AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-10-02, 02:17   Link #1
bigsocce

Crunchyroll aims to license all new anime. Good news or bad news?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/lineup

They are adding 13 new simulcasts this fall season in addition to their other on-going simulcasts like Naruto, Gintama, Erin, Reborn!, Shugo Chara.

Quote:
Crunchyroll is the ONLY place for you to enjoy the latest Anime titles within one hour of Japan TV broadcast (simulcast). This Fall Season, Crunchyroll will feature over 50% of Anime titles currently airing in Japan!1 While most titles will be free for all viewers, for less than $5 a month with the CR Anime Membership you can support the Anime Industry, and enjoy High Definition (up to 720p) and earlier access to all titles.
Is this good news or bad news?
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 05:20   Link #2
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsocce View Post

They are adding 13 new simulcasts this fall season in addition to their other on-going simulcasts like Naruto, Gintama, Erin, Reborn!, Shugo Chara.

Is this good news or bad news?
It's bad news for the rest of the anime industry. It would complicate getting the licenses for dvd releases at the very least, and many companies would probably want control over online distribution in the US too. As for crunchyroll itself, if they're losing money on every stream, it's bad news for them because they'd just be losing more money, and if they're actually turning a profit, it might be good news for them or it might push them over a cliff from expanding too fast. Look at what happened to ADV when they went on their "license everything we can get our hands on" kick. Crunchyroll doesn't publish dvds though, and they won't have the damage from that musicland fiasco ADV had, so it's not a completely accurate analogy.
Old 2009-10-02, 09:15   Link #3
LazyCanuck
I do nothing all the time

bad Crunchyroll sucks
Old 2009-10-02, 09:30   Link #4
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

It's good if they finally start subbing shows that fansubs won't do for some reason or the other. If the last episode of Mouryo no Hako isn't subbed by the end of the year I think I'm going to kill myself.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 09:42   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Kamui4356 basically has it nailed.
1) CR hasn't really ironed their system out technically.
2) the region lockouts mean that fans all over many parts of the world can't join in.
3) what does this portend for DVD or Blu-ray releases?
4) every vendor that has "tried to grab it all" has spiraled into doom.
5) single sourcing is rarely good for the consumer.

I don't object to their concept in principle... but these issues do need to be considered - ESPECIALLY the region bull****.
Old 2009-10-02, 10:24   Link #6
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
It's bad news for the rest of the anime industry. It would complicate getting the licenses for dvd releases at the very least, and many companies would probably want control over online distribution in the US too.
But, it doesn't. FUNi already licensed a bunch of the Gonzo titles that had non-exclusive streaming rights so at least some of the digital distribution licenses they sign are non-exclusive. People are deluding themselves if they think most of these series are going to come over. Many of these series are up there exactly because they are not coming over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
2) the region lockouts mean that fans all over many parts of the world can't join in.
This is a problem with Japan. With the new series alone, we have one that is available everywhere in the world except a handful of asian countries, one that is available in the US, scandanavia, and the UAE, and another that is US/canada only. It's very clear that CR is working to acquire whatever random rights they can acquire but Japan is not being very helpful.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 10:26   Link #7
einhorn303

Considering I only watch anime legally, good news.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 13:09   Link #8
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I'm really curious as to where that 50% of new anime airing in Japan number comes from, considering that 13 shows is nowhere near half of the number of shows listed by the sources I've checked (Chartfag's V2 chart, Fansubwiki' Who Subs What page for Fall 2009, and Mahou's Showtime page).
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 13:13   Link #9
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
I don't object to their concept in principle... but these issues do need to be considered - ESPECIALLY the region bull****.
This is very true since most streaming sites are limited only to one country, so the rest of the world will miss out.

Although 5 dollars a month isn't expensive, most students can't afford 5 dollars a month considering that they need the money to use on books, food and transportation and the picture quality isn't as great unless you upgrade or you are stuck with 320 resolution video. This is the main reason I would just wait and buy the DVDs since it will have higher video quality and the 5 dollars saved each month can eventually give me a better and higher quality alternative... it's the matter of being patient.

Besides, there is nothing in my interest to watch at CR anyways, so it doesn't really matter.
Old 2009-10-02, 13:34   Link #10
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I'm really curious as to where that 50% of new anime airing in Japan number comes from, considering that 13 shows is nowhere near half of the number of shows listed by the sources I've checked (Chartfag's V2 chart, Fansubwiki' Who Subs What page for Fall 2009, and Mahou's Showtime page).
They probably mean just series, not OVAs, and not counting sequels to shows already licensed by other companies (Inuyasha, DtB etc).
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 13:35   Link #11
einhorn303

Quote:
Well, that's considering:

1. They have 7 continuing simulcasts, plus 13 more, so it's actually 20 shows.
2. They exclude "children's anime" from this, which could be classified a number of different ways.
3. Also, it's TV anime also, so that excludes OVA's.
Old 2009-10-02, 18:02   Link #12
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Kamui4356 basically has it nailed.
1) CR hasn't really ironed their system out technically.
3) what does this portend for DVD or Blu-ray releases?
4) every vendor that has "tried to grab it all" has spiraled into doom.
5) single sourcing is rarely good for the consumer.

The only real "solution" to single sourcing in my opinion is to have multiple sites providing the same content that consumers can choose from - I don't really want to be having to subscribe to multiple sites due to license fragmentation.

And yeah, what this means for DVD and Bluray releases is important to consider. If they had kept and improved the downloadable side of their business model I might have considered it to offer a competing product, but they seems to be going streaming only for most recent shows (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post

2. They exclude "children's anime" from this, which could be classified a number of different ways.
So in other words, the claim is plausible but difficult to verify.

The interesting part will be to see how many of these shows end up being part of my favourites list. That's traditionally been CR's weak point: they've gotten some good stuff in the past, but it's been overshadowed by what they've lacked.
Old 2009-10-02, 18:18   Link #13
einhorn303

Quote:
So in other words, the claim is plausible but difficult to verify.
I wouldn't say the issue is being "difficult to verify," but that the claim could be interpreted a number of different ways. Ie, what counts as a "show." Or does puppeteer animation, like that Three Musketeers retelling, count as "anime?" Different stuff like that, which could be decided in or against CR's favor.

Like, if I went into my Political Science class and said "50% of all lobbyists are crooks," it would be hard to really verify that as true/false considering the many different ways to define the terms.
Old 2009-10-03, 02:03   Link #14
bigsocce

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post

http://timetravelisawesome.com/wp-co...ll-2009-v1.jpg

http://timetravelisawesome.com/wp-co...ll-2009-v1.jpg

That's 29 new anime total (excluding OVA) of which CR will have 13 (45%). However, it states that titles currently airing in Japan which include on-going series like Naruto, Gintama, Erin, Shugo Chara, FMA, Cross Game, Reborn! etc....

This Fall Season, Crunchyroll will feature over 50% of Anime titles currently airing in Japan!

So yes, that statement is true since CR will have 7 on-going and 13 new anime for a total of 20 anime titles currently airing in Japan. Since there are less than 40 anime airing in Japan this fall 2009 season (exclude OVAs), the over 50% claim is accurate.

p.s. I still don't get why the producer/owner of Cross Game don't license it to crunchyroll and get some revenue out of this deal. While it's a great anime I don't think it will be DVD licensed in the USA. This go for other anime as well that are not very likely to get DVD licensed. Give it to hulu, veoh, tv.com, or crunchyroll and earn some revenue from it.

http://animesuki.com/series.php

I don't have time to count them but I estimate there are over 1000 anime titles currently not licensed. And over 95% of these anime will not get DVD licensed in North America maybe ever. While the large majority of these 1000 anime titles are junk, there are some really good ones that CR or hulu would love to have.

Just from the letter A alone:

Aishiteruze Baby
Akagi
Amatsuki
Asatte no Houkou

Last edited by monir; 2009-10-03 at 22:57.
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 03:33   Link #15
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

It might be a good idea to use the more recent V2 chart as a reference rather than the V1.
Old 2009-10-03, 03:40   Link #16
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
What I like about CR is how I can watch long series such as GinTama and Shugo Chara! without much trouble. If you haven't followed these anime from the start, it would be a hassle to catch up.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 07:55   Link #17
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
It's good if they finally start subbing shows that fansubs won't do for some reason or the other. If the last episode of Mouryo no Hako isn't subbed by the end of the year I think I'm going to kill myself.
On the other hands, a lot of fansubs have adopted to policy to only sub non-crunchyroll shows, meaning that many shows go completely unsubbed, unless you want to watch crunchyroll.
Old 2009-10-03, 08:22   Link #18
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I hope Crunchyroll doesn't bite off more than they could chew.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 08:32   Link #19
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
On the other hands, a lot of fansubs have adopted to policy to only sub non-crunchyroll shows, meaning that many shows go completely unsubbed, unless you want to watch crunchyroll.
Understandable given CR seem to be quite DMCA happy now they've moved in to a position of some degree of power. Ironic considering they used to be huge offenders themselves. It is a shame, though, since they have picked up a few things I'd be interested in but I have no intention of giving myself eyecancer so will ignore their existence until (if) DVDs come out.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 08:57   Link #20
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
If you live in a region where the show is available on CR, then watch it on CR and actually support the industry (if you can't be patient and wait a week after airing, pay the $7 a month).

If you don't live in a region where the show is available on CR, then either don't watch the show or download the files that are ripped from CR...

A license by CR isn't going to make anime _less_ available.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote