AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-11-05, 19:23   Link #18381
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

I feel it's a bit much to ask that a writer stick to canon as close as possible, as it really kills the creativity. Not to mention, it raises a lot of questions regarding elements of the MGLN universe that isn't explored or explained well in the canon. Writing isn't suppose to be rigid; your fic isn't a paper due next week worth 20% of your grade. Having these rules... it isn't fun any more.

So! Who wants Space Pirate!Nanoha?

Yar-har-fiddle-dee-dee~
Old 2009-11-05, 19:25   Link #18382
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I still kind of want 'NamSurvivor!NanoFate.

>.>;

<.<;
Old 2009-11-05, 19:28   Link #18383
Nijiru

@Nanya: Blushing and flustered Signum is cute.
@Satashi: Go Vivio!

As for the OC discussion, the main reason I use an OC (Johannes) as the main character in most of my shorts is that I don't like writing from the PoV of a canon character. Likely out of fear of shooting myself in the foot. Nothing more.
There are certain series that I watch for the characters, others I watch for the world that the series creates, and some I watch for both. With Nanoha and Vana'diel, I like both the characters and the world that they're in, and as such, if I make a OC for it, I like having him interact with both the canon characters and the world they're in.
Nijiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 19:33   Link #18384
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Eh, I don't ask for fanfics to stick 100% to the canon, but things should still function within the canon. For example, if a future version of a character comes back to prevent something, that would raise some flags for me because it's stated in show that time travel is impossible.

I try to stick to canon to the extent that I can invoke the feeling of "Ah, I could so see this happening in the show!"

Milage varies, of course, given the ambiguous canon status of certain elements. I still get people critisizing me for pairing 'canon lesbians' with men, whereas my official stance on that particular subject is "it could go either way."
Old 2009-11-05, 19:34   Link #18385
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

You're gonna hate everything I write then. Well, except the pairing part. I could careless what's canon or not. OT3 ftw. Or HAREM.
Old 2009-11-05, 19:37   Link #18386
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
You're gonna hate everything I write then. Well, except the pairing part. I could careless what's canon or not. No Ship ftw.
Nah, I wouldn't hate it. I just probably wouldn't read it. I'm not gonna hate on some thing I haven't read. Unlike some people...

Quote:
Didnt read the story but thought I'd put in my two cents...
Seriously, WTF?
Old 2009-11-05, 19:37   Link #18387
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Quote:

I'm totally going to do a spoof later.....
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 19:57   Link #18388
kaname08
Poetic Stargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
Wow lots of chatter might as well throw my own view in.

On OCs: Ocs are a touchy subject I suppose. But I've come to like them, I even have a few *points to the sleeping Inspector in the corner*. You can ask why I don't just write my own fiction but the fact is I do that too. Fanfiction is just a grownup version of those games we play when we're kids where we play out the roles of our favorite characters in new scenarios (it's like rping by yourself ). OCs are just when you decide it'd be fun to play around in that world some more.
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Why should there be? You can ask why they don't just use the original characters but really why not? Fanfiction is fun, and to say there's a way things should or should not be done is very silly in my opinion.
I think the problem comes when people approach OCs as tools instead of as characters. That's poor writing right there. I don't think you can approach writing someone as, they have a role to fill and that's it, and do a good job. It's just not possible. The worst OCs I've seen aren't the self-insert characters but really the one where the author just didn't give a crap about them. Characters are characters and they need to be treated as such.
On pairings I tend to only like CCxCC and OCxOC because I find OCxCC tends to be very poorly written. However right now there's a CCxOC pairing buzzing in my ear and annoying bunnies keep forming so perhaps my opinions will change on that soon.

On Fanfiction.

Fanfiction is for fun. I think that's what a lot of people forget. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be critiqued and worked on like any other piece of writing and that doesn't mean it shouldn't be held up to the same standards but that does mean there's a lot more wiggle room. And I think it's important to remember that. There's very little, short of making characters completely ooc, that can be done wrong in fanfiction and I think sometimes we forget that and get caught up in what can and cannot be done.

Being a pirate is alright with me~
On that explanation I totally agree with you on that one. The trouble for me when creating OC's is to try and balance certain elements out or to try and not repeat. However, when you look at certain labels for male and female characters, there's quite a lot really yet they usually end up being re-cycled over and over. I agree that CCxOC fanfics are usually difficult to write compared to CCxCC and OCxOC fanfics, however, it's like you said about fanfics, that they're for fun.

I'm curious about one thing though. Wouldn't original fanfics be just as difficult compared to regular fanfiction?

Last edited by kaname08; 2009-11-05 at 20:21.
kaname08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 20:02   Link #18389
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
@Kaijo: Dude if you wanted it to STICK TO BLOODY CANON then wait for the official releases. Why are you looking at a fanfic thread?
It sounds like you are trying to confuse things into a false dichotomy. There is plenty of room for creativity in a fanfic while staying close to canon. StrikerS opened up the universe and left plenty of room to grow in various directions. There is a LOT to explore which hasn't been touched on by *any* series or fanfics.

If you really think that, then you haven't been reading. I am just trying to share my viewpoint, something I am NOT forcing on anyone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you feel threatened that I feel this way?

I mean, I've tried to say several times that my viewpoint is my own, and state my logical reasons why, but also saying everyone is still free to do what they wish. We all have our likes and dislikes and differing opinions. Is it okay if we co-exist and have discussions to better understand each other?
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 20:03   Link #18390
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I think it's just because I am heavily involved in OCT that I use so many original characters. That and that I focus almost entirely on the Saint Church, which up till recently had a dearth of history and personalities, forcing me to make guesses and fill in the blanks, which canon has affirmed that I was going in the right direction.

Today's OCs may be tomorrow's CCs! So who knows? Many of mine have been converted to CCs after an episode/manga chapter release and a name change.

But looks like my poll got completely passed over. Ah well, I don't write much anyway... So I'll be right over there with the rest of the lurkers...
Old 2009-11-05, 20:34   Link #18391
hideki101
Bored out of his mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
I'm totally going to do a spoof later.....
I can see it now, befriending and thievery...wait, isn't that Marisa's job?
hideki101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 20:37   Link #18392
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijiru View Post
@Nanya: Blushing and flustered Signum is cute.
@Satashi: Go Vivio!

As for the OC discussion, the main reason I use an OC (Johannes) as the main character in most of my shorts is that I don't like writing from the PoV of a canon character. Likely out of fear of shooting myself in the foot. Nothing more.
There are certain series that I watch for the characters, others I watch for the world that the series creates, and some I watch for both. With Nanoha and Vana'diel, I like both the characters and the world that they're in, and as such, if I make a OC for it, I like having him interact with both the canon characters and the world they're in.
I was totally going to throw the Celestial Capital into a Nanoha fanfiction (Lost Logia Did It) just because I love Al'Taieu's aesthetics and design so damn much.

>.>;
Old 2009-11-05, 21:04   Link #18393
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Shiny's train of thought
Hmm space pirates
space opera
Opera Pirates
Pirates of the Penzance : O

Spoiler for The Very Model of a Shafted Magic Librarial:

Spoiler for a/n:

Last edited by TheShinySword; 2009-11-05 at 21:23.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 21:11   Link #18394
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Shiny's train of thought
Hmm space pirates
space opera
Opera Pirates

Spoiler for a/n:
Dammit, Shiny, I'm supposed to keep quiet when I'm working at the library!! XDDD
Old 2009-11-05, 21:28   Link #18395
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Shiny's train of thought
Hmm space pirates
space opera
Opera Pirates

Cute ^^ I barely remember how to do long division myself. Who needs that when we have calculators!
Old 2009-11-05, 21:29   Link #18396
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Shiny's train of thought
Hmm space pirates
space opera
Opera Pirates

Spoiler for a/n:
Um...the cuteness level is high, but...is "librarial" a three-syllable word like "general"? Because if it's four like it looks, every line falls apart...
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 21:30   Link #18397
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
*cough* if you drop the first ra when singing it does (In my head he sings it Libarial but that's not a word). >:| don't look into it too much
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 21:33   Link #18398
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideki101 View Post
I can see it now, befriending and thievery...wait, isn't that Marisa's job?
Oh god dammit. LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

In the Dimensional Sea, there are several forces that constantly compete for dominance. Among them, the Time Space Administration Bureau is the largest and most pronounced. Ordered Space is shared by several groups in addition to the TSAB, such as the Duchy of the Scarlet Devil, the Monarchy of Eientei, and the mysterious Lost Lands of Mayohiga.

They conflict often, however, with smaller independent groups that vie for riches, fame, or just for fun. This freespirited action also means that they will never know peace, but for some that is exactly what they wish. Unpredictable, wild, they are the jesters of the universe, doing whatever they wish.

They are "pirates."
Spoiler for mood music:

Riot Stars - A small group of pirates lead by Nanoha Takamachi. They are renown for heavy firepower and overwhelming force. Their foes are given the choice of surrendering of be "befriended." The Riot Stars are thought to be one part of a greater clan.

Riot Lightning - Fate Testarossa Harlaown is commander of this group, a fast-striking force that can run circles around their opponents then strike their weakest point. The Riot Lightning are often associated with two other factions.

Riot Knights - Believed to be the "command" of the Rioters, this group is rarely seen in the front lines. When they are, however, their artillery, support, and defense is unmatched. The Riot Knights are also the "voice" of the three groups, headed by Hayate Yagami and her guardians the Wolkenritter.

The Numbers - A collection of cyborg pirates whose reasons for fighting are presently unknown. They are, however, a fast and powerful group that often defeats their opponent through subterfuge and blitzkrieg tactics.

The Kirisame Love Thiefs - A band of knowledge hungry magicians whose firepower rivals, if not more, that of the Riot Stars. Even their speed is comparable to the Riot Lightning. Named after and led by the self-proclaimed Witch of Love, Marisa Kirisame. Rumors states that Nanoha was an apprentice of this group before joining the Riot clan.

Outer Cadia - Diverse is an understatement when describing this group, a bizarre mishmash of ideologies and abilities that make them the most unpredictable of pirate groups. At the same time, they are the most unreliable; sometimes they are overwhelmingly powerful, while other times they are easily defeated.
Old 2009-11-05, 21:33   Link #18399
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
*cough* if you drop the first ra when singing it does. >:| don't look into it too much.
Oh, heh. I was just trying to sing it in my head and kept tripping over that word. Plus I couldn't find the pronunciation online...

Vita (raising hammer): Ve Belkans haf vays of making you mispronounce! Now sing!
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-05, 21:35   Link #18400
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Outer Cadia - Diverse is an understatement when describing this group, a bizarre mishmash of ideologies and abilities that make them the most unpredictable of pirate groups. At the same time, they are the most unreliable; sometimes they are overwhelmingly powerful, while other times they are easily defeated.
"Are we going to be good today?"

"...Roll for initiative."

*clatter* "...One."

"Then... no."

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha