AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-31, 18:29   Link #1
ecksplisit

Deep, meaningful anime.

It's been a while since I last asked to see anime like this, but I'm once again craving some mind bends or tears. I'm looking for anime that have some deep meaning to them. Doesn't matter if it's a tear jerker (I've seen All of Key's and Makoto Shinkai's productions) or just some kind of deep storyline. I'm pretty fond of anime that are in post apocalyptic or neo-futuristic settings.

I suddenly got in the mood after seeing this picture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IrPDqdwIzY

Here's my watched anime list. It hasn't been updated in ages tho.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Ecksplisit
Old 2011-10-31, 18:52   Link #2
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Serial Experiments Lain-- somewhat futuristic setting
Paranoia Agent-- Crazy and bizzare, but it has meaning to it

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, though a bit lighter, and more heavy on the action stuff. Futuristic world building is certain
Neon Genesis Evangelion, maybe. Apocalyptic for sure.
Aoi Bungaku-- for things on a more personal level

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-10-31 at 19:13.
Old 2011-10-31, 18:53   Link #3
jedinat

Archon_Wing's post came up just as I was posting... anyways, I'll second Serial Experiments Lain and Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Old 2011-10-31, 19:19   Link #4
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Nothing beats Haibane Renmei if you are talking about deep and meaningful. It bores a lot of people in the beginning because the story moves in such a pace of snail.

If you are in for an apocalyptic setting, look for none other than Texhnolyze. Snail paced story also applies to this anime.

And usual suspects such as Mushishi, Kino's Journey, Ergo Proxy. I'm sure there are tons more but these would be what would usually be mentioned.
Old 2011-10-31, 19:22   Link #5
kitten320

Aoi Bungaku series is a set of small stories, each one has some message behind it.

Death Note, surprised you never saw it. Main meaning behind serie is that goodd intentions can eventually lead to bad. Or how power ruins a person.

Ga-Rei Zero shows what can become of human when it loses everything and everyone.

Madoka Magica shows real friendship and devotion.

Monster, hard to explain but series cover a lot of seriouse topics.

Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom, I found this series quirt deep

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin, series are about constant struggle for better life and dream.

Shiki, towards the end of series you'll start to ask just who is the real monster here?

Steins;Gate - is changing a past really such a good idea? What are possible consequencies?

Usagi Drop - series about family life with adopted child

Those are the series that I consider to have some meaning behind them and that are deep in one or another way.
Old 2011-10-31, 19:59   Link #6
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Another addition to already great recommendations above is Casshern Sins. It's deep and futuristic/post-apocalyptic.
Old 2011-10-31, 20:44   Link #7
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I recommend anything directed by Mamoru Oshii. The dude loves to be deep and loves basset hounds. So Ghost in the Shell(movie), Ghost in the Shell 2, Patlabor and Patlabor 2 are all great and meaningful. I'd add Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer but that would probably require watching UY the series and that is not so deep or meaningful.

I'll concur with the Ghost in the Shell:SAC recommendation. The TV series also has Yoko Kanno as the composer so it has awesome music.
Old 2011-10-31, 23:09   Link #8
drimof87

You've probably already seen it but Cowboy Bebop does become deep, especially toward the end. I guess the presentation makes it hard not to think it is anyway.

it definately checks off the neo-futuristic setting and adds some post-apocalyptic in certain places.
Old 2011-11-01, 00:35   Link #9
ecksplisit

Thanks for the recommendations! I actually have seen Death Note, i just haven't updated my list in forever and a half. I just finished Steins;Gate. It was definitely one of the better animes. I've also seen Phantom. Seeing as how I enjoyed these anime, I'll take your words for granted and check them all out. I've also been planning to watch Haibane Renmei for a while now. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 2011-11-01, 00:54   Link #10
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I second Madoka... and Evangelion.

Dunno if Code Geass qualifies.
Old 2011-11-01, 12:35   Link #11
DrSmith

I second Haibane Renmei.

Another one could be Boogiepop Phantom.
Old 2011-11-01, 15:09   Link #12
kitten320

Glad to hear that
Since you liked those shows, I'll strongly suggest Madoka and Rainbow series.
Rainbow tended to give me similar vibes as Phantom and Madoka has more connections to Stein;Gate than it originally seems.
Old 2011-11-01, 15:35   Link #13
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I strongly recommend Oujisan no Lamp. It's just a one episode special but it's a very touching story about a guy and his failing business. I also second Blue Literature, Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, Mushishi, Casshern Sins and Usagi Drop.

Others that I can recommend are:
Ano Hana - Drama about a bunch of childhood friends redisocvering their lost bonds.
Grave of the Fireflies - Drama about orphans struggling to survive in a country at war.
Honey & Clover - Romance between college students.
Now and Then, Here and There - A guy transported to a very cruel world.
Kara no Kyoukai - Especially the 3th and 5th films. Dark supernatural mystery series about a girl who has a desire to murder.
Planetes - Political Sci-fi about garbage men astronauts.
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - About a girl who learns the value of time.
Fullmetal Alchemist - I'm surprised to find this is not on your list already...

Last edited by Haak; 2011-11-01 at 15:47.
Old 2011-11-01, 18:03   Link #14
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Also going to second the 2nd Patlabor movie. Heck even anything by Mamoru Ooshi or Satoshi Kon you can't go wrong. Also My Neighbours the Yamada's is a pretty thought provoking movie in rather light hearted package. Another Ghibli I'd recommend is Only Yesterday and while I'm still on the subject of movies the recent Colorful (2010) and 2006's FLAG are pretty deep and emotionally involving and FLAG has one of the most interesting point of view styles I've ever seen in a TV anime.
Old 2011-11-02, 01:22   Link #15
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Kino's Journey - Very thought-provoking series about a boy going through various countries with different social/ethical problems.

Now and Then, Here and There - Most chilling tale about war and child slavery I've ever seen. Pretty essential viewing.

Asatte no Houkou - Young girl and adult woman with differing issues end up swapping ages. Things get complicated but are handled with a rare charm and maturity.

Bartender - The issues/tales of adults told while exploring the history of alcohol.

Haibane Renmei - Purgatory, redemption and raison d'etre.

Kurenai - Growing up but in a more mature way and within a very different type of cast.

Paranoia Agent - Psychological thriller but also cuts apart modern society without holding back.

Serial Experiments Lain - Predicted where the Internet would take modern life, but goes even deeper than that.

The Tatami Galaxy - Very different method of storytelling, art and characterisation while being brutally frank about the inevitable regrets of college life.
Old 2011-11-02, 08:17   Link #16
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Shigofumi has meaningfull stories that has some drama (but every episode focuses on a different character), eventhough it's an anime with a supernatural theme about some spiritual girl that delivers letters from the dead to the living.
Old 2011-11-02, 19:35   Link #17
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
If you can tolerate its simplistic designs, Kaiba is a great anime to watch. Its story is impeccibly good and emotional. You will certainly feel misty-eyed by episode 6.
Old 2011-11-03, 09:11   Link #18
DrSmith

I forgot to mention Planetes, a beautiful series about what motivates humans.

Last edited by DrSmith; 2011-11-03 at 10:35.
Closed Thread