AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 43 13.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 6.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 8.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 7.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 6.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 15 4.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 3.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 1.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 12 3.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 135 42.45%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-16, 20:08   Link #281
Jintor

This is why I shouldn't log into the thread the first thing I do in the mornings; loop's resolution on lack thereof has been spoiled.

Huh, need to build up some willpower.
Old 2009-07-16, 20:10   Link #282
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I want to ask a serious but slightly tangential question: do people actually do this for real? Like, post for the express purpose of "defending the show", or "ensuring it gets good PR"? That just seems crazy to me. If I post, it's because I'm expressing my legitimate point of view. I assume that everyone else is doing the same. I can't imagine that anyone posts with anything but their own interests in mind; they want to express their own opinion and ensure that it's represented. They're not going "oh damn, I need to do my part to change the global balance of opinion on Haruhi before it's too late!", because, really? This just seems like a not-so-classy way of dismissing people who have positive opinions, which is the same as the way people who have legitimate negative opinions feel when they're accused of being trolls.
The tone I've seen from some of the pro-Endless Eight (for lack of a better term, perhaps) posters is that of trying to silence disagreement. My experience in following politics (which is a past-time for me) is that attempts to outright silence disagreement/dissent usually amounts to damage control.

Maybe that's not the case here, and if not, I apologize.

Quote:

It's also presumptive like crazy. What are the supposed "needed changes"?
Getting on to the Disappearance arc that, from what I've heard and read and seen anyway, is what most Haruhi fans want.

Quote:
In the grand scheme of things, I think this arc will be fine. People are just extra-uptight because they're living in the moment and are watching the clock ticking (in some cases, literally...) Worse comes to worst, we can be like Kyon and make like all the other time loops never happened. This isn't the end of Haruhi. (Oh wait, am I just "doing damage control"? )

We'll see. I have a hard time believing that, except for a few who will boycott out of spite, most people won't come back when the time comes. Only time will tell, though.

I don't think we should underestimate how many casual fans this show has. You don't spawn at least two internet memes (Mikuru Beam and Hare Hare Yukai) with out having at least some appeal to a broad varied audience.

Casual fans can be fickle - it doesn't always take a lot to lose them.

I hope that you're right, but I have my doubts.
Old 2009-07-16, 20:22   Link #283
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Rental Magica aired its episode out of order, and it looks like this season's Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou is doing likewise.
Both seasons of Hidamari Sketch were broadcast out of order. They covered the same time period, the first year at high school for Yunocchi and Miyako-chan with the second season's episodes interleaved with the first.
Old 2009-07-16, 20:30   Link #284
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Both seasons of Hidamari Sketch were broadcast out of order. They covered the same time period, the first year at high school for Yunocchi and Miyako-chan with the second season's episodes interleaved with the first.
How'd I forget about that one?
Old 2009-07-16, 20:36   Link #285
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The tone I've seen from some of the pro-Endless Eight (for lack of a better term, perhaps) posters is that of trying to silence disagreement. My experience in following politics (which is a past-time for me) is that attempts to outright silence disagreement/dissent usually amounts to damage control.

Maybe that's not the case here, and if not, I apologize.
Well, I guess that everyone wants people to agree with them, and would like people who are being unreasonable in their disagreement to moderate their point of view to be less hostile (which is basically what you said, stated in another way). But unlike politics, I don't think you can assume that everyone is "loyal" to a party just because they have certain points of view. I think that the only "side" most people take is their own. Maybe I'm wrong, though, but that's always how I've tried to perceive it anyway...

Quote:
Getting on to the Disappearance arc that, from what I've heard and read and seen anyway, is what most Haruhi fans want.
Well, really, whatever decisions were made about the structure of this anime were done months and months ago. These shows have huge production lead-times. Saying something now about an arguably bad decision they made a long time ago isn't really going to change anything in our present. All we can really do is try to understand what they did and why they might have done it, and decide for ourselves whether we're going to keep watching the show.

Quote:
I don't think we should underestimate how many casual fans this show has. You don't spawn at least two internet memes (Mikuru Beam and Hare Hare Yukai) with out having at least some appeal to a broad varied audience.

Casual fans can be fickle - it doesn't always take a lot to lose them.

I hope that you're right, but I have my doubts.
But what's the bottom line of this concern? That if it becomes less popular, they won't make a sequel and the parts "we're all waiting for" won't get adapted? I guess I'm not sure I follow. But, related, I feel vaguely uneasy about playing armchair CEO here -- these people have been in this business for years and years, and didn't all of a sudden get struck by some sort of "dumb stun". What impact do these fickle casual fans have on Kadokawa's bottom line, anyway? I guess it's fun to speculate, but only time will tell.
Old 2009-07-16, 20:54   Link #286
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
But what's the bottom line of this concern? That if it becomes less popular, they won't make a sequel and the parts "we're all waiting for" won't get adapted? I guess I'm not sure I follow. But, related, I feel vaguely uneasy about playing armchair CEO here -- these people have been in this business for years and years, and didn't all of a sudden get struck by some sort of "dumb stun". What impact do these fickle casual fans have on Kadokawa's bottom line, anyway? I guess it's fun to speculate, but only time will tell.
Is it too harsh for me to wish Kadokawa should receive some sort of tangible backlash which would decisively help them to reconsider their tactics and serve it as a future reference for the other anime industry? I agree with you. Casual fans may not make up for most of their consumable goods such as anime and games. The question is how will the faithful ones are receiving this stunt/ballsy-act? Are the getting equally frustrated? Is Kadokawa taking its adoring fanbase who contribute to their economy the most for granted? Yes, time will tell.

For what its worth, the overall production value of this episode was the most superior among the 4 endless. Nothing discernible came out of it, well, other than some tacky fanservice.
Old 2009-07-16, 21:09   Link #287
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
I'm watching a raw now. So far, every frame is identical to the 3rd episode/instance of Endless Eight that's been shown. Either this is a re-run, the raw provider messed up and uploaded the wrong file, or Kyo Ani is so precise in their work that they duplicated an earlier episode with machine precision.
Doesn't sound like what the others have described.

I'm still waiting for subs...
Old 2009-07-16, 21:16   Link #288
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Endless summer is endless.
This'll sum up the reaction to the episode.
Spoiler for Meanwhile at KyoAni:

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
Old 2009-07-16, 21:43   Link #289
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The last time I saw a fan reaction to a television show that accomplished anything was the fans of "Farscape" managing to take out the Sci-Fi channel's communications networks by overloading them with faxs, e-mails, phone calls and whatnots. They managed to get one more movie out of them after they cancelled the show...but that was it. But for some of them...it was enough.
Old 2009-07-16, 21:43   Link #290
ReneeBurossamu

I have to say, even with all the raging, I don't actually find the episodes "the worst" in terms of art quality. I'd be willing to watch all the episodes, with the exception of the 3rd Endless Eight.

Also I'm watching episode 06 right now. Am I the only one who notices that everyone goes home in different directions in each episode? It's weird. Let me guess, Haruhi did it.
Old 2009-07-16, 21:49   Link #291
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I noticed that Haruhi is pretty damn curvy.

And having just saw the episode, LOL at Kyoani trying to mind fuck us with
Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-16, 21:52   Link #292
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

When hasn't KyoAni been trying to "mind fuck" with us? At least when it comes to Haruhi I mean.
Old 2009-07-16, 21:53   Link #293
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

Mazui Subs out now, I was at work and looked at the poll earlier this morning, it was enough to tell me that it didnt end :P.
Old 2009-07-16, 21:53   Link #294
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Spoiler for Difference and Things of Interest:

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
Old 2009-07-16, 22:15   Link #295
Solachinx
is a myth

I claimed Nice Watch earlier in the thread.
Old 2009-07-16, 22:24   Link #296
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well we have Haruhi as Rena of Higurashi.

Now lets see who will be Beatrice for Umineko, hmmm?
Old 2009-07-16, 22:29   Link #297
Solachinx
is a myth

Kyon is Keiichi!

Keiichi= K1
Kyon= K4

They both use bats! At one point! And they both look alike and have obsessions with redheads!
Old 2009-07-16, 22:39   Link #298
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
This is why I shouldn't log into the thread the first thing I do in the mornings; loop's resolution on lack thereof has been spoiled.

Huh, need to build up some willpower.
I have to agree. Until endless eight, i always watched the episode before seeing the thread, but now... In the first pages i'm already looking to see someone saying "Ended!" or "%*&%*&%*& KYOANI MOTHER*******".... Maybe it spoils the surprise, but everything is fair in love, war and endless eight.
Old 2009-07-16, 22:47   Link #299
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Are they still on Namek?

Are they still in Soul Society?

Are they still in Endless Eight?

LOL

Obligatory 1/10 vote right here. But this week I am LOL'zing a lot more than raging though.
Old 2009-07-16, 22:56   Link #300
mokuseimaru

One thing I'd like to know is: what kind of ratings has the show been getting? The only sites I've found for that are in Japanese.
Closed Thread