Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-10, 18:53   Link #1
devildog23
Summerlurking

Complex Characters

I just finished watching Basilisk and thought it was average. One character that really drew my attention was Kisaragi Saemon. With a show like Basilisk, there wasn't much room for character development, but his character was easily my favorite out of the entire cast. His attitude wasn't overly aggressive, but he still did what was needed of him. His outlook on the battle was very detached and it made him very mysterious. Also he was pretty badass during some scenes.

For people who haven't seen this show, I don't know how to describe this kind of character other than complex and mysterious. I'm looking for an anime with a male lead similar to Saemon. If you haven't seen it, just suggest any complex, unpredictable and mysterious leads.
Thanks.
Old 2011-08-10, 20:49   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmm... Ko Kitamura from Cross Game is predictable, and not mysterious, but he's the first character to pop into my head as "complex".

My guess is though you are looking more for someone like Hohenheim from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Complex and mysterious.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-08-10, 21:00   Link #3
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Monster actually has a fairly simple protagonist. But it more than makes up for that with an awesome and complex villain and a large, well-developed supporting cast. There is more than meets the eye to most of the characters. In fact, a good deal of the story is spend uncovering the mysteries surrounding the main villain and making the viewer understand him. Highly recommended.

The titular lead of Space Pirate Captain Harlock fits all the requirements you stated. He's charming, eccentric, courageous, and has a dark air of mystery about him. It can be theorized that Harlock inspired many mysterious and manly male characters in following anime.

Darker than Black has an excellent lead character who is mysterious, dark, and interesting. Although I'm not sure how complex he is because I haven't watched the show in quite a while, he does have strikingly different dual personalities.
Old 2011-08-10, 22:39   Link #4
devildog23
Summerlurking

Great suggestions, Hohenheim and Hei are exactly the kind of character I'm looking for. Unfortunately I have seen almost everything suggested. + rep though.

Space Pirate Captain Harlock is a little too old for my tastes.

Sorry I didn't include this before

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/devildog23

This is a list of anime I've seen. I haven't updated it in about a year, but I haven't really watched anime the past year, but I'm updating it right now.
Old 2011-08-10, 22:46   Link #5
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Seconding Kitamura Kou of Cross Game. I also suggest Watashi from Tatami Galaxy.
Old 2011-08-11, 00:38   Link #6
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Hao, the primary antagonist in Shaman King is definitely a very complex character. The kind that you're looking for. He has complex characteristics, complex past, complex relationship with the main character, and his action is unpredictable.

Still, I don't know if this is applied in the anime too though. I stopped watching it after a few early episodes. Not because of something bad from the show, It's just my local TV stop airing it and I didn't bother to look for the anime since I follow the manga. However, I knew that they have original ending which different than the manga.
Old 2011-08-11, 06:31   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Most anime characters are pretty black and white, even if they're drawn in color. I'll recommend two shows that I don't see on your list. One is House of Five Leaves, a character study about a band of petty criminals in the late Edo period. The other is Mouryou no Hako, a mysterious story that begins when a girl is hit by a train. This one is also a period piece set in the immediate postwar period.

One worth a try is Hyouge Mono, though we've only seen subs for five of the planned 39 episodes.

Even though each episode is self-contained, I'll throw the under-appreciated Bartender into the mix. Most of the episodes concern mature characters with complicated back stories.

My first choice would have been Monster, but it was mentioned before, and you've seen it already.
Old 2011-08-11, 11:11   Link #8
Ziziphus
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog23 View Post
complex, unpredictable and mysterious leads
I highly recommend Gankutsuou. Not only does it have a wonderful story and gorgeous visuals, it also has an amazing cast of complex and well-developed characters. Count Monte Cristo, the central character, especially fits your description perfectly. If the art style throws you off however, give it an episode or two and you'll get used to it soon enough. Seriously, if you want great complex characters then this is a must-watch!

Other great character studies that I've watched and enjoyed: Haibane Renmei, Simoun (only watch the latter if you're not allergic to yuri (albeit light) though.
Old 2011-08-11, 14:41   Link #9
devildog23
Summerlurking

Thanks. + rep for interesting suggestions.

I'll start with
Gankutsuou
Mouryou no Hako
House of Five Leaves

Bartender isn't exactly the kind of series for me, I watched 2 episodes already and dropped it. I know it is very good, but just isn't my type of anime. Shaman King I watched a bit when I was younger and Hao fits the description, but I'm not really looking for an anime geared towards younger viewers. Tatami Galaxy I started, but stopped watching because I had no time. I also didn't really like the art. I'll try to pick it back up.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
Old 2011-08-11, 16:00   Link #10
Elegance

I third Cross Game. Kitamura Kou this comedy/serious personality at the same time.
Another complex characters are Chiaki and Nodame from Nodame Cantabile
Old 2011-08-13, 02:24   Link #11
MidoriHiME

Escaflowne's Folken may fit the bill, though he isn't the lead (he's one of the bad guys). Same with a lot of Durarara's antagonists (at first - their motives get revealed throughout the series), especially Izaya. In fact, the whole cast of Durarara is pretty complex.