AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-12, 00:19   Link #521
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
I thought Sentarou was adopted into this family? His mom left, his grandma passed away and his father worked away.
Actually, I believe his father is some Western navy man, likely an American. Sentarou's mother abandoned him at birth and his grandmother took him in. The man who "abandoned" Sentarou after his grandmother died was his uncle, if I'm not mistaken.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 01:20   Link #522
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
Tons. Run away. Far, far away.
Close male friendships yes. But with strong platonic overtones, not Homosexual in nature.

Furthermore, considering that a running sub-plot are about Hetrosexual Love loops and tangles....
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 01:49   Link #523
gianna
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think this is one of the situations where having read the manga is probably a detriment to enjoying the anime on its own terms. I'm glad I'm not burdened with that.
I just keep repeating myself and rambling but I'm loving the anime just as much as the manga

Sure there were one or two things I wanted to see that were cut
But again despite that what has needed to be established has been (evident by comments of those only watching the anime) and so long as they drive that point strongly by the end then... Well I look forward to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Actually, I believe his father is some Western navy man, likely an American. Sentarou's mother abandoned him at birth and his grandmother took him in. The man who "abandoned" Sentarou after his grandmother died was his uncle, if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah an American sailor
I think though his uncle and his wife took in Sen as their own first (until later as you know) and the grandma was around because she lived with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myname View Post
This series seems to be very hyped up. Not sure if I want to watch it though, from what screenshots I saw there seems to be a lot of gay subtext in here.

How much focus is there on the bromance?
Sen loves Kaoru
Not romantically but if you don't care to see two males going through the good and bad in the ups and downs in friendship don't watch
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 02:32   Link #524
Morisato

It's borderline but not quite. Kind of like Train and Creed in Black Cat.
Morisato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 02:52   Link #525
Kakkou
Tch.

^ Really bad analogy. This is nothing like Train and Creed's relationship in Black Cat.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 05:11   Link #526
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Honestly as an anime only viewer, while things do go at a brisk pace, I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything. A lot of what people seem to think constitutes tons of meaningful development that is cut out probably really isn't in reality.

The show transitions seamlessly and it's still very heart felt. It's been very enjoyable and practically flawless imo.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 05:16   Link #527
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Indeed. The events go by pretty fast but I've never once felt it's gone so fast that I can't take it all it in so there's no lack of emotional involvement. So it whilst it goes fast I don't think it's rushed.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 05:19   Link #528
Dr. Casey

In 1966 I was still 21 years away from being born
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 05:19   Link #529
Lilith
Your average fangirl

So it's the uncle. Thanks for reminding me.

Okay how about this: Sentaro and Kaoru relationship is like... Gon and Killua's from Hunter x Hunter. And instead of hunter exam, it's jazz.
Old 2012-05-12, 07:32   Link #530
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
That's my understanding as well. So, as far as I know, there's no adult living in Sentarou's household. He is the surrogate parent himself.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 07:37   Link #531
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
That's my understanding as well. So, as far as I know, there's no adult living in Sentarou's household. He is the surrogate parent himself.
Then who was the obasan taking care of the kids in the home behind the store?
Old 2012-05-12, 10:54   Link #532
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Then who was the obasan taking care of the kids in the home behind the store?
Unexplained. Readers of the novel would probably know, but as far as anime viewers are concerned, it's a minor detail that can be easily glossed over. In my case, at least, I'm not particularly curious about who she actually is. If I had to guess, I'd say she's a neighbour who plays surrogate mother to Sentarou, having very possibly taken him in after he had been abandoned by his uncle. The younger kids are probably the woman's own — that is, they may not actually be Sentarou's cousins. Since he's the eldest among them, the children would naturally address him as "elder brother".
Old 2012-05-12, 11:53   Link #533
gianna
gigi

Look at the picture in episode four
That is Sen with his uncle, his uncle's wife, and baby Sachiko
She is the mother of all his cousins who he still lives with

It wasn't skipped so much as not said in direct words but what you see in the picture is about the amount it was focused on originally

Though I wonder how much meaning 'kaa-chan' and 'tou-chan' have for him
He and the kids definitely love and look to each other close as natural born siblings

Last edited by gianna; 2012-05-12 at 12:18.
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 20:11   Link #534
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianna View Post
Look at the picture in episode four
That is Sen with his uncle, his uncle's wife, and baby Sachiko
She is the mother of all his cousins who he still lives with
I didn't think the woman and the children are related to Sentarou because, while I can understand his uncle abandoning him, I find it hard to imagine him leaving his own wife and kids in the lurch. I'll have to re-watch the scene you mentioned.

EDIT: Ah, I see now. Sentarou's mother, Yasuko, is the elder sister of Sentarou's uncle. The uncle didn't actually abandon him, but rather moved to another prefecture to find work after losing his job. The uncle has likely returned home more than a few times, though, since that early photo gianna mentioned shows only Sentarou's eldest cousin, Sachiko; the family has since grown a lot larger. And the confusion many viewers have about Sentarou's parentage stems from the fact that he addresses his uncle and aunt as "father" and "mother".

Meanwhile, regarding the discussion about Kaoru's self-centeredness, I like how it serves as a foil to Sentarou's generosity and loyalty to friends. It's very much the same fire-and-ice dichotomy that Watanabe last explored with Mugen and Jin back in Samurai Champloo. It's easy to see why Ri'ko would be in love with Sentarou; he manages to retain a certain purity of spirit in spite of his rundown lot in life.

And, oh, it occurs to me that Ri'ko likely started attending church because of Sentarou. It's not stated, I think, but I suspect Sentarou drifted into church because of a longing to be closer to the father he never knew (and also possibly because he had nowhere else to belong, with most of his peers having ostracised him for being half-gaijin). It seems clear that Sentarou doesn't really care about religion. Ironically, it's Ri'ko who became more invested in it than him.

Or is it the other way round? Was it in church that Sentarou first met Ri'ko?

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2012-05-12 at 21:00.
Old 2012-05-12, 22:29   Link #535
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

episode 5 was actually really good, my favorite so far. Friend-zoned!
Old 2012-05-13, 09:57   Link #536
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I guess this episode brings back the creed from the theme song to one of Watanabe's classic anime, "Earth girls are easy, so watcha gonna do little buckeroo (hey you better ask her nice), cause all ya gotta do, happy fool is ask your mom!"

Very classy episode again as I've come to expect from this show. Reckoner is right, Watanabe just makes this look easy.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 10:20   Link #537
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Amazing episode. I wonder whats going down with Brother Jun, seems his romance might not work out afterall. Though from what that guy said, he's a player anyways, so I guess he wasn't interested anyways. Everyone's gonna end up alone!
Old 2012-05-13, 11:39   Link #538
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

I'm kind of (pleasantly) surprised Sentarou and Kaoru were actually shown drinking shochu and getting drunk instead of a copout like drinking "juice".
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 12:05   Link #539
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Though from what that guy said, he's a player anyways, so I guess he wasn't interested anyways. Everyone's gonna end up alone!
I imagine he's in an affair with a hot lady also named "Yurika" (because of what he said earlier "what a coincidence...").

I'd accept anything but Jun hung up on a a dead memory. -_-
Old 2012-05-13, 13:00   Link #540
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
I imagine he's in an affair with a hot lady also named "Yurika" (because of what he said earlier "what a coincidence...").
He said that because the name of his family's shop is "Shirayuri" (white lily). The "yuri" in Yurika's name is the same "lily".
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, shoujo, slice of life