AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-08, 13:04   Link #21
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Hang on let's go back, the time machine never crashed in the Beta timeline. When it first appeared in the Beta line it shake the building but it wasn't a crash.

I just saw "crashed" and assumed he meant the Alpha time line.

When Okabe saw the Time Machine stuck in the building he had already been transported to the Alpha timeline, since it was directly after he send the first D-mail to Daru.
I must have had my timeline mixed up. And I overlooked other details as well, so it's pretty much irrelevant at this point. I should've watched episode 1 again before even trying to think up what could happen next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard24 View Post
We don't know for sure that the Titor from 2000 was Suzuha, do we ?
Doesn't matter, she explicitly said that she was in those time periods:

"I stopped in 1975 and 2000."
Old 2011-09-08, 16:59   Link #22
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
Okay, I just marathoned through 23 episodes yesterday because I couldn't stop watching once I started the series and there's one thing I'm confused about (actually there's more, but this one bothered me the most, hope you don't mind the stupid question):

Okarin accidentally switched timelines in the first episode, from the beta-timeline in which Kurisu dies to the alpha-timeline in which Mayuri dies. And then he got back to the original timeline, thus "saving" Mayuri by sacrificing Kurisu. But does he really "save" Mayuri? Interventions in the past make a timeline diverge in several timelines, isn't this right? So like John Titor said, if you go back in time to prevent a person getting killed, the timeline splits into two: one in which the person is alive and one in which the person is dead. The alpha-timeline still exists no matter where Okarin is so doesn't it mean that Mayuri still dies...? Does that mean that "saving Mayuri" just means to get the Okarin we know in a timeline where he doesn't see it?
The whole idea of undoing the chain of D-mails that triggered the Alpha world line was, from my understanding, because doing it would cause the world line to shift back to the original Beta world line, and no line would take place where Mayuri died. So yes, Okabe did really save Mayuri, since in undoing all of the D-mails that were sent (including the one that saved Kurisu and made the first shift over to the Alpha timeline) undid the changes that created the Alpha timeline.
Old 2011-09-08, 21:34   Link #23
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I'll take a stab at this:

Basically, there is one world. Unlike the "parallel world" time travel that you were probably thinking about. The progression/history of each timeline is set, but it's not certain that the "world" will travel to it...think of it like an eroge, there are set "routes" a player can take, but a player may or may not take it. If you choose girl A you will not walk down the girl B path, or you won't get the harem end, etc. What Okabe can do is keep his memories from one timeline to another, kinda like the CG mode, or system file in an eroge where it keeps all your progression.

So, in ep1 Okabe made the world traveled down "route Alpha", thus resulting in a dystopia, and Mayuri dying (bad end). So undoing all the D-mail, sent him to "route Beta", WW3, and Krisu dying (also a bad end). Basically, by going to the Steins Gate timeline, it would mean Okabe is forcing the world into another "route". The existing route of Krisu and Mayuri dying does not disappear, it is in the "system", but also "untrue" as the route was not taking, therefore it is "not real" just like in an eroge, you cannot simultaneously achieve both a true end and a bad end in one play-through.

Oh lord...this is gonna be a long freaking week, wtb time machine.

EDIT: By the way, the above theory is in direct conflict of the theory the real world John Titor suggested, which seems to be what SG is based on...the only problem is that if the parallel world is indeed true, then Okabe's Reading steiners is contradictory. More on this on my blog, don't read it unless you have seen up till ep23.

Last edited by HurricaneHige; 2011-09-09 at 01:09.
Old 2011-09-09, 02:21   Link #24
tezu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
The whole idea of undoing the chain of D-mails that triggered the Alpha world line was, from my understanding, because doing it would cause the world line to shift back to the original Beta world line, and no line would take place where Mayuri died. So yes, Okabe did really save Mayuri, since in undoing all of the D-mails that were sent (including the one that saved Kurisu and made the first shift over to the Alpha timeline) undid the changes that created the Alpha timeline.
But didn't Okarin from the future say that Okarin shouldn't change the past? In other words, past Okarin needs to send that very first D-Mail, which caused the timeline to diverge into beta and alpha and made Okabe who he is now? As far as I understand it Okarin should not erase his experience of saving Mayuri together with Kurisu and not erasing it/not changing the past means the alpha-timeline with a dead Mayuri and dystopia still exists parrallel to the beta-timeline?

Tuesday can't come soon enough
Old 2011-09-09, 07:13   Link #25
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
But didn't Okarin from the future say that Okarin shouldn't change the past? In other words, past Okarin needs to send that very first D-Mail, which caused the timeline to diverge into beta and alpha and made Okabe who he is now? As far as I understand it Okarin should not erase his experience of saving Mayuri together with Kurisu and not erasing it/not changing the past means the alpha-timeline with a dead Mayuri and dystopia still exists parrallel to the beta-timeline?

Tuesday can't come soon enough
More like, those two World Lines are per-requisites of the Steins Gate World Line, without first unlocking those two lines, Okabe cannot have enough "tools" to head into the Steins Gate line, it's like an game where the true end needs you to acquire a certain item or finish the game with a certain ending first.

The other World Line existed at one point, but cease to exist once Okabe left it.
Old 2011-09-09, 14:06   Link #26
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Okay, I just marathoned through 23 episodes yesterday because I couldn't stop watching once I started the series and there's one thing I'm confused about (actually there's more, but this one bothered me the most, hope you don't mind the stupid question):

Okarin accidentally switched timelines in the first episode, from the beta-timeline in which Kurisu dies to the alpha-timeline in which Mayuri dies. And then he got back to the original timeline, thus "saving" Mayuri by sacrificing Kurisu. But does he really "save" Mayuri? Interventions in the past make a timeline diverge in several timelines, isn't this right? So like John Titor said, if you go back in time to prevent a person getting killed, the timeline splits into two: one in which the person is alive and one in which the person is dead. The alpha-timeline still exists no matter where Okarin is so doesn't it mean that Mayuri still dies...? Does that mean that "saving Mayuri" just means to get the Okarin we know in a timeline where he doesn't see it?
They key in the ALPHA timeline is SERN. They are aware of them in the ALPHA and already start to move to retrieve the scientists who made the machine (Okabe, Kurisu, and Daru) Mayuri was always the 'extra member' hence SERN already had plans to kill her. Be it by gunshot, by pushing (that was no accident by Nae), by Poison. Hence Mayuri will always die in the ALPHA line. She is disposable. In fact I seem to remember that there was a timeline where Okarin succeeds in getting Mayuri saved only for her to become a 'Jellyman' by Sern after everyone is collected.

Mayuri will die in the SERN universe, they don't want her to live.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2011-09-09, 14:57   Link #27
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
In fact I seem to remember that there was a timeline where Okarin succeeds in getting Mayuri saved only for her to become a 'Jellyman' by Sern after everyone is collected.
Although it's never explained how it happened in the anime, during the episode where Okarin recounts how Mayuri died over and over and over, there's a quick shot of Mayuri as a Jellyman in one of Mayuri's deaths.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2011-09-14, 00:06   Link #28
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
By the way, I've decided to look through this article after the end of anime and found some interesting stuff like (these aren't spoilers from the game, this information hasn't been covered in the game):
Quote:
Q3. What was the significance of Okarin’s dream in chapter 3 when Kurisu is talking about the universe?
A. It was to show what happens to people who fall into a black hole. The barren land dream in chapter 5 with Mayuri is the world 7 billion years ago, Okarin being sent there for opposing SERN.

Q7. Who sent those threat e-mails?
A. It was Moeka who sent the photos of the red jelly and mannequin head in them, warning Okarin not to proceed any further.

Q14. Why didn’t Suzuha keep the IBN5100 herself and left it at the shrine?
A. When she makes a stopover in 2010, she heard Okarin say he found it there in chapter 2 so it was the best place to leave it. It also needed repairs so she passed it onto Feyris’ father first. There was the risk SERN would send people after her. In the end she didn’t live long until 2010 to retrieve it herself so it was left at the shrine.

Q20. Does Daru’s wife appear at any point in the game?
A. No but Daru meets her at ComiMa. Her name is Amaoto Yuki. She is a fujoshi (into gay love Manga). Unknown if she has big "eyes" ^^;

Q24 How did Okarin get the "Reading Steiner" ability?
A. It was most likely awakened when he got that terrible fever during his childhood but it is unknown why. It should be linked to Millenium Bug event.

Q25. Here’s something that bothered many players… Why did the timeline shift just because they wiped a log entry from the Echelon database?
A. John Titor mentions in one of his @Channel posts that if a significant event is changed at any point on a timeline, history will re-construct itself and thus, changing the events that happens following that point in the timeline which, is what happened in this case.

Q29. Why didn’t Okarin meet the himself, the himself that traveled back in time the first time, during his second attempt to save Kurisu?
A. Time divergence meant he goes to a different branch of the timeline.

