AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-14, 08:28   Link #81
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
The first is the dialogue. It's awful. "There's no need to kill anyone over such a trifling matter." Puu-leease.
I actually find it . . .adorable xD Having Edgar say that to Raven means that Raven's the type who overreacts to the point of killing people that hurt his dear master xD *loves loyal servant characters that can fight* hehe xD
I wish it was exagerrated more though . . . as in crack level xD LOL! but I'm fine with it, Raven's already so glompable with just that xD *glomps Raven* haha xD
Oh I can't wait to see Raven in action *_*
Also for those other characters to appear *_*
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 10:33   Link #82
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I just thought Earl and Fairy just followed the correct shoujo-fantasy formula. There wasn't anything too shocking from the first episode. Fans of this genre should love this anime, fans/people who dislike this genre probally wouldn't change their minds about it.

There's bishes, talking cat, fairies and more bishies, the perfect show I'll love <3

empI really liked Raven, from the previews I thought he was Indian X_X'' Since it would have been normal to have Indian servents since it was part of the Britishire. Raven is slightly shorter then Edgar isn't he? ^_^'' I wonder why, most bishies are all in the same height (usually 180cm)
Old 2008-10-14, 10:59   Link #83
*Tamaki*

Love this show XD

Can't wait to see the second episode (Edgar really looks like Tamaki XD, & Raven is <3)
*Tamaki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 13:41   Link #84
musouka

Quote:
It's hard to do a proper judgement when one's expectations are so completely misaligned, so I won't say too much except that I wasn't terribly impressed. But there are two things in particular that I didn't like and I think I can safely assume that I can make comments on them independent of expectation. The first is the dialogue. It's awful. "There's no need to kill anyone over such a trifling matter." Puu-leease. The second is the fairly contrived premise. Fairies, earls and inherited islands. Isn't it all just an excuse for these two to go on an adventure together. I can see the premise being quickly relegated to "plot device" status.
It's not that I think the show is brilliant--or even one of the season's best--but I didn't see anything particularly wrong with the dialogue. Especially in that scene, which I thought was well done overall, and told us something about Raven's character, that he would begin to react with almost scary blood-lust over a few scratches to his master's throat. And, likewise, the fact that Edgar is so casual, meaning that this matter might be "trifling", but he probably has no issue with setting Raven upon people when it serves his interests.

And, to be honest, I'm not sure why someone would go into show called Earl and Fairy and expect...BokuIta and Emma? High school romance in Victorian England? The title itself tells you to expect fairies, earls, and, yeah implies "adventure". I don't think you can blame a show for truth in advertising.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 16:25   Link #85
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Kuroshitsuji and HtY ... tactical Earls and their "scary" Butlers...gah! I love this season.

Wonder if Raven will also use utensils as dangerous weapons?

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 16:36   Link #86
LKK

I wouldn't be surprised if Raven doesn't have some mystic powers he can tap into when he wants. He may even be from the fairy world itself. We know that some fairy folk can interact with and be seen by ordinary humans. (Nico is an example.) Maybe Raven is a member of a fairy clan that has traditionally served the Blue Knight? I'm just speculating, but there was something about the way his eyes reacted to Edgar's wounds that made me think (1) Raven can be very dangerous and (2) Raven may not be human.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 16:56   Link #87
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Raven doesn't have some mystic powers he can tap into when he wants. He may even be from the fairy world itself. We know that some fairy folk can interact with and be seen by ordinary humans. (Nico is an example.) Maybe Raven is a member of a fairy clan that has traditionally served the Blue Knight? I'm just speculating, but there was something about the way his eyes reacted to Edgar's wounds that made me think (1) Raven can be very dangerous and (2) Raven may not be human.
Raven is certainly dangerous; I got that vibe bright and clear. It would be interesting to see whether Raven is human or not. The Blue Knight is human though, isn't he? (not only Edgar, per se, but the Knight in general).

I thought Raven's reaction to Edgar's wounds was simply him being an overprotective butler, like how Sebastian reacted when that visitor slandered Ciel during the chess game.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2008-10-14, 17:06   Link #88
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
It would be interesting to see whether Raven is human or not. The Blue Knight is human though, isn't he? (not only Edgar, per se, but the Knight in general).
As far as I understand things, yes, the Blue Knight is human.

Quote:
I thought Raven's reaction to Edgar's wounds was simply him being an overprotective butler, like how Sebastian reacted when that visitor slandered Ciel during the chess game.
You're probably right. But I think it would be cool if Raven turned out to be something more.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 17:32   Link #89
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Nana-chan is SO cute.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 19:33   Link #90
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I think I saw in the opening (the new opening, the one that doesn't just re-use scenes from the first episode) it looked like his left eye was glowing, maybe both of them, so I think he does have some kind of special power, and/or can see fairies. And I've been thinking about that, Edgar (or is it Edward?) said he can't see faeries, but I get this odd feeling that the sword that he is searching for lets you see faeries as well. Items and spells that let you see faeries are common enough in fairy tales that I think it makes sense, but it's too early to see how much of actual English fairy tales they incorperate (and I hope it's a lot since that would be unusual for an anime).

Edit: Just checked the new opening, Raven definetly has something going on with his left eye, not sure what though (for some reason it reminded me of Geass, lol, wrong fandom!).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 19:42   Link #91
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Edgar says he's the descendant of the Blue Knight, but is he telling the truth or lying? I'm still iffy about that, considering how shady his actions appear to be right now.

And what about the report that Nico read in the newspaper about him? Some of it may probably be true. I still wonder whether he really killed that scientist guy at the beginning.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2008-10-14, 19:53   Link #92
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:

And what about the report that Nico read in the newspaper about him? Some of it may probably be true. I still wonder whether he really killed that scientist guy at the beginning.
That really made me wonder. It appears Edgar is much more then he appears and hopefully we'll get some good info on him. I agree also about Raven, somethings up with that guy. Gah my love for master and servants is being fulfulled this season.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 20:02   Link #93
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
And, to be honest, I'm not sure why someone would go into show called Earl and Fairy and expect...BokuIta and Emma? High school romance in Victorian England? The title itself tells you to expect fairies, earls, and, yeah implies "adventure". I don't think you can blame a show for truth in advertising.
Titles can have double meanings. There's a lot of things that "Fairy" could refer to, it doesn't have to be the obvious. And don't forget, this is an anime. Hell, I'd almost say it's a rarity to get any useful information about an anime's premise from it's title. And, no I wasn't expecting high school romance, but I was hoping for something similar to Bokura ga Ita's serious take on relationships.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 21:09   Link #94
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

saw the second episode.

Raven's awesome. Edgar's hott as usual. xD

But Lydia is becoming the damsel-in-distress I hate so much. -_-

As for the ED, is was bishie fest . . . but still . . SHOCKING O_O . . . shocking as in kinda disturbing level x_x (because of so many half nekidness) Well, that's to me, but some gals might be having nosebleeds though ^^;
Old 2008-10-14, 22:11   Link #95
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
As for the ED, is was bishie fest . . . but still . . SHOCKING O_O . . . shocking as in kinda disturbing level x_x (because of so many half nekidness) Well, that's to me, but some gals might be having nosebleeds though ^^;
Nakkid bishies!! WHERE? POINT THE WAY!!!

I made some animated GIFs of HtY which I thought I'd share here. Free to take.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2008-10-14, 22:57   Link #96
musouka

Quote:
Titles can have double meanings. There's a lot of things that "Fairy" could refer to, it doesn't have to be the obvious. And don't forget, this is an anime. Hell, I'd almost say it's a rarity to get any useful information about an anime's premise from it's title.
I'm not really sure what other meaning "fairy" could have in connotation, honestly.

Quote:
And, no I wasn't expecting high school romance, but I was hoping for something similar to Bokura ga Ita's serious take on relationships.
My point is that getting upset at the show for being a shoujo fantasy series is like me expressing disappointment in the Kannagi ("crazy shrine maidens!") thread at the lack of baseball, just because Oofuri was the last thing A1 did.

The most important thing about a show, when it comes to telling you what to expect, is obviously going to be a synopsis. Every synopsis I've seen of this show has mentions "fairies", the "earl" and a "sword". So, again, it's not like it tried to hide its obvious shoujo fantasy roots by talking about Victorian life or a romance for the ages. (Also, as far as BokuIta goes, at least Edgar is a sight less of a total asshole than Yano--and Edgar probably murdered someone in the very first episode. )
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 23:04   Link #97
golthin

Quote:
Bare chested is good enough for some people to call "naked".
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 23:32   Link #98
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Bare chested is good enough for some people to call "naked".
So I skimp on the details...meh...

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2008-10-15, 00:06   Link #99
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
I was hoping for something similar to Bokura ga Ita's serious take on relationships.
I totally hope that it WON'T be following Bokura Ga Ita's style in terms of romantic relationships . . .because that series gave me headaches x_x I honestly haven't seen much of it, but first episode already made me urge to smash someone on the face and the spoilers I've learned about the rest of its story make me either curse or puke >_>

I have nothing against its fans of course ^^; Everyone's opinions and tastes differ

Quote:
I can't find a video that has the ED only ^^; it will be too spoilery if I post it here x_x I saw it from a three-part video at youtube

Quote:
I made some animated GIFs of HtY which I thought I'd share here. Free to take.

*drools*
Old 2008-10-15, 00:44   Link #100
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
My point is that getting upset at the show for being a shoujo fantasy series is like me expressing disappointment in the Kannagi ("crazy shrine maidens!") thread at the lack of baseball, just because Oofuri was the last thing A1 did.

The most important thing about a show, when it comes to telling you what to expect, is obviously going to be a synopsis. Every synopsis I've seen of this show has mentions "fairies", the "earl" and a "sword". So, again, it's not like it tried to hide its obvious shoujo fantasy roots by talking about Victorian life or a romance for the ages.
I don't deny that my expectations were wrong, that's why I'll reassess and adjust them for the next episode. I didn't read a synopsis going in, but did read bits and pieces of the pre-hype in this thread, which was a mistake in this case... but sometimes I find it's better to go into a show knowing little about its plot because it helps eliminate preconceived notions (yes, I'm aware it completely backfired in this case, but I still think that in a lot of cases staff is just as good, sometimes even better, an indicator of a series' tone than synopsis).

But completely independent of preconceived expectations, I still think this is a weak premise. I couldn't find much of a reason, based on what I saw on the first episode, to hold particularly high expectations for this series. I might be wrong. A lot of times, I am. I have a pretty shocking history of picking good anime based on the first episode, which is why I'll never drop a series after just one ep.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, shoujo