AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 3 8.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 20.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 11.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 20.59%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 14.71%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 5.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.94%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.94%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 5.88%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-24, 02:49   Link #101
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, I think that, as the show goes on, the more profound effects of the war will begin to show in these peoples lives. I don't think it's going to end on as happy a note as we've had in the early episodes, and I'm sure that's on purpose. Most of the poems that were written about the wars were written upon reflection, and we're not yet in a position to really reflect (though we're getting there).

But the other thing I want to say is... as much as I've been saying the shounen romance aspect of the show doesn't bother me, I think people focus on it a lot more than the show does. It's an on-going plot point that ties the episodes together, but there's plenty of other stuff going on as well with all of the characters. People just get so fixated on this aspect for some reason that it becomes the central focus of our conversation.
I was not talking about poems in this case - I was talking about letters and they are not really in reflection as majority were written during the course of events, reflection happens specially at first.

With time such reflective moments happen rarer simply because your sense of death and life get duller. Humans can adapt most shocking situations if you give them time. Its probably better seen from the memories from concentration camp as in Russian camps mostly intelligence were sent (teachers, professors, doctors etc.) and were shocked at first seeing how father can kill son for the hunk of bread, but then with time it becomes a natural event just like beating your own golden teeth (if you are lucky and they were not pulled out on the first day you arrived) out to sell them for food.

The pain and shock is getting duller but it exist and the reflection on it exist as well, specially in the beginning, then follow the dull period where you try not to think about and it ends only when the shockling experience ends and you have time again for reflection.

But in VC it doesn't seem the case they just waltz in and act carefree right from the start.

I know it should never be a serious anime, but it tries to be serious at times itself and fails because of these idiotic romance things flowing around.
Old 2009-07-24, 03:20   Link #102
klare

i do not know what to say after watching this eps...

i may be wrong, but it seems Isara has more than sibling feelings towards Welkin
Old 2009-07-24, 05:11   Link #103
4Tran

While I do agree with those saying that Valkyria Chronicles isn't doing much in terms of maintaining a military tone, I strangely find myself in relentlessflame's position of liking the show.

My favorite scenes in this episode were the ones featuring Isara and Ramal. As a character, Ramal isn't really all that much to write home about, but the way he plays off against her is rather amusing. On a similar note, I rather like the Welkin/Alicia/Faldio triangle as well. I have to admit that I'm not sure why I like that last bit since the flaws in it are pretty obvious. But I guess I don't mind them too much. Admittedly I haven't played the game either, but I get the feeling that it wouldn't make that much difference.
Old 2009-07-24, 07:10   Link #104
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
While I do agree with those saying that Valkyria Chronicles isn't doing much in terms of maintaining a military tone, I strangely find myself in relentlessflame's position of liking the show.

My favorite scenes in this episode were the ones featuring Isara and Ramal. As a character, Ramal isn't really all that much to write home about, but the way he plays off against her is rather amusing. On a similar note, I rather like the Welkin/Alicia/Faldio triangle as well. I have to admit that I'm not sure why I like that last bit since the flaws in it are pretty obvious. But I guess I don't mind them too much. Admittedly I haven't played the game either, but I get the feeling that it wouldn't make that much difference.
Even if I hadn't played the game, I still would not have liked what the anime did in this love triangle. It's just so one-sided, with Welkin being one of the lamest main characters I've ever seen, it's just hard to root for the guy.

Besides, the only love triangle there should have been room for, well Faldio's not in it...
Old 2009-07-24, 08:03   Link #105
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I honestly wanted to like Welkin, stemming more from the fact that we have the same college degree and tendency to digress into biological topics but man, I've put Drosophila samples under the microscope with more depth than he does right now.
Old 2009-07-24, 11:17   Link #106
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I was not talking about poems in this case - I was talking about letters and they are not really in reflection as majority were written during the course of events, reflection happens specially at first.
But the point is still the same. Do you think that people have preserved all the pointless and non-war-related letters from that time period? Is anyone going to talk about those "pointless" things in the midst of such tragedy? Like, if a highschool-esque romantic triangle did occur, would anyone read those letters today? I suppose you could argue that this is why the anime shouldn't focus on such trivialities because they're in the midst of a war, but that's just the dichotomy that we're being asked to accept in the show -- that in the midst of a raging war, a much smaller battle for hearts is also being waged, and this emotional war actually has a significant impact on their performance in the battlefield.

I'm not trying to say that the romantic triangle is super-smart, well-written, or perfectly believable -- it has all the trappings of a typical anime romantic triangle -- but I guess I just don't have the same problem with the blend. This anime is more of a character study, so they're using both the war and the romance equally to mold and shape these characters; the two sides mirror each other. I see how they're using Welkin's current rut as a way of contrasting the character development he's going to be forced through from here to the end of the show. Likewise, everything we're seeing with Faldio is also happening for a reason; he's at the top of his game now (as a contrast to Welkin), but he has nowhere to go but down, as the show keeps hinting. So I think that, at least in the anime, it's an important part of the story that reflects the way the rest of the plot is developing. We'll see what they do with it from here on in.

Quote:
But in VC it doesn't seem the case they just waltz in and act carefree right from the start.

I know it should never be a serious anime, but it tries to be serious at times itself and fails because of these idiotic romance things flowing around.
Well, I can say this. If this show had been so serious, I probably wouldn't have been interested, since I wouldn't normally watch a "war anime". I like the blend of comedy, romance, and drama because it adds variety to the experience. Again, I'm not saying that it's in any way wrong or unreasonable to not like the blend... but I still like it, I guess. *shrug*
Old 2009-07-24, 11:29   Link #107
Darknemo2000

Well I guess I find the majority of VC characters incredibly shallow, specially the ones that make the main traingle.

Lets say in Macross F we also have a pretty idiotic love triangle at times (and also in a middle of conflict), but such characters like Sheryl outshines the whole VC characters cast in terms of depth. And it helps making silly love triangle much more likable.

When the characters are just as shallow as the triangle they form it just becomes annoying and thats the case with VC.
Old 2009-07-24, 12:19   Link #108
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post

i may be wrong, but it seems Isara has more than sibling feelings towards Welkin
Well they aren't blood related to begin with so it's okay
Old 2009-07-24, 13:12   Link #109
Snowman24

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post

Well for starters they aren't blood brother and sister, even more they aren't even the same "race" I'll say, he's...whatever and she's Darcsen.

I kind of noticed this as well, it's kind of cute . She has blushed from time to time after mentioning Welkins name. But then the whole thing would get even more complex,
AliciaXWelkin, AliciaXFaldio, WelkinXAlicia, WelkinXIsara, IsaraXRamal . I don't even know what shape that would take, no a love triangle anymore like a love...octagon or hexagon or some kind of messed up web

That's not even a long triangle anymore...heck it would be hilarious if they just randomly brought in Juno Coren, the "Welkin Lover."
Old 2009-07-24, 14:58   Link #110
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Even if I hadn't played the game, I still would not have liked what the anime did in this love triangle. It's just so one-sided, with Welkin being one of the lamest main characters I've ever seen, it's just hard to root for the guy.

Besides, the only love triangle there should have been room for, well Faldio's not in it...
I would have liked the Valkyria anime to be more than what we're getting, but I still find it fairly interesting going, warts and all. I like Welkin quite a bit even though he's pretty much a milequetoast. Then again, I'm probably one of the few viewers who really liked Bakayuki of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, so I guess you can chalk it down to my fondness for certain kinds of weak characters and tolerance for the occasional weak pieces of storytelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, I can say this. If this show had been so serious, I probably wouldn't have been interested, since I wouldn't normally watch a "war anime". I like the blend of comedy, romance, and drama because it adds variety to the experience. Again, I'm not saying that it's in any way wrong or unreasonable to not like the blend... but I still like it, I guess. *shrug*
I would have wanted a full-blown "war anime", and I'd love to see some better choreographed battles and so on. Still, the show has a fair bit of appeal as is, and I'm getting a fair bit of entertainment from it. Furthermore, I don't think that a dark or oppressive tone would have fit very well with this show. Perhaps a middle ground with more of a warlike attitude and setting with some room for hijinks would have generated a better feel, but that's understandably more difficult to pull off, and it's going into second-guessing the creators territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman24 View Post
Well for starters they aren't blood brother and sister, even more they aren't even the same "race" I'll say, he's...whatever and she's Darcsen.
I don't really see anything for Isara beyond what she already said about Welkin: he's her only relative, and she was already inclined to regard him very highly for that reason.
Old 2009-07-24, 15:15   Link #111
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I don't play the game but i think that they want to put the romance in the anime so don't expect more action/war .
Well , Welkin was kinda lame in this episode but i think it needs to reach episodes 20+ to finally settle the pairing Welkin x Alicia .
Anyway poor Largo love ! And dunno if Isara love Welkin more than a brother but it'll be more complicated XD
Old 2009-07-24, 15:50   Link #112
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
I like Welkin quite a bit even though he's pretty much a milequetoast. Then again, I'm probably one of the few viewers who really liked Bakayuki of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, so I guess you can chalk it down to my fondness for certain kinds of weak characters and tolerance for the occasional weak pieces of storytelling.
I'm quite fond of Takayuki from KimiNozo, and I still heartily dislike the portrayal of Welkin, as of this episode. He's no longer whimsical, but a full-blown moron, after recent events - IMHO, of course.
I'll still hang around until the end, but I'm not hoping for much.

And no, I haven't played the game. No PS3 yet.

Old 2009-07-24, 17:04   Link #113
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I did have a good laugh with Largo singing. Reminded me of someone singing the opening of a Toku show.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-07-25, 02:18   Link #114
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I hope Largo got his girl soon

Come on Welkin, stop wussing out
Old 2009-07-25, 16:23   Link #115
Lostdreams

Can it really be considered a triangle when it's obvious that Welkin's gonna win?
Old 2009-07-25, 17:07   Link #116
Darknemo2000

It can I guess because Faldio, no matter how annoying, is still a character while Welkin is nothing more but an irritated puddle of piss at this moment.
Old 2009-07-27, 21:46   Link #117
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I'm quite fond of Takayuki from KimiNozo, and I still heartily dislike the portrayal of Welkin, as of this episode. He's no longer whimsical, but a full-blown moron, after recent events - IMHO, of course.
Vive la difference? I'm of the opinion that the appeal of a character and whether that character makes the correct decisions aren't related.

Quote:
It can I guess because Faldio, no matter how annoying, is still a character while Welkin is nothing more but an irritated puddle of piss at this moment.
I don't know; I still rather like Welkin at this point. Heck, I sympathize more with his personal interactions than with his military command skills so far.
Old 2009-07-28, 18:52   Link #118
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Vive la difference? I'm of the opinion that the appeal of a character and whether that character makes the correct decisions aren't related.
So am I. However, I don't really sympathize with him anymore, after so many displays of insecurity and awkwardness, so...

Old 2009-08-06, 12:04   Link #119
Velsy

Now that the new OP came out, I been really hoping to see some action... Would love to see alicia leading the infranty squad into places like ww2 ruins, burning tanks scattered around, abandoned towns held by imperials, type of areas. With Welkin of course providing tactics and heay armor support from within the Edelwis. I want to see some intense squad like animation. Its that time in the series to show it. Stuff like was shown in the OP kinda

But in saying this, this episode hasnt started that type of stuff. Instead we got to hear largo out with his story. I approve and liked it, gave a situation similar to Welkins going thu. I like Largo, and it was cool in my books. It gives Welkin an oppitunity to think about and learn maybe. And hopefully drop/finish this drama and get into the action !!

Unless they planning a second series of Valkyria chronicles. They might run out of time to show the battles if the drama continues.

I liked the episode, *awaits next*

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Closed Thread