AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-04-19, 01:57   Link #1
aahhsin

Celebrities and Political Issues

Why do celebrities consistantly have to be involved in Politics? Exactly how much do these people know? In terms of expertise, they're as credible as you and I. Yet, there are boneheads out there that take the words of celebrities and base their positions on the decisions that someone on TV tells them. I don't understand it.

Edit: Yea yea, my spelling is terrible. Live with it.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 02:40   Link #2
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I have no problem with celeberties being involved in politics. After all, it's their right to express their opinions on all issues. One could argue that as celeberties they have a duty to use their fame to support various causes.

However, I completely agree with you about the people that base their opinion on what celeberties say. Unless the celeberty is an expert in the field, which does happen on rare occasions, it's just the opinion of someone who happens to be famous. Fame doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. People generally don't accept the ideas of some random nut on a street corner, but have that nut star in a few movies, or give him his own tv show, and all of a sudden those same ideas have merit.
Old 2006-04-19, 12:41   Link #3
Chichi

This is simply another form for status. People treat and act in accordance to who they are referring to. Status is superficial but very apparent.
Chichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 07:57   Link #4
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
It's their status quo. Just because they're wealthier than us, doesn't mean that intelligence wise. It seems that exorbiantly popular celebraties shows their primal dumbness. I watch VH1 everyonce in a while, since my sisters seems to enjoy laughing their @%$ off watching them ridicule celebraties like Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. A good example is also Donald Trump. He has his large chains of Hotels, but knowledge wise, i'm clueless about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichi
This is simply another form for status. People treat and act in accordance to who they are referring to. Status is superficial but very apparent.
Yes, sad but true.

--

You know what all of this reminds me of?
Spoiler:

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 17:23   Link #5
mistershow

I think they should stay out unless they really are fully informed of the issue. Too often you see people running their mouths off.
mistershow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 14:01   Link #6
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
its ok for celebrities to criticise but its not ok for them to take sides
Ero-Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 14:09   Link #7
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Sannin
its ok for celebrities to criticise but its not ok for them to take sides
I don't see anything wrong with them taking sides. They are a citizen of thier country and they have a right and obligation to thier country to be invole in social and polictical issues of thier country. If more people are invole in thier respective countries social and polictical issues we probably have less problems around the world. And i have more respect for celebraties who are willing to put their careers on the line for their belief then someone who plays it safe for the sake of their career.

I don't like the Dixie's chicks music but i am going to buy one of thier cds in support of the fact that they took a stand on issue important to them and put thier entire career on line by doing so.

As for Arnold, at least he put his money where his mouth which is more then a lot of other celebraties are doing.
Old 2006-05-13, 00:28   Link #8
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Like Kamui4356 said, by the simple act of voicing an opinion it may get regular citizens to think and realize that there is an issue going on.

It's most noticeable when celebrities campaign on behalf of cancer foundations or charities or enviornmental stuff, but it can also work for abortion or the Patriot Act or whatnot.

The sad truth is that most people (Americans, at least) are woefully underinformed about what's going on around them.

A local baseball player coming out in favor of Proposition B will likely lead at least some people to look into what Prop B is.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-13, 01:08   Link #9
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I STILL can't believe the Governator actually got elect. Now we can't have any more Terminator movies. Not that TermIII was any good... (grr)
Old 2006-05-13, 14:57   Link #10
x_Kotori_x
*Vice Captain Yuki*

I think it's sad that some people only vote for a certain candidate just because some celebrity they like voted for them. Stuff like that is bleh.
x_Kotori_x is offline   Reply With Quote