AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Byukugan or sharingan?
Byukugan 407 35.51%
Sharingan 647 56.46%
Neither 92 8.03%
Voters: 1146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-11, 16:57   Link #2161
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
Also, didn't Danzo say that Sai is undoubtedly the strongest or best of his generation? How does that play into the discussion?
Unknown. Besides some nifty oil paintings, Sai has never shown anything that impressive (not that his ink techniques aren't impressive, they just seem kind of pointless (save for his ability to fly, that is an extremely powerful ability)). He was supposed to be able to assassinate Sasuke, but he wasn't even able to sneak up on Sasuke, let alone even pretend to want to kill him (Sai had already been converted to Naruto's way of thinking by this point). Honestly, I expect that Sai was merely the best of the current batch of ROOT shinobi, and not in any way a contender for best spot in the generation.

As for Neji...Neji is cool and all, and probably has been off doing other important missions that simply can't be covered in a story centered around Naruto (i.e. Neji is reletively unimportant to Naruto's story, and if Neji is as powerful as we think he is, then Naruto's battles will be less meaningful since others could potentially fight them). I'm most interested to know what is his elemental affinity.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 17:13   Link #2162
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Unknown. Besides some nifty oil paintings, Sai has never shown anything that impressive (not that his ink techniques aren't impressive, they just seem kind of pointless (save for his ability to fly, that is an extremely powerful ability)). He was supposed to be able to assassinate Sasuke, but he wasn't even able to sneak up on Sasuke, let alone even pretend to want to kill him (Sai had already been converted to Naruto's way of thinking by this point). Honestly, I expect that Sai was merely the best of the current batch of ROOT shinobi, and not in any way a contender for best spot in the generation.

As for Neji...Neji is cool and all, and probably has been off doing other important missions that simply can't be covered in a story centered around Naruto (i.e. Neji is reletively unimportant to Naruto's story, and if Neji is as powerful as we think he is, then Naruto's battles will be less meaningful since others could potentially fight them). I'm most interested to know what is his elemental affinity.
Uh oh ... does the databook confirm that Sai was only the best of root and not of the village?

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha ... oh that's funny on so many levels.
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 17:35   Link #2163
james0246

^LOL, joking aside, the data book doesn't really say much about Sai. He certainly has a place in the story, but his non-Naruto hours are spent doing cool shit elsewhere (tracking Kabutomaru, having his way with Anko, etc), and since they are non-Naruto hours, the story doesn't focus on what happens then (like banging Anko...).

Last edited by james0246; 2009-08-11 at 23:28.
Old 2009-08-11, 18:48   Link #2164
DarthDestroiar

Sharingan ftw!
DarthDestroiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 18:55   Link #2165
That Other Ninja
That Other Senior Member
*Artist

People seem to forget that the mystery behind Sai is largely still unexplained. The reference to him by Danzou as being the best in root has some kind of hidden meaning perhaps. I'm sure with all this focus on Danzou now, Sai's role will only be shed more light on eventually.
Old 2009-08-11, 19:04   Link #2166
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Sennin
Spoiler for manga:
Spoiler for manga:

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Ninja View Post
Don't forget Kimimaro.

And I think, while this isn't implicitly stated, Neji could have/may have as much potential if he too fell under the tutelage of someone like a Sannin. But that's just my opinion.
Just going by the potential stat in the databook...no. Sasuke, Naruto and Haku maxed out on that. Neji had a lower score.

I can't remember if Kimimaro was given a score or not but just the fact that Oro coveted Kimimaro's body has to mean he had a lot of potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Ninja
People seem to forget that the mystery behind Sai is largely still unexplained. The reference to him by Danzou as being the best in root has some kind of hidden meaning perhaps. I'm sure with all this focus on Danzou now, Sai's role will only be shed more light on eventually.
He's a freakin' android. Nothing against the guy, but to me it seems he's mostly just used as narrative on Sakura and Naruto's feelings. Since he's only recently "discovered" the concept of emotions, he goes around bluntly stating all the obvious Team 7 drama that the other characters feel is too taboo to mention.

Last edited by Hunter; 2009-08-13 at 19:59.
Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 19:06   Link #2167
That Other Ninja
That Other Senior Member
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
Just going by the potential stat in the databook...no. Sasuke, Naruto and Haku maxed out on that. Neji had a lower score.

I can't remember if Kimimaro was given a score or not but just the fact that Oro coveted Kimimaro's body has to mean he had a lot of potential.
Well the databook isn't my bible. You can treat it how you like.
Old 2009-08-11, 19:23   Link #2168
Killer Bee

Quote:
Somebody ain't sipping the kool aid. I salute you, sir.
Old 2009-08-11, 19:40   Link #2169
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
You're right. It's naive of me to treat material from Kishimoto as the definitive guide to characters that are the product of his mind. We need a second opinion. He didn't even cite his sources.

Old 2009-08-11, 20:16   Link #2170
Killer Bee

Spoiler for manga:

Last edited by Hunter; 2009-08-13 at 10:31.
Old 2009-08-11, 20:23   Link #2171
That Other Ninja
That Other Senior Member
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
You're right. It's naive of me to treat material from Kishimoto as the definitive guide to characters that are the product of his mind. We need a second opinion. He didn't even cite his sources.
Nobody called you naive, not openly or in my mind. Its obvious plot-wise that Naruto and Sasuke would have the most potential and it would be cited in the databook though it doesn't make concrete what happens in the future. That alone doesn't, or shouldn't, determine the nature of characters and what may be in store later. Why is Gaara Kazekage and Naruto isn't Hokage when he has so much potential? Anyway i'm saying for an on-going series nothing stays the same throughout.

Quote:
Spoiler for manga:
Thanks for the salute btw. And whats sad about Sakura is she did beat an S-class villain, while still proving to be pretty useless. :P And I agree about how inconsistent the events play out with how the characters are percievably portrayed at different times.

Quote:
Spoiler for manga:
Spoiler for manga:

Last edited by Hunter; 2009-08-13 at 10:41.
That Other Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 20:55   Link #2172
james0246

Quote:
So basically the pamphlet just gives a recap of all the events that happen and puts them in perspective the way that Kishi wants us to believe them up to that point, huh?
Besides that the books are significantly larger than a pamphlet (and have none of the stereotypical ranting ), this is essentially correct. The data books do not tell the story, they, at best, add or clarify the story.

I don't think anyone has ever disagreed with this...

Quote:
Spoiler for manga spoilers...:

Last edited by james0246; 2009-08-11 at 23:29.
Old 2009-08-11, 21:40   Link #2173
That Other Ninja
That Other Senior Member
*Artist

Quote:
Spoiler for manga:
I know. But try and convince them of that.

Last edited by Hunter; 2009-08-13 at 10:42.
That Other Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 21:47   Link #2174
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Spoiler for manga:
Spoiler for manga:

Last edited by Gin; 2009-08-12 at 00:06.
Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 21:54   Link #2175
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Good point. Itachi's little Mindfuck Finger that he used against Naruto back at the start of Part II was described in the data books as being an Uchiha Clan ability (how an eye power can be projected from a finger is beyond me, but there you go ). So, your idea is definitely a speculation that fits the current evidence, and seems very feasible.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-08-11 at 23:30.
Old 2009-08-11, 22:49   Link #2176
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Spoiler for manga:
Spoiler for manga:

Quote:
Nobody called you naive, not openly or in my mind. Its obvious plot-wise that Naruto and Sasuke would have the most potential and it would be cited in the databook though it doesn't make concrete what happens in the future. That alone doesn't, or shouldn't, determine the nature of characters and what may be in store later. Why is Gaara Kazekage and Naruto isn't Hokage when he has so much potential? Anyway i'm saying for an on-going series nothing stays the same throughout.
Potential has nothing to do with current status/rank, it's one's capacity to grow. Haku was stated to have among the highest potentials in the story and he's dead.

Anyways, it wasn't my intention to say that Neji's recorded databook potential is absolute immutable truth ("potential" is a subjective term anyways). I was just explaining why Hunter mentioned Sasuke, Naruto and Haku in his list of highest potentials and why Neji and Kimi weren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246
Good point. Itachi's little Mindfuck Finger that he used against Naruto back at the start of Part II was described in the data books as being an Uchiha Clan ability (how an eye power can be projected from a finger is beyond me, but there you go ). So, your idea is definitely a speculation that fits the current evidence, and seems very feasible.
What if he beats him without using the finger?

Spoiler:

Last edited by Hunter; 2009-08-13 at 20:00.
Old 2009-08-11, 22:53   Link #2177
Killer Bee

Spoiler for manga:

Last edited by Hunter; 2009-08-13 at 20:00.
Old 2009-08-11, 22:54   Link #2178
Nosauz

Spoiler for manga:

Last edited by Hunter; 2009-08-13 at 10:44.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 23:03   Link #2179
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

^ Spoiler tags guys. This is a very old thread and there's no [Manga] tag. It'll make Hunter cranky if he has to edit.

Spoiler:

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee
You aren't directing that towards me because I said above that I agree that it reflects stats. So I guess you must have just been revisiting your own argument.
Well yeah, I was directing towards you because you said the information, while accurate, could still change on a dime. Neji's potential stat is as likely to change as his birthday and bloodtype. But the thing is his potential doesn't necessarily affect how strong he is portrayed in the story. Like I said, potential is a subjective thing. Back in Pt 1 when Neji could easily kick Naruto and Sasuke's asses they both still had higher potential than him. Neji could still be an incredibly powerful force within the story, but his potential will remain the same.

Last edited by Sabaku Kyu; 2009-08-11 at 23:13.
Old 2009-08-11, 23:26   Link #2180
james0246

Your strange vendeta against the data books just gets weirder and weirder...

Quote:
The facts in the databook are subject to change and ARE NOT written in stone. They are simply just what the author wants us to believe ... for now. So when someone begins telling you that your theory is stupid or that you ignore facts which, as I said before, are subject to change then its a case of a dude on a soapbox with a pamphlet in his back pocket.
The data Book contains pure facts and no speculation (though information can be left blank), there is no way around that, and you trying to deny that by claiming that "facts change" doesn't stop the data book from being factual. Specifically, very little in the data books actually change, so much a new data is gained, so further story is revealed.
Spoiler for manga:

That being said, certain things in the data book have always been definitive, specifically techniques (their history, usage, rank, etc) and stats.

Last edited by Hunter; 2009-08-13 at 19:58.