AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-26, 12:04   Link #1
lordwu

Marimite S2 Ep.13 END (official thread)

Parasol o Sashite.
Finally the last episode of Marimite 2nd season.

Yumi's confrontation with Touko.
Youko's re-appearance.
Explanation of Sachiko's absence.
Love-love scene between Sachiko and Yumi.

Not a bad episode but IMO is somewhat lacking for me. Many small details that are essential to bring out the emotions were skipped because of the time limit. They even have to change the reason why Sachiko can't tell Yumi of her grandmother's sickness. I found it more satisfying when I read the ending in the novel. But I'd like to hear the opinions of non-novel readers.
Old 2004-09-26, 12:48   Link #2
Shigan
Forever a Journey

.....so, where do we get the raws when l33t is down? T_T

I hate this sunday, first Madlax get licensed and now l33t goes down...
Old 2004-09-26, 12:51   Link #3
paTKany
Aasu Ⅷ

Send a message via MSN to paTKany
Quote:
That was the best part in the ep. Touko was stunned for a moment. She's cuuute when she blushes.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Youko's re-appearance.
And Suguru's. He's driving like a crazy racer...

Quote:
At last Sachiko can talk about her feelings. Sweet scene.
Old 2004-09-26, 12:53   Link #4
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwu
Parasol o Sashite.
Finally the last episode of Marimite 2nd season.

Youko's re-appearance.
Explanation of Sachiko's absence.

Not a bad episode but IMO is somewhat lacking for me. Many small details that are essential to bring out the emotions were skipped because of the time limit. They even have to change the reason why Sachiko can't tell Yumi of her grandmother's sickness. I found it more satisfying when I read the ending in the novel. But I'd like to hear the opinions of non-novel readers.
I agree.

Overall, this story was good - but I thought it was "too normal." They put it together regularly and to me, it felt that this was lacking the big emotional movement that I experienced from reading the novel.

On the other hand, I was rather please on how they portrayed Ayako-Yumiko meeting: blatantly obvious, yet neither name was mentioned.

More details as I have written here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...5&postcount=13

I think the Yumi-Touko discussion scene was done neatly - but rather missing something from what I perceived from the novel. Touko-chan does blush, which gave it a good positive effect to me though.

Sei-sama didn't appear when Ikegami Yumiko was at Lillian.

Touko-chan was so moe~ in this story...especially her drill bounce.

And Kashiwagi Suguru drives a nice Maserati 3200GT!! Hmm, somehow I figured he would be driving a Ferrari F550 Maranello. Perhaps the person doing the cars is somewhat of a car maniac to bring in such a great car. Speaking of which, I wonder if people like him (i.e.: Satou Sei) all drive crazy like that.

Youko-sama appears once again, and she looks like a very elite career woman.

This is probably the turning point for Suguru himself as well...as more and more after this, he is reduced to working for Yumi. pa-shi-ri! pa-shi-ri!

And so we go on to Sachiko-Yumi meeting.

"eh?"

Is it just me, or is this whole scene lacking a kind of drama that I saw from the novel? Is it the flow, the cheesy yuri-like expressions (which I actually like), or is it just the dialogue flied by too fast? The special ending sequence was not that bad, and bringing in Sachiko and Yumi underneath their parasol was done well as the novel's cover...but something was lacking.

What do non-novel reader's think?
Old 2004-09-26, 13:32   Link #5
lordwu

Warning! Don't read my comments in the spoiler tag if you don't want your judgement of this episode be affected by it.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-09-26, 19:47   Link #6
mintyfresh
Altoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
What do non-novel reader's think?
Well, I thought that the ep was done quite well. I must say, the animation is superb -- I loved the scene where Suguru was creating highway havoc in his flashy sports car (it's only poetic justice for him and Sei to drive alike.. ^^'). And I must say, Touko was indeed cute in this episode. And the fact that Yumi met with her after Shimako noted that she and Yoshino should consider getting petit souers... why, if I hadn't known better, I would have thought that Yumi was going to give Touko her rosary. I'm sure that's what all the other girls that gathered thought (and maybe Touko herself). And even though I have spoiled a few things for myself, I still took her subtle blushes towards Yumi as a foreshadowing of things to come.

Now for the important stuff. I'm really liking the new Yumi, and I think that she shines through in this episode -- from the acknowledging of her fans (which didn't seem at all smug and patronizing, but rather cute and friendly) to how calm she acted throughout the entirety of this episode.

Spoiler:

All in all, this episode left me with a warm feeling, but i wasn't knocked off my feet and sent swooning (maybe i will be when the subs come out..?). What I wish I'd known for this ep (along with pretty much every other ep), is what might be going on inside the girls' minds. Do the novels give any interesting insights into what Yumi, Sachiko or anyone else might be thinking/going through during this ep?

Last edited by mintyfresh; 2004-09-26 at 20:15.
Old 2004-09-27, 00:06   Link #7
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigan
.....so, where do we get the raws when l33t is down? T_T

I hate this sunday, first Madlax get licensed and now l33t goes down...
lord wu's site
Old 2004-09-27, 00:21   Link #8
gourami

I tried my best to understand this episode (my japanese isn't good at all), and here's some thoughts.

First of all, I really like Yumi's change. She seemed more confident and taking up more responsibility, and was more foreward in a way.
In my mind, Touko's image (from her first appearance in EP 7 up till now) changed a lot too. I disliked her at first sight, but now... I admit she's a nice and cute character.

Youko sama's appearance is definitely COOL!!
I can tell that she worried a lot for her little sister-Sachiko. (and only Yumi can save Sachiko! )

The ending is superb! Yumi is absolutely blooming~ go go rosa chinesis en bouton!!!

Lastly, even though I am a non-novel reader, I also think that Sachiko-Yumi reunion scene is not emotional enough. It was touching for about 2 min (from 7:51 to 7:53).. and then it just went too fast all of a sudden.
Well, maybe it's because my Japanese is not good enough to fully understand the scene and the content of their coversation.

Overall, I really like this episode, but the ending really does lack some strong emotion. I'm also looking forward to the next season, if there's any. (otherwise, i might just go buy the novels and a really good japanese dictionary..)
Old 2004-09-27, 01:00   Link #9
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Any news on a 3rd season? Just curious. I'm still not past episode 7 anyways. Wish I could understand Japanese.
Old 2004-09-27, 01:51   Link #10
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

After watching it several times (nobody is perfect...):

Who said that shoujo animes can't have a happy and satisfying ending?
I agree with kj1980 that Ayako-Yumiko meeting is presented emotionally while Yumi and Sachiko's ending is slightly below expectaction, but nevertheless it is quite beautiful. I think the producer has a hard time to compress the whole story into a 25 min show.
Spoiler for One annoying story's logic that keep poking me:
Old 2004-09-27, 04:39   Link #11
Orm_Irian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart
After watching it several times (nobody is perfect...):

Spoiler for One annoying story's logic that keep poking me:
Spoiler for Sort-of Youko analysis and a bit of historical analogy...:
Old 2004-09-27, 07:57   Link #12
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Alright, first all hail a good run. The second season was truly no lesser than the first, and Marimite once again proves that shoujo stories don't have to include a mountain of fanservice to attract an audience.

Now on with the thoughts...

Spoiler:

Kinda sad thou, that just when Yumi's and Sachiko's relation developed, second season had to end -_-. Would ave been fun to see what they make out of it.
Never stop being a kid. Never stop feeling and seeing and being excited with great things like air and engines and sounds of sunlight within you. Wear your little mask if you must to protect you from the world but if you let that kid disappear you are grown up and you are dead.
— Richard Bach

Shigan's Fanfiction Masterlist -- The Hayate x Vivio Files
Old 2004-09-27, 08:04   Link #13
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Well, managed to catch the episode 13 raw. Not that I managed to understand it since Japanese is alien to me.

So Youko made her appearance and we learned that Suguru is a maniac driver - heh, not surprising, considering what we have seen of him. He is reduced to becoming Yumi's work slave later on in the novels eh?

I suppose Yumi's meeting with Sachiko should satisfy the cravings of the yuri fans - at least it hinted enough at it. The ending part where they had the blooming roses around them seemed kinda ... well, corny.

I don't know about the romantic side of Yumi's relationship with Sachiko. It is pretty much ambigious and not as clear cut as say, Sei's aborted relationship with Shiori. Sachiko is pretty much reserved and her emotions rarely leak through even with her peers (but they do occasionally) while Yumi always wears hers on her sleeve.

Yumi is the perfect foil to allow Sachiko to express her feelings and recover from her current emotional hurt from losing her grandmother.

Youko would have sufficed, if Sachiko could open up to her. I suspect that Sachiko's respect and reverence for her onee-sama doesn not allow her to do that. But Youko understands Sachiko enough that Yumi will unconditionally do that for Sachiko. Really, Sachiko is fortunate to have met someone like Yumi.

Anyway, are there plans for a third season? (really, I would want to see Yumi continue turning the tables on Touko and becomnig all Sei-like with her ) There should be enough material for one, if it is just another 13 episodes for it. Judging from what the novel readers have said, there's Kanako and at least enough story for one more.
Old 2004-09-27, 09:03   Link #14
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Now onto another "yet another viewer who hardly understand japanese" post...

well although i barely managed to understand half of what was happening, I have to say that I pretty much liked this episode. From how the show the rest of the Yamayurikai relationship with Yumi (they are so worried about her that they thresspass the "dont mess with me unless I ask it" rule), the showdown with Touko (bleh I actually liked her portrayal as an evil troublemaker... aw well I think it's nice to know she's humans as well ) and the Yumiko and Sachiko's grandmother story. Also, for some strange reason my Japanese understanding abilities magically jumped during the Yumi - Sachiko conversation and I was able to understand most of it ... however, like other people have commented, I think as well that it was a little rushed, but nevertheless it was rather hearth touching, albeit sthereotypical with the roses portrayal and such.

I also want to fimly believe that the last scene showed the declaration of a profound friendship relationship and nothing else...

And now onto another question... after the 1st season was there another sign of a 2nd season being in the works apart from ALI PROJECT's blog?
Old 2004-09-27, 10:54   Link #15
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

My sympathy to all marimite fans.
It is very rare to find a serious shoujo anime, let alone a good one.
Marimite is unique and always has a place in my heart.

Meanwhile, let's go on. The fall season is full of interesting titles.

----

(couldn't resist to capture this)
Old 2004-09-27, 13:42   Link #16
Lyca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart
lord wu's site
Is Lord wu's site open to all? if yes whats the address? thx
Old 2004-09-27, 13:54   Link #17
SailorMoon4ever

I get all my raws off winny japanese p2p it's pretty fast download.
PS: SleeplessHeart I did the same thing with that pic but added it as a wallpaper
Old 2004-09-28, 13:32   Link #18
paranoia's wish

off topic

I heard that theres a petition somewhere in the net with the propose on licensing Marimite to some new MTV channel . What do you think of this?
Old 2004-09-29, 08:40   Link #19
ColeMasta

Send a message via AIM to ColeMasta
i wonder if it's that new gay-tv channel i hear they're releasing around february. that'd be pretty cool though, seeing maria-sama on tv here... but thinking about the dubbed voices they'll give to our girls makes me get chills... @_@
Old 2004-09-29, 10:02   Link #20
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Are there any real official announcementes or they are just wishes and rumours?
Closed Thread