Closed Thread

Old 2015-04-09, 09:41   Link #21
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Argh, 2 weeks waiting to find out what Gear 4th does
Old 2015-04-09, 10:24   Link #22
game2007

[QUOTE=OH&S;5497667]
And Luffy using Gear 4 at the end was... predictable. I 've been picturing the fight in my head between Luffy and Doflamingo to end up this way for almost a year now. Seeing Oda deliver it felt pretty good.
Predictable doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. It's the way that it got delivered matters. If being predicable instantly means bad, then pretty much all medias out there are bad because the good guys win in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schedmaster View Post
So no chapter next week, then double issue chapter, and then no chapter the week after that?
No chapter next week, then yes after that. Not sure after that week, though.
Old 2015-04-09, 10:32   Link #23
Wandering Soul

Chapter ends with Luffy about to use Gear 4 and then reveals a two week break. I'm really looking forward to Gear 4 too.

I hope Gear 4 is as creative as Gear 2 and 3 were.
Old 2015-04-09, 10:40   Link #24
J4n1

And now the chapter, that sets up the next chapter, that might actually get the fight properly started...

Love the series, but damn these take forever to get moving at times.
Old 2015-04-09, 10:42   Link #25
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 783
That was a good chapter. I agree with the people on this forum Cavendish was awesome in this chapter. Sometimes I get that feeling like Law might be the next Straw Hat crew member. His past is just like everyones in the crew and his loyalty to his mission and Luffy is honorable. If anything I could see him joining the crew, maybe if Chopper bites the dust in some future arch Law will be the replacement and a welcomed one. Having two doctors in the crew would not hurt either. After this Arch Law will pretty much be in the Jimbi Status (given the offer to join the crew but won’t, but will always have a place if he wishes it.)

4th gear
So far what is consistent with all of Luffy’s gears is they enhance his physical side, side affects(gear 2 drains stamina, but after time skip it seems he has over come them.), gears can be used with his haki, each gear performs only one enhancement( gear 2 is speed, gear three changes the mass of his body). Now Luffy can keep up with Daflamingo but his gear three is to slow and his second gear does not have enough power to stop daflamingo. The logical solution for Luffy is combine gears 2 and 3 into 4. Mathematically this does not add up(2+3=5) but were not doing math thank goodness. With this combination he should be able to touch Daflamingo and hurt him. His gears are good already but he only uses one at a time, now he needs to use two gears at once. I personally think that is what gear 4 is going to be. Gear 5 would be a new gear and it would be used against yonkous but I think the gears he has now are sufficient enough for Daflamingo he just needs to use them both now at the same time. When he does this I can seem him driving dalfmaingo right through the mountain(that Pica made) literally splitting it right down the middle.
Old 2015-04-09, 11:15   Link #26
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Goddammit. Why did the break have to happen now of all times? I'm dying to see Luffy's newest power-up!
Old 2015-04-09, 11:30   Link #27
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I don't think Gear 4 will be quite as simple as combining Gear 2+3 (Luffy already used that combination against Moria). No, there's going to be something else that really sets it apart.

I think that soon enough Doffy's glasses will finally come off (whether he takes them off himself or they get smashed in battle) and that's when shit's going to get real.
Old 2015-04-09, 11:46   Link #28
marvelB

Come to think of it, Luffy (solo) vs. Doflamingo actually kinda reminds me of Luffy's fight against Blueno eons ago. It was pretty similar in that Luffy managed to land very few clean hits on his opponent before he revealed Gear 2 for the first time. And incidentally..... it was chapter 387 when we first saw Gear 2. And what chapter does Oda choose to reveal Gear 4? 783. Coincidence....?
Old 2015-04-09, 11:52   Link #29
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
So assuming he can keep up with Doflamingo speed-wise and keep close, I'd imagine it'd solve is lack of power in his blows~
yea. it's gotta be a condensed armored state. Mingo says himself that Luffy's blows tickle. I'm sure that's hyperbole, but they still don't have much effect on him. gear 4 needs to up the power Luffy can dish out.
Old 2015-04-09, 11:56   Link #30
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Gear four, Turns Luffy into a full Muscular, Ace-ish looking self.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Old 2015-04-09, 12:04   Link #31
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Come to think of it, Luffy (solo) vs. Doflamingo actually kinda reminds me of Luffy's fight against Blueno eons ago. It was pretty similar in that Luffy managed to land very few clean hits on his opponent before he revealed Gear 2 for the first time. And incidentally..... it was chapter 387 when we first saw Gear 2. And what chapter does Oda choose to reveal Gear 4? 783. Coincidence....?
nah, knowing it's Oda, he probably planned this beforehand
Old 2015-04-09, 12:09   Link #32
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Gear Fourth eh? This is gonna be interesting.~

Haven't been this excited for a new chapter of One Piece in a while, and it just so happens that it's going on break at the same time, ah man.
Old 2015-04-09, 12:44   Link #33
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Maybe Gear 4th is a burning giant. D: Anyway, cool chapter. I like the beating Luffy took. And I like the fact that he's got an audience for his epicness as well now.
Old 2015-04-09, 12:49   Link #34
ri0

I canīt really describe how much I loved this arc so far. First the set up and design of Dressrosa and the enemy crew. The separation of the Strawhats to achieve multiple goals. The skirmishes in the stadium and all over Dressrosa. The story of the enslaved country.
But what stands out the most (even more than Law, which means quite a lot out of my mouth ): Donquixote Doflamingo!
I don't know, but his overall design, his looks, his expressions, his behaviour of speaking... To me, he became by far my favorite villain. I remember back on Punk Hazard when his anger overflowed, I was really eager to see him in action. And I wasnīt let down by Oda. Disrespecting Luffy all over while fighting him and seeming like he is completely in control while maintaining his badass looks... he really is a worthy opponent for Luffy to show his full potential in the New World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Knight
Last page: Gear... 4

No chapter in 2 weeks.

Me: Oh you son of a...
True story

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB
Nice catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten
I like the beating Luffy took. And I like the fact that he's got an audience for his epicness as well now.
I also liked that! Right now, it seems like Doflamingo is still toying with Luffy, despite having taken Lawīs Gamma Knife. He really is a monster...

About the audience: Itīs quite nice that people are about to witness what is about to come. On the other hand, this could turn out quite dangerous, if we look back at the Thriller Bark Arc. Right now, CP0 and Issho are still on the Island and I could see it coming that the higher ups in the marines decide to cover this incident up. Or they just declare, that they freed Dressrosa
Old 2015-04-09, 13:10   Link #35
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hmm, gear #4....my guess would be that he can pulse his muscles for a jackhammer strike, kugi punch-style. Although it might sound like a ripoff, the theory behind it is different and it has been done elsewhere too, so why not.

Chapter: the coolometer's off the charts, Law and Luffy are real bros! The rest of the cast isn't falling behind, either. One week break? Good, as long as One Piece keeps delivering...
Old 2015-04-09, 13:24   Link #36
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
Gear four, Turns Luffy into a full Muscular, Ace-ish looking self.
And while Luffy goes Super SaiyanGear 4, the 30 minutes it takes for people to start dying in NamekDressrosa takes 3 hours in anime.

Old 2015-04-09, 13:46   Link #37
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I don't think Gear 4 will be quite as simple as combining Gear 2+3 (Luffy already used that combination against Moria). No, there's going to be something else that really sets it apart.

I think that soon enough Doffy's glasses will finally come off (whether he takes them off himself or they get smashed in battle) and that's when shit's going to get real.
Why does it have to be complex if simple works?
If your talking about the time he became nightmare luffy he pretty much was thrashing moria who was a shibukai by the way. If he had stayed in that mode he would have won hands down. Second if you look at it from a writers perspective this is the second arch after the time skip. Why throw all your cards in one arch? Luffy's gears are good enough to were if he just did the 2+3 he would doing series damage. Third look at the fight has a whole between Luffy and Daflamingo. He has not once tried to take the third gear head on. The damage from gear two is not enough. Luffy is doing pretty good and his haki is apparently good enough to match daflamingo.
Old 2015-04-09, 14:17   Link #38
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
And while Luffy goes Super SaiyanGear 4, the 30 minutes it takes for people to start dying in NamekDressrosa takes 3 hours in anime.

And after Dofla is defeated, he tries to sneak in one last attack on Luffy, which pisses our hero off to the point that he blasts him away for good..... until the future arc where it's revealed that Dofla not only survived, but was remodeled into a pacifista!

....only for him to get fodderized by the mysterious bishie "D" from the future, that is.
Old 2015-04-09, 16:08   Link #39
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
....only for him to get fodderized by the mysterious bishie "D" from the future, that is.
my money is on the young stud being Roger from the future after drinking from the fountain of youth
Old 2015-04-09, 16:26   Link #40
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
Why does it have to be complex if simple works?
If your talking about the time he became nightmare luffy he pretty much was thrashing moria who was a shibukai by the way. If he had stayed in that mode he would have won hands down. Second if you look at it from a writers perspective this is the second arch after the time skip. Why throw all your cards in one arch? Luffy's gears are good enough to were if he just did the 2+3 he would doing series damage. Third look at the fight has a whole between Luffy and Daflamingo. He has not once tried to take the third gear head on. The damage from gear two is not enough. Luffy is doing pretty good and his haki is apparently good enough to match daflamingo.
He is not referring to Nightmare Luffy. Right before the end fight against Moria is when Luffy combined gears 2 + 3 and launched "Jet Shell" to knock as many shadows out of Moria as possible before sunrise. Moria was a challenge but none of the seven warlords are on the same level. Moria is actually fairly weak among them.

While it boasted attack and speed, this non-gear form was very difficult to control and took a massive toll on Luffy. Also he was only able to hit Moria due to the fact that(moving at the same speed) he was quite hard to miss and the excess shadows were hindering Moria.
If Luffy overcame the weaknesses with said form, running around as a giant balloon would be very impractical against Doffy, whom actually blocked a gear 3 + Haki attack from Luffy with relative ease.

Also if Oda were just going to reuse the combination of gears 2 + 3, the he would not have to create any suspense or give it a name.

This new gear will be just that. New. Albeit a form that incorporates some aspects of rubber. Theories are floating around but seeing as how Oda's creativity surpasses our own we can only guess what madness will be illustrated.
Closed Thread