AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-03-11, 09:10   Link #61
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
LMFAO, this is so getting a Ban in China.
I haven't see any anti-Japan stuff due to this.

The few comments I've read about the China arc is that they kinda like it.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 14:12   Link #62
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Spoiler for the coffin:

I don't really understand anything about Mahjong as it's played here. Obviously I've learned that making a Rising Sun is very good. Guess I'll spend a bit of time over at the Wiki page and see what I can learn. So far I haven't felt at a disadvantage watching Koizumi, though. Any other suggestions for places to find a quick tutorial on the game will be appreciated.

Oh, and for those wondering what that "Black-Scholes" thing was about, it's a formula used to value financial derivatives and develop hedging strategies. Some commentators have suggested an over-reliance on the B-S model contributed to the Crash of 1987 and may have played a role in the current Crash as well.

Spoiler for lengthy quote from article:

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-03-11 at 14:25.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 04:21   Link #63
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I don't really understand anything about Mahjong as it's played here. Obviously I've learned that making a Rising Sun is very good. Guess I'll spend a bit of time over at the Wiki page and see what I can learn. So far I haven't felt at a disadvantage watching Koizumi, though. Any other suggestions for places to find a quick tutorial on the game will be appreciated.
I recommend reading the japanese Mahjong yaku page as it shows all hands that count for winning and also has good explanations.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 17:19   Link #64
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Spoiler for the coffin:
No it is not Mao. He is Chin Dynasty Shi Huang Ti, first Emperor of China. He is a fearsome warrior king who buthered his way to the throne of unified China around the same time Romans fought for their existence against Hannibal Barca's rampaging army in Second Punic War. There is good reason why Wen Jian Bao and Hu Jiantao shitting their pants. This is emperor who build Great Wall and gave China its first solid national identity.

I will bet with my last shekel to mark my confidence of my assertion.
Old 2010-03-12, 20:38   Link #65
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
No it is not Mao. He is Chin Dynasty Shi Huang Ti, first Emperor of China.

I will bet with my last shekel to mark my confidence of my assertion.
Did you "cheat" and read the manga, or is this also speculation? Not much of a bet unless we're both guessing here.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 20:50   Link #66
stormy001_M1A2

Hell no. I did not cheat. If you look at the OP montage, the silhouette matches a famous portrait of Shi Huang Ti. I did not speculate, I am pretty confident it was him. The manga did not feature him yet.

The OP also shows Adolf Hitler as the next nemesis. His arm raised in Nazi salute in front of the Nazi Eagle is pretty clear.
Old 2010-03-12, 20:52   Link #67
Dextro
He Without a Title

I actually thought it was Mao also but I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell such details. We'll just see next episode then (or be spoiled by manga readers). Anyway I'll probably laugh my arse off again next time :P
Old 2010-03-12, 20:59   Link #68
stormy001_M1A2

Mao is formidable but Shih Huang Ti is THE 1st Emperor of China. In terms of badassery, he is the man. He fought and buttraped 6 kingdoms when at that time, his nation Chin considered as red neck hicks in ancient time China. He also developed combined arms tactics with great emphasis on crossbowmen which decimated the other armies.

Source for more details

Adolf Hitler

Napoleon Bonaparte

Augustus Caesar , First Emperor of Imperial Rome

Now I am puzzled by this one. He could be either Zhuge Liang, Sun Tzu or Kung Fu Tze or Confucius as he is known in the West. These 3 are intellectual and strategist titans of China.

The former Premier of Japan will go against these historical titans in mahjong. Interesting.

Cheers.

Last edited by stormy001_M1A2; 2010-03-12 at 21:26.
stormy001_M1A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 14:59   Link #69
GDB

Quote:
Now I am puzzled by this one. He could be either Zhuge Liang, Sun Tzu or Kung Fu Tze or Confucius as he is known in the West. These 3 are intellectual and strategist titans of China.

Probably Zhuge Liang, because of the fan which seems to be curved (possibly resembling a feather).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 16:54   Link #70
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Probably Zhuge Liang, because of the fan which seems to be curved (possibly resembling a feather).
But the background is a japanese building. Maybe someone legendary in the japanese history to serve at the last boss?
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 18:36   Link #71
Joojoobees

Quote:
I don't really understand anything about Mahjong as it's played here.
I actually enjoy not understanding Mahjong as I watch this and other shows (e.g. Saki). It adds to the unpredictability of the show as someone produces a tile that means nothing to me, or shouts out something that means nothing to me, and then they have some intense sound effect. LOL. I just take my cue from the dramatic expressions on the characters' faces.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 20:22   Link #72
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
But the background is a japanese building. Maybe someone legendary in the japanese history to serve at the last boss?
If it weren't for what appears to be long hair, I'd say it could be Oda Nobunaga. I suppose it could possibly be Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Hrmm, could be Tokugawa Ieyasu as well.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 22:06   Link #73
stormy001_M1A2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
Which building is that in Japan? Care to tell?

If he was a Japanese, there is one famous warrior "taiko" have this pose: Toyotomi Hideyoshi also known as Monkey (hence his protrayal in Sengoku Basara with his pet monkey on his shoulder). He was a sandal bearer peon at first then raised in rank to be opportunistic top successor when Nobunaga was assassinated. He did not awarded the coveted rank of shogun due to his peasant birth but he is given the seat of Prime Minister (or simply taiko) since he has the biggest army after the civil war era. He is the one who tried to conquer Ming China and responsible for horrific Korean campaign which in the end broke his army thanks to a brilliant Korean admiral; Admiral Yi.

Hideyoshi also renowned for his fetish of finer living such tea ceremony and court games beside his military prowess. Some scholars will consider him as very decadent. If I was right, this is the man that Koizumi will face in future mahjong match.

Last edited by stormy001_M1A2; 2010-03-13 at 22:17.
stormy001_M1A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 19:15   Link #74
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I haven't see any anti-Japan stuff due to this.

The few comments I've read about the China arc is that they kinda like it.
You know how they are about politics. They'll probably consider the portrayal of Wen Jiabao and Hu Jintao as insulting.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 03:06   Link #75
stormy001_M1A2

AHAHAHAHH!

Sorry, it is Mao Tse Tung that Koizumi faced in ep3. I based my beliefs/speculation on the OP montage of the dark shadows of the webcast series. Hence my rather cocky speculation. LOL.

Ah well, a poo poo on my face for me. My apologies.
Old 2010-03-17, 10:53   Link #76
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Quote:
AHAHAHAHH!

Sorry, it is Mao Tse Tung that Koizumi faced in ep3. I based my beliefs/speculation on the OP montage of the dark shadows of the webcast series. Hence my rather cocky speculation. LOL.

Ah well, a poo poo on my face for me. My apologies.
But more than likely; they WILL be facing the first emperor eventually. I'm sad that they skipped the Russia Arc.

Spoiler for Putin:

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 01:24   Link #77
Peanutbutter

Spoiler for manga ch 22 and 23:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 08:44   Link #78
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Just a thought but does anyone have a clue what the winding up clockwork key on Mao's neck is a reference to?

On the manga front the American game...many tears were shed ;_;

Also
Spoiler:

MEIN FURHER! <3

Last edited by Sety; 2010-03-30 at 08:55.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 03:17   Link #79
LeoXiao
思想工作

This anime just brought "badass" to a new level. Will there be more episodes besides the Korea/China arc?
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 11:13   Link #80
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
This anime just brought "badass" to a new level. Will there be more episodes besides the Korea/China arc?
For the most part, it looks like that arc's over, but I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually show up again.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gag, mahjong, political satire, seinen