031 - 040: Bad... 0 0%
021 - 030: Very Bad... 1 3.33%
011 - 020: Awful... 0 0%
000 - 010: Licking wall outlets would be a better use of your time... 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-08-05, 02:03   Link #1
james0246

[Anime-only] Shippuden Episode 172 Discussion

Welcome to this week's episode discussion thread posted before it airs in Japan (which is Thursday at 07:29 PM).
  • Naruto Forum RULES...
    • DO NOT ASK where to download RAWs or Fansubs... and DO NOT MENTION fansub group names...
      For further information please visit the Naruto Licensed! Ask for it = Ban thread
  • Thread Guidelines...
    • Absolutely no manga spoilers in any anime-only threads such as the weekly Episode Discussion threads. That means, no hints, or vague remarks about a future event from the manga, even within the spoiler tags. Inability to observe this rule will result in a BAN!
    • Discuss your expectations of this episode if it hasn't aired yet.
    • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    • Try to keep the discussion on topic.

Everyone is encouraged to use the report post button if these rules are broken. The button is located in the left hand corner, at the bottom of every user name. It will notify a moderator who will deal with such post according to the rules.

This Week's episode:
Meeting - 出逢い ~ Deai.

Description:
Quote:
Nagato waits for Naruto to answer his question and Nagato recalls his two moments of pain, the first when his parents were killed by Leaf Ninja and when Nagato's Rinnegan Eye was activated, killing the two ninja. He then tells Naruto about how he met Konan and Yahiko, all three of them having to resort to thievery to stay alive. After seeing Hanzo the Salamander battle the Three Sannin, they set out to find the three ninja so that they can be taught ninjutsu.
Credits –
Animation Supervisor: Yukari Kobayashi (161, 154, 145)
Storyboard: Shigeharu Takahashi (161, 154, 145)
Episode Director: Shigeharu Takahashi (161, 154, 145)
Screenplay: Shin Yoshida (169, 165, 164)

Title for Next Episode:
The Birth of Pain - ペイン誕生 ~ Pein tanjō.

Last edited by james0246; 2010-08-12 at 01:11.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 08:46   Link #2
DarkHollowIchigo

I wonder , is this episode still about Naruto in his early youth , or will the story of pain start..
Old 2010-08-05, 09:03   Link #3
Ashaman

Story of Pain.

Good episode - expanded certain scenes including search for a ninja sensei.

Only problem I had with the content is that they gave food back - makes it seem as though they were back tracking and admitting they did wrong - they did, but it was neccessary and knew from the beginning. It seems sort of strange to do so.

Execution was good over all.
Old 2010-08-05, 10:38   Link #4
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Okay... watched it. Very good episode. This is the kind of stories that sets apart Naruto from other shounen series. The atrocity of the great nation continues. The road to the "strongest" for any nation is never rosy. Imperialistic mindset along with the willingness to administer ample dosage of ruthlessness and brutality is a must to climb to the top.

Like the above poster said, the only complain I have was how the episode tried to draw those rosy moments like giving the food back or the lack of sound effect when Konoha ninja was driving the kunai through Nagato's mother. The episode reserved more inhibition toward showing the whole picture, but I guess that's why I was able to see it for what it was. Konoha should have been destroyed few hundred times to atone for their sin. At the same time, it did produce people like Jiraiya whose influence is ever present and his philosophical viewpoints have been inherited by people like Yondaime, Naruto, and even Nagato to a certain extent.

It's a real tough question Nagato is asking. Is there really a straight forward answer for this, especially considering the answer is seeking to solve the cycle of hatred in an instant sweep?

I enjoyed the episode a lot. Almost screamed "noooooooo" when this terrible ending song came about out of no where. Really looking forward to the next.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 14:09   Link #5
Arjento

You guys thinking too much into it.

Yada yada mum and dad died yada yada i am emo.

These type of episodes are pointless.

Go ahead and Kill Nagato already Naruto.
Arjento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 15:08   Link #6
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Good episode, can't wait for more! Nagato's flashbacks is something I don't mind, much better than Sasuke's who we constantly get bombarded with.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 17:04   Link #7
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Only problem I had with the content is that they gave food back - makes it seem as though they were back tracking and admitting they did wrong - they did, but it was neccessary and knew from the beginning. It seems sort of strange to do so.
It's not strange at all.

Giving back the food doesn't mean they won't do it again. They knew they had to do it to survive in the first place, but they also knew that they're not the only ones suffering. And since they can't take those perishable food with them, they figured that it's better to have someone else have it rather than let it be wasted.

This drives the point that the only reason these kids did what they did is because of the situation they were in. If they didn't become orphans due to the war, they wouldn't have been thieves. This makes it even more unfortunate that the war did happen in their country, forcing good kids to become thieves, and sometimes worse.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 22:57   Link #8
Lumir

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
It's not strange at all.

Giving back the food doesn't mean they won't do it again. They knew they had to do it to survive in the first place, but they also knew that they're not the only ones suffering. And since they can't take those perishable food with them, they figured that it's better to have someone else have it rather than let it be wasted.

This drives the point that the only reason these kids did what they did is because of the situation they were in. If they didn't become orphans due to the war, they wouldn't have been thieves. This makes it even more unfortunate that the war did happen in their country, forcing good kids to become thieves, and sometimes worse.
QFT. These kids did not become ruthless bandits and thieves. They retained their sense of what is right and wrong and acted upon it in this situation.

Overall a great episode, especially the second half. I was really into the story and when the ending song started I got that familiar "nooooooo" feeling. Like one of the posters before me stated, "this is what makes naruto stand out among other anime."
Old 2010-08-05, 23:16   Link #9
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjento View Post
You guys thinking too much into it.

Yada yada mum and dad died yada yada i am emo.
You forgot the dog...

Quote:
So character definition, even if cliche within the Narutoverse, is pointless?
Old 2010-08-05, 23:28   Link #10
iBeast

Good episode...the quicker this arc end, the quicker the fun starts.
iBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 23:56   Link #11
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Good episode, but the real story of pain is next episode .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 04:23   Link #12
Kallen4life

Noooooooo they killed his dog
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 07:00   Link #13
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
Noooooooo they killed his dog
Nevermind the dog!! They gave away that sweet-looking bread! How could they !
Old 2010-08-06, 13:00   Link #14
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
You know, if you don't like character development, you can always watch Bleach...

I really enjoyed the episode, since it offers a backstory to Nagato and Co.'s life, which serves as an even darker (thus far) contrast to Naruto's life...Sure, Naruto may have had the Nine-Tails shoved inside of him and was shunned by society for it, but even the worst amount of bullying doesn't compare to the hardships of being caught up in a war, though nothing is justification for needless hate...A good setup for Naruto to, in his best Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonation, tell Nagato to "Stop whining!" and deliver a philosophical smack-down, however that's going to play out...

But most importantly in terms of contrast, Naruto may lose Sasuke to a world of hatred, but nothing compares to Nagato losing Chibi to the ninja world...Come on, Sasuke's not not going to follow Naruto around with a set of cute puppy dog eyes and a whimpering face while licking him...Well, maybe in fanfic he does, but that's disgusting, and not cute at all...

Ohh, but I don't want to go to bed! Tell me the rest of the story now!
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 23:01   Link #15
Alchemist007
*Author

That was a...long episode. But it wasn't too bad.
Old 2010-08-07, 05:44   Link #16
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Why couldn't they make this one a two-fer instead?
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 13:04   Link #17
secretzfan
*Fansubber

This was a good episode, but it ended to fast. Now I can't wait for next week
Old 2010-08-07, 14:08   Link #18
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Ten points for Chibi, twenty for Nagato's parents, and forty for the nameless victims...plus one point for little Konan, much better than her fanatic counterpart 71/100
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 15:06   Link #19
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Damn, Chibi took the brunt of that explosion didn't he? They didn't even give him the honor of being mangled from the blast...It's almost as if he died purely from shock...His mouth open craving a zombified scoobie snack...Hmm, perhaps Kakashi resurrected him in some ofscreen dawg summoning thing...Chibi would have been an awesome Pain clone or Akatsuki mascot...Dammit...

Oh, I guess some other stuff happened too...Like the Konoha stupidly killing civilians with terrible un-ninja-like choreography of this event...This was like the slowest accident murder I ever seen...Then Pain's uber "I'm Special?" moment--Instead of vaporizing or shonen-coolin' those Leaf-ninjas, his power seems to be just a sleeping mist...

We've seen this all before...Sympathy for the devil, over and over and over again...I don't care, if Naruto doesn't own this fool after all this, I call fail on this arc...Yeah, I get it...Yahiko is REALLY "Pain", but you absolutely murder almost an entire country because of the actions of 2 jackholes? I just don't care about Pain's sympathy....And let's be honest, the kid is freak with very simpleton thinking (Some will disagree with this but if you look deeper you'll see how elementary Pain's entire logic on life is--The dude never even becomes his own man, just a necrophiliac version of the dude he looked up to)...Where's that awesome dude who we could barley make-out, standing on the evil index finger during Akatsuki meetings? Oh yeah, he never existed...

Finish this dude next week please, and toss Chibi a chakra rod bone...

Also, this will be my final viewing of Naruto for a while...I probably haven't missed an episode for about 5 years or something....It's time to move on a little bit and miss anime for a little while...I've really enjoyed the ups and hated all the downs, but at some point I'll be back, just don't accidentally murder my slow-moving parents...

*Jumps in the air*

"Rasengan!!!"
^^

P.S. Tobi tells better stories :/
Old 2010-08-07, 15:24   Link #20
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Finish this dude next week please...
Still at least 3 more episodes before this arc ends...

Tags
weekly episode discussion