AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-11, 17:08   Link #3121
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
Are you seriously implying that illegal drugs travel up to the USA border and then somehow teleport into the USA potheads hands?
I'm implying I'm European, and that the US' policy on drugs doesn't matter to us one way or the other. We neither sell drugs to nor buy from them.

I thought it was pretty clear I'm also a foreigner to the US, at least.

Quote:
Sorry, your statement makes no sense.
Again, the US immigration policy doesn't matter to our own immigration.

Quote:
You shouldn't, I was merely answering an irrelevant comment with another (so the USA has farm subsidies, Mexico also has farm subsidies, what is that relevant to the current discussion I have no idea).
You're the one who brought up farm subsidies like I was supposed to care.

Quote:
Reread my post, I am not talking about foreign USA policy, I clearly state that interior USA policy affects the world whether we like it or not.
And I'm disagreeing. At least, I'm disagreeing with the stance that Romney and Obama are different enough for their domestic policy differences to matter to us foreigners.

Quote:
Once in a while? O_o Every single day the USA makes a mark in the world economy, if somehow the whole country disappeared the effects would be felt immediately around the world..
But my point is, the US isn't going to disappear under either. If the USA's disappearance is all we have to worry about, then we don't have to care about the election, do we? Look at the sky and worry about UFOs instead.

Quote:
There are plenty of people outside the USA who do not care who is elected potus, but that does not change the fact that it will affect their lives (or better or worst) the next four years.
Foreign policy will. Domestic policy, for the most part, won't.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2012-11-11 at 17:24.
Old 2012-11-11, 17:15   Link #3122
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just a reminder, the is the WORLD wide web, not the "Merrica" web.

Don't assume the poster is from your neighborhood.
Old 2012-11-11, 18:28   Link #3123
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Sorry to say it Ann-Minh but you are not famous (or I have not read this forum enough, take your pick) so I have no direct way of knowing your nationality. I think the way you tried to implying you weren't from the USA was too vague, from what I read in this thread I thought it was clearly implied you were from the USA. That is why I clearly state my location, even though I know some people might look at my comments differently due to prejudice.

I still stand for what I said, whoever is the next potus affects mankind for the next four years and therefore is of interest to the average person (for the same reasons there is a growing worldwide interest in who is going to be the next president of china) unlike other world leaders who most of the world do not care about (i.e. the EU president? I have no idea) since it affects little every bodies daily lives.

But TBT it is a hassle to rewrite my prior posts to acknowledge that I now know you are not from the USA.
Old 2012-11-11, 19:52   Link #3124
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Sorry to say it Ann-Minh but you are not famous (or I have not read this forum enough, take your pick) so I have no direct way of knowing your nationality. I think the way you tried to implying you weren't from the USA was too vague, from what I read in this thread I thought it was clearly implied you were from the USA.
The original statement you replied to

Quote:
our interest for their domestic policies is mostly academic. The Americans are the ones who have to live with them.
It's fine if you misunderstood, it happens, but everything in this statement implies Ann-Minh is not from the state, if he were from the states he'd have said "Their interest for our domestic policies is mostly academic.We're the ones who have to live with them"
Old 2012-11-11, 20:12   Link #3125
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Just a reminder, the is the WORLD wide web, not the "Merrica" web. Don't assume the poster is from your neighborhood.
Heh, we shouldn't assume anything at all about any forum member beyond what he or she writes. For all you know, I could be a 200-pound blob of flesh typing all of this in my underwear while also scratching my humongous butt.

But, hey, at least I do also have a passing interest in American politics. Excuse me while I pass some wind as well.
Old 2012-11-11, 20:16   Link #3126
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Sorry to say it Ann-Minh but you are not famous (or I have not read this forum enough, take your pick)
you don't spend enough time in this section.
Old 2012-11-11, 20:19   Link #3127
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyredleaf View Post
for all you know, i could be a 200-pound blob of flesh typing all of this in my underwear while also scratching my humongous butt.
i knew it!!!

Old 2012-11-11, 20:29   Link #3128
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
The original statement you replied to
What I understood was:

your interest for their domestic policies is mostly academic. The Americans (WE) are the ones who have to live with them.

My mistake, nevertheless.
Old 2012-11-11, 21:05   Link #3129
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
For all you know, I could be a 200-pound blob of flesh typing all of this in my underwear while also scratching my humongous butt.
Sir, I take offense to that!

It's 199....and my underwear is made of wool.
Old 2012-11-11, 22:33   Link #3130
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Here you go. The comments may or may not show the differences between the followers of the two parties:

http://now.msn.com/15-states-start-p...-leave-the-usa

Anarchy in the USA? Folks in 15 states file petitions to secede

Quote:
It’s either the political theater equivalent of a hissy fit or the start of more than a dozen new countries: Citizens in 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States after Tuesday’s election. These include Louisiana (which led the charge), the Republic of Texas, Kentucky, Colorado, New Jersey, Montana, North Dakota, Indiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Oregon. And somewhat hilariously, someone in North Dakota filed a petition requesting New York secede, which seems pretty rude, given they are sort of handling a major natural disaster right now. Although this is largely seen as symbolic, the filers in each state still have a month to gather 25,000 signatures to have their peaceful withdrawal from the U.S.A. considered by the president. Good luck with that.
Old 2012-11-11, 22:47   Link #3131
GDB

So, apparently you can make the news if you have some friends in a few states and all file petitions at the same time. Slow news day, eh?
Old 2012-11-11, 22:51   Link #3132
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
So, apparently you can make the news if you have some friends in a few states and all file petitions at the same time. Slow news day, eh?
So we take the Nevada Test Site, put up a big wall, and give them all tickets to it. Let them secede there. We'll call it Whinerville, I guess.

Sometimes, if you've alienated everyone in the room, you just might have to consider the notion your ideas may suck.
Can't wait to run into one of the petition gatherers, because that's going to be my line.
Old 2012-11-11, 23:13   Link #3133
Destined_Fate

They're just throwing a fit, no one is stupid enough to actually secede from the US of A. Even if they did I bet they would be begging to be let back after a single weekend as they all crash into anarchy and they finally figure out just how much each of their states actually depends on Government and being united with the other states.

Are any of them even informed or have they tricked themselves into disbelief that they don't need anyone and that everything will magically be a million times better if they were all alone and not a part of the USA?

I also find it funny how the top commenter said that 8,000 people have signed it and thus it should have merit. Pretty sure any of those states are far larger than 8,000 and i doubt there are enough idiots around that actually think this is a good idea. It's just an angry mob, they'll calm down eventually once they regain their senses.

Not surprised though that many of the ones posting in support of it there seem to be highly religious(constantly invoking their Gods name in vain. Have they no shame? Not all Christians are Republican yet they act like they are!) and keep saying the country is screwed or lost it's way because the Republicans didn't win. There are also many hateful comments pointed towards Obama and Liberals in General. The sad thing is that they really think only Liberals and Atheists(Or anything non-Christian) voted for Obama.
Old 2012-11-11, 23:20   Link #3134
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Yeah, let's break America into pieces because an election didn't turn out the way we wanted.

I'm getting sick of these people. Yet again, they are screaming and crying and kicking and flailing and pointing their fingers every-which-way, blaming all sorts of people, and then how many of them realize their political party of choice needs to improve a lot and how many of them are demanding that the republican party improves and gets their act together? Seems like hardly any of them.
Old 2012-11-11, 23:25   Link #3135
Destined_Fate

What gets me is all the people that say "Obama be taking our rights away, he's a communist!". Yet when asked they never say what rights Obama has taken away from them or why they believe Obama is a communist. They also seem to be denouncing minorities and calling them freeloaders and handout babies. Have they forgotten that the Government is handing out to everyone(No matter who they are just as long as they are in need) whether they know it or not? I wonder how well those agricultural states would do during droughts without the Government having their back.
Old 2012-11-11, 23:34   Link #3136
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Yeah, let's break America into pieces because an election didn't turn out the way we wanted.

I'm getting sick of these people. Yet again, they are screaming and crying and kicking and flailing and pointing their fingers every-which-way, blaming all sorts of people, and then how many of them realize their political party of choice needs to improve a lot and how many of them are demanding that the republican party improves and gets their act together? Seems like hardly any of them.
Happened before...

Anyway, foreigners are primarily concerned with US foreign policy, not domestic policy. If Obama wanted to nationalize all of the US's Oil and Gas industry, I don't think most would care.

We're mostly worried about whether the US will invade countries, and drag us into it. The last president was a bit unstable in that respect.

This might surprise many, but before him, America was fairly loved.

Obama is liked because he works with other countries and doesn't shove America's policies down their throats. Obama understands that America's network of Allies (not just Israel!) are just as important (if not more so) then all it's aircraft carriers and stealth bombers.

Romey labelled Obama's much needed consensus building as an "Apology Tour", which really isn't the right attitude to international diplomacy. If you want to see it all, just look at Libya, where the US lead a force composed of all it's European allies (who are still it's most important), compare that to Iraq, where two of their most important allies, France and Germany, decided to wait it out.

If Obama had been a Romney, I could easily just see him burning all of America's ties with it's allies (We don't need them, we're the strongest country EVAR! They should get into line like good little Satellites...). If this cooling was sustained, you could easily see the collapse of NATO, a bad thing for all involved.
Old 2012-11-11, 23:41   Link #3137
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Republicans say deal can be done on U.S. "fiscal cliff"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A80WV20121111
Quote:
Another influential Democrat, Senator Charles Schumer, voiced skepticism that it would be possible to raise enough revenue to lower the deficit sufficiently without lifting the tax rate on the rich, but said he is open to hearing other ideas.

"The only way mathematically that I've seen to do it, is go to that 39.6 percent rate. If someone can show another plan that doesn't do that ... we could look at it. But no one has shown one because I think it is mathematically impossible," Schumer said on NBC's "Meet the Press."
Old 2012-11-11, 23:44   Link #3138
Destined_Fate

Both sides say a lot, I would rather they just surprise us one day and say a that a deal has been made and the fiscal cliff was avoided.
Old 2012-11-12, 00:15   Link #3139
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Anyway, foreigners are primarily concerned with US foreign policy, not domestic policy.
Just for starters the fiscal cliff is dometic policy and is what is on the mind of all the international stock exchanges this week (and maybe the whole month, rest of this year, etc).

Quote:
This might surprise many, but before him, America was fairly loved.
I would say instead that they had after wwII a very successful diplomacy effort for the rest of the XX century.

Quote:
Obama is liked because he works with other countries and doesn't shove America's policies down their throats.
Yep, they put the poison pills inside delicious little pancakes for countries to swallow, remember the megaupload fiasco and how several countries have been coerced to fulfill the riaa and mpaa wishes. Insisting in making their laws international las has been an ongoing effort since wwII.

Quote:
If this cooling was sustained, you could easily see the collapse of NATO, a bad thing for all involved.
This line of thought makes me kind of sad. Europe as a whole has a longer story than the USA, why do they still training wheels to ride their bicycle (military)? Having a joint EU military force would not preclude military operations with the USA, Canada, Japan and other allies, but after the collapse of the USSR I see no further reason for NATOs existence. The sad truth is that the european union is not an union, is an association, unlike the USA, rusia, china or brazil (to mention examples of similar size).
Old 2012-11-12, 00:47   Link #3140
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
So we take the Nevada Test Site, put up a big wall, and give them all tickets to it. Let them secede there. We'll call it Whinerville, I guess.
I'll only accept that proposition if the Las Vegas area is allowed to secede and join California in a special tax-exclusion zone ("California benefits without California taxes!" That'll win votes alright).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Both sides say a lot, I would rather they just surprise us one day and say a that a deal has been made and the fiscal cliff was avoided.
I'd rather we fall off the cliff, ala Krugman. It's "just" a bunch of budget cuts and tax increases and, this is hilarious, barring a grand bargain or another Obama surrender, they are almost totally out of the control of pork barrel-addicted Congress! Even the military-industrial complex isn't going to be spared the cuts, and that alone may be worth all the lulz.

The deficit (chicken)hawks wanted their deficit solutions for so long, well here it is, now they're all flustered and scared and I'm thinking we might as well just ride down the so-called cliff with Thelma and Louise. Make a pretty bonfire of all the economic deadwood.

Oh, sure, it'll shock the economy right back into another round of recession and send the recovery crashing. So what. This was another demand driven recovery anyway and it was bound to fail, if not now then years down the road.

Not to mention it'll call the bluff on the favorite Republican strategy of "Nice little country you've got there. Shame if anything happened to it." So bring it on.

[/Internet tough guy act, add two spoonfuls of sarcasm]

[/Yes, I'm actually worried about the possibility of an immediate austerity shock (that worked so well in Europe). But, also yes, I'm a little more worried the President will surrender the election triumph for another "compromise" with the "defeated" GOP. Enough is enough.]
Closed Thread