Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-30, 09:14   Link #621
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
My simple opinion on Nichijou and Kyoani so far:

In Haruhi, we have Haruhi who carried the show.
In Lucky Star, there was Konami.
In K-On! S1, Mio carried the show, in S2, YuiAzu carried the show.

In Nichijou, who exactly is the focus? So far, there's no particular emphasis on a certain character and I felt that explains the reception towards the series thus far.

Nichijou, by itself, is not a turn-off so far. Maybe some people expect a little bit too much. I don't expect rocking, dancing OPs/EDs, the next rising seiyuu to steal the show and moe moe kyun all the time.
Pretty much this. We viewers are bombarded with a lot of surreality that we may never find in other anime, and for this reason the show has no particular "hook" to leave people looking forward to the episodes every week.
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 09:27   Link #622
Midonin
Last Engage

Why does a show need someone to "carry" it, necessarily? An ensemble cast is the best thing in the world, creating a spider web where everyone has some role to play in the larger picture. I've believed that about every show. After all, characters don't exist in a vacuum.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 09:49   Link #623
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

For Azumanga Daioh I would point to "Osaka" being the "carry" character. Someone who could be in an episode without the rest of the cast and still be interesting to watch.

My feeling is that for Nichijou, that character will be Nano, once she starts attending school, since she will bridge both of the current groupings.
Old 2011-04-30, 10:10   Link #624
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Why does a show need someone to "carry" it, necessarily? An ensemble cast is the best thing in the world, creating a spider web where everyone has some role to play in the larger picture. I've believed that about every show. After all, characters don't exist in a vacuum.
You're right, a good show doesn't necessarily need someone to carry it. I'm just saying with some popular shows there's a specific character that fanboys just latch on too, or characters that they like to ship together. In the current season, you have people going gaga over Ohana or Nako in Hanasaku Iroha, or "Anaru" in Anohana. You have quite a few anime viewers who'd say stuff like "Kuroneko is the reason I watch Ore no Imouto".

So I'd like to ask, four episodes in, is there one specific character in Nichijou who you really anticipate every week just to see what he/she would do? Or are there too many to describe?

Nichijou is great stuff, executed well. But I don't think it's the "15 minutes in the spotlight" kind of show.
Old 2011-04-30, 11:12   Link #625
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
. One final note: I recognize that quality alone will not sell anime (it can and will help, but not on its own). It's been my observation that anime has to have some sort of otaku-pleasing hook beyond simply being "good" in a general sense. On the other hand, a show with a killer hook to it can get away with questionable quality. So I certainly recognize that a good show can have poor sales, and vice versa.
Question is if the otaku-hook is so essential or even desirable for this type of show. Surreal comedies are a niche where even the best ones have limited sales (excluding AD). Succesfull adaptions require pleasing the manga fanbase first of all. If the show positively affects manga and other derivative sales, it could be enough to count as a succes.

Take for example Shaft, their Arakawa under the bridge got a sequel even after the first season barely ranked above the manabi line. Given that Nichijou got 2-cour from the start and a PSP game announcement, this suggests some confidence in the show from the sponsors at the very least. So far reviews have been mostly positive, so I'm sure it will do well enough.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 14:36   Link #626
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Question is if the otaku-hook is so essential or even desirable for this type of show. Surreal comedies are a niche where even the best ones have limited sales (excluding AD). Succesfull adaptions require pleasing the manga fanbase first of all. If the show positively affects manga and other derivative sales, it could be enough to count as a succes.

Take for example Shaft, their Arakawa under the bridge got a sequel even after the first season barely ranked above the manabi line. Given that Nichijou got 2-cour from the start and a PSP game announcement, this suggests some confidence in the show from the sponsors at the very least. So far reviews have been mostly positive, so I'm sure it will do well enough.
Since it will be 2-cour anyway, hopefully the sale will pick up. I am quite pleased with what we had so far also, so not much demands from me.

As mentioned before, Nano, Sakamoto and Yukko got my attention every time they appear on screen. Can add Mai into the list now with the bazooka-wielding tsundere coming real close. This cast should be enough to carry the anime if they keep it up and prevents jokes from getting old
Old 2011-04-30, 15:17   Link #627
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Pretty much this, though with an increase in "character route mentality" from the surge of dating sim adaptation that has taken place in the past several years I think there's been more of a tendency to focus on one and only one character at any given time, leading to a disconnect with the rest of the cast and the plot lines they are dealing with.

The only Kyoto Animation series that I could point to that I think had a strong ensemble cast working for it was probably the first Haruhi season. All the rest of them tend to focus on one character at a time. 4Koma also doesn't lend itself well to strong characters let alone a strong ensemble cast either.

