AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-23, 14:53   Link #1
quikimpulse
Suicidal Maniac!!!!!

Instant messaging.........

I have something that i want to ask who has a their instant messaging information on these forums. Do you really want someone out of the blue instant message you even thought they only know you on these forums. I know its kinda weird to ask, but if someone instant messaged you out of the blue, would you really be interested in talking to him/her???????

(P.S I only get buddy list names from people I know or have meet, so thats why i am asking this)
quikimpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 15:12   Link #2
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!

Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
Oh! I always get people who instant message me that I don't personally know!
I don't mind at all, since I'm interested in meeting new people, etc. ^o^
and.. if I don't like them, I can just block them, right? hehehe..
MidoriShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 15:22   Link #3
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

It usually depends on the person...most of the time i don't mind talkin to people i've met on the forum and had small conversations in threads...but i have gotten a couple random people im me that i don't even know from the forum...

but you gotta take the good with the bad...the way i see it is if people dont' want other people to im them...all they gotta do is not list their sn...if they have it listed then it must mean they're open to having people im them...
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 15:27   Link #4
MikoKikyo

I've never had anyone annoying or unwanted IM me or anything. If you don't like the person, aside from blocking them, you can just... not reply.
There was one person from the Forum that *I* IMed out of nowhere actually, and we did become good friends, but he's not posting here anymore, unfortunately .
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 15:30   Link #5
sarcasteak
WAHA~

I don't mind when I'm not busy or anti-social...it's an easy way to meet new people, so why not? You can always block, no?
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 15:32   Link #6
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikimpulse
Do you really want someone out of the blue instant message you even thought they only know you on these forums.
It isn't a matter of "want" as such; I have the contact information so people can contact me if they need to... it is a tool, just like the PM feature of the forum. I have the accounts, I may as well use them... besides they all provide features to ignore / block people who I don't want to talk to. Unlike say, email ... which once released can get harvested by all manner of spam-bots and other junk senders.

These days when people message me out of the blue it tends to be something that would have been dealt with over PM or as a post on the forum (if I hadn't provided the information...) and in many cases a quick MSN / AIM conversation is much faster than a long string of PMs. So in that respect yes I do "want" them to message me; it can save me time.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 15:45   Link #7
StriderA
Watashi wa Kuragari desu.

Send a message via ICQ to StriderA Send a message via AIM to StriderA Send a message via MSN to StriderA Send a message via Yahoo to StriderA
Messaging

Posting your IM info is optional, for that reason. Some people aren't comfortable having people able to message them out of the blue. Personally, I enjoy meeting new people, and generally people only im me if I've talked with them through the forum itself. This tends to lead to only people whom share my views or ideas messaging me which leads to possibly a good friendship. I value friendship more than anything else, so I figure I should make it easier to make friends than worry about anything else.

Either way, it hasn't been a big problem so far, so I'll just keep on doing it.
StriderA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 18:50   Link #8
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
im fine with it, but this one guy keeps asking me who i am once in a while.
kinda gets.... tiring..... -___-
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 19:39   Link #9
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I was very resilliant to put my aim, but I talked a lot with lani and i found it to be nice, so far only one or two people have im me out of the blue, and it wasnt bad, so I decided to leave it there, Im not putting my other messengers handlers though...
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 22:03   Link #10
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

I haven't really had any annoying IMs. I did take off my sn. Simply because I wanted to. I figure if someone wanted to chat with me from this form all they would have to do is ask me if I have IMing.

There are some people that i do chat with here quite often.

Last edited by Cammie; 2004-10-25 at 11:13.
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 22:29   Link #11
Link

Send a message via AIM to Link
I don't mind. It's like this:

Other Person: Hey!
Me: Hey
Other Person: Wats up?
Me: Not much, u?
Other Person: nm
Me: Umm.... do i know you?
Other Person: I'm from "insert whatever here"

So ya, I don really care.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 22:37   Link #12
GustaveElazul
Gus

~truncated~

Last edited by GustaveElazul; 2013-10-16 at 09:09.
GustaveElazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 00:49   Link #13
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I don't mind people IM'ing me either. Especially since over half my IM list is people at work, so most of those conversations are work related only, so it makes for a rather boring IM list. Of course then there's people from this forum who have IM and never turn it on so I can chat with them (*cough*elven*cough*dranz*cough*hint*) and then there are still others who I chat with a lot, especially about my comic strip. As a matter of fact, three of the people on my IM list are official "quality" testers for my strip. 1 is full time, one part time, and one is a tester whenever the two of us happen to be online at the same time, which lately hasn't been often. T_T

So if someone wants to IM me, just PM me and I'll share either my ICQ or AIM number/name with you. But be forwarned. I work as a network engineer, so when stuff starts breaking, I'm going to get suddenly quiet for a bit. Thankfully stuff doesn't break often on my watch. ^_^
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 03:26   Link #14
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
I just got my first msn from out of the blue. its alright but it can become kind of weird if u don't know where the person is from (which forum) or know much about the person, either than that I think its great i'm open to it, makes life on the internet all the more interesting.
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 13:33   Link #15
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I used to like getting random IMs until about 4 years ago. I don't mean to sound like an ass, but I really don't have the time to chat with some random person anymore. I find it annoying more than anything else now because it distracts me from whatever I'm trying to do. I am really selective on who goes on my buddy list, I only have 27 people on there right now and I'm getting rid of a few names soon. The only people on my list are typically close friends in real life and people that I work on projects with online (currently my Allacrost project and Y-Anime).
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 09:19   Link #16
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
I made the mistake of putting my ICQ # in public a long time ago when i was part of a team that coded a not so legal but very popular application >_>;;

I got 20-30 people msg' ing me per day about what not, so i tend to keep my IM contactnames to myself and only give em to people when they ask and when i think they won't annoy me with 5984759834 questions.

I got the weirdest msg's one could get, my icq list was well over 100 people big back then lol. and now i have less than 35 people on my IM list (ICQ, MSN and AIM combined - gotta love trillian)
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 09:46   Link #17
Shadowlord
~DESU

I feel very awkward when people come from no where and start talking to me, in real life and the internet. I am shy, so I tend to not talk much to them. I remember when I used to visit the DBVortex forums and Toriyama's World (those bastards, I hate the admins there) I had people added to my msn buddy list, we never talked until like 6 months later, and that was only to ask "who are you again?"
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 17:29   Link #18
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
i have heard this from a friend, but apparently, there is a computer that has a screenname, and its run by A.I. (aritificial intelligence) do you know if this is true?
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 17:33   Link #19
ramune

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
i have heard this from a friend, but apparently, there is a computer that has a screenname, and its run by A.I. (aritificial intelligence) do you know if this is true?
I think you're talking about SmarterChild.
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 17:38   Link #20
MikoKikyo

Could also be Austin Powers.

MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote