AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-01-22, 15:09   Link #61
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
That sort of goes against what Lucius would have done. He was trying to make up new ideas when he gets dumped in the future, and as such it's his priority to get as much information out of his circumstances rather than try to teach others. Basically, the situation itself goes against any attempt by Lucius to teach others.

More importantly, Lucius would be speaking Latin. I doubt anyone short of people over at the Vatican would truly understand what he is saying.
I didnt mean to say he is supposed to hold a lecture. One of the things I like about this anime is precisely the fact that they dont make Lucius mysteriously understand japanese.
I am pretty sure, that if the creators of this anime wanted, they could come up with some ideas how to make the information flow balanced.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 15:27   Link #62
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I didnt mean to say he is supposed to hold a lecture. One of the things I like about this anime is precisely the fact that they dont make Lucius mysteriously understand japanese.
I am pretty sure, that if the creators of this anime wanted, they could come up with some ideas how to make the information flow balanced.
They could always have a Japanese guy warp to ancient Rome. But the real problem, again, is that, for all that the Roman pioneered some really great things for their time, they'd have practically nothing of value to teach a modern man.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 17:06   Link #63
Undertaker

Exactly, and it's not like Lucius is Mark Anthony or Julius Caesar where they can offer insights to historically important event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
You seem to be forgetting, that our ability to recognize pictograms comes from our lifetime exposure to them. A person who has never had contact with abstract pictograms would not be able to read it. It is possible though he would touch the button out of curiosity and trigger the toilett function accidently and discovering this way, what the buttons are for. But it didnt happen that way, did it?
If the pictograms looks like hieroglyphs or Chinese characters or even stick figure then, maybe. But we are talking about a picture with a little man, I really don't think it would be that hard to figure out.

And like I said, he doesn't even need to figure it out, the picture attracts him, he touches it and it just happen to be the water spread. That's not really that out of stretch, it not like he is playing with the controls and changing temperature and the strength of the water...
Old 2012-01-22, 23:49   Link #64
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I just watched eps 3 and 4 (i.e. ep 2) and, to quote my assessment of last weeks eps:

Hats off to the folks that dreamt this bizarre and extremely funny series up!

8/10 vote for this ep from me. Just ... too ... funny!
Old 2012-01-23, 06:22   Link #65
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They could always have a Japanese guy warp to ancient Rome. But the real problem, again, is that, for all that the Roman pioneered some really great things for their time, they'd have practically nothing of value to teach a modern man.
What have the Romans ever done for us?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 15:45   Link #66
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Their road system springs to mind. So do their aqueducts and indoor plumbing.

Or you could just look there.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 15:51   Link #67
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Their road system springs to mind. So do their aqueducts and indoor plumbing.

Or you could just look there.
Beat me to the punch ... yes indeed, Western European society in particular has much to thank the ancient Romans for.
Old 2012-01-23, 17:22   Link #68
Undertaker

Yeah, Roman to Europe is like China to East Asia and Persin for Middle East. The impact is profound.

But with that being said, like Anh_Minh mention, the time gap makes it nonsense for Lucius to teach anything to modern people, especially when he's not even a notable historical figure.
Old 2012-01-23, 18:58   Link #69
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So apparently the subbers no longer feel the need to list shows here at AS? It's not like WhyNot and gg haven't listed here before. Is this an indication that subbers now think AS is irrelevant?

I'm downloading the WhyNot episode one torrent now. gg's comments about the closing song exude a degree of arrogance that rivals Newt Gingrich's and discouraged me from watching their version.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 19:01   Link #70
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I've traveled some in Europe, and when you visit old, old cities with ruins still accessible very often the guide tell you, "you can always tell which ruins are Roman - they're much more advanced than the more recent constructions." Roman aqueducts are still in use in some places. They were amazingly advanced for their time, but that said, I very much doubt there are many technical advances they could share with a 21st-century Japanese.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 19:19   Link #71
testtesttest

comedy tag
testtesttest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 06:43   Link #72
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
gg's comments about the closing song exude a degree of arrogance that rivals Newt Gingrich's and discouraged me from watching their version.
I didn't know there were people left that weren't familiar with GG's trolling
Old 2012-01-26, 19:25   Link #73
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I didn't know there were people left that weren't familiar with GG's trolling
I know; sometimes that kind of stuff just seems so juvenile, though.

Well this was a very pleasant surprise. I actually like the flat animation style; it feels somehow more "Roman" since it doesn't have depth-of-field. (This isn't what I think of as "superflat" though; it seems more like adapting the tools, Flash I believe, to fit a style.)

On the subject of Roman pictograms, I'm sure with a large illiterate population, and many spoken languages, icons and images must have been pretty common. When I visited Pompeii a couple years' back, the guide made sure to point out a particular iconic marker on the stone walkway. It was made of metal and set in the paving stones; the design itself consisted of a pair of testicles and an erect penis pointing to the brothel. It wasn't far from where the Roman ships docked so the sailors would know where to go.

Those of you enjoying this for the "culture clash" aspects should watch Ikoku Meiro no Croisee if you haven't yet done so.

One more episode to go, I guess. Lucius's sexual orientation has so far been a mystery. Still when the Emperor calls, the citizen must comply.

Wasn't that Marcello Mastroianni from his La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2 period with the shovel (?) in episode four?
Old 2012-01-26, 19:33   Link #74
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Ep 5 actually became available a little while ago....

Oh yes - and I totally agree with Seiji on recommending Ikoku for those interested in culture clashes.

Edit: Totally forgot to mention, ep 5 was great! The stuffed hippo scene especially caught me off guard....

*sigh*

A great series! Although I thought there were supposed to be 6 eps for some reason?

Edit: NM ... ep 6 is available.

Last edited by Flower; 2012-01-26 at 23:42.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-26, 23:38   Link #75
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Great finale - what a shame the series was so brief. That great Japanese wonder, ramen - democratic and cheap, a food of the people - fitting for a story about the bath.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 09:16   Link #76
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Such a shame it's already over. I would have loved to see Lucius's journey to Jerusalem.
Old 2012-01-27, 11:13   Link #77
Frijolitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Such a shame it's already over. I would have loved to see Lucius's journey to Jerusalem.
You just might. A live action movie is in the works as is being reported; Lucius is dark haired in the movie. I hope we will be able to have access to a subbed version of the movie as I would enjoy watching it. Watched the final eps 5 and 6 last night...very amusing and entertaining. 7/10
Frijolitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 11:28   Link #78
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If I were running noitaminA, I'd commission another half-dozen episodes once the manga has moved along sufficiently. The production costs must be ultra-competitive compared to regular shows.

I had wondered in the earlier episodes about the extensive generosity shown by the Japanese to Lucius. Not until episode six did he actually pay for anything.

Throughout the show I've thought there's a subtle satirical undertone about technological borrowing. The Japanese are traditionally seen by Westerners as have borrowed their technologies then improved upon them. It's amusing to see the tables being turned here with Japan as the source of technological and cultural innovation.
Old 2012-01-27, 13:09   Link #79
ookamigirl

The bandits, the hot spring time travel, blondie roman guy -> ROFL
This is the best anime this season!!
I'm sad it was over so quickly...

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-27, 15:18   Link #80
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The Roman Empire, conquering and uniting the known world with legions, law and the bath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Throughout the show I've thought there's a subtle satirical undertone about technological borrowing. The Japanese are traditionally seen by Westerners as have borrowed their technologies then improved upon them. It's amusing to see the tables being turned here with Japan as the source of technological and cultural innovation.
There's definitely an element of satire, but I don't feel it's quite along those lines. It's more like a timely reminder of the simple wonders of home that are so often taken for granted.

To put it another way, it takes a foreigner to tell me why he or she loves Singapore — for its law and order, its cleanliness, its relatively low level of crime and its high level of racial tolerance — where I would see an suffocating bureaucracy, littering by uncouth seniors, kickbacks in high places and a simmering envy of filthy-rich high-rollers from abroad.

At a time of such low levels of national self-confidence in Japan, it's great to see something like this. A nation that can still laugh at itself is a nation that can find the will to rise and rise again.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen