AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-27, 02:41   Link #801
xizro345
King's Justice

Spoiler for Final Episode spoilers:

As far as final impressions, this series is a mixed bag. It started out good, peaked around 24th episode, but then the obsession with recycling the decor idea really hurt it in the long run. There were some good character episodes and fun ones (especially the Happy Robo one), but the last 4-5 episodes really threw most out of the window. A shame, really.

Next week it's Doki Doki time, we'll see.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 04:14   Link #802
U<3Anime
Boo!

Indeed, such a shame that the series turned out this way. They came up with a great cast, but it seem like they didn't know how to utilize them to their fullest potential.

Not going to have much expectations for Doki Doki at this point.
Old 2013-01-27, 20:51   Link #803
KnightBuster
Give Me a Fabulous Smile!

My thoughts on the final episode: If you've seen DX3, prepare for deja vu. A lot of deja vu.
Old 2013-01-28, 21:49   Link #804
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Ah nice drama there, but looks like i was wrong to have expectation about last battle to look like the first time they fight Pierrot (around 24 - 25?)

Overall series impression...
This series has a solid cast, with all nice characterization.
Miyuki is a typical heroine cast with natural airhead characterization. But without doubt, she is the one uniting all the Precure and keep supporting them as leader.
Akane is the tomboy of the team. I really really like the episode where she experience her first love. One of the best episode there.
Yayoi, the crybaby. Every episode i look forward doing jan-ken with her.
Nao, my favourite character voiced by my favourite seiyuu. Enjoying much pic of her unofficial yuri relationship with Reika. :3
Akane, the cool beauty. Errr, nothing much to say about this one. Refer to Nao.

My only complaint is for the 2nd half (episode 26 - 48), I completely disappointed with the battle scene. Every Akanbe is being spammed with the power of Pegasus and Phoenix.

But as my first Precure serie, Smile Precure is very enjoyable.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 23:44   Link #805
Laevatein

Overall, not a great series like Heartcatch, but not horrible, either. I'd put it roughly equal with Suite (Suite had better heroines, Smile had better villains).
Laevatein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 10:03   Link #806
Diveman

Overall, the series was "ok". To be honest, if it wasn't for Yayoi's quirks and the villians I would say it was kinda bad.

Anyways, next week new PreCure series. Let's hope this one has more stuff going for it.

Now I'm off to finish watching the 1st PreCure series (halfway through). After that, Idk which one should I go for, Suite or Yes!.
Diveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 10:46   Link #807
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

I'm watching Yes! right now and I think it's kinda good. The characters are good. A bit like Smile's characters.
Old 2013-01-29, 13:16   Link #808
ShiroiRyu

Hmm ...
Not that bad but in same time, not that good.
I loved our enemies characters but ...
The last episodes were not that good.
And Joker who "die" like that ?
No no no !
Not after his fight with Cure Beauty !
Old 2013-01-30, 13:33   Link #809
justsomeguy

The good:
* Cutest character designs for the Precure franchise so far.

* Characters all got their turns in the spotlight, and nobody was forgotten as the story progressed. Akane and Nao were too similar though, since both were hotbloods focused on sports and family. Also, with regards to family IIRC oddly enough while we meet her grandmother Miyuki's direct family seems irrelevant unlike the other Cures.

* Music is quite good, nothing that makes me want to cover my ears.

* Brilliant episodes: the mid-season battle and introduction of Rainbow Burst, Happy Robo, being turned into kids, Cinderella Miyuki, etc.

The bad:
* The battles in the beginning were pretty bad, since they were just "hit Akanbe with purification attack, if fail be totally helpless until new Cure shows up to hit the Akanbe with theirs".

* While the themes of happiness, hope and despair were well used, the motif of fairy tales took a back seat for the most part.

* The Mysterious Library is underused. It's only relevant for a very small number of mostly filler episodes, and the show's plot wouldn't change at all if it was written out.

* I'm tired of Toei's Edo set. I didn't expect that to show up in anime form. -_-

* Time wasting and bad pacing. Heck, the second half of the show was a repeat of the first, with the Decor collecting and the doom clock, and episodes that could have fit just as well into the first half, when the writers should have taken the chance to kick the show up a notch.

* The episodes with the character development and upgraded attack introductions should have been much earlier, and the Bad End Precure really should have been more than MotW.

* Production cheapness: The episode where the villain trio turned back into fairies had noticeably inconsistent art, Royal Rainbow Burst is a copy of the normal Rainbow Burst (quite frankly, they should have just dropped one). Epilogue uses recycled animation from the OP.

* Besides just suddenly showing up, everything about the finale episodes felt rushed and flat. The villain trio being all fairies had absolutely no buildup before the reveal. Even Pop hadn't recognized them before. Having the Precure fall and have to pick themselves up twice during the battle disrupted the emotions that the writers were trying to evoke. It doesn't help that the final scene of the epilogue with Candy showing up again basically crapped on the drama 15 minutes earlier (at least it wasn't stretched out into multiple episodes like the DD or Lotte finales).

final score: 7/10. While the show was enjoyable by its individual episodes, the main plot didn't feel like it held together well or that the writers made an effort. The fillers were actually more interesting than the main plot.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 17:14   Link #810
Kitsu Breaker

I really dislike a lot Candy, give her to much relevant when she was a weak character and Deux ex Machine one

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Kitsu Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 10:22   Link #811
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
* Besides just suddenly showing up, everything about the finale episodes felt rushed and flat. The villain trio being all fairies had absolutely no buildup before the reveal. Even Pop hadn't recognized them before. Having the Precure fall and have to pick themselves up twice during the battle disrupted the emotions that the writers were trying to evoke. It doesn't help that the final scene of the epilogue with Candy showing up again basically crapped on the drama 15 minutes earlier (at least it wasn't stretched out into multiple episodes like the DD or Lotte finales).

final score: 7/10. While the show was enjoyable by its individual episodes, the main plot didn't feel like it held together well or that the writers made an effort. The fillers were actually more interesting than the main plot.
Completely agree here (including the final score).
I liked this season of precure... but the end was just... i don't know...
Old 2013-02-04, 10:38   Link #812
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

the first precure series I watched from the start till the end
and just like Go-Buster, the 2nd half is meh
but despite of that, it leaves very deep good impression
especially Reika-sama

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 02:08   Link #813
pezzie

Strong start, dull finish.

5/10, ranking even under Fresh for me!

After I finished this series I started watching Heartcatch again and man it's just so much more interesting.
pezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 08:15   Link #814
TCman

Just finished watching Smile Precure. I think the Smile Precure series as a whole is a pretty good show. It has such a great start, a pretty good premise, interesting and likable characters (Yayoi is my most favorite character from Smile Precure), while being super funny most of the time; the funniest episodes are the best and they are super re-watchable.

I know Smile is not perfect and it's not as good as HeartCatch Precure was, especially when I expected a way more powerful ending for Smile Precure. The ending is not bad in my opinion, but it doesn't add anything special or new which hasn't been done in earlier Precure or other Mahou Shoujo series, there are no surprises at all. Even the end boss looks kinda similar to the one (in final form) in the first Precure All-Stars DX movie. Though I do like the fact that Candy is the Princess. I guess it's still an anime show for kids, so the producers don't want to make it too complicated for the young audience.

As for the quality for animation and character design, I think they are pretty consistent (most consistent quality is in Heartcatch Precure in my opinion), at least better than the Fresh and Suite Precure series. But I remember one particular episode of Smile Precure in the summer period (the summer festival episode?) was particularly bad in terms of animation and the graphics, especially for the main characters. It's almost felt like the main staff was on summer vacation, while Toei was hiring some replacements to do that episode.

Nonetheless, Smile Precure in my opinion is a pretty good and the funniest (perhaps thanks to Yayoi-chan) Precure show with some flaws (mostly the ending and 2nd part of the show), but it's in no way a bad Precure show like Fresh and Suite Precure were; both Fresh and Suite were really jumping the shark with the direction, story-telling and art direction (very inconsistent and poor art/animation quality).

I am giving Smile Precure a 7 out of 10 (½ point deducted because of formulistic ending).
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 06:43   Link #815
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Episode 47-48:

I'm rather pleased with the last two episodes. Good action + some drama from the precures. Royal Candy somehow reminds me of Shiny Luminous from Precure Max Heart. Anyway, candy proved to quite reliable, espescially in episode 47. And Emperor Pierrot (before he turned into a blackhole) looks badass, he's the final boss for sure.

At the final episode, I thought it would be the standard boss gets defeated by beam spam.. the "hug" sure took me by surprise.
I wish they would have season 2! Going to misss Miyuki and friends.

Final score: 8/10

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2013-02-06 at 09:31.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 01:00   Link #816
4Tran

Episode 29

The Smile summer vacation episode is pretty fun. Lots of silliness all around, and Cure Beauty manages to save the day because she's boring. The artwork is pretty good too - you can tell the staff had fun making this episode. Of the different matches, I liked the Whack-a-Mole, Bowling and Painting ones the most - Cure Peace's little snort of victory is just too perfect!

It's not quite as good as the one in Heartcatch (because none of the cast can match Erika's sheer attitude), but it's highly entertaining. I'm not sure how anyone can say that Smile Precure is a bad show.
Old 2013-02-12, 01:11   Link #817
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'm not sure how anyone can say that Smile Precure is a bad show.
Dude, you're still on episode 29, while others have watched the whole thing. Bad? That's up to opinion, but at the end the amount of potential that the writers didn't bother with becomes obvious.

Old 2013-02-12, 02:13   Link #818
4Tran

Episode 30

Another fun episode as the Precure team saves money and breaks all sorts of immigrations laws by using magic to travel all over the world. There's lots of fun moments with Yayoi taking pictures everywhere she goes (she doesn't take nearly as many as I do!) and Nao threatening to exhaust the entire world's food supplies. Red Oni sneaking into the picture on the Amazon was pretty neat too.

The production team didn't pull all the stops for action in this episode, but mermaid mode was pretty creative.
Cure Peace uses lightning -> It's super effective! -> Everyone dies!
I do wish that Cure March got to attack; I wonder how the heck they would have animated that.

At this point, Smile Precure is horribly entertaining. I'm enjoying this show more than any other anime currently airing right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Dude, you're still on episode 29, while others have watched the whole thing. Bad? That's up to opinion, but at the end the amount of potential that the writers didn't bother with becomes obvious.
What potential is there to fulfill? It's not as if Precure is worth watching for the plot or for drama.
Old 2013-02-12, 02:22   Link #819
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
What potential is there to fulfill? It's not as if Precure is worth watching for the plot or for drama.
When you dismiss things like plot or character development or drama, all shows become "good." But please don't be snarky towards other people for having higher standards. Believe it or not, not all MOTW shows have the same level of quality in regards to the things you don't care about. Else, by what standard do you claim that Heartcatch is good, or that Suite and Doki Doki are bad?

Old 2013-02-12, 05:27   Link #820
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
A superhero show MUST have drama. It's not about eating cakes, even if that might be someone's cup of tea.
Yonemura's Rider works however prove that he has no idea what makes a superhero show tick.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical girl, shoujo