In any case Nichijou seems like a show desperately in need of a hook. I mean Kyoto Animation couldn't have been counting on their popularity with their target audience alone to carry the show could they? I mean it's kind of worked to an extent in the past, but you could always point to something that sparked that audience at the same time, be it an episode that strikes a chord or a character that does something to spark a meme on 2ch.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 17:19   Link #628
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Anything with a one season break inbetween them is a split cour series. Arakawa like Arashi was a split cour series for SHAFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Since it will be 2-cour anyway, hopefully the sale will pick up. I am quite pleased with what we had so far also, so not much demands from me.
If anything 2 cour series shows decline more over time since most volumes drop from the previous ones. 99% of the time the best selling volume is the first one.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 17:35   Link #629
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

This week was a little different.

Spoiler for Episode 5:
Old 2011-04-30, 17:35   Link #630
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
For Azumanga Daioh I would point to "Osaka" being the "carry" character. Someone who could be in an episode without the rest of the cast and still be interesting to watch.
More like her and Chiyo, as Chiyo was the initial selling point for Azumanga Daioh (at least when it comes to me).
Old 2011-04-30, 18:48   Link #631
GreatTeacherKen

Azumanga Daioh's more of an ensemble series, so I wouldn't say there's a specific character that carries the series. However the series does seem to slightly favor Chiyo and Sakaki, they seem to get more character focus and Sakaki has her own subplot about her desire to pet a cat.

Osaka is more of an ensemble darkhorse as she's unquestionably the most popular character and is generally agreed to be the funniest even though she wasn't designed to carry the series by herself.

Nichijou seems to be an ensemble series or to be more accurate, it so far seems to have two sets of main characters, each with equal screen time:

1st group has the Yuuko-Mai-Mio trio
2nd has Nano-Hakase-Sakamoto trio
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 22:29   Link #632
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
If anything 2 cour series shows decline more over time since most volumes drop from the previous ones. 99% of the time the best selling volume is the first one.
Except.... if the series start to pick it up from now, then the first volume will start to sell more as well?
Old 2011-04-30, 22:39   Link #633
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Late episodes can bring in people oddly enough. I started Haruhi at Episode 11 (Space battle, found it because of the Space Battleship Yamato parody) and then got into Lucky Star from the Haruhi cosplay episode (16 I think) right after it aired.

So if there is some really awesome episode later on that people talk about...than people will want to see more.
Old 2011-04-30, 23:07   Link #634
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Except.... if the series start to pick it up from now, then the first volume will start to sell more as well?
... I don't think that it will ever happen unless they slice someone's head during the episodes... 2-cour series is hard to be collectible...

It might be just me, but one of the major problem with this show, is actually OST flowing background. Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai had EXACTLY same sort of heavy-string based orchestral BGM, which turns off a lot of people and ricks with unfashionable tone.
Old 2011-04-30, 23:28   Link #635
Midonin
Last Engage

One of my favorite aspects of this show is the utterly bizarre next episode previews. This week's may top them all (though I may yet speak too quickly, and must hold my tongue in thought), with the concept of onomatopoeia delivering the preview. Delivered by Rikiya Koyama, no less.

The saga of Mio's drawing was equally amusing. She, of all the cast, seems the most prone to snapping in the face of bizarrity.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 00:09   Link #636
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

So they decided to forgo any pretense of normal humour huh
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 00:18   Link #637
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
The drawing skit had me dying, one of the funnier moments so far, really enjoyed it. Rest of the episode was kind of hit or miss. Pretty decent, though some of the humor can be pretty out there. It's passed just being a japanese thing.

Also, whats the point of comparing this to lucky star/haruhi/K-on, ect? People being turned off by the BGM? Is this for real? Why over analyze everything? It's a freakin comedy, enjoy it or don't, you don't need to break it down like that.
Old 2011-05-01, 00:28   Link #638
Tatakae

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
It might be just me, but one of the major problem with this show, is actually OST flowing background. Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai had EXACTLY same sort of heavy-string based orchestral BGM, which turns off a lot of people and ricks with unfashionable tone.
It's the exact opposite for me. I love the string based BGM in the scenes with Hakase, Nano and Sakamoto. It gives the whole scenes with them a certain warmth which would be all but lost if they'd used just generic synthesizer melodies - well, to me anyway. The beginning of episode 5 is a perfect example of that warmth I'm talking about.
Tatakae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 00:42   Link #639
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
... I don't think that it will ever happen unless they slice someone's head during the episodes... 2-cour series is hard to be collectible...

Oh please.... are we talking about "sell more" as "sell as much as Madoka" now? Good second half segments surely won't make the sale suddenly jump to 50,000 each volume. But it will definitely improve the sale overall, just like how if the 2nd half turned out to be crappy, the revenue will crash.

Why the heck people keeps jumping in every suggesion that the sale of Nichijou may improve is beyond me. Is there anything at stake here that i do not realize? Anti-moe campaign? Mangaka is sexist?
Old 2011-05-01, 01:09   Link #640
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

"I drew this while listening to jazz."

Tags
comedy, shounen, slice of life