AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-02-07, 17:28   Link #1

Send a message via AIM to Karma Send a message via MSN to Karma
Unhappy I need some help with Linux

I've wanted to use Linux for a while, because I'm on XP now , and it hasn't been meeting my needs for my computer. So could someone give me a brief explanation on how to install and just basic operation of Linux?

Arigatou,
Old 2004-02-07, 17:43   Link #2
RichMan
????

Why the heck would you want Linux over Windows? If you using Windows XP then I can understand that because you can't use alot of old software, if anything you should just upgrade to Windows XP Professional. With Pro you can use old software and it's by far the best OS to date.

People say Linux is really good, but I can't see why. Linux can't use a lot of software, because mainly the fact is most software is made for Windows. Besides, XP Pro is faster.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 18:07   Link #3
kagelump

seems like you never tried using linux before

*random stuff*
reasons to prefer linux over windows:

- cheaper (usually free), you don't have to spend $400 more just to get your self made computer to work

- more customizable, it is open source after all

- runs about anything, if you can get wine to work... -___-

reasons to prefer windows over linux

-easier to use, you don't have to spend hour to try to make things work

-faster to install, windows packages usually comes in binaray form, so you don't have to compile everything yourself

-more compatibility, most software is designed for windows

*ends*

anyways, you can download most of the linux distro at http://www.linuxiso.org

i use slackware 9.1

but i gave up on linux because i couldn't get wine to work
kagelump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 18:07   Link #4
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Go with Mandrake. It's great for beginners and the install is a no brainer (easier than Windows). Download the ISO CD images with BitTorrent here

One of the main reasons that you might be interested in Linux is because of all the free open source software. There are a lot of really cool programs out there. (My favorite is MythTV which downloads tv shedules and provides PVR functionality.) Either way, there is a lot of cool stuff you can learn and free tools to take advantage of. The best idea is to setup different partitions for Linux and M$ Windows. Mandrake setup will take care of that for you.

And there is always LinuxQuestions.org if you need help.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 18:12   Link #5
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Hold up! Before you install an entirely new operating system, test it out first to see whether you'll like it. Download a Knoppix CD, put it in your CD-ROM drive, and reboot. Behold, Linux! It runs slower than Linux will actually run, but it has many of the best software programs for Linux's KDE.

For Linux's GNOME, which is what I use, there is no good CD...
Old 2004-02-07, 18:19   Link #6
RichMan
????

yes yes, but Windows was made for people who know the in's and out's of MS-DOS(AKA me and hackers! uh, same person)

MWAHAHAHA
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 18:19   Link #7
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Hold up! Before you install an entirely new operating system, test it out first to see whether you'll like it. Download a Knoppix CD, put it in your CD-ROM drive, and reboot. Behold, Linux! It runs slower than Linux will actually run, but it has many of the best software programs for Linux's KDE.
The boot CD's are kind of a pain if you want to install anything or keep track of settings. You could use a USB key for storage. Also check out Mandrake Move if you are interested in a bootable CD.
Old 2004-02-07, 18:28   Link #8
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
It's actually pretty easy to set up your computer to dual boot linux/windows. That's how I have it setup for me. So, I think it's worth it to try linux even if you decide to not keep it. It's a good experience and really there are other things out there.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-07, 19:20   Link #9
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
yes yes, but Windows was made for people who know the in's and out's of MS-DOS(AKA me and hackers! uh, same person)
And here our troll reveals his true motives...

I meant for him to use Knoppix to test out Linux, not as a full-fledged operating system.
Old 2004-02-08, 15:43   Link #10
Keen

Quote:
If you using Windows XP then I can understand that because you can't use alot of old software, if anything you should just upgrade to Windows XP Professional. With Pro you can use old software and it's by far the best OS to date.
You are so very full of bullshit, I hope you get it removed soon.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 16:15   Link #11
dark_breaka
Äñìmê Frëã|{

Quote:

MWAHAHAHA

I would have to disagree with that if you where really a true hacker you would know that mostly all hackers prefer to use linux based system and yes there are hackers that use windows but there usually beginners that don't really know anything about hacking :fingers:
dark_breaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 16:49   Link #12
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
I plan on putting Linux on the computer I'm going to be building since I can't stand being opressed be the tyrant known as Windows
[Insert Blue Screen of DEATH]
Question: I have many programs that do run on windows xp that I would like to slap onto linux. Will they work properly just by installing or do I have to get technical? EX. Photoshop CS, Adobe Illustrator, Some games, etc.
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 17:10   Link #13

Thanks a lot everyone, I'm downloading Knoppix now, and will try it out as soon as it's done and burnt. If I can handle Linux then I think I'll go with Mandrake as DopeSkills-Kun said. The reason I'll be switching is for security reasons and because XP's customizable settings are horrible. I'd still like some help with basic knowledge on the switch over from XP to Linux, and basic operation of Linux if you could please.

Arigatou,
Old 2004-02-08, 17:17   Link #14
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
I have many programs that do run on windows xp that I would like to slap onto linux. Will they work properly just by installing or do I have to get technical? EX. Photoshop CS, Adobe Illustrator, Some games, etc.
There are free Linux alternatives for all Windows programs except Flash.

Photoshop CS ($600) --> GIMP 2.0 ($0)
Illustrator ($450) --> Sodipodi ($0), Skencil ($0)

(Did you really pay $1000 for this software?! What a ripoff!)

Most games can run in the Windows software layer WINE, or the game emulation layer WineX. Some games, like Half-Life and Quake 3, actually have Linux ports.
Old 2004-02-08, 17:50   Link #15
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
cool! I had never heard of sodipodi or skencil...what a n00b!
*runs off to download*

ashibakai, is there a linux alternative to InDesign also?

edit: added question.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 18:48   Link #16
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
There are free Linux alternatives for all Windows programs except Flash.

Photoshop CS ($600) --> GIMP 2.0 ($0)
Illustrator ($450) --> Sodipodi ($0), Skencil ($0)

(Did you really pay $1000 for this software?! What a ripoff!)

Most games can run in the Windows software layer WINE, or the game emulation layer WineX. Some games, like Half-Life and Quake 3, actually have Linux ports.
Everyone should have friends that work in the graphixs industry. Thats all I have to say about that ^^.
Oh another Q's say i want to wipe out xp on my current comp how would i get rid of the OS's?? I heard something about doing an F'disk before but I never put much research into it.
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-08, 19:09   Link #17
Shii
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkar
ashibakai, is there a linux alternative to InDesign also?
There's Scribus:

http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/about.html

Quote:
Oh another Q's say i want to wipe out xp on my current comp how would i get rid of the OS's?? I heard something about doing an F'disk before but I never put much research into it.
Well, first you back everything up
Then you start the Linux installation, and delete the partition, and the entire C: drive will be emptied and ready to use.
(If you've got your anime on the C: drive, and you can't back it all up, then you'll have to do more complicated stuff with PartitionMagic or ntfsresize, and you should ask on a Linux newbies forum about that.)
Old 2004-02-08, 21:42   Link #18
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma
I'd still like some help with basic knowledge on the switch over from XP to Linux, and basic operation of Linux if you could please.

Arigatou,
Old 2004-02-10, 01:18   Link #19

I downloaded Knoppix and burnt it on a CD, made a boot disk (floppy), put them in my computer, and rebooted.....now comes the problem, it goes through a loading screen with 'Knoppix' on it, then it goes through a loading screen with stats that it's checking (i.e. RAM, Hard Drive space, monitor, etc, etc), after that it's just a blank black screen. What happened? I tried the boot up three times but ended with the same results ^. Could someone help? Also, where are some general Linux GUI sites, I'm planning on editing it (I can write in C and C++), but I'd like to know a little bit about how others have.

Arigatou,
Old 2004-02-10, 10:54   Link #20
Shii
*Fansubber

Press F2 at the Knoppix boot screen for some debugging options. For example:
knoppix screen=1024x768 vrefresh=60

Also try pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 for a terminal.

Ask on the Knoppix forums if you still have problems.