Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-05-08, 19:08   Link #1
Ragh of Doom
Raistlin Majere

Send a message via AIM to Ragh of Doom Send a message via MSN to Ragh of Doom
Geeky DnD and Dragonlance

Greetings!
I've been searching for someone on the board to share a geeky DND conversation with! This thread is for the discussion of Dungeons & Dragons/Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms/Warhammer/etc...
Aside from that, what do you guys and girls think of creating a whole section devoted to literature/books?

$5 to anyone who finds the origin of my name.
Ragh of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 19:11   Link #2
wnkryo
HainShodan

I never really was into "DnD", but got a question though: is dungeon siege similar to it?

*Pat on the back to who ever figures out where this thread belongs*
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 19:13   Link #3
Ragh of Doom
Raistlin Majere

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
I never really was into "DnD", but got a question though: is dungeon siege similar to it?

*Pat on the back to who ever figures out where this thread belongs*
Yeah, I was hesistant to place this thread under "general".. but I couldn't fit it in anywhere else. But yes, Dungeon siege is comparable to DnD. It's not based on any kind of DnD format, but you get the picture... If you want a more accurate representation of DND, check out Baldurs Gate or Neverwinter Nights
Old 2004-05-08, 19:15   Link #4
babbito2k
annoying white bat

This could just go into the games forum, or the thread could just be closed and RoD could just be directed to the games forum to discuss one game per thread in existing threads or new ones.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 19:21   Link #5
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
This could just go into the games forum, or the thread could just be closed and RoD could just be directed to the games forum to discuss one game per thread in existing threads or new ones.
Stay on topic >.>

I did play warhammer once before and that was pretty cool. Specially since it was like one of the first genres of it's kind on the Playstation. One thing I didn't like about it though, was the price of it when it came out--That's why I opted for the bootleged version of it
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 19:25   Link #6
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragh of Doom
Yeah, I was hesistant to place this thread under "general".. but I couldn't fit it in anywhere else. But yes, Dungeon siege is comparable to DnD. It's not based on any kind of DnD format, but you get the picture... If you want a more accurate representation of DND, check out Baldurs Gate or Neverwinter Nights
Ummm...I could be wrong about this, but isn't Dungeon Siege a hack&slash type of "rpg"? I mean, you can level up all of that, but I don't think it's comparable to DnD though. Neverwinter Nights is a much better comparison (since it's based on DnD.)

I play the occasional (read: once a year or so) DnD game with some friends. They end up explaining everything to me everytime but that's just because they drag me there.
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 20:11   Link #7
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Sorry man, I use to play SR.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 20:26   Link #8
Lunchboxx

Send a message via AIM to Lunchboxx Send a message via MSN to Lunchboxx Send a message via Yahoo to Lunchboxx
me and my friends play DnD alot and we love it...currently we are in the middle of a long quest and im a Hafling sorcerer with a bad attitude

I also love the DnD like books, ive pretty much read all the dragonlance books that are written by the original writers and I just started readign forgotten realms and im on ice windall Vol. 3.
Lunchboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 20:30   Link #9
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
Quote:
Greetings!
I've been searching for someone on the board to share a geeky DND conversation with!
What about a non-geeky DnD conversation?

SCC
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 23:19   Link #10
Ragh of Doom
Raistlin Majere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdCrazy
What about a non-geeky DnD conversation?

SCC
Is that possible?

--

Necrodeath: Yes, you are right. I meant along the lines of an RPG format, roleplaying in general. And they "drag you there" ? lol

Lunchboxx: Yes, Weis and Hickman are great authors, I just reread the Legends for the second time. I can't wait to read the Dark Disciple. Yeah, there are other good authors as well. Check out www.dragonlance.com
Old 2004-05-08, 23:47   Link #11
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Yeah I used to play a little DnD. Not too much though.

And I read a bunch of the Dragonlance Books:

Chronicles Trilogy
Legends Triloigy (the twins)
The heroes series (Huma, Kaz the Minotaur and all those)
Kindred Spirits
Dragons of Summer Flame
Soulforge
And I read the first one that took place in the world after Summer Flame. Can't remember the name. After Dragons of Summer Flame though. I kinda lost interest.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 00:17   Link #12
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Elminster The Making of a Mage is my fav DnD Book. Kudo's to Ed Greenwood! I've played and read alot of the books. I love DnD but everyone quit playing here. I love a good DM that can really mess with your head and create an awesome quest!
LoveOfAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 07:28   Link #13
Necrodeath

Quote:
Necrodeath: ...And they "drag you there" ? lol
Yeah well...
Whenever they go and have a DnD game thingy, they end up asking me if I would come and join them, and most of the time, I have nothing to do so I will come, even though it's kinda boring for me.
This time it'll be different though!
This time I'll actually have something to do!
Ah yes...the wonders of the girlfriend
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 14:39   Link #14
Imazul

I play DnD, Vampire the Masquerade, Shadowrun and some BESM with my friends.

I read alot of Dragonlance (My friends has the whole collection!!!!! Way too much books to buy it in my opinion) and I like it alot.
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 14:54   Link #15
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Finally, someone mentions D&D.
I play 3.5E D&D w/ a group of friends. I currently DM a campaign in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.
I've read most of the Forgotten Realms books [including all of RA Salvatore].
We have two campaigns running, normally. My friend is running one in a setting of his own.

I always get bored of what I play really fast. Anyone have any suggestions for a fun class to play? I am thinking elven wizard or a Jarlaxle-type rogue...
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 15:55   Link #16
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Oh I've read most (all?) of Weis' and Hickman's Dragonlance books and some more. I've also read some Forgotten Realms (the Icewind Dale trilogy, the Dark Elf trilogy and some other books).

I like Dragonlance more than Forgotten Realms because the story is more epic and Forgotten Realms is somehow so incredibly cliché. Drizz't is just too skilled to be the main character. He pretty much just proceeds to quickly kill every bad guy that crosses his path.

I've also played a couple games of Warhammer. Lack of opponents, interest in painting the models and money ended that hobby, however.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 16:12   Link #17
Lunchboxx

Send a message via AIM to Lunchboxx Send a message via MSN to Lunchboxx Send a message via Yahoo to Lunchboxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
Oh I've read most (all?) of Weis' and Hickman's Dragonlance books and some more. I've also read some Forgotten Realms (the Icewind Dale trilogy, the Dark Elf trilogy and some other books).

I like Dragonlance more than Forgotten Realms because the story is more epic and Forgotten Realms is somehow so incredibly cliché. Drizz't is just too skilled to be the main character. He pretty much just proceeds to quickly kill every bad guy that crosses his path.

I've also played a couple games of Warhammer. Lack of opponents, interest in painting the models and money ended that hobby, however.
I do agree on dragonlance havigng a better story becuase its epic....but I think Drzz't makes a good character....he may be very skilled but I like his characters emotions and how he keeps on fighting the good fight even though everyone around(for the most part) gives him no credit and usually hate/fear him.
Lunchboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-09, 22:19   Link #18
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Dark Elves are kewl!!!

http://elfonlyinn.keenspace.com/d/20040322.html
Don Eunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-10, 21:54   Link #19
Honkie_McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade xTekno
Finally, someone mentions D&D.
I play 3.5E D&D w/ a group of friends. I currently DM a campaign in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.
I've read most of the Forgotten Realms books [including all of RA Salvatore].
We have two campaigns running, normally. My friend is running one in a setting of his own.

I always get bored of what I play really fast. Anyone have any suggestions for a fun class to play? I am thinking elven wizard or a Jarlaxle-type rogue...
I actually do play a high level elven wizard in an ongoing 3.5e-ish campaign with some friends. (It started 3e, and we've been slowly transitioning to 3.5e.) You're probably the most powerful character in the group, but you have the lowest HP (go figure...) I also DM a game of Munchkin D20, w/ some steampunk and black powder guns thrown in for good measure. Many shenanigans ensue. For D&D players looking for a good laugh, I do recommend the Munchkin books. I laugh out loud almost every time I open mine. Here's what the Munchkin PHB says about wizards (can you tell I like wizards)
Quote:
At last, the nerds get there revenge. The introverted, bookish stereotype of gamers ties very neatly into the introverted, bookish stereotype of wizards, which probably explains their popularity. Or perhaps it's the innate desire of every person to be able to immolate a particularly annoying neighbor (especially a bard) without getting caught. Regardless, for sheer visceral joy, there's nothing that beats a well-crafted spell going off and obliterating your foes. Warriors deal death in person; wizards sell it wholesale, with a discount if you also buy the "writhing in flames" package.
PS: Sorry, I don't know who, or what, a Jarlaxle is...
Honkie_McGee is offline   Reply With Quote