Q30. If Okarin ends up not killing Kurisu and they never met, the time machine shouldn’t have been completed. Why was it still completed?
A. It’s completed as a result of the conservation of time (dunno why but he names Attractor Field like conservation of time, Uupa like Uber and Reading Steiner as Leading Steiner) just like Mayuri’s fate. Events still happen one way or another.

~~~
~~~
夏への扉 = The Door into Summer
フラッシュフォワード = FlashForward
タイム・リープ あしたはきのう
紫色のクオリア
All You Need Is Kill
バタフライ・エフェクト = The Butterfly Effect
時をかける少女 = The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Last edited by Iby; 2011-09-14 at 13:27.
Old 2011-09-15, 01:04   Link #29
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Who is the scenario writer for Steins?
Old 2011-09-15, 05:54   Link #30
zero7090

anyone know the name of the piano track from 15:15 to 17:03 in ep 24 ?
Old 2011-09-15, 08:33   Link #31
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Who is the scenario writer for Steins?
It's Naotaka Hayashi if you're asking about VN.
Old 2011-09-16, 07:49   Link #32
Haiyami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
By the way, I've decided to look through this article after the end of anime and found some interesting stuff like (these aren't spoilers from the game, this information hasn't been covered in the game):

~~~
~~~
夏への扉 = The Door into Summer
フラッシュフォワード = FlashForward
タイム・リープ あしたはきのう
紫色のクオリア
All You Need Is Kill
バタフライ・エフェクト = The Butterfly Effect
時をかける少女 = The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Actually the answer and question to 30 is wrong. The Time machine was never completed in the Beta World Line 1.0486% Divergence. Okabe prevented world war 3 from happening by buying the metal upa before his original self w/Mayuri could buy it. This Caused Mayuri to get a normal upa which didn't set off the fire alarm and the paper in which Kurisu's father stole, burnt up. The time machine exists when he saves mayuri, but sacrifices Kurisu. I don't see anywhere in the game or anime where it says the time machine was still built after Okabe saved both Kurisu and Mayuri.
Old 2011-09-16, 20:21   Link #33
Qikz

Not sure if this is supposed to go in here, but is there eventually going to be a PC port of Steins;Gate Hiyoku Renri no Darling? I don't have a Japanese region 360 and was wondering if I might eventually get to play it. ^^
Old 2011-09-17, 05:08   Link #34
Kaos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Not sure if this is supposed to go in here, but is there eventually going to be a PC port of Steins;Gate Hiyoku Renri no Darling? I don't have a Japanese region 360 and was wondering if I might eventually get to play it. ^^
PC port for Darling would have a lower chance than having it ported to Iphone/Ipad and PSP/Vita due to 5pb's past history in porting. Most of 5pb's games have been ported to Iphone/Ipad and PSP so if you have those you're more or less okay.
Old 2011-09-18, 04:09   Link #35
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I've got alot of questions on Steins;Gate.

As an anime only watcher will just spoiler my questions.

Spoiler for SG Questions:
Old 2011-09-18, 12:40   Link #36
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Spoiler for SG Answers:

Found another Q & A about S;G:
http://ibm5100.net/steinswiki/2011/09/09/heroine-qgate/

Last edited by Iby; 2011-09-18 at 12:58.
Old 2011-09-19, 05:22   Link #37
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
Spoiler for SG Answers:

Found another Q & A about S;G:
http://ibm5100.net/steinswiki/2011/09/09/heroine-qgate/

Thank you very much for all the info.
Spoiler for Steins;Gate:
Old 2011-09-21, 23:11   Link #38
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Spoiler for Question about SG:
Old 2011-10-07, 04:00   Link #39
akinkhoo

Quote:
what you said is actually right. because Okarin has already observe them (Schrödinger's cat), they would had happened, so in one of the world Kurisu will die and in a 1000 world Mayuri will die. for the Mayushiis in those world, they will always observe themselves dying and stay dead as their world continue without them even after Okarin enter another timeline...

Steins Gate explaination model matches the "Many-worlds interpretation"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-wo...ntum_mechanics

which is they all exist but cannot be observed by each other...
with the exception of Okarin's memories... hence he becomes the "silent observer"
Old 2011-10-07, 06:30   Link #40
akinkhoo

Q25. Here’s something that bothered many players… Why did the timeline shift just because they wiped a log entry from the Echelon database?

my interpretation is the reason why Alpha line exist is only because SERN know about the phone-microwave, and hence try to arrest them before they complete their time machine. this result in an incomplete time machine that crash in 2010 instead of landing properly hence causes the cancellation of the conference and Kurisu to not die. have SERN not known about the phone-microwave(subjected to name change), Dead Kurisu's theory would had lead to competition to build a time machine, preventing the monopoly, a living Kurisu with her theory unpublished would lead to her captured and SERN being the only one with the time machine(other than the imcomplete one daru made).
Closed Thread

Tags
q&a