AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-01-19, 13:36   Link #18541
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Something about this one... Seems... Familiar...
Old 2009-01-19, 13:46   Link #18542
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post

Something about this one... Seems... Familiar...
Pangya craze?
Old 2009-01-19, 14:47   Link #18543
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD View Post
[/URL]
Oh snap. Master Spark VS Starlight Breaker. WHO IS THE BEAMSPAM QUEEN? Marisa, of course.
Old 2009-01-19, 23:38   Link #18544
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Rider!Lutecia?!

Mei-chan as Nanoha?!

Kotomi cosplaying as Fate?!

CAN THERE BE ANY MORE WIN IN THIS WORLD?!?!??!?!?!?!?!
Old 2009-01-20, 00:40   Link #18545
mamott99
The Burning Toilet

Send a message via AIM to mamott99 Send a message via MSN to mamott99 Send a message via Yahoo to mamott99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Rider!Lutecia?!

Mei-chan as Nanoha?!

Kotomi cosplaying as Fate?!

CAN THERE BE ANY MORE WIN IN THIS WORLD?!?!??!?!?!?!?!
All we need now is Nagisa cosplaying as Teana and---

*is shot*

Because on a scale of 1-10, "I'm lactose intolerant and I decided to set my toilet on fire. I downed a quart of 91% rubbing alcohol. It destroyed the porcelain in my bowl and I'm down a toilet. What should I do?" is a 3.141159265...
mamott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 00:51   Link #18546
Aaron008R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamott99 View Post

*is shot*
And then Tomoya as Vice---

*is shot too*

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 00:56   Link #18547
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
Oh snap. Master Spark VS Starlight Breaker. WHO IS THE BEAMSPAM QUEEN? Marisa, of course.
I bet with all the donation from Moriya and Hakurei Shrine on Marisa :P
PhoenixG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 02:49   Link #18548
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixG View Post
I bet with all the donation from Moriya and Hakurei Shrine on Marisa :P
The Hakurei Shrine doesn't have any - *is set on fire*
Old 2009-01-20, 02:54   Link #18549
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD View Post
I don't know what's special with this pic, I only see a low quality image

Quote:
Needles to say... but this one goes right to my folder
Old 2009-01-20, 03:13   Link #18550
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
I don't know what's special with this pic, I only see a low quality image
And by low quality you mean...what?
It's hosted on Photobucket which automatically reduces the resolution of images to be 800x600 or less to keep the brandwidth down.

Now if you mean the 'drawing quality,' I'm going to have disagree with you there. The colors of their attacks have a nice blending to it and the parts that overlap between the colliding beams is nice. Look closer and you can see quite a bit of detail was put into their outfits: all the triangle-pieces on Nanoha's Barrier Jacket, the ruffels and wrinkles on Marisa (?)'s apron and dress. Not to mention the clothing is drawn in a way to depict movement from the rush of opposing air from the attacks rather than being in a static arrangement. Body proportions also look to be pretty good. Nope, I see a well drawn image here
Evangelion Xgouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 03:15   Link #18551
Bloody

Hate to say it but as much as I love the Clannad I don't think someone would want to draw Tomoya as Vice

Tomoya X Nagisa > SubaTea >>>>>>>>> ViceTea

Tomoya has has same resemblance to the similar of Subaru's hair lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Oh my, thank you!~

Any chance you could do the same for that Nanoha and Fate dakimakura released back in C74?

Spoiler for This one:
to be honest I didn't do it, sorry
Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 03:20   Link #18552
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Here's to hoping the Clannad Shipwar doesn't rear its head in here.
Old 2009-01-20, 03:36   Link #18553
Soljashy
The Salary Man
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Soljashy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
And by low quality you mean...what?

Now if you mean the 'drawing quality,' I'm going to have disagree with you there. The colors of their attacks have a nice blending to it and the parts that overlap between the colliding beams is nice. Look closer and you can see quite a bit of detail was put into their outfits: all the triangle-pieces on Nanoha's Barrier Jacket, the ruffels and wrinkles on Marisa (?)'s apron and dress. Not to mention the clothing is drawn in a way to depict movement from the rush of opposing air from the attacks rather than being in a static arrangement. Body proportions also look to be pretty good. Nope, I see a well drawn image here
Not to be mean here, but I can see where Evil Rick is coming from. It looks to me like something drawn by a ten-year-old. Maybe it's because Nanoha's face looks flat. Maybe it's Marisa's short and rigid arms. Perhaps it's the poor colouring job (Marisa's clothes and hair have white spots all over, not to mention Nanoha's transparent ribbon). Or the background which looks like someone just random movements with an airbrush...
This user has been diagnosed with a very rare and dangerous mutation of type Al of the pandemic Kugimiya disease (Retroviridae Kooguencephalitisvirus Kugimijavirus). The source of his infection has been identified as a Kamyu bite. Please be sensitive to him.
Soljashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 03:43   Link #18554
Bloody

just saying

We already know there's no meaning for us for making fanart of Vice as Tomoya.

*shut his mouth

Last edited by Bloody; 2009-01-20 at 04:16. Reason: for -> of
Old 2009-01-20, 04:16   Link #18555
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
Here's to hoping the Clannad Shipwar doesn't rear its head in here.
Cheers, old fruit.

*Offers Tempest a glass of Belka Red*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody View Post
just saying

We already know there's no meaning for us for making fanart of Vice as Tomoya.

*shut his mouth
Exactly...because it's really true!

*Hides in a hole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soljashy View Post
Not to be mean here, but I can see where Evil Rick is coming from. It looks to me like something drawn by a ten-year-old. Maybe it's because Nanoha's face looks flat. Maybe it's Marisa's short and rigid arms. Perhaps it's the poor colouring job (Marisa's clothes and hair have white spots all over, not to mention Nanoha's transparent ribbon). Or the background which looks like someone just random movements with an airbrush...
Quite a furore we have here. Mind if I rear my ugly little head here too?

Right, before the first thing.

@Evil Rick: Well, it is special because it's a Nanoha/Touhou crossover pic, and a Master Spark VS Starlight Breaker pic at that. Brilliant for us Touhou freaks, so it's just us - if you ain't know nothin' 'bout Touhou, it ain't none of yer beeswax, 'kay?

And anyway, when looking at a piece of art, as an artist one should be considering what one can take away from it and critque it in a way that's actually useful, rather than merely 1) fangirl/boy/whatevering over it, or 2) disparaging it. That's just unsavoury, even if you were as good as Michelangelo, which I doubt anyone here would boast to be. Even the masters used reference pictures.

Alright, now, the main meat of the post:

...Well, my friend, it is clearly an amateur drawing...

Firstly, we don't really have that much data on what the Touhou girls look like, only the work of skilled, experienced artists who are way hell out of the league of a lot of people. For all you heck know, the appearance could straddle the distance between a loli and a shoujo on any given place in the spectrum. In that sense, I don't really see too much problem with her arms being short.

Secondly, I don't see how "something drawn by a ten-year-old" isn't already a demeaning statement. Lots of people live down seven times that number of years without being able to reproduce anything of that standard; so, then, may I kindly ask, what are they if this person is the artistic equivalent of a 'ten year old'? I think that in posting comments for pictures, one should post as if the artist were present, and in this case, I believe a "needs a little more practice" followed by a list of credits and cons would've been more appropriate rather than a quip, no matter how innocently intended.

Lastly, I do see some place for credit on this picture that more than likely outweighs the obvious structural errors. In truth, I don't think a ribbon here and something there is the most important thing in art, especially of this sort. The basic main skills required by a fanart are, by and large, are actually there, albeit in a form that needs quite a bit more practice (If you're out there dude, I'm talkin' to ya - keep practicing! ): Sure, the digital whatnot is more than a little faulty, I'll grant you that, but otherwise it's a fair imitation, amateur though it is, spoiled only (and only, I emphasize) by the fact that the artist took the trouble to color it as well.

As I would say, there's fanart, and then there's fanart.
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 04:44   Link #18556
Bloody

apparently I'm favor in Subaru as Tomoya, that would be hilarious

Speaking of Touhou I hope to see a fanart of Teana as Hakurei Reimu,they havesame VA

EDIT:
Nanohas VA has a role in Touhou too in Anime, right?
Old 2009-01-20, 04:46   Link #18557
Soljashy
The Salary Man
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Soljashy
All right, then, I believe this artist requires a fair degree of additional practice. Did that sound better?

Granted, the "ten year old" statement was a little harsh, and probably a by-product of my disbelief at the fiery defence for an inferior image (especially one posted in a thread with so many high quality images). Still, the fact that it illustrates a crossover does not magically raise its artistic quality, nor would I argue that Touhou characters having vaguely defined designs make poor proportions any more pleasing to the eye.

Since it is an amateur drawing, of course its low quality can be excused, and for what it's worth, I do think the detailed outfits look pretty authentic and I'm sure the artist will improve much with more experience. But I think you're giving him too much credit by saying the colouring job is the only part that subtracts from his work. Seriously, Nanoha's face needs a lot of work.
This user has been diagnosed with a very rare and dangerous mutation of type Al of the pandemic Kugimiya disease (Retroviridae Kooguencephalitisvirus Kugimijavirus). The source of his infection has been identified as a Kamyu bite. Please be sensitive to him.
Soljashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 05:02   Link #18558
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soljashy View Post
All right, then, I believe this artist requires a fair degree of additional practice. Did that sound better?

Granted, the "ten year old" statement was a little harsh, and probably a by-product of my disbelief at the fiery defence for an inferior image (especially one posted in a thread with so many high quality images). Still, the fact that it illustrates a crossover does not magically raise its artistic quality, nor would I argue that Touhou characters having vaguely defined designs make poor proportions any more pleasing to the eye.

Since it is an amateur drawing, of course its low quality can be excused, and for what it's worth, I do think the detailed outfits look pretty authentic and I'm sure the artist will improve much with more experience. But I think you're giving him too much credit by saying the colouring job is the only part that subtracts from his work. Seriously, Nanoha's face needs a lot of work.
Yes, it does sound marginally better now. I would argue, of course, that LQ isn't really an anomaly around here, though that's irrelevant to our discussion.

I'm sorry if I made it sound like I thought that vague definitions = it's okay to draw proportion funny. I was probably thinking too much on the lines of "well, it's an amateur piece", so I suppose I dropped my...(if I may be so bold as to use the term) standards unconsciously back there. Funny how we both said rather silly things under the influence of some reactionary backlash thought-process, mmm?

Anyway, I don't remember saying being a crossover raised its artistic quality; I just said it's rare, and therefore has explanatory power in rationalizing why some Touhou-infested denizens of ASNanoha raised a REDTEXT spam over it. (As a matter of fact, I believe this is exactly the phenomenon that sparked Rick's response, and thereby this whole sidetrack in the first place.)

Um hum...on second glance, the lower half of her face is indeed kinda messed. And their expressions aren't intense enough. And the skirts are flying the wrong way. And- Alright, thanks for the reminder, Sol; I really am becoming a little too rusty in my art critiques. I need to get back to my drawing table, and fast...and then maybe I'll come back here with my pictures and you can rain fire on me when it happens!

*checks my post again*

Crap, I deleted the line that said "(But you can tell from the faces as to whose fan the person is)". It was my funny line too!
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 05:12   Link #18559
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
On Touhou + Nanoha

Spoiler for Nice knowing you, Fate:

Unrequited loves anyone?

The two blondes have a lot more in common than you can think of.

Last edited by Sheba; 2009-01-20 at 05:24.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 06:05   Link #18560
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamott99 View Post

*is shot*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
And then Tomoya as Vice---