Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-11, 06:49   Link #2921
Vandalier
Hinamizawa Villager

Send a message via Yahoo to Vandalier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
My memory is seriously blurry, but since no one else replied, i'll try to help.

In the original..

Spoiler:
thank you very much for the reply

in the end there's not much different isn't it only how they reach the ending

really enjoy the movie and kinda surprised how different the character between the original and 2199 version,
but i can see how this anime also inspired nowdays anime
Vandalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 15:09   Link #2922
The Inner Geek

Has there been any talk of continuing the 2199 into Comet Empire or further? I'd go serious nuts for an Andromeda kit done with the Yamato 2199 1/1000 kit treatment.
The Inner Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 15:13   Link #2923
macdawson

Aside from the movie coming out in 2014, nothing else. And even that is still under wraps.
Old 2013-11-11, 17:41   Link #2924
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalier View Post
thank you very much for the reply

in the end there's not much different isn't it only how they reach the ending

really enjoy the movie and kinda surprised how different the character between the original and 2199 version,
but i can see how this anime also inspired nowdays anime
Here's what really happened, for sake of accuracy:

Spoiler for Correction on Details in the Last Episode of the 1974 Series:
Old 2013-11-12, 23:25   Link #2925
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Finally grabbed the last four episodes yesterday, and I watch them all in one sitting while I waited for my poor ship girls in Kancolle to finish their maintenance bath after a bad sortie. Amazing stuff, though episode 26 itself seems more of a denouement to the climax in 25, what with the wedding, and the arrival back at Earth.

Oh, and no one expects a subdimensional submarine. Glad that Goer finally got his just desserts, but kind of sorry to see one of the Talan brothers go down with Dessler.

Speaking of Dessler, wouldn't him getting plastered by Yamato's Type-3 ammo put a wrench in any future visitation of the Comet Empire stories?
Old 2013-11-13, 00:47   Link #2926
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Finally grabbed the last four episodes yesterday, and I watch them all in one sitting while I waited for my poor ship girls in Kancolle to finish their maintenance bath after a bad sortie. Amazing stuff, though episode 26 itself seems more of a denouement to the climax in 25, what with the wedding, and the arrival back at Earth.

Oh, and no one expects a subdimensional submarine. Glad that Goer finally got his just desserts, but kind of sorry to see one of the Talan brothers go down with Dessler.

Speaking of Dessler, wouldn't him getting plastered by Yamato's Type-3 ammo put a wrench in any future visitation of the Comet Empire stories?
Dessler didn't necessarily bite the bullet (proverbially speaking).
If you watch closely you'll see the Core ship separate from the super-dreadnaught and escape (presumably).
That opens the door for an entirely new take on the Gatlantis war/story arc, which quite frankly if they do as good a job with that as they did the first series could essentially be better than the original Arrivederci Yamato.
Old 2013-11-13, 01:46   Link #2927
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Dessler has more lives than a cat. He'll be back. Though how and what direction it takes the story is left to be seen.

One telling thing is the look exchanged between Kodai and Dessler when Kodai realizes who this is that's leaving Yamato without killing him even though Dessler could have easily had his hot bodyguards gun Kodai down. This won't be the last time they meet.
Old 2013-11-13, 06:49   Link #2928
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

zomg dat melda
Old 2013-11-13, 12:41   Link #2929
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

She was also wearing a standard issue Yamato swimsuit, but one from the Combat Division (red). As far as I could see, there are no women in the Combat Division aside from Yamamoto who is in the Fighter Wing subdivision. So where they get the red swimsuit?

They did lose several officers just before the voyage began and there were some women there. Maybe one of them?

Two things we never saw: A female Combat Division uniform and a female Engineering Division uniform (which would somehow need to be different from the Services Department uniform like Yuria was wearing)
Old 2013-11-13, 15:16   Link #2930
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Dessler didn't necessarily bite the bullet (proverbially speaking). If you watch closely you'll see the Core ship separate from the super-dreadnaught and escape (presumably).
But, it is the Core Ship which explodes, from within, in Episode 25... still an explosion of Wave Motion Energy in that subspace corridor — anything can happen, right?
Old 2013-11-13, 22:59   Link #2931
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I am currently estimating that Yamato is responsible for the destruction of around 8,000 Gamilas warships during the course of her 2199 voyage. Some of those are indirect since as destruction by the dimentional rift or the solar prominance where the destruction of Gamilas ships was not the goal or even consideration of the tactic used.

As for Dessler's ship, I was thinking it was the engines of the surrounding battleship exploding, rather than the Core Command Ship. The Core Ship appear to release form its cradle just before the explosion, though why this happens is unclear (was Talan really dead? Or did he release the ship at the last minute...or was that Dessler's doing...or standard automated emergency procedures?) The Core Ship, at this time, does not have a Dessler Cannon, but has the activation system for the weapon. The Dessler Cannon is inside the Battleship and would be powered by its Wave Motion Engines more so than the Core Ship (though it is also attached as those light up for the emergency jump).

As for everything else...time and writing will tell.
Old 2013-11-14, 01:22   Link #2932
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
"He's back, and this time he can breathe in space?!?"
Old 2013-11-14, 01:32   Link #2933
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That was a really good operation.

The modern writers are slightly more realistic, so either that won't happen, or they will have an explaination for it and the cape waving in the "wind".
Old 2013-11-14, 12:18   Link #2934
The Inner Geek

Just finished episode 26 last night. Great stuff! I really like how the overall feel still reminded me of the 'adventure' of the old series, but with updated awesomeness packed in.

I was surprised at how few times they fired the wave motion gun during the course of twenty-six episodes. Not disappointed, just surprised. I remembered it being fired more often in the old series, but it's been a LONG time since I watched it.

And in a stroke of good timing, my Cosmo Fleet Set 1 should be in the mailbox today. The Yamato by Saturday or Monday, and the rest sometime after HLJ restocks in November. I wonder if these are too small for pre-shading whilst painting? Well... too small for my skill level with an airbrush anyway, I'm sure someone can do it.
Old 2013-11-14, 12:23   Link #2935
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think the number of times the wave motion gun was used in Yamato 2199 was the same number of times it was used in the first series. Five times. Though if one was watching Star Blazers, they fired the wave motion gun every episode...in the ending credits.
Old 2013-11-15, 07:28   Link #2936
The Inner Geek

Just saw this is up for pre-order at HLJ!

Gaiberon Class Runbea

EDIT: In a bit of Irony, I just put together the non-scale bonus version of this ship which is included in the Cosmo Fleet 1 model box.

Last edited by The Inner Geek; 2013-11-15 at 07:37. Reason: added information
Old 2013-11-15, 20:21   Link #2937
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
As for Dessler's ship, I was thinking it was the engines of the surrounding battleship exploding, rather than the Core Command Ship.
Hmmmm... Now I have an excuse to watch it again.
Old 2013-11-15, 21:59   Link #2938
AdventSleeper

Just finished this series! What a joyride!

I wonder if they will continue to create stories within this universe. There are just so many unanswered questions I want to know.. like why Iscandar became what it was, and the future fate of Garmllas.
AdventSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 16:27   Link #2939
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
As for Dessler's ship, I was thinking it was the engines of the surrounding battleship exploding, rather than the Core Command Ship. The Core Ship appear to release form its cradle just before the explosion, though why this happens is unclear (was Talan really dead? Or did he release the ship at the last minute...or was that Dessler's doing...or standard automated emergency procedures?) The Core Ship, at this time, does not have a Dessler Cannon, but has the activation system for the weapon. The Dessler Cannon is inside the Battleship and would be powered by its Wave Motion Engines more so than the Core Ship (though it is also attached as those light up for the emergency jump).
Watched the episode again and the scene in question several times. Using frame-by-frame, one can see that the Coreship is not released from its cradle. The Desler Cannon system begins to explode around it, and then the Core Ship itself starts to go up — the section beneath the Command Bridge begins to buckle upwards (as the Cores Ship explodes from within), and it all disappears into a fireball.

I reveiwed this scene frame-by-frame several times to make sure that the bridge was not separating as an escape pod — so I think we can safely say that no one "escaped" this time. Now, what happens with such an explosion of WME inside the hyperspace corridor is anyone's guess. We'll just have to wait for the sequel for a definitive answer on how Desler lives through this.

Last edited by August138; 2013-11-16 at 16:46.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 17:24   Link #2940
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I don't know. From what I saw, it looked like the entire Core Ship started to lift out of its cradle before being overtaken by the explosions and the pink wave motion energy that blocks our view. After that is anyone's guess. It might be a matter of interpretation, and leaving just enough wiggle room in the visuals to justify whatever they decide to do with Dessler. If he's dead, then they have enough to show that. If he lives, they can extrapolate more of that lifting into another camera angle and how his ship blows clear, though extremely damaged (a different way to pull off what they showed us in Yamato 2 concuring his escape).

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato