AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-05-02, 22:02   Link #701
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

I just checked up on the EP4 Manga...the good news is they kept the battle between Krauss and Goat-Kun, which is bonus points over the Anime. But the bad news is they truncated it to about three pages...some minor trash talk, Krauss winds up and kills him in one punch. All the best stuff was completely removed...why does no one want to do this scene justice in the adaptations? It's one of the most memorable moments in the entire novel
KanonTheFurniture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 22:04   Link #702
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanonTheFurniture View Post
I just checked up on the EP4 Manga...the good news is they kept the battle between Krauss and Goat-Kun, which is bonus points over the Anime. But the bad news is they truncated it to about three pages...some minor trash talk, Krauss winds up and kills him in one punch. All the best stuff was completely removed...why does no one want to do this scene justice in the adaptations? It's one of the most memorable moments in the entire novel
Because it's comedy is too out-of-place
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 19:59   Link #703
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Quote:
It's a travesty, Goat-kun is my favorite character! I feel as though he is not being represented as he should be!
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 22:23   Link #704
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroidFanatic View Post
Because it's comedy is too out-of-place
I disagree. If that were the reason then everything with Virgilia being silly and the Siestas going BSoD wouldn't be in there. They worked that in just fine. What exactly is wrong with this? As it is the chapter ended on a weird cliffhanger IMO, going into the beginning of the Beato phonecall...if that got moved to the next chapter then there would have been room for a few more pages just to give Krauss some justice. The poor guy isn't exactly portrayed in a flattering light in most of the episodes, constantly being ganged up on by his siblings and being treated like the bad guy...this was his one chance to shine and be awesome, and it just would have been nice if it lasted longer...make it as memorable as the VN version, you know? If it were just slightly longer it could have stood out more.
Old 2011-05-04, 04:23   Link #705
orangejuicetang

Does anybody know what happened to the Umineko X manga? Is it discontinued or something?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 06:38   Link #706
Sheep_

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Does anybody know what happened to the Umineko X manga? Is it discontinued or something?
We talked about it on the last page.

Lack of raws, someone needs to buy the manga and scan it if you want to see it translated..
Old 2011-05-05, 15:36   Link #707
maximilianjenus
[E]

thanks, it's weird I rememeber reading that it was in fact being cancelled, like the shion-school arc in higurashi.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 15:13   Link #708
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
I disagree. If that were the reason then everything with Virgilia being silly and the Siestas going BSoD wouldn't be in there. They worked that in just fine. What exactly is wrong with this? As it is the chapter ended on a weird cliffhanger IMO, going into the beginning of the Beato phonecall...if that got moved to the next chapter then there would have been room for a few more pages just to give Krauss some justice. The poor guy isn't exactly portrayed in a flattering light in most of the episodes, constantly being ganged up on by his siblings and being treated like the bad guy...this was his one chance to shine and be awesome, and it just would have been nice if it lasted longer...make it as memorable as the VN version, you know? If it were just slightly longer it could have stood out more.
Make it a few pages longer, and someone would still complain the whole math bullshit was taken out...
I know how it works
Old 2011-05-10, 04:54   Link #709
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Nabiki Asakura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabiki Asakura View Post

I'm not sure about what we will do with episode 7, since we're already pretty busy now, at least until finishing mingoroshi and mtsuribayashi. Minagoroshi is ALMOST finished and someone already offered help cleaning episode 7, but I still want to wait to start thinking about it just when we have time...

I just want to announce that this changed, ok? We're actually doing episode 7 chapter 01 right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
We need raws, sweet, to this one and episode 2 @_@

Nabiki Asakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 20:56   Link #710
Sheep_

I'm heading to an anime con next weekend and they tend to have a whole corner with import manga. If I can track down the ep 2 manga or the ep X manga I'll try and buy a copy. Only problem is I have no idea how to scan in the book with out damaging it. I bent a few pages last time I scanned in my Japanese Negima! volumes for someone who wanted the q&a section.
Old 2011-05-11, 21:33   Link #711
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep_ View Post
I'm heading to an anime con next weekend and they tend to have a whole corner with import manga. If I can track down the ep 2 manga or the ep X manga I'll try and buy a copy. Only problem is I have no idea how to scan in the book with out damaging it. I bent a few pages last time I scanned in my Japanese Negima! volumes for someone who wanted the q&a section.
Is it possible to get two copies and scan one of each?

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 22:25   Link #712
Sheep_

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Is it possible to get two copies and scan one of each?
I can try? Thing is last year one volume was about $5 and I don't have a very big budget this year for the dealer's room so. Worst comes to worst I'll buy one copy of what ever I can find and hope for the best.

Hopefully I can track down a copy, last year they sold out on every Umineko manga vol they had. (which wasn't much btw, they only carry like one or two copies of lesser known titles) and I went in the afternoon on the first day of the con to.
Old 2011-05-15, 11:19   Link #713
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Nabiki Asakura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep_ View Post
I can try? Thing is last year one volume was about $5 and I don't have a very big budget this year for the dealer's room so. Worst comes to worst I'll buy one copy of what ever I can find and hope for the best.

Hopefully I can track down a copy, last year they sold out on every Umineko manga vol they had. (which wasn't much btw, they only carry like one or two copies of lesser known titles) and I went in the afternoon on the first day of the con to.
I'm couting on you then, sweet.

Episode 4 chapter 19
Episode 5 chapter 06

Last edited by Nabiki Asakura; 2011-05-15 at 18:21.
Nabiki Asakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 11:50   Link #714
Swigun
Ars Magica Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabiki Asakura View Post
Why the translator
Spoiler for Ep7:
:/
Old 2011-05-15, 12:21   Link #715
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigun View Post
Why the translator
Spoiler for Ep7:
:/
At this point in time (in the plot), there's no questioning about the gender, and Lion looks like a girl.

And even after that, I'll still keep Lion as a female.

Spoiler:
Old 2011-05-15, 13:53   Link #716
Swigun
Ars Magica Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theacefrehley View Post
At this point in time (in the plot), there's no questioning about the gender, and Lion looks like a girl.

And even after that, I'll still keep Lion as a female.

Spoiler:
It's not "better male or female?".
Spoiler for ep7:
Old 2011-05-15, 13:59   Link #717
Sheep_

Like I said I can try and get a copy, no promises. Last year was hell with trying to get a hold of anything so >.>
Old 2011-05-15, 15:07   Link #718
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigun View Post
It's not "better male or female?".
Spoiler for ep7:
Well, if you don't think Lion looks like a girl... we have a problem
The first time EP7 cover/portrait showed up, nobody speculated anything else other than 'who's that GIRL?'
Old 2011-05-15, 16:40   Link #719
Beatoriiche
Golden Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by theacefrehley View Post
Well, if you don't think Lion looks like a girl... we have a problem
The first time EP7 cover/portrait showed up, nobody speculated anything else other than 'who's that GIRL?'
not really, i saw quite a few people who also thought lion to be male.

like it was mentioned above the part of the point of lion's character is to keep his/her gender ambiguous and choosing to put down lion's gender as female in this translation was a poor choice and kind of missing the point?
Beatoriiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 16:56   Link #720
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

I agree. The whole point of the story is to keep Lion's gender ambiguous. I don't like the idea of taking it upon yourselves to change that and decide for yourselves that Lion is female when even W-H put in the effort when translating to keep the ambiguity. I really think this is a bad decision and should be changed to preserve the integrity of EP7.

Personally I think it's MORE likely that Lion is male than female, but transgendered. I know there are a lot of people with similar theories. The point is that both Ryukishi in the original and W-H in their translation were aware of the effort in the story to keep Lion's gender ambiguous...after all, what would you do in your translation when Will asks Lion 'are you a boy or a girl?' and Lion says 'I don't want to respond', when you're referring to the character clearly as female? That makes no sense. Lion's gender is ambiguous for a reason and is a source of a lot of series speculation...to take that away for the fans that only read the Manga and don't want to pick up the VN is a very bad decision for a translation group. Your job is to take the existing story and make it English. If W-H can find a way to dance around using gender-specific pronouns than you can too...anything else is just pure laziness.

I just did it when writing this post. It's possible to refer to Lion without saying 'he' or 'she'. Please don't let your personal opinions effect the translation of this story - that's just bad form.

Last edited by KanonTheFurniture; 2011-05-15 at 17:04. Reason: expanded my argument

Tags
seinen, shounen