if we didn't know what was going to happen. But then again, it also gave you a unique point of view since you knew something was going to go wrong, a similar view you get when you watch a series a 2nd time.

I've been saying this a lot but I would have cried if I didn't know. I almost did when I watched it.

YUMI!!
The out of order sequene worked really well for this show because I think more people got attracted to what happened to yomi. It is a transition from a great hero turning to a great villian.
Knightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 03:34   Link #1187
Knightrunner

Quote:
Personally I got sadder for each time I saw it..
Actually I kind of got use to it but its still sad to watch.
Old 2009-12-09, 03:41   Link #1188
straferd
Toushi

The hospital scene is so touching, isn't it?
Spoiler for Episode 9, hospital scene:
Old 2009-12-09, 03:46   Link #1189
Knightrunner

Quote:
wow you have good taste in scenes. that was one of the best scenes i saw.

Spoiler for another touching scene:
Old 2009-12-09, 03:52   Link #1190
Knightrunner

Another touching scene was

Old 2009-12-09, 05:05   Link #1191
straferd
Toushi

both scenes are in the amv. specially the "phone stabbing" brought additional tears to my eyes.
Old 2009-12-09, 21:55   Link #1192
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I somehow blasted through 20 chapters of the manga today. I suggest you guys read it, its pretty good. But once you do you'll know why they chose to do a prequel story for the anime and be more glad they did.

Quote:
I didn't get that exactly. I know why she ran out, but not sure why she did, if that makes sense. I guess she doubted her, but it didn't really show in her reaction when she was in the room. I thought it was a little weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
wow you have good taste in scenes. that was one of the best scenes i saw.

That one got me good. With the music and her voice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
Another touching scene was

That scene I knew was coming from what happened with Mei. So it didn't hit me as hard as the rest.

I thought the scene when Nori's father visited Yomi in the hospital was very heart wrenching. It was one of the last straws too.

And Nori sure did disappoint me. And I think I would have cried if the characters did more on screen. That seems to be when I cry most of the time. Monkey see, monkey do?
Old 2009-12-09, 23:01   Link #1193
brocko

Just recently finished the series via marathon. Saw the amv and it really got me choked up

Damn was this show so heart-wrenching. They build everything up so much and so well only to just cruelly take it all away in the end. The worse part of it all is that you know it's coming and there's nothing much you can do about it

I kept hoping all throughout that there'd be at least some sort of saviour for Yomi, but I'm glad there wasn't, it would've been too much of a cop out if there had been. This is probably just me in denial, but for me I really do want to think that the real Yomi died when she had gotten impaled right after the fight with Mei

BTW for those who've read the manga, does the butterfly boy still play a part in the manga? I'd be inclined to think so since they left him relatively unscathed in the anime unless they plan on saving him for a Ga Rei 0.5 set during the two years between zero and manga Ga Rei. If they were going to do another anime of Ga Rei i know I'd probably prefer one based on the two year gap or on the massacred section 4 as opposed to a straight manga to anime adaption.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 23:52   Link #1194
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Just recently finished the series via marathon. Saw the amv and it really got me choked up

Damn was this show so heart-wrenching. They build everything up so much and so well only to just cruelly take it all away in the end. The worse part of it all is that you know it's coming and there's nothing much you can do about it

I kept hoping all throughout that there'd be at least some sort of saviour for Yomi, but I'm glad there wasn't, it would've been too much of a cop out if there had been. This is probably just me in denial, but for me I really do want to think that the real Yomi died when she had gotten impaled right after the fight with Mei

BTW for those who've read the manga, does the butterfly boy still play a part in the manga? I'd be inclined to think so since they left him relatively unscathed in the anime unless they plan on saving him for a Ga Rei 0.5 set during the two years between zero and manga Ga Rei. If they were going to do another anime of Ga Rei i know I'd probably prefer one based on the two year gap or on the massacred section 4 as opposed to a straight manga to anime adaption.
I really think that the direction was decent, but the melodrama is not as good because I had read the manga, but if you view it as a stand alone, it actually is decent, although it could have left out the cg.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 02:29   Link #1195
straferd
Toushi

This is one of those anime that I really would love to see a second season of, specially considering that
Spoiler for manga, yomi:
Old 2009-12-10, 03:25   Link #1196
brocko

Quote:
This is one of those anime that I really would love to see a second season of, specially considering that
Spoiler for manga, yomi:
Just a small question.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
I really think that the direction was decent, but the melodrama is not as good because I had read the manga, but if you view it as a stand alone, it actually is decent, although it could have left out the cg.
I'll agree on the CG part, it stood out like a sore thumb, but it's a relatively minor thing imo as they only used it for that fire dinosaur demon and you don't even noticed it after awhile.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2009-12-10, 03:30   Link #1197
straferd
Toushi

Spoiler for manga:
Old 2009-12-10, 03:47   Link #1198
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
im looking to start Watching Ga-Rei and was just wondering how it would be rated to the awesomeness scale of 1 to 10?
Old 2009-12-10, 03:53   Link #1199
brocko

^ It would rank pretty high up on that scale imo. As for exactly where that would probably depend as your mileage may vary.
It's well worth a watch that much is for sure

Quote:
Spoiler for manga:
Spoiler:

Old 2009-12-10, 04:08   Link #1200
straferd
Toushi

nah, it is Spoiler wrapped, shouldn't be a problem.

@ Full Metal Coast : I gave it a 9/10. It is a 8 or a 9, but the AMV reminded me how beautiful story it actually is.

Tags
action, shounen