Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-01-30, 22:26   Link #221
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Too much collateral damage. Los Angeles is the second largest city in the United States after New York City.
Having lived in LA for 10 years I can safely say that the collateral damage to that city would be a tragedy.

Because in the words of that child who spoke to Bush in the joke, it wouldn't be an accident and it certainly wouldn't be a great loss...
Old 2012-01-31, 00:52   Link #222
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Some states I think still allow Potato Guns, which are sort of a mortar. They usually don't allow explosives, but we have creative people around that can (and have) worked around that. There are also pneumatic guns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Smart people can make weapons out of almost anything and not just pop guns
Potatoes can generate electricity (potato battery), and can be cut into an aerodynamic shape. And you can have the main components of plastic explosives from wax and bleach.

Now who says potatoes aren't dangerous?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 00:58   Link #223
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Which is why they are outlawed in some states. The potato guns...not the potato itself.
Old 2012-01-31, 04:24   Link #224
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Which is why they are outlawed in some states. The potato guns...not the potato itself.
Hmmmm, potato grower.... Ah bet yur a terrrrurist. You have fertilizer in your garage, too!! And Gasoline!

I've made several potato guns over the years. The best one I made would fire a potato 500 feet straight up in just about two seconds (we used it in a science program to teach the younglings how to compute velocity and triangulate altitude). PVC, plumber's glue, hairspray, and a camp light igniter switch.
Old 2012-01-31, 07:22   Link #225
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

If potatoes are outlawed Xellos would be crying. He always wanted to own a potato farm.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 07:23   Link #226
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Potatoes can generate electricity (potato battery), and can be cut into an aerodynamic shape. And you can have the main components of plastic explosives from wax and bleach.

Now who says potatoes aren't dangerous?
Potato...rail-gun?
Old 2012-01-31, 12:45   Link #227
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'm sticking to bottle rockets.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 13:25   Link #228
Zakoo

I just thought about it, but a website like fanfiction have top stop functionning with such a law no? Since people there are using universe, characters of others.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 14:38   Link #229
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
I just thought about it, but a website like fanfiction have top stop functionning with such a law no? Since people there are using universe, characters of others.
You're exactly right - such a site could be silenced.

Most of you are probably too young to remember that when Star Trek revived as major franchise, the owning studios did just that. They started up their own website for Star Trek and then proceeded to legally squash fansites, use of imagery, use of characters, even *reviewing* Star Trek was attacked. It was, of course a public relations disaster but the damage was done. And that was just using the available laws in the 90s (pre-DMCA). Since then, the MPAA/RIAA/etc has been successfully moving the laws from civil matters to criminalizing... essentially thought crime. Now instead of just grabbing your wallet, they want to put you in jail for repeating ideas they "own".
Old 2012-02-01, 15:09   Link #230
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You're exactly right - such a site could be silenced.

Most of you are probably too young to remember that when Star Trek revived as major franchise, the owning studios did just that. They started up their own website for Star Trek and then proceeded to legally squash fansites, use of imagery, use of characters, even *reviewing* Star Trek was attacked. It was, of course a public relations disaster but the damage was done. And that was just using the available laws in the 90s (pre-DMCA). Since then, the MPAA/RIAA/etc has been successfully moving the laws from civil matters to criminalizing... essentially thought crime. Now instead of just grabbing your wallet, they want to put you in jail for repeating ideas they "own".
Didn't they eventually use some of those ideas for their official stories, or am I thinking of something else now?
Old 2012-02-01, 16:37   Link #231
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sme of the fan writer and such actually worked for them eventually so somethings got in that way. Also a few fans became actors, which also presented itself with input.

Now there are lots, and lots of fansites and fan works. About the only product line I would have rather have survived was FASA's Star Trek Roleplaying Game and associated fictions.
Old 2012-02-02, 04:59   Link #232
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

After Megaupload, now its Pirate Bay:

http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/201...ght-to-appeal/
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 05:22   Link #233
HasuMasu
*Artist

Oh come on, will they all die out? I certainly hope not.
Old 2012-02-02, 06:19   Link #234
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Oh come on, will they all die out? I certainly hope not.
Spoiler for Filipino News:

Tsk tsk. Are we finally in the end because of goddamn Hollywood?
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 06:36   Link #235
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ No way, and i thought we were too skwater for that stuff.

We must preserve our skwater-ness along with all our pirated merchandise.
Old 2012-02-02, 06:54   Link #236
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Here we have a nice example of the negative impact of IP legislation:
sankakucomplex: miku-youtube-videos-deleted-en-masse

My personal speculation is, that this is some western internet community trying to make a point. Somthing like SA-boards would be a primal suspect.
But if you got legislation already in place that enables random internet trolls to wreck major havoc on our culture without any fear of repercussion and the IP-lobby is still pushing for even more extreme measures, you know something is really wrong.
And keep in mind that the only reason Youtube is actually getting away with only doing that much, is because it's backed by Google's massive stash of money.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 07:17   Link #237
HasuMasu
*Artist

Miku? Alright, it's time to channel my inner Kamijou Touma!!

Spoiler for SAVE MIKU:
Old 2012-02-02, 08:20   Link #238
Zakoo

We will let you punch them.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 14:39   Link #239
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Basically.... we're in a situation where if I take a picture of my Rock Band characters playing (or a video) and post it, I can be charged with a crime for using "intellectual property" I don't own -- even though I created my own characters and bought the tune they are playing.

Almost all of our avatars and sigs... are crimes. Technically, if I stand in front of a corporate icon, take my picture with it and post it on Facebook - I'm violating IP.

Note I'm not saying they'll actually prosecute *all* infractions - just that they'll create an atmosphere of oppression and uncertainty so you (and all the artist/creators) are paralyzed without their monetized "help".

The Miku incident on youtube illustrates the quicksand we're headed into (whether or not the take-downs were frivolous).
Old 2012-02-02, 15:38   Link #240
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

If piratebay goes down, it's also likely nyaa goes down with it some time in the future, they're both located in Sweden. Could this be the beginning of the end for the age of fansubbing?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blacklist, coica, government, internet, petition