AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-06-27, 09:09   Link #1021
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
a growing sense of superiority over the characters in the show.
As the show goes on, I'm starting to feel a stronger sense of empathy with Yuuko, if anything. Most of it may be her fault, but her energetic outlook and genuine excitement over the small things in life is something I can admire in any person, real or fictional.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 09:34   Link #1022
Gohan78
Awakened One

The problem with the Shinonome household scenes is that they feel extremely repetitive.
The Professor is exactly the kind of annoying, spoiled brat that I hate. Cuteness alone cannot save her character.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 09:49   Link #1023
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
As the show goes on, I'm starting to feel a stronger sense of empathy with Yuuko, if anything. Most of it may be her fault, but her energetic outlook and genuine excitement over the small things in life is something I can admire in any person, real or fictional.
Of course the main school trio, and the Shinonome trio are exceptions to this. Being the characters that appear the most, it's much easier to find Yukko more endearing than say, Annaka, who also receives similar treatment.

Though I find it hard to deny that the show treats Yukko like crap
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 11:25   Link #1024
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Hopefully there's a new opening next week, though I'm pretty sure we haven't seen on the scenes from the first opening yet. I can't wait to see Nano being trolled by Mai.
Old 2011-06-27, 16:58   Link #1025
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Though I find it hard to deny that the show treats Yukko like crap
Not sure, but everyone in this series gets treated like dreck. I think we just get the impression that Yuoko get most of the abuse is because she had more screen time than the rest. Besides she seems to be a more good natured and relaxed person, unlike like say Mio.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 17:08   Link #1026
GreatTeacherKen

^^

Well Mai doesn't get treated like dreck, but that's because she's a master troll.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 22:59   Link #1027
Forsaken_Infinity

I missed Mai this episode btw D:
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-27, 23:37   Link #1028
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Saving her up for next week's assumed mass trolling of Nano.
Old 2011-06-28, 05:21   Link #1029
Dop
Mmmm....

I think as the season is rolling around it's time for me to wave goodbye to this show, as really it's turned into something I was watching because it was there.

Yes, there are nice visual touches, and the soundtrack is often splendid, but that's not enough, and I'm just not enjoying it.

One of the problems I have with this series is that there's a spiteful air to the way Yuuko is dropped in it each week, and things which might be funnier if they were more quick-fire are just dragged out and out and out, stretched so thin that any essence of comedy is just lost.

The whole Hakase/Nano scenario is also wearing thin, after the rocket toe, Sakamoto's scarf, and the swiss roll in Nano's arm, I'd been hoping to see more wacky inventions, really.

Unless I start reading about how it gets a lot better in the second half, I've had my fill of this show.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 05:37   Link #1030
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
The whole Hakase/Nano scenario is also wearing thin, after the rocket toe, Sakamoto's scarf, and the swiss roll in Nano's arm, I'd been hoping to see more wacky inventions, really.
How about a brother for Nano? But what most people are expecting is that the cast will mix up with each other in the second half.
If it still follows the manga closely, expect to see development between Sakurai- and Takasaki-sensei, the Go-Soccer club and relation between Shinonome and the School characters.

The issue you point out earlier, with the stretched sketches, it because those were the 4koma chapters in the manga. The manga itself is mixed between short stories and 4koma, and kyoani is actually following the manga pretty close, except for few changes.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 10:04   Link #1031
Gabrinius
Hic !

nano is going to school somewhere in the next episodes.

it will be the climax of the comedy, better than the episode off the camping.
Old 2011-06-28, 13:33   Link #1032
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Hey, Yuuko got the best treatment in this ep (80 points )

...too bad it was an easy test
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 13:35   Link #1033
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

It looks like the first volume of Nichijou might have bombed. Oh well, perhaps it will be a cheaper license then and someone will pick it up for (hopefully) Blu-ray release outside of Japan.

This show took a while for me to "get", but I love it now. Nichijou and Steins;Gate are the two shows I really look forward to every week (although I haven't been commenting much on Nichijou, it's just something I soak in and enjoy without feeling the need to really talk about it).
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 14:30   Link #1034
Midonin
Last Engage

While it would be foolish to suggest there's a 1:1 relationship between words and actions, considering how much talk there was in this thread saying the show would bomb when it barely had any episodes under its belt, I can't help but wonder if that became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Wishing for success might have helped even a little bit.
Old 2011-06-28, 16:51   Link #1035
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I would imagine the show will become more entertaining in the second half than it was in the first half.

Sort of a bummer about sales, but we don't know where it stands on Blu-ray sales yet. On the other hand the scenes that are entertaining can likely be found on the internet when one feels like seeing it, and thus avoiding the scenes one doesn't care for...since there seems to be a divide of interests between the two groups of three, with those that like the school group hating the Professor and the group that likes Nano's group not liking Yuuko's suffering. (They've gotten to the point where they are casting the entire cast in darkness of late and predicting suicide for Yuuko at the end with no one else in the cast caring at all. But that's the internet for you.)
Old 2011-06-29, 11:20   Link #1036
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Nano going to school next week, and i expect new OP too. All the events in the OP were touched afterall

Hakase was clearly the annoying brat, and the least favorite of the three in the household. However she does act adorable sometime (when she following Nano asking for the snack, or try to sneak into Nano's blanket). On the trio at the school, i have the soft spot for Yukko and slightly more for Mai than Mio. But they are all liked by me, especially the Gundere and super adorable Sakurai-sensei !!

PS: poor Sakamoto prior to the OP, and he was enjoying the bite also
Old 2011-06-29, 13:56   Link #1037
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Given that it took a few episodes for Nichijou to somewhat get better, the BD sales might reflect that as well. Still, I can't say I disagree with the poor reception. There's just too much stuff that's just not funny, or very forced.

Anyway, the Professor is a brat, though mostly because Nano is weak and can't keep her in line. When I saw her turning around each time the kid threw a tantrum, I knew she'd get what she wanted without any repercussion afterwards.

The bit with Yuuko's 80 points dragged on too long as well. Did we really need an entire episode dedicated to her first big achievement? Yeah, I know she's proud of it and wanted to show off, but this was too much.

I hope Nano's school-going adventure makes the show a lot funnier, else I foresee the future for this show to be quite bleak.
Old 2011-06-29, 17:32   Link #1038
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

This show got poor reviews from critics and regular viewers because they already saw something like Lucky Star and K-On much ealier. Too bad this show don't get a sub forum unlike two previous KyoANi's moeblob shows.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-29, 17:53   Link #1039
Midonin
Last Engage

While this show could be said to be in the same general cloud of shows as the two you mentioned, it still forges out its own identity, its own story beats, its own art style. Every program tries something to differentiate it, and Nichijou pretty clearly displays its own strengths. And subforums, something that only exist in the context of this board, aren't an absolute measure for shows. Not every gem is going to be shining on the cave wall so brightly - some are hidden.
Old 2011-06-29, 19:17   Link #1040
GreatTeacherKen

Nichijou isn't really anything like Lucky Star or K-On! besides being a comedy and having 'moe' characters. I have never been reminded of those series whenever I watch Nichijou. The style of humor is much more outlandish and wacky than those series whereas the above series mostly sticks to situations that are more mundane.

Not to mention that K-ON! itself is quite different from Lucky Star so I disagree with such comparisons.

As for why this show doesn't seem to be as popular as those series, who knows? I can't read Japanese so unless someone is willing to translate, I don't know what Japanese viewers think of this series. The simplest answer I can think of is perhaps they don't find the series that funny.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen, slice of life