AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-02, 23:10   Link #41
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
But considering the very nature of this show is to play off off the comedic nature of their hateful or broken personalities in a very playful manner, I find it a bit disingenuous so suggest that people have such ill spirited intentions.
I only again want to clarify one point. Please don't misunderstand. I have acknowledged multiple times here that I am not questioning the intentions of the fans. I have no doubt that people intend nothing ill-spirited by it. Instead, my contention is that there is an unintended perception that some people (like myself) may have that the fans may not realize is there. My intent in posting was only to raise awareness of this point, like "did you know that, coming from a man, that term can be taken as a slur".

Anyway, I want to leave this point now, because my goal of raising awareness of the perception has been accomplished. You can say "rf, you're totally over-sensitive to this point" and you may be right. I am also over-sensitive when fans jokingly use terms like "rape". Maybe it's a quirk. But anyway, I was never trying to imply that the fans had any deliberate ill-intent. Just wanted to make sure I clarified that point. We can probably leave it at that.
Old 2011-11-03, 00:12   Link #42
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I only again want to clarify one point. Please don't misunderstand. I have acknowledged multiple times here that I am not questioning the intentions of the fans. I have no doubt that people intend nothing ill-spirited by it. Instead, my contention is that there is an unintended perception that some people (like myself) may have that the fans may not realize is there. My intent in posting was only to raise awareness of this point, like "did you know that, coming from a man, that term can be taken as a slur".
All right then .

I don't find anything you're saying to be untrue, but perhaps I myself never saw it as that much of an issue to get worried about. Regardless, while I myself don't it as something to get quite that worked up about, your contention is duly noted.
Old 2011-11-03, 13:31   Link #43
KLGChaos
The Shermain

What I like about Sena is that despite her arrogance, she has a cute side. Beneath all her pompousness, you get to see a girl who really does want to be liked and even in the first few episodes you see a lot of growth in her.
Old 2011-11-03, 22:29   Link #44
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

On the note about the nickname, I made a point about it in the General Thread way back.
It's not something I would like to use for such a character(especially one I love so much) but at times I just feel compelled to use it but with no ill intentions, more in an endearing way, as some have said.

Altho I can understand relentlessflame's point, I do think it's "wrong" in a way but also in it's own way a rare case where it's fine as well, as long as one doesn't mean bad by it.

Anyway, putting that aside, Sena=<3

My favortie character of the series and not just cause of how she looks(altho won't deny her looks play there part)
I think it's the feel of the character thats important and Sena hits all the right spots for me
Much like Ami from Toradora.
Old 2011-11-03, 23:01   Link #45
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Anyway, putting that aside, Sena=<3

My favortie character of the series and not just cause of how she looks(altho won't deny her looks play there part)
I think it's the feel of the character thats important and Sena hits all the right spots for me
Much like Ami from Toradora.
Yeah, I tend to agree. I think as others have commented in the thread before, the balance between her "ojou-sama" image and her total dysfunction is very well-played -- sort of like she's so perfect yet so totally helpless at the same time. And the fact is that, despite the front, she's not too unreasonable to listen to others (that aren't Yozora). In spite of it all, it feels like she's actually trying hard, even if she doesn't quite know how to go about it. If it were just her looks, then sure she's cute (and I can see why all the boys in her class slobber all over her), but I think it's actually knowing her true nature and personality deep-down that is the cuter part. I think some of her best scenes were when she was banging on the window to get into the club (the admission that she wants real friends), and when she realized/accepted that Kodaka scolded her because he cared for her. I guess you could say that "she's cutest when she's honest". (Incidentally, I also think Yozora is cutest when she's more subdued and honest, but that seems to happen less frequently than with Sena, who half the time seems to be the unwitting victim of Yozora's latest crazy idea/plan/comment.) On the more superficial front, I also really like the approach they used with Sena's voice acting -- I think it matches her character perfectly (again, the right balance between cute and stuck-up, and used appropriately).

So yeah, for me a very successful character for reasons that go well beyond looks (though, of course, those don't hurt).
Old 2011-11-03, 23:25   Link #46
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
On the more superficial front, I also really like the approach they used with Sena's voice acting -- I think it matches her character perfectly (again, the right balance between cute and stuck-up, and used appropriately).
This is one of the great things about the anime atm, is they got the VA spot on here.
Ito Kanae is great as Sena pretty much perfect for the role, unlike Inoue Marina as Yozora, which my verdict is till out on.
Old 2011-11-03, 23:58   Link #47
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Ito Kanae is great as Sena pretty much perfect for the role, unlike Inoue Marina as Yozora, which my verdict is till out on.
Without wanting to go too far off-topic, the one thing I will say about Yozora's VA is that it works especially if you consider the "tomboy" flashback. Her voice still sounds kind of "tomboy" even though it's refined as well. Given that it seems like an important plot point, that might be a key reason for that voice.

But otherwise, I generally agree that Sena's voice seems more immediately appealing and "connects" with the character more quickly. I think Yozora's voice takes a little bit of getting used to (but it's definitely not bad).
Old 2011-11-04, 00:48   Link #48
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Without wanting to go too far off-topic, the one thing I will say about Yozora's VA is that it works especially if you consider the "tomboy" flashback. Her voice still sounds kind of "tomboy" even though it's refined as well. Given that it seems like an important plot point, that might be a key reason for that voice.

But otherwise, I generally agree that Sena's voice seems more immediately appealing and "connects" with the character more quickly. I think Yozora's voice takes a little bit of getting used to (but it's definitely not bad).
Not wanting to go too much off tpoic either but yea Inoue Marina's def not bad as the role but for me just misplaced as Yozura(probably the only VA misplaced within the series so far) even if I consider her past.
Still taking time to get us to for me which is a surprise as I'd usually get used to it already or decide it's not working at all.

I guess in contrast to Sena, I think Yozura's voice kinda works, slightly more coarse to Sena's smoother tone.

After just watching ep 5, I really like how she just gets so involved in gaming.
I'm also like her, first play through I just gotta watch the cutscenes
Old 2011-11-04, 19:47   Link #49
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozen Van Kaizer View Post
Besides who doesn't want to hang out with a perfect girl?
Any girl who doesn't want to be constantly reminded of how much less than perfect she is, in comparison to her.
Old 2011-11-05, 01:45   Link #50
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Somebody says she's simple. Well, I don't think so.

Spoiler:
Old 2011-11-05, 11:17   Link #51
larethian

her "do her best" hardworking attitude reminds me of Kirino. Of course there are other things that makes Sena likeable. there's a reason why she was ranked 4th in the female character poll in "this light novel is amazing 2011". speaking of this, 2012 rankings will be out in few weeks' time. waku waku.
Old 2011-11-16, 14:10   Link #52
larethian

Meat is ranked 3rd this year. 1 rank up.
Old 2011-11-16, 21:52   Link #53
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Meat is ranked 3rd this year. 1 rank up.
Congrats, Sena

Though Haganai fell to 6th rank from what I heard
Old 2011-11-17, 03:39   Link #54
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Have definitely liked Sena's character so far in the series. Has a lot of talent, but can still support her as a kind of underdog. Joining the club to try and get friends and hanging in there when it comes to getting picked on.

Can definitely mess up, such as picking that fight after things were settled at the pool. But when scolded she actually did get it.

Even with that ability to pick things up fast she does put the time into them. Fun to see her just get sucked into games and be unable to stop until she's done something amazing.

In terms of the whole nickname thing I'll just stick to calling her Sena.
Old 2011-11-17, 13:06   Link #55
Aeshma

Come on people. The īMeatī moniker is adorable.
Old 2011-11-19, 11:18   Link #56
Sixth
Hu Tao

I am surprised to see Sena is an innocent girl. I thought she is a wolf in disguise when I watching episode 1.

Really like her now. Playing game makes her 100x cuter than other girls.
Old 2011-11-19, 13:18   Link #57
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

She was pretty hhnnnggg when she was panicking about her phone getting spammed.
Old 2011-11-19, 20:17   Link #58
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Yes, and she got Kodaka's full attention as well. Yozora really shot herself in the foot with that one
Old 2011-11-19, 20:54   Link #59
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
God I loved that scene, if there ever was a moment "hhhnnnggg" was invented for that was it!
Old 2011-11-19, 21:02   Link #60
Rozen Van Kaizer
Rozen Von Keiser

Hell yeah I loved that scene. The part when she was holding out her cell phone to show Kodaka while crying. You just feel like hugging that tiny head of hers and comfort her. "Help me, Kodaka" "My Phone!", HHHHNNNNGGG!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
